I Have Slept And Have Pondered.

You don`t warn me of anything. My parents don`t do this to me for 10 years now, let alone a person living in Australia. Your opinion is biased and as much of a specilist in olympic bids you might be (LOL) you just made a fool of yourself saying those things. Loose and predictable. Jacques Rogge himself said Rio have learned with their FOUR previous failed bids. And we won it fair and clear.

And if you`re not gay let me tell you something, darling. You act like one, when they are offended.

And myself, homophobic?? HE-LLLLOOO--OOO?!??!! hahahah! Funniest thing EVER!

And if this warning of yours is in regards about my stay in here, don`t you worry sweet darling. If you can say your mind and I can`t say mine, it`ll be great if you move your pawns and have somebody ban me. If I am not welcome I`d rather not to stay. At least this is the only harm you can actually do to me, and hey, it doens`t hurt!

But up until the day someone ban me, I will

And about your first paragraph - the merit of others are not our own. So it doens`t really matter, does it?

Denis, thatsnotmypuppy was not attacking Rio. Stop overreacting to an opinion piece he wrote!

P.S. You are being out of line by trying to insinuate he is gay - that's an attack on someone which is way out of line as he has clearly told you he is not!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Denis, Puppy was NOT attacking "Rio" or you guys.

And you know...NOT all posters HAVE to LOVE Rio...or Madrid...or Chicago. People are allowed DIVERGENT views so I also do NOT understand why that thorb thinks I can only express views that are acceptable to him??? :blink: I am NOT beholden to him in any way NOR ask for his approval. You are sort of starting on that same foot here.

Denis, Puppy was NOT attacking "Rio" or you guys.

And you know...NOT all posters HAVE to LOVE Rio...or Madrid...or Chicago. People are allowed DIVERGENT views so I also do NOT understand why that thorb thinks I can only express views that are acceptable to him??? :blink: I am NOT beholden to him in any way NOR ask for his approval. You are sort of starting on that same foot here.

I understand that people have different opinions, Baron. But come on, give us some credit! All I asked was if after all his pondering he couldn't understand that maybe Rio won because, as well as the other contenders, it deserved. We might not have been the higher assessed in the technical factors, but we probably had the best overall bid.

I understand that people have different opinions, Baron. But come on, give us some credit! All I asked was if after all his pondering he couldn't understand that maybe Rio won because, as well as the other contenders, it deserved. We might not have been the higher assessed in the technical factors, but we probably had the best overall bid.

Denis, Puppy...who runs the Fantasy Bidding contests here...looks at things strictly from a TECHNICAL POV. You are processing his analysis from an emotional POV. I guess it's hard to separate those 2 when one is deeply involved.

Denis, Puppy...who runs the Fantasy Bidding contests here...looks at things strictly from a TECHNICAL POV. You are processing his analysis from an emotional POV. I guess it's hard to separate those 2 when one is deeply involved.

I'll try not to engage on the merit. I'm supposed not to, since I don't know as much as you guys about the subject.

Cape Town 2020 - Its our turn.

Need to find hundreds of little fanatical africans to storm to the forums.

For now, I will have to fill that role.

Don't be colonialists. We have proper roads.

You guys consider me as a fanatic, altough I'm promissing to cool down and improve my debating ;)

I can help you out lol

Folks, this is not about the bids. Never was. It's all about politics. The US got spanked by the IOC again. Rio happened to have a pretty good bid that delegates could gravitate to. The Olympics is 85% money, 10% politics and 5 % sport. That's my assessment.

My assessment would be that the Olys are 55% politics, 40% money and 5% sport.

I also agree that the USA got slapped by the IOC. A lot of members just don't like the USA. They think they can "piss on" the USA, and get away with it. One day, the chickens will come home to roost.

I am disappointed. Chicago should be hosting the 2016 Olys.

My assessment would be that the Olys are 55% politics, 40% money and 5% sport.

I also agree that the USA got slapped by the IOC. A lot of members just don't like the USA. They think they can "piss on" the USA, and get away with it. One day, the chickens will come home to roost.

I am disappointed. Chicago should be hosting the 2016 Olys.

oh grow up and get a life! how do you think the greeks felt when Atlanta won the 1996 games over Athens?? someone has to lose and unfortunately it was chicago - tokyo and madrid this time - akll would have been great hosts. the USA have had more olympics than any other nation in the last 30 years - quit been greedy and share the love!

Surely China will soon overtake the USA in terms of TV revenues - so don't be so sure that you can play that card - nor should you! the olympics belong to the world and going to South America for the first time is wonderful and perpetuates the movement and makes all those TV dollars that NBC has paid the IOC for!

Vamos RIO !

That makes sense, but, as Nuzman said this morning, this bid campaign will be studied in the future.

oh grow up and get a life! how do you think the greeks felt when Atlanta won the 1996 games over Athens?? someone has to lose and unfortunately it was chicago - tokyo and madrid this time - akll would have been great hosts. the USA have had more olympics than any other nation in the last 30 years - quit been greedy and share the love!

Surely China will soon overtake the USA in terms of TV revenues - so don't be so sure that you can play that card - nor should you! the olympics belong to the world and going to South America for the first time is wonderful and perpetuates the movement and makes all those TV dollars that NBC has paid the IOC for!

Vamos RIO !

I agree with you, adrianne. Yes, the pipe MUST BE passed around. Which is why I think there should be a south Atlanta handover at the close of 2016. So that after 124 years, great-grandpappy's baby will have come full circle(s)!!

Oh wait...there's Antartica yet!! :blink:

Vamos RIO !

I'm happy for Rio that they are hosting. It is vital for the Olympics to visit "new frontiers."

However -- it was the MANNER of Chicago's elimination that was so upsetting. They didn't just lose. The IOC hammered them. A loss would be disappointing, but a slap in the face makes people upset. It is Rio's time, but Chicago was not the worst of the 4 bids.

Incidentally, Atlanta v. Athens was a totally different game. Athens' bid was nowhere near strong enough.

I'll try not to engage on the merit. I'm supposed not to, since I don't know as much as you guys about the subject.

Denis, you're a pretty good poster and one of what will probably the Brazilian establishment (and this goes us much for the rest as for you) here over the next seven years.

It's going to be a bumpy rise over the next seven years. You will have to get used to the fact that there's going to be scrutiny and lots of criticism over how preparations go until 2016 - it happens to ALL coming hosts. And sometimes the problems of translation are going to lead to some misunderstandings. Puppy wasn't putting down your win or bid, for example. His comment about deserving was more about the fact all cities "deserve" the games, but no-one really 'deserves" it above and beyond everyone else - no-one is "entitled" to the games for reasons of some deserved privilege above overs

And it's natural that you Brazilians will get defensive at times - I would sure get sick of having to put up with seven years of comments about Favelas (fairly or unfairly, don't think that issue will ever go away!) or whether construction on roadways is way behind schedule or sponsor targets have been met or not or the logo or "look" is not to people's tastes, etc, etc, etc - but try to be patient and not take it as personal attacks on national integrity. There WILL be problems along the way, planning a games is never 100 per cent smooth. At the end of the day, I would say 99 per cent of us here want Brazil to stage a wonderful, "best ever" Games and wish it well and really will look to it with fondness and excitement. By all means stand up for your country when it's getting unfairly bashed - but just don't look for offence where none is meant.

In all, you Brazilians have been pretty good since the win. Thorbr - good to see you realise it'll be good to cool down. It's going to be fun watching the next seven years - and guys, make the most of it, it really is a wonderful time for an Olympic fan to be seeing their home city slowly transform into an Olympic City. We're going to have our arguments along the way, just don't take them to heart.

Oh, Denis. BTW - a LOT Of us here are Gay. And Puppy's one of our biggest straight friends and supporters - it's hard to find someone more gay-friendly than Pups. Probably the two big no-no's here are to be racist or homophobic. And we gays calling someone else a fag is as much homophobic as them saying it to us.

I'm happy for Rio that they are hosting. It is vital for the Olympics to visit "new frontiers."

However -- it was the MANNER of Chicago's elimination that was so upsetting. They didn't just lose. The IOC hammered them. A loss would be disappointing, but a slap in the face makes people upset. It is Rio's time, but Chicago was not the worst of the 4 bids.

Incidentally, Atlanta v. Athens was a totally different game. Athens' bid was nowhere near strong enough.

They wouldn't have lost so badly if they did not do so badly at lobbying. Rio mastered this. Don't be fooled by the order of elimination it was Rio vs Chicago all the way. The problem was the initially pledged votes.

Just as an example of how good Rio did in this part of the bid, Nuzman announced this morning that he was expecting a 67-33 win at the last round against Madrid. 2 IOC members missed the voting, so he was right on the spot. There were reports of Rio sending a message to neutralize Chicago.

On the other hand, the Chicago team might have been overconfident, they might have expected to have votes that they didn't. Tokyo had at least 2 sympathy votes (22 1st round falling to 20 in the 2nd). If those votes went to Chicago, they would be in the second round and that might have made it much more close.

Denis, you're a pretty good poster and one of what will probably the Brazilian establishment (and this goes us much for the rest as for you) here over the next seven years.

It's going to be a bumpy rise over the next seven years. You will have to get used to the fact that there's going to be scrutiny and lots of criticism over how preparations go until 2016 - it happens to ALL coming hosts. And sometimes the problems of translation are going to lead to some misunderstandings. Puppy wasn't putting down your win or bid, for example. His comment about deserving was more about the fact all cities "deserve" the games, but no-one really 'deserves" it above and beyond everyone else - no-one is "entitled" to the games for reasons of some deserved privilege above overs

And it's natural that you Brazilians will get defensive at times - I would sure get sick of having to put up with seven years of comments about Favelas (fairly or unfairly, don't think that issue will ever go away!) or whether construction on roadways is way behind schedule or sponsor targets have been met or not or the logo or "look" is not to people's tastes, etc, etc, etc - but try to be patient and not take it as personal attacks on national integrity. There WILL be problems along the way, planning a games is never 100 per cent smooth. At the end of the day, I would say 99 per cent of us here want Brazil to stage a wonderful, "best ever" Games and wish it well and really will look to it with fondness and excitement. By all means stand up for your country when it's getting unfairly bashed - but just don't look for offence where none is meant.

In all, you Brazilians have been pretty good since the win. Thorbr - good to see you realise it'll be good to cool down. It's going to be fun watching the next seven years - and guys, make the most of it, it really is a wonderful time for an Olympic fan to be seeing their home city slowly transform into an Olympic City. We're going to have our arguments along the way, just don't take them to heart.

Well said.

I was very happy to see Rio win the bid. I also posted in another post that the IOC couldn't deny Rio the win if they wanted to consider the organization "truely" global. Each of the cities that were short-listed for 2016 would have done an excellent job (maybe some better than others) However, the final vote showed exactly what I have been saying for quite some time..... Rio HAD to win 2016.

What did surprise me was Chicago going out on the first vote!!! Even with all the "firepower" they brought into Copenhagen, they still couldn't sway the votes... I think that bringing in Barack and Michelle Obama, as well as Oprah didn't really help (this was too little too late) Outside of a few photo opportunities to meet with US "royalty".

Madrid seemed to move up again (3rd for 2012 and 2nd for 2016) Maybe if they come back for 2020 they might be #1 this time. However, a Toronto bid could hope for the same thing (1996, 2008, 2020...also finishing 3rd and 2nd on these attempts)

I also think that an African nation is on the horizon to host soon as well. But not likely for 2020. The African nations will have to go through the bidding process a few times and show the IOC a serious bid before that continent will have a successfull candidate.

The IOC is now showing something interesting.... the candidate with the money might not always win (Chicago) We have seen the Favourite go down in flames many times in the past few summer games elections (Athens bid in 1996, Beijing in 2000) Each of these cities lost when they were considered a "slam dunk" but came back again to win a future bid.

Look for Madrid and Paris to come back for 2020 along with Rome and Berlin for European candidates. You will probably see a US candidate city again (New York, Chicago or San Francisco) Also look for a Toronto Bid (3rd for 1996 and 2nd for 2008)

The round of bidding for 2020 will be quite interesting!!!

The new IOC map, shown during IOC Congress 1 day after Rio victory

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esportes/Not...DE+RELAXEM.html

IOC LOVED THAT MAP. period.

Oh, Denis. BTW - a LOT Of us here are Gay. And Puppy's one of our biggest straight friends and supporters - it's hard to find someone more gay-friendly than Pups. Probably the two big no-no's here are to be racist or homophobic. And we gays calling someone else a fag is as much homophobic as them saying it to us.

Thanks for the words, Sir Roltel. I surely read them with the heart. I have to learn how to act sometimes in an internet forum. I tend to take things far too seriously.

And BTW I was not trying to call tnmp a gay thinking he was straight. I really thought he was gay too. And here in Brazil, we tend to be pretty honest in a converstaion between gays, so that's my explanation for bringing up the subject. I would never call anyone a fag, especially a straight person, since that word hurts my ears.

... what? I am glad that I hadn't seen that - does he know anything about diplomacy? I do not know for what politics he stands for, but such behaviour is a "K.O." criteria for me

I am not a fan of Lula either, and for sure his speech was a bit over the limit... I just hope that Obama, or anyone who may feel offended by it, sees that it's irrelevant. Lula is famous for his "common man" style, and, as you may notice, he was not 100% OK then. I assume that he just threw the protocol away.

I do hope he isn't Brazilian president in 2016 anymore.

Be neither. His second and last term ends in 2010 and a third term is out of question.

The governor of Rio also won't be there... the only one who was in Copenhagen and would possibly be in office in 2016 is the city mayor, who was ellected last year, and, if re-ellected, who remain so until 2016.

I can understand his joy and pride, but he has a terrible style...

Yes, it is what I said, Lula is no intellectual. In such a moment, I wouldn't expect him to get himself together. Anyway...

And BTW I was not trying to call tnmp a gay thinking he was straight. I really thought he was gay too. And here in Brazil, we tend to be pretty honest in a converstaion between gays, so that's my explanation for bringing up the subject. I would never call anyone a fag, especially a straight person, since that word hurts my ears.

Fair enough. The great thing about Puppy is he's in touch with his flamboyant side too!

I am not a fan of Lula either, and for sure his speech was a bit over the limit... I just hope that Obama, or anyone who may feel offended by it, sees that it's irrelevant. Lula is famous for his "common man" style, and, as you may notice, he was not 100% OK then. I assume that he just threw the protocol away.

Be neither. His second and last term ends in 2010 and a third term is out of question.

The governor of Rio also won't be there... the only one who was in Copenhagen and would possibly be in office in 2016 is the city mayor, who was ellected last year, and, if re-ellected, who remain so until 2016.

Yes, it is what I said, Lula is no intellectual. In such a moment, I wouldn't expect him to get himself together. Anyway...

You don`t know what you are talking about.

The reason 30 million people in Brazil are no longer below poverty line is Lula. So throw the protocol away, Lula, and keep being the common man you are. There's a reason for you are the president of Brazil. The country has had 30 something "intellectual" presidents that made it go nowhere (the great example is Sir Fernando Henrique Cardoso burn in hell, safado). You did no wrong and no harm to anyone. And you helped the bid to win.

Talking about Lula speeches...

Lula is a nobel prize in speeches if you compare him with George W. Bush, that represented the biggest power of the world for 8 years...

Understand: For everything is like a soccer match. Indeed winnings. He is joking with their friends who supports other teams.

Don't take the presidential thing too serious as it is in US.

You are discovering a new coutry that is really very different.

Did you guys watched the signing of contract??? People singing, president crying, NOC president with a Brazilian flag in hands laughing...

It's definitively a new Olympic Games in a new way. Understand it!

Archived