What Next, Usa?

In a geographical sense,that is correct.But Europe has long been recognized as a separate entity politically,culturally and environmentally ever since ancient times!

I believe the same is the case for the two Americas.True they are connected geographically by the narrow isthmus of Panama

but they are worlds apart in the same way as Europe differs from Asia. Africa and Asia are also geographically connected by the equally narrow isthmus of Suez but no-one would try to argue that they are one continent!

Exactly. People who want to say that North America and South America are really one continent have very self serving reasons for doing so.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Eurasia thing is new to me. Asia (to me) has always began at the Urals, Istanbul and the eastern side of the Mediterranean.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more that cultural differences is what makes the continents different. North & South America are different cultural areas, but they are part of the same continent: America.

but America as just one, subdivided in North (including Mexico), Central (the isthmus and the Caribbean) and South America.

How convenient. It's two separate continents when Brazil wants it to be, and one and the same when it suits them better that way...

This Eurasia thing is new to me. Asia (to me) has always began at the Urals, Istanbul and the eastern side of the Mediterranean.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more that cultural differences is what makes the continents different. North & South America are different cultural areas, but they are part of the same continent: America.

Then you would agree that not only are Europe and Asian one continent, but that Africa is part of that one continent as well.

Asia and Africa are separated by the Red Sea and artifitially by the Suez canal. At least the last time I saw the map...

So are North and South America artifically separated by the Panama Canal!

Asia and Africa are separated by the Red Sea and artifitially by the Suez canal. At least the last time I saw the map...

If Asia and Africa are "separated artificially by the Suez Canal". then North and South America are separated "artificially" by the Panama Canal.

The problem is, you contradict yourself left and right on this question. You even did it in the same sentence:

First you say it's cultural differences that separate continents, then in the same breath say that while North America and South America are different culturally, they are still the same continent.

I think continents are separate when it's convenient for your way of thinking. Europe is separate, but North and South America are not?

Even in South America, as I wrote elsewhere, there is no cultural unity, a concept fostered in the past decade by the Brazilian government in order to position Brazil as the uncontested leader in the region (South America is in that sense much more useful to Brazilian political goals than Latin America, with the large presence of Mexico).

Chilean culture is in many ways more similar to Costa Rica's (North America) than to Brazil's; Venezuelan culture is more similar to Cuban (North America/Caribbean) than to Brazil's. And there increasingly large areas of the US which are more similar to Mexico than to other areas in the US itself.

While there is a porous border between Europe and Asia, it has been a fairly stable one for centuries, while the post-Columbian history of the Americas is quite recent. The geographical reality of North and South America is quite different from the cultural reality of the different cultural areas of the Western Hemisphere: (1)Quebec, (2) English Canada and the US, (3) Spanish America, (4) Non-Spanish Caribbean, and (5) Brazil.

Excuse me, but I'm afraid you didn't get my point. I'll try to explain it better.

There are six continents in the world: America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and Antarctica.

America has North, Central and South, and each one has also different names.

Africa has the Saharian area, sub-Saharian, Tropical area and Austral Africa (not sure what the names are in English)

Europe has Eastern countries, mediterranean countries, atlantic countries, Scandinavia, Iberian peninsula... and so on.

But what really makes the difference within areas are the cultural differences that you can find wherever. There's no contradiction in it! Saying that America is just one continent separated by different cultural areas is not a contradiction, IMHO.

Moreover, it's not convenient to me to separate right now both North & South America. I couldn't care less, as I didn't support Rio nor Chicago in this race. I just stated that I don't think that 2020 is time for USA because I guess IOC would like to find another sharp contrast to Rio... which is not likely to find in North America, just 8 years after London and having supposedly more other cities able to host in other places.

Excuse me, but I'm afraid you didn't get my point. I'll try to explain it better.

There are six continents in the world: America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and Antarctica.

Wow, maybe you'd better go back to school and study geography again!

Oceania is not a continent!

There are seven recognized continents:

Europe

Asia

Africa

North America

South America

Antarctica

That's it. I'm amazed that anyone would even try to contradict this.

Europe

Asia

Africa

North America

South America

Antarctica

So... you say seven and you write six :blink: . Maybe you're the one that should go back to school...

By the way, if this is the tone you'll have, I'm done with you.

Greetings from Europe! (the only one).

Europe

Asia

Africa

North America

South America

Antarctica

LOL. Did you even bother to read the rest of the posts?

So... you say seven and you write six :blink: . Maybe you're the one that should go back to school...

By the way, if this is the tone you'll have, I'm done with you.

Greetings from Europe! (the only one).

Yes, you're right, I forgot to write Australia.

I think you're just mad because more than one person has pointed out your contradictions in your statements.

Yes, you're right, I forgot to write Australia.

I think you're just mad because more than one person has pointed out your contradictions in your statements.

In which continent is New Zealand then?

Here, in Brazil, we learn there are 6 continents like Cinderella says.

I think you guys learn in a different way in USA. It's a matter of naming... Don't worry...

I would still like to know why Africa is a different continent when its only separated by a man made canal.

Why does a continent need to be separated by natural bodies of water to be a continent?

It's not that simple... There are a lot of variables involved, the fisical separation is only one of them.

Why are we discussing this? I don't remember anymore... :lol:

In which continent is New Zealand then?

New Zealand is not part of any continent, are you serious?

Here, in Brazil, we learn there are 6 continents like Cinderella says.

Like I said, how convenient for Brazil. North and South America are one continent until it comes time to bid for the Olympics, and then suddenly South America becomes the neglected continent that's never hosted.

New Zealand is not part of any continent, are you serious?

I'm very serious!

We learn New Zealand is part of Oceania just as Japan is part of Asia and Madadascar part of Africa...

I'm trying to be polite and respect the the difencies of learning systems in different countries, but I guess you think your way is the way.

I'm sorry, but to me you are sounding prepotent...

Like I said, how convenient for Brazil. North and South America are one continent until it comes time to bid for the Olympics, and then suddenly South America becomes the neglected continent that's never hosted.

Now I remember why we are discussing this... :lol:

Guess what! I agree with you on that!

I'm very serious!

We learn New Zealand is part of Oceania just as Japan is part of Asia and Madadascar part of Africa...

I'm trying to be polite and respect the the difencies of learning systems in different countries, but I guess you think your way is the way.

I'm sorry, but to me you are sounding prepotent...

Now I remember why we are discussing this... :lol:

Guess what! I agree with you on that!

Oceania is NOT a continent!

Oh my God....

:lol::lol:

No, I think anyone taught on the SIX continent system does NOT include Antartica since it is really an uninhabited ice/land mass...which of course would be a non-issue anyway the way the climate is changing. Of course, NZ, Rio, Sydney, Buenos AIres, etc., would be amongst the first cities to flood. All of a sudden, those favelas on the Rio hillsides look very appealing!! ;)

"Oceania" is just a "concept" that cartographers brought about for the sake of 'grouping' convenience, but of course anchored by Australia. Just as the Caribbean (group) are those nations there but NOT anchored by one dominant land mass.

Archived