Australia in 2006WC

On another note, I heard an interesting story this morning on TalkSport Radio.  Apparently, a story has come out of Australia that you have managed to qualify because you have gotten a witch doctor's curse lifted!  :shocked:

When you qualified last time in 1974, before the game with Mozambique the Australians allegedly asked a witch doctor to hex the other team.  After qualifying, you 'forgot' to pay the witch doctor who then reversed the curse.  This time round, a rich sports fan has apparently traced and paid the witch doctor, thus paving the way for you to now qualify.

Has anyone else heard this story and is there any grain of truth to this?  :wink:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or Spain! :wwww:

:glare:

Now don't be like that Mikel!  You have hinted to this yourself in other posts!  Besides, whenever everyone believes that Spain has a chance they underperform.  Therefore, it's a good thing that nobody fancies them - you might do very well  :D

On another note, I heard an interesting story this morning on TalkSport Radio.  Apparently, a story has come out of Australia that you have managed to qualify because you have gotten a witch doctor's curse lifted!  :shocked:

When you qualified last time in 1974, before the game with Mozambique the Australians allegedly asked a witch doctor to hex the other team.  After qualifying, you 'forgot' to pay the witch doctor who then reversed the curse.  This time round, a rich sports fan has apparently traced and paid the witch doctor, thus paving the way for you to now qualify.

Has anyone else heard this story and is there any grain of truth to this?  :wink:

Yep, it's true.  Except it wasn't a rich sports fan who paid to get it lifted, rather a TV comedian!!!

It pays to have the voodoo gods on your side!

Does everybody in Australia believe they have been under a curse then?  How strange :laughlong:

Nuh _ nobody really knew about it until the story surfaced earlier this week. Just one of those colour stories the press pick up amidst all the other coverage on the games comingg up.

Well, the draw is on December 9th. at Leipzig. Let's hope that Australia gets a "favorable" draw on that date.
It would be nice to see an England-USA-Australia group. Or would that be the "Terror Target" group?

I wonder if security concerns will be at play in forming the Groups -- altho I had heard that early foreign buyers were required to enter their passport nos. when they purchased over the net.

It would be nice to see an England-USA-Australia group. Or would that be the "Terror Target" group?

I wonder if security concerns will be at play in forming the Groups -- altho I had heard that early foreign buyers were required to enter their passport nos. when they purchased over the net.

Wasn't Iran drawn in the same group as the US in one of the recent World Cups?

Wasn't Iran drawn in the same group as the US in one of the recent World Cups?

THat was for the one in France in '98.

What a horrendous thought. We'd probably go out.

Why not a group with all the Dutch managers who qualified for this World Cup:

Marco van Basten - The Netherlands

Dick Advocaat      - South-Korea

Guus Hiddink        - Australia

Leo Beenhakker    - Trinidad & Tobago

Thank God that's impossible (non of these countries will be seeded). Guus is way to brilliant for stupid Marco...

Thank God that's impossible (non of these countries will be seeded). Guus is way to brilliant for stupid Marco...

The Netherlands not seeded???

Than three country's. Let's say Trinidad is in the other group, than there is a real contest over which one is the best Dutch manager!

What's wrong with Marco???

Than three country's. Let's say Trinidad is in the other group, than there is a real contest over which one is the best Dutch manager!

- He can't handle players with an own opinion so he rather uses kids from the Ajax youth team.

- He eliminates players for reasons that clearly aren't there just because he doesn't like their personality.

- He only seems to watch Ajax and AZ games, other clubs don't seem to exist.

- He promised to play attacking and attractive football, the truth is we're playing counter attacking football and the most boring kind of it.

I could go on for hours but I guess you get the picture. I don't like the guy and I hope he goes to Milan asap.

I've always been a huge Oranje fan but thanks to Marco that has changed. I might be cheering for Australia or even T&T next summer...  :)

- He can't handle players with an own opinion so he rather uses kids from the Ajax youth team.

- He eliminates players for reasons that clearly aren't there just because he doesn't like their personality.

- He only seems to watch Ajax and AZ games, other clubs don't seem to exist.

- He promised to play attacking and attractive football, the truth is we're playing counter attacking football and the most boring kind of it.

I could go on for hours but I guess you get the picture. I don't like the guy and I hope he goes to Milan asap.

I've always been a huge Oranje fan but thanks to Marco that has changed. I might be cheering for Australia or even T&T next summer...  :)

I agree with you:

- Some players from Ajax are too young. They should play with the under 21-team.

- Ajax is not in the best shape. He says he looks at the shape of the players. But why are Sneijder, De Jong and Heitinga selected.

- He selected ruud van nistelrooy, when he didn't score weeks after weeks. So, what about the shape???

- He change the squad too much.

- And where is van Bommel???

Guus is a better coach, but i'm a Dutchman, so I still support our team.

• 2 weeks later...
Now is van Basten really that bad?

Well, he has some good results with his team. But when you're playing in a tournament, you need experienced and well in-form players. And now, he's not selecting these players.

Archived