Are The Olympic Games Officially The 2nd Biggest Sporting Event On The Planet?

Has the IOC accepted the fact that they are now playing 2nd fiddle to the WC?

Where does that leave the US since we really aren't that interested in soccer (or whatever you call it in the rest of the world?)

Why isn't the US a preferred partner since we see the Olympics as WAY more important than the WC, unlike the rest of the world.

Where was it said that the WC is bigger than the Olympics??

I think I came across some reference where the IOC did not dispute that.

But see, that takes the onus out of the IOC as being the biggest blood-sucking sports entity. So I would think they would be happy to sit back, enjoy thier billions, and let FIFA take all the potshots for being what the IOC used to be.

It's bigger in, like, for a 'football-crazy country like Brazil in that more people can attend a few matches in the nearby 10-12 cities vs. having to trek the Olympic city to watch a match live. One is PHYSICALLY more spread out selling more tix whereas the other one is a highly concentrated happening. Also while the Olympix packs it in 17 days, WCs are apread a little over a month. ANd if one were to construct a dozen NEW state-of-the-art stadia, I think those cost more than the various stadia needed for an Olympics.

So spatially, fiscally and temporally, it is LARGER.

But in terms of $$ drawn, and combined TV audiences that Olympic events can attract, the Os are bigger (save perhaps for the finals of a WC).

I think the bigger question is: why is the IOC the bigger 'drama queen' than FIFA? I mean FIFA is very low-key in finding its 'sucka' nations and having them sign on the dotted line. The IOC has their whole process played OUT before the world with trumpets and kings and queens (of every kind). But FIFA conducts their behind-closed-doors.

Is FIFA more closeted? :blink:

StirtheSoul still does not accept Rio won and Chicago was cut out first! Hahahahah dude WC and SOG are too different events. WC is all what brazilians ever wanted, they are crazy bout soccer. And SOG is so new and now they are thrilled for 2016, many will have different opinions. And it's a feeling your 80%+ Chicago civilains didn't have. No Passion No Games.

The Olympics is probably overshadowed by the world cup in terms of size and in footballing countries in terms of popularity, but the Olympics is top dog in so many other areas. Its history, its symbolism, its archaic but wonderful traditions, its legends, the politics behind it all, the whole circus, the flamboyant and often ridiculous ceremonies, the oneupmanship etc. etc.

The world cup has its sporting history and it may be bigger physically and perhaps even financially in certain territories, but it's not the same. The Olympics is an event Presidents crave for their nation and for the prestige it brings, the world cup doesn't quite have that same power over the people at the top.

Why isn't the US the preferred partner? Well, history would suggest it is in many ways. The US can hardly moan that much. Yesterday's shock exit will be forgotten about soon enough. SLC, Atlanta, LA84 won't be. And I'm confident the US will get another games before 2030.

I don't quite understand your logic. Is the Olympics the biggest event for US audiences? Does the US see the Olympics as way more important than the Superbowl?

The Olympics is probably overshadowed by the world cup in terms of size and in footballing countries in terms of popularity, but the Olympics is top dog in so many other areas. Its history, its symbolism, its archaic but wonderful traditions, its legends, the politics behind it all, the whole circus, the flamboyant and often ridiculous ceremonies, the oneupmanship etc. etc.

The world cup has its sporting history and it may be bigger physically and perhaps even financially in certain territories, but it's not the same. The Olympics is an event Presidents crave for their nation and for the prestige it brings, the world cup doesn't quite have that same power over the people at the top.

Exactly. I don't think China would view hosting a World Cup as their coming out party. And even if Brazilians value the WC more the pressure of holding an Olympics (all those events and venues and athletes--and those ceremonies and heads of state to impress) is a lot different from the pressure of hosting a WC (especially in a soccer-crazy country with lots of stadiums in place.)

They are two very different events in almost every single detail and I think both are equally important, but one thing is undeniable: the WC brings more passion around it.

I think the Olympics provides a stage for the best athletes (except in football) to shine. You can find a Brazilian rooting for a US Swimmer or the opposite. However, in the WC rivalry is in place. It's a battle where people are usually choosing a side.

So the WC brings more attention and passion. In countries where football is the first sport, the WC gets more attention, for sure. And Brazil is one of these countries.

However, those countries would also be a fantastic growth platform for the IOC. That's why going to Africa and South America is so important. In Brazil alone, there are 190 million people that will give more attention to the Olympic Games and to Olympic sports audience and practice.

StirtheSoul still does not accept Rio won and Chicago was cut out first! Hahahahah dude WC and SOG are too different events. WC is all what brazilians ever wanted, they are crazy bout soccer. And SOG is so new and now they are thrilled for 2016, many will have different opinions. And it's a feeling your 80%+ Chicago civilains didn't have. No Passion No Games.

Hey Boston, I accept it......and after 24 hours of sadness, I think it was the right decision, though I hate how it came down.

Agreed.....the citizens were not totally behind Chicago 2016, not even close. :(

p.s. you said somewhere Boston was "green" or something like that. How about representing that in your signature instead of the glass and steel. And anyway...your Hancock doesn't compare to ours, and ours is bigger. (kinda kidding, they're both fantastic.) :P

I have to say though, and perhaps this topic is the best place to say it, that I'd still rather Rio had lost. That's not because I don't want Rio to host (because I do!), but because I still feel that the world cup so shortly before will take some of the gloss of their Olympics. A bit of breathing space between the two would have been preferable, for me (the IOC obviously disagree).

That's not to say I don't think Rio will do a fantasic job, and I'm sure I'll enjoy their games a lot. But the world cup is still a thorn in the side of Rio's victory from my personal stand point.

I'm worried it'll feel like a follow up to the world cup, rather than a fantastic event in its own right.

Go out and prove me wrong, please!

Rob, even people in Brazil are taking now the World Cup as an appetizer for the Olympic Games...

There are now lots of discussion on the Opening Ceremony for Rio 2016... No doubts that this will be the maximum momentum for Brazil... Well, if Brazil won the World Cup in Maracana, Opening Ceremony will be even bigger... Imagine the two events and parties connected...

As a Canadian and North American, the Olympics are more important. I think the Aussies, US Americans, and many Asian and some smaller European nations would agree. World Cup has some interest here, but the Olympics are much bigger...because we get to send a team. LOL!

Rob, even people in Brazil are taking now the World Cup as an appetizer for the Olympic Games...

There are now lots of discussion on the Opening Ceremony for Rio 2016... No doubts that this will be the maximum momentum for Brazil... Well, if Brazil won the World Cup in Maracana, Opening Ceremony will be even bigger... Imagine the two events and parties connected...

Well, we'll see. I'm yet to be convinced, though I want very much to be... :)

I think only time will tell. I'll support Rio 2016 of course, but I'll still have a nagging feeling...

I don't think anyone in Brazil considers the World Cup to be less important than the Olympics. I am totally in love with the Olympic sports and I still get more excited when it's time to the World Cup. Some people even believe it should be better to have the presidential election in another year, because people only think about football in the WC year.

PS: now I understand the appeal of the London logo. You can do pretty much anything with it.

I have to say though, and perhaps this topic is the best place to say it, that I'd still rather Rio had lost. That's not because I don't want Rio to host (because I do!), but because I still feel that the world cup so shortly before will take some of the gloss of their Olympics. A bit of breathing space between the two would have been preferable, for me (the IOC obviously disagree).

That's not to say I don't think Rio will do a fantasic job, and I'm sure I'll enjoy their games a lot. But the world cup is still a thorn in the side of Rio's victory from my personal stand point.

I'm worried it'll feel like a follow up to the world cup, rather than a fantastic event in its own right.

Go out and prove me wrong, please!

Rob,

I will deeply disagree with you. And I will tell you why.

In the WC announcement, I don't remember where I was, what time was it, anything. I don't even recall the celebrations. I did not get emotional. We knew we would host the WC sooner or later. It was something I have always expected to see in my lifetime.

Yesterday was a day I will remember for as long as I live. I have cried and I have celebrated, even as far from my country as I am. This day will be a scar in my life like the death of Ayrton Senna, the winning of the 94 WC, 9/11, the election of Tancredo Neves (end of dictatorship when I was only 7). It was one of these days that you would never expect. There was no such joy when we got the WC. The SOG means more. It was clear the response of the country. Even some people openly against the bid have recognized their emotion and pride.

So, be prepared because the WC will not overshadow it and it will be memorable Games.

I agree with aluz on that. We all knew Brazil would host the WC sooner or later. In the end, there were no rival bids, and Brazil was acclaimed the host.

Rio de Janeiro, on the other hand, not only had to face some of the world's top cities in order to become the Olympic host, but also the opposition of the Brazilian media, that mocked the fact that we were nurturing this ridiculous dream of becoming Olympic hosts after big failures in 2004 and 2012.

I still feel the Brazilian people will care much more about the World Cup. However, I am looking forward to Rio 2016 the most. I just don't know, however, if the real thing can top all the emotions I felt yesterday.

Now if Brazil will be really GOOD hosts for 2014 and 2016, they should lose football in the early rounds!! :lol:

Baron, we have already blew it at home once. This time we are going with everything to bring it home.

Scolari, the coach who brought the 02 WC, answered in a recent interview that the wors job ever is to be the coach of Brazil for 2014. There is only one acceptable result: winning.

Hey Boston, I accept it......and after 24 hours of sadness, I think it was the right decision, though I hate how it came down.

Agreed.....the citizens were not totally behind Chicago 2016, not even close. :(

p.s. you said somewhere Boston was "green" or something like that. How about representing that in your signature instead of the glass and steel. And anyway...your Hancock doesn't compare to ours, and ours is bigger. (kinda kidding, they're both fantastic.) :P

well I'll be changing my sig sometimes, oh yea both hancock re amazin, But I put this pic cuz I took it myself it's one o my fav architectural ones. And we're gonna get 3 supertall (3rd us biggest, but Chicago still have it =\) skyscrapers by 2011, but they said it won't affect the city's greeness, and that means Boston has room for venues :)

I think the Olympics is still the pinnacle of world sport... maybe not the largest event though. The best athletes of every country compete at the Olympics where as only the best football players from the top 32 nations compete in the World Cup; therefore being successful at the Olympics holds more prestege because everybody's there. Also, the olympics is very popular in every nation worldwide; but there are numerous countries (US, Canada, Aus, NZ, China, India) that aren't as keen on football and the World Cup.

Archived