Chicago Voters

NaNa

I would venture to say Canadians, Aussies, A couple from the Caribbean, 70% of black Africans, a few of Europeans and the IOC member from Taiwan.

But obviously we have no way of knowing.

I read a report saying DeFrantz (U.S. IOC member) could barely move after the first round shocker. I am more sure now that she did not vote in the other rounds.

I would venture to say Canadians, Aussies, A couple from the Caribbean, 70% of black Africans, a few of Europeans and the IOC member from Taiwan.

But obviously we have no way of knowing.

I read a report saying DeFrantz (U.S. IOC member) could barely move after the first round shocker. I am more sure now that she did not vote in the other rounds.

I really think Chicago did badly with African voters. Putting black people in front of the bid (Obama, Michelle and Oprah) doesn't mean that much. Rio was levered by the Brazilian government relationship with African nations and the Olympic Training Center to be built in Barra which was offered for the usage of African countries.

I think US voters were mostly people that regarded the financial aspect of the Games and other English-speaking countries members who voted for affinity (Canada, Australia, etc.)

Not sure about that

Giving 2016 to Chicago will not help the chance for Toronto future bids

Yes, but I have read articles saying that a Chicago victory would help Toronto's PanAm bid because of prximatey and preparation. Also, if you really think about it, a Chicago victory would take them out of future bids for at least 12 years, thus making it easier for Toronto to capitalize on another bid like 2028, 2032 or even 2036.

I don't think Toronto would make the best case for 2020. The PanAms would not have occurred yet, and it would be two consecutive Western hemisphere countries in a row.

I really think Chicago did badly with African voters. Putting black people in front of the bid (Obama, Michelle and Oprah) doesn't mean that much. Rio was levered by the Brazilian government relationship with African nations and the Olympic Training Center to be built in Barra which was offered for the usage of African countries.

I think US voters were mostly people that regarded the financial aspect of the Games and other English-speaking countries members who voted for affinity (Canada, Australia, etc.)

Surely Obama would have had some sway with the Black African voters. I remember reading that him and Biden were ringing IOC members in the week before the vote.

That's funny. That's the total opposite of when Ispoke with her briefly at the LA84 25th anniversary party end of July. She was recounting the USOC's reaction to Atlanta's winning in 1990. And she said" "Frankly, we were shocked" -- her very words. Funny how there's a complete turnaround 19 years later.

Yes, but I have read articles saying that a Chicago victory would help Toronto's PanAm bid because of prximatey and preparation.

Yes, I read the same thing. Beyond that, I think it's a no brainer that Canada would have supported the USOC most certainly for the first ballot.

I don't think Toronto would make the best case for 2020. The PanAms would not have occurred yet, and it would be two consecutive Western hemisphere countries in a row.
I can assure you -- Toronto has NO interest in 2020. It's too soon after Vancouver and besides, the voters of Toronto have lost any stomach for another Olympic bid. I suspect the that people of Chicago now feel the same way as well.

I believe Toronto has unofficially, but public changed it's approach. It is no longer going after the Olympics. Instead, it will attempt to get smaller events like the PanAms, or perhaps the Commonwealth Games, and will also seek single-sport world championships.

I believe Toronto has unofficially, but public changed it's approach. It is no longer going after the Olympics. Instead, it will attempt to get smaller events like the PanAms, or perhaps the Commonwealth Games, and will also seek single-sport world championships.

Absolutely. Those don't require the monetary and EMOTIONAL tolls involved in an Olympic bid.

Yes, I read the same thing. Beyond that, I think it's a no brainer that Canada would have supported the USOC most certainly for the first ballot.

I can assure you -- Toronto has NO interest in 2020. It's too soon after Vancouver and besides, the voters of Toronto have lost any stomach for another Olympic bid. I suspect the that people of Chicago now feel the same way as well.

I know for a fact Toronto is planning a bid. The COC is producing a long term strategy to bring the games to Toronto and this includes a feeling-out bid in 2020 or 2024.

And Remember Toronto's first bid was 1996, only two years after Calgary. 3 Years after Vancouver is not gonna sway the people that are involved because they are the same people for the most part.

Archived