I Have Slept And Have Pondered.

You know what - I am satisfied with this result.

Yes yes the Rio presentation was an absolute disaster and Tokyo was robbed and all that – however having had a good nights sleep and a good think about it – I can honestly say I am ok with this decision.

I have received an email from one of my mates in the Japanese Olympic Committee – I won’t post the whole thing as most of it is personal stuff, but one statement was -

Nice day for Olympics – there is a step forward here.

Rio de Janerio was a mixed bag for sure – but this was the best bid we were probably going to see from South America for many bid cycles. I am sure in the evaluating phase (even though so many of the concerns from 2012 were not addressed or remedied satisfactorily) the commission felt the need to pump up the positives to get Rio through. While I found that quite fraudulent, I concede it was done with the right intention.

Did Rio deserve the Games? No – no-one deserves the Games regardless of where they are situated in the world. Do the Games need Rio? Hmm, not so much. After the SLC scandal I would have argued that the IOC needed a fresh start – however Beijing showed the world how all consuming a passion for sport could be and Vancouver is showing the world how you organised a Games without building up a few generations worth of debt.

Rio will have many challenges – I personally see the build up being an Athens style fiasco – however the 2007 Pan Ams have Rio at a much more advanced stage than Athens was in 1997.

I personally feel it is the wrong time for Rio – 2020 after the World Cup would make mre sense but the IOC is many things – stupid is not one of them.

Congrats Rio.

Madrid – an amazing job. Samaranch yet again proved his mettle as a speaker of diplomat calibre.

Tokyo – you showed a whole new side – of a young, fun metropolis. Bravo!

Chicago – unfairly thrown aside but your bid was practically flawless and set a new benchmark for future US bids.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Puppy,

A good bid campaign is made of several items. The technical proposal with the venue plan and the presentations are just part of it.

Frankly, I disagree with you in the assessment of the presentations. Rio presentation was right on the spot. Final presentations are the closing arguments and Rio did not need to show emotion and excitement, it had to show ability to deliver. They did and even threw some emotion in some parts like JH 100th birthday, Isabel Swan and the video with Barbara Leoncio with the athletes being received in the city streets.

I also disagree on the Tokyo presentation. It was exciting, but they put a show for the TV not to the IOC. It was a very well rehearsed piece, but it was not very credible. The fact that they failed to answer the questions and the bad standard of English after the presentation kinda point to that.

Madrid ran a great bid but out of time. Apparently their bid team was not properly organized at the time of the EC visit. But practically all the votes they got were JS lobby works.

Chicago also has some big weaknesses. If you consider that Rio will not be the last new frontier, future US bids should be careful when running against them with a full temp venue approach. But their lack of political ability killed them. They could not work the room and their use of Oprah and the Obamas was terrible. Obama itself just showed up for a few words and an evasive answer to a question on visa issuing.

The difference in this election was that 2 bids pitched to the IOC (Rio and Madrid) and the others didn't. Chicago pitched it to the US and Tokyo maybe to the TV audience.

Puppy, always have high respects for your assessment on Olympic matters so thank you for giving us your insight on this vote - I actually said on another website that I thought Rio would be better suited for 2020 or 2024 since it would have given them enough time to take a breather after the World Cup, but at the same time I am glad that the IOC decided to take a chance on them.

Aluz - um, how well is your knowledge on Olympic matters? I am 110% sure TNMP can run marathon circles around you in that department.

Puppy, always have high respects for your assessment on Olympic matters so thank you for giving us your insight on this vote - I actually said on another website that I thought Rio would be better suited for 2020 or 2024 since it would have given them enough time to take a breather after the World Cup, but at the same time I am glad that the IOC decided to take a chance on them.

Aluz - um, how well is your knowledge on Olympic matters? I am 110% sure TNMP can run marathon circles around you in that department.

uhmmm....Adam, read aluz's other posts. He is laser-sharp in the other posts.

uhmmm....Adam, read aluz's other posts. He is laser-sharp in the other posts.

Yes I have read some of his other posts now so I feel like a complete idiot - I guess that's my sign to get some shut eye, it's 1 AM here.........LOL. Sorry Aluz, I was just a little cranky :(

Puppy,

I agree that this election probably was already finished when the IOC members got into that room before the presentation. With Chicago with insufficient pledged votes, the IOC member turned to Rio in masses granting 40 of the 44 new votes in the following 2 rounds. It was 2 votes shy of a second round win for Rio.

And I totally agree with your source that said that there would not be another South American bid of this standard anytime soon. The reason is that the bid team would probably be dismantled and the knowledge gathered organizing the PanAm Games would be, at least, partially lost. Besides, the alignment of the political levels might be endangered by the impact of losing the Olympic bid in the next year State Government campaign. If you combine that with the notion that the only SA bids worthwhile would come from Brazil and that Brazil would not bid with another city, it would be risky to push it for later.

The preparation might be Athens-like, like they were for the PanAms, but I wouldn't bet hard on it because of the political strength of the Olympics. Besides, the leadership now is fully committed to it. With the bid being granted, there is almost no chance of political battles interfering in the preparations, as it did for the PanAms.

Last, all statements from the people behind the bid were very clear. They had to run a different bid campaign. They needed to prove that their bid was achievable. They needed to prove that they had the money, the venues and a executable plan to get into the game. And that was the main issue behind the emphasis they gave to technical aspects all around the bid. How many IOC members knew that Rio 2016 planned investment correspond to around 1% of the country GDP? How many of them knew that Brazil had foreign currency reserves of around US$ 250 billion? That's why they brought the president of the Central Bank. During the EC visit, they probably showed insight in the organization of such an event, with all the problems we know the bid has. I don't think the EC would give a positive report if they thought that those people behind the bid were way too crazy or just too optimistic. Those questions were simply not into play with the other bid cities.

I am very glad for the Brazilians that Rio de Janeiro won and I am sure we will see very good Games in seven years, but I still have to "admit" that the presentation of Rio wasn't absolutely my taste.

Due my father I have a special relationship to South America (he lived for a long time in Lima and he was always responsible for "South America" in his job, since I speaks spanish and portuguese like they were his second mother languages) and therewith I know what Brazil, Chile, Argentina ... can carry.

I just found it funny how the brazilian team emphasised some economical matters e.g. the recently found oil fields ;) It was absolutely not a news for me that Brazil has large raw material deposits...

But another thing really annoyed me during the presentation of Rio: that Lula said during his speech, that for the other biding cities these Games would have been "just another" Games! This is nearly an impudence toward the other competitors.

Once more, I disagree that Rio's presentation was a disaster. Rio make a presentation for IOC members not to the audience in general, watching it on TV.

They emphasizes the biggest criticism Rio had. Can Rio handle, afford and organize this?

Rio addressed to every critic made by EC Evaluation Report instead show videos with children running.

The other bids, specially Tokyo, didn't care about it. Rio took IOC Evaluation Report too serious and worked to solve accomodation issues (Rio now have 47,000 rooms guaranteed, show that now Rio is the 3rd biggest Olympic market in the world addressing the questions about marketing).

Rio talked about its weaknees... That was a risky strategy, agreed.

Of course, Rio did its sentimental appeal too, but in a Pro way. That World Map (that honestly I don't like) worked very well before and seemed to work again - Some of you will say Rio doesn't need to put it the face of IOC. Well, it worked, isn't? IOC members at this very moment were not angry, they seemed to think about how Olympism should be spread. Votes said it so.

And, c'mon, Chicago also pointed the USA have the money, the power (Obama 5-hour-visit) again in the face of IOC and it didn't work. Again.

Lula:

Lula was always act like that, got international respect with this behaviour, and I think you guys didn't watched the press conference with Lula and Rogge...

If you watch this you'll think Lula speech during Rio's presentation was the most polite ever...

Lula:

Lula was always act like that, got international respect with this behaviour, and I think you guys didn't watched the press conference with Lula and Rogge...

If you watch this you'll think Lula speech during Rio's presentation was the most polite ever...

"so much the worse"

I am glad for the Brazilians and I am lucky that Rio got the honour to host the Olympic Games, but Lula's appearance in Copenhagen decreased my high esteem of Brazil. It will take some time that these wounds are healed...

Once more, I disagree that Rio's presentation was a disaster. Rio make a presentation for IOC members not to the audience in general, watching it on TV.

They emphasizes the biggest criticism Rio had. Can Rio handle, afford and organize this?

Rio addressed to every critic made by EC Evaluation Report instead show videos with children running.

The other bids, specially Tokyo, didn't care about it. Rio took IOC Evaluation Report too serious and worked to solve accomodation issues (Rio now have 47,000 rooms guaranteed, show that now Rio is the 3rd biggest Olympic market in the world addressing the questions about marketing).

Rio talked about its weaknees... That was a risky strategy, agreed.

Of course, Rio did its sentimental appeal too, but in a Pro way. That World Map (that honestly I don't like) worked very well before and seemed to work again - Some of you will say Rio doesn't need to put it the face of IOC. Well, it worked, isn't? IOC members at this very moment were not angry, they seemed to think about how Olympism should be spread. Votes said it so.

And, c'mon, Chicago also pointed the USA have the money, the power (Obama 5-hour-visit) again in the face of IOC and it didn't work. Again.

Lula:

LOL I was boarderline offended by Lula during the press conference and I'm not even American. He was going on and on with the Obama effect or lack thereof and was really gloating and boasting. Lula did finally towards the end said he did not beat Obama because this was between Rio and the other three cities with Rio coming out on top.

I was touched though, however to see his shedding genuine and very emotional tears of pride and joy.

LOL I was boarderline offended by Lula during the press conference and I'm not even American. He was going on and on with the Obama effect or lack thereof and was really gloating and boasting. Lula did finally towards the end said he did not beat Obama because this was between Rio and the other three cities with Rio coming out on top.

I was touched though, however to see his shedding genuine and very emotional tears of pride and joy.

He was joking about Obama...

And also about Hatoyama:

"I want to be friend of Hatoyama like I'm friend of Obama and Zapatero, but it's hard to do, because in Japan you say good morning to one Prime Minister and good afternoon for the next prime minister"... That was great... LOL

Now you people need to get used to Brazilian humour like we Brazilians learned the american-english sarcasm...

... what? I am glad that I hadn't seen that - does he know anything about diplomacy? I do not know for what politics he stands for, but such behaviour is a "K.O." criteria for me and I do hope he isn't Brazilian president in 2016 anymore.

I can understand his joy and pride, but he has a terrible style...

He was joking about Obama...

And also about Hatoyama:

"I want to be friend of Hatoyama like I'm friend of Obama and Zapatero, but it's hard to do, because in Japan you say good morning to one Prime Minister and good afternoon for the next prime minister"... That was great... LOL

Now you people need to get used to Brazilian humour like we Brazilians learned the american-english sarcasm...

maybe he should warn us in future anytime before he says something, that he is joking in the brazilian way of humour

I too was amazed to watch his performance at the post-announcement news conference. He went on and on and on, with a disjointed and sometimes difficult-to-understand rant (perhaps that's a bit strong).

The moderator had to interrupt him at one point, so that they could hear from others on the bid team.

If he had spoken like that during Rio's presentation, the result might have been different.

He really was a loose cannon.

You know what - I am satisfied with this result.

Yes yes the Rio presentation was an absolute disaster and Tokyo was robbed and all that – however having had a good nights sleep and a good think about it – I can honestly say I am ok with this decision.

I have received an email from one of my mates in the Japanese Olympic Committee – I won’t post the whole thing as most of it is personal stuff, but one statement was -

Rio de Janerio was a mixed bag for sure – but this was the best bid we were probably going to see from South America for many bid cycles. I am sure in the evaluating phase (even though so many of the concerns from 2012 were not addressed or remedied satisfactorily) the commission felt the need to pump up the positives to get Rio through. While I found that quite fraudulent, I concede it was done with the right intention.

Did Rio deserve the Games? No – no-one deserves the Games regardless of where they are situated in the world. Do the Games need Rio? Hmm, not so much. After the SLC scandal I would have argued that the IOC needed a fresh start – however Beijing showed the world how all consuming a passion for sport could be and Vancouver is showing the world how you organised a Games without building up a few generations worth of debt.

Rio will have many challenges – I personally see the build up being an Athens style fiasco – however the 2007 Pan Ams have Rio at a much more advanced stage than Athens was in 1997.

I personally feel it is the wrong time for Rio – 2020 after the World Cup would make mre sense but the IOC is many things – stupid is not one of them.

Congrats Rio.

Madrid – an amazing job. Samaranch yet again proved his mettle as a speaker of diplomat calibre.

Tokyo – you showed a whole new side – of a young, fun metropolis. Bravo!

Chicago – unfairly thrown aside but your bid was practically flawless and set a new benchmark for future US bids.

when you said you pondered I thought maybe you would say something that made sense this time... how stupid I am... Have you thought on the possibility that Rio got it because it deserved? Because we had a team working for it? We had a good plan? We had a president engaged in the project for some 4 years now? We`re not street dogs that you throw your left-overs to. Rio won with 66 votes, and it will not, for sure, make it`s way up to 2016 based on the athens fiasco. we won it fair and right and we deserved. good plan, good team and especially, good leaders. congratulations Rio.

Brazilians, do not allow yourself to be put down by raging queens like this guy. I am gay and I know how gay tend to be cruel to others with words so they can feel better. Rio deserved this and it was the IOC who said it. 66x32 to be more clear and it was agaisnt CHICAGO MADRID AND TOKYO, IMO great contenders.

One - I am not putting anyone down. My opinions are based on facts. Go to The Bid Library and have a look at the evaluation/application reports for 2004, 2012 and 2016. Rio got through because the IOC wanted it to. Not simply on merit.

Two - I have never said any Brazilians were street dogs. You may have me confused with a certain Baron.

Three - I am not gay - and your homophobic little tirade there (despite your own claims of being gay) is extremely innapropriate.

Finally as an Australian I really didn't care who won the Games this time around. I believe Tokyo had the best overall package. So did the IOC. Re-read the report. However Rio won. So be it.

I will not put up with seven years of shitt of the likes of which you are currently spouting.

Warning number one, Dennis.

One - I am not putting anyone down. My opinions are based on facts. Go to The Bid Library and have a look at the evaluation/application reports for 2004, 2012 and 2016. Rio got through because the IOC wanted it to. Not simply on merit.

Two - I have never said any Brazilians were street dogs. You may have me confused with a certain Baron.

Three - I am not gay - and your homophobic little tirade there (despite your own claims of being gay) is extremely innapropriate.

Finally as an Australian I really didn't care who won the Games this time around. I believe Tokyo had the best overall package. So did the IOC. Re-read the report. However Rio won. So be it.

I will not put up with seven years of shitt of the likes of which you are currently spouting.

Warning number one, Dennis.

You don`t warn me of anything. My parents don`t do this to me for 10 years now, let alone a person living in Australia. Your opinion is biased and as much of a specilist in olympic bids you might be (LOL) you just made a fool of yourself saying those things. Loose and predictable. Jacques Rogge himself said Rio have learned with their FOUR previous failed bids. And we won it fair and clear.

And if you`re not gay let me tell you something, darling. You act like one, when they are offended.

And myself, homophobic?? HE-LLLLOOO--OOO?!??!! hahahah! Funniest thing EVER!

And if this warning of yours is in regards about my stay in here, don`t you worry sweet darling. If you can say your mind and I can`t say mine, it`ll be great if you move your pawns and have somebody ban me. If I am not welcome I`d rather not to stay. At least this is the only harm you can actually do to me, and hey, it doens`t hurt!

But up until the day someone ban me, I will

And about your first paragraph - the merit of others are not our own. So it doens`t really matter, does it?

I agree with a lot of what is written.

No city deserves the games. It is no-one's moral right per se to be awarded the most prestigious prize in sport - the Olympics. Cities have to earn them. The question that then arises is how do they earn them? Some cities propose technically outstanding bids (Madrid and Tokyo), some cities present strong bids with a new angle (Rio). So the IOC has to decide who they should award the games to.

Thatsnotmypuppy is correct when he says the that Rio did not have the best bid technically. He is also correct when he says that the IOC wanted Rio to win (remember way back when the application reports came out and Doha had a better bid score than Rio but the IOC put Rio through instead).

Anyway, that is all commentary. Rio won and well done to them! I al also really glad Madrid got to the finals as I felt that gave some credit to their outstanding bid.

Archived