Australia in 2006WC

:D AUSTRALIA HAS QUALITIED FOR THE FIFA WC FINALS NEXT YEAR IN GERMANY AFTER DEFEATING URUGUAY ON PENALTY SHOOT OUT 4-2!!!

:wwww: OHHHHHHH YEAH!!! :wwww:

CONGRATS AUSTRALIA!!!!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:wwww: SYDNEY'S GONE BALLISTIC!!!! :wwww:

O.M.G. ARE THERE GOING TO BE HANGOVERS TOMORROW!!!

:wwww:  :wwww:  :wwww:

THIS IS BRILLIANT!

Australia has gone CRAZY - the pressure was unbelievable

Germany 2006 - OOOOHHHHH YYYEEEAAAHHHH

This was the best thing that could happen to Australian Sport apart from Sydney 2000. The party has started and it is gonna be massive.

Australia 2018 - now that Sounds great!!!!

Oh how sweet it is!

Finally the county's only monkey on its sporting back has been fucked off.

To all the Uruguayans saying it was their divine right to qualify, I hope they are serving humble pie on the flight home.

And we did it the hard way, after so many unfair qualification routes and bureacratic backflips, we proved we can beat FIFA at their own game.

Finally the county's only monkey on its sporting back has been fucked off.

Too early to say that......

Remember they've not been in the world cup since 1974, so we don't really know how well they're going to perform at Germany 2006.

There is a possibility that Australia could lose all 3 group stage matches. who knows?

Congratulations to Australia here. I can't believe that the last time the nation competed in the World Cup was 1974 in former WEST Germany. How far did Australia go that time around in 1974?
Congratulations to Australia here. I can't believe that the last time the nation competed in the World Cup was 1974 in former WEST Germany. How far did Australia go that time around in 1974?

:laughlong: The last time Spain didn't go to the WC was in 1974  :wwww:

:laughlong: The last time Spain didn't go to the WC was in 1974  :wwww:

Really? Well, that is quite a streak there for Spain to be in all those World Cup tournament since then.

Australia in Germany '74:

June 14, Volksparkstadion, Hamburg - East Germany 2 - 0 Australia

June 18, Volksparkstadion, Hamburg - West Germany 3 - 0 Australia

June 22, Olympiastadion, Berlin - Australia 0 - 0 Chile

Last place in the Group Nº1, 14th place in the World Cup (16 teams).

In general results, Australia is 56th (with Kuwait and Bolivia and over the last place shared by El Salvador, Irak, Slovenia, Canada, UAE, China, New Zealand, Haiti, Zaire, Greece and Indonesia)

It's even more remarkable that they underachieved in all of them as well  ;)

As well as the Netherlands :upside:

You little ripper bloody bewdy!!!!!!!!

:P

Yep, this is a huuuuge result for Australia _ Soccer Australia has been desperate for this for 32 years, and all the years of heartbreak and narrow misses makes this all the sweeter.

Now the task is ahead to more than just make up the numbers in Germany and play creditably. We've got to at least win some games there and at best case (and realistically, probably as high as we could aim) make it through to the second round.

And, yes, this does open the door slightly to the possibility we could host the WC in future. Without last night's result, that would have been an impossible fantasy.

Hmmmmm? 2018 _ UK versus USA versus Oz?

:sweet: Ow Ow Ow, my aching head!

Just getting to the WC is an achievement on it's own for a country that rarely sees beyond the oval ball.

Hopefully this victory will see the game grow even faster than before now that children can see that you don't have to scrum around in the mud to win.

:D Great day for Australia Soccer :D

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I've been waiting all of my life to witness the Socceroos finally make it to the World Cup at long last. This is the best sports story in Australia this year IMHO. Guus Hiddink is indeed a miracle worker for national soccer programs! This is indeed a great for Australian soccer and for its fams worldwide. Socceroos fans everywhere should rejoice! This would mean a lot for every aspect of the game there from the Hyundai A-League to the Matildas to the Joeys to the national media coverage of the sport there. Anyone who was there at the Telstra Stadium will never forget that night. What a way for them to go out as they leave Oceania for the Asian Football Confederation.

I seriously do beleive that a WC is in the offering for the future now that they're going to Germany.

Actually, depending on where they are drawn and against whom, I think they can surprise some people. They may even make it into the quarterfinals. You don't count out Guus Hiddink. Still, at this point and even then, I don't care if they end up not scoring any goals in Germany (highly unlikely), just seeing them there is enough for me.

They should've qualified for France in 1997 against Iran. How different things could've been if that happened.

Now Australia's got some new national heroes!!!   :D

I want the DVD to those games!

Interesting and flattering to read the latest Sportsbets odds on Germany 2006, which has Australia now on equal odds with Mexico, and ahead of such contenders as the USA and Japan (in fact, ahead of all the other Asian qualifiers):

Odds to win the 2006 World Cup

$3.50 Brazil

$7.00 Argentina, England

$7.50 Italy

$9.00 Germany

$11.00 France

$12.00 Holland

$14.00 Spain

$19.00 Portugal

$21.00 Czech Republic

$41.00 Sweden, Ivory Coast

$51.00 Mexico, Australia