What Next, Usa?

OK, Chicago dropped on the first ballot for 2016. New York dropped on the second ballot for 2012. Both only secured 16-19 votes out of almost 100 up for grabs.

What do you think the USA will do next?

Try again for 2020? With Chicago again? Or another candidate?

Or maybe try for the Winter Games again?

Or maybe just sit out a few rounds?

Honestly, I think they will try again for 2020. A 24 year dry spell for Summers in North America is a long time and Canada and Mexico are preoccupied with other events.

A US Winter bid just doesn't seem right at this time. Too close to Vancouver and Salt Lake.

And sitting it out? Well, the competition is only going to get stronger when Europe and Asia are better positioned and Africa is able to play the "we need it now" card.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds about right. It also seems like the IOC wants the internation A-list cities (LA, NYC, SF) to represent the US. (No offense, to Chicago, but it's just what I'm seeing).

I know smaller cities have listed interest (Boston, Minneapolis), but I'm not sure about the big 4.

There are multiple threads addressing this issue, so I will keep posting the same response.

The IOC has sent a very clear message that they are not interested in an American bid. Because the technical quality of Chicago's bid was high, we can only assume that the relationship between the USOC and IOC is worse than we thought. The U.S. should not bid on 2018, 2020, or 2022. Instead the USOC should focus on fixing their perpetually turbulent leadership problems and developing genuine relationships with the IOC. For the time being, he U.S. needs to find other ways to contribute to the Olympic Movement.

If they do submit a bid for 2020, they are deaf, dumb and blind. The IOC has said, "Go away," with as much clarity as possible. A bid would be a total waste of time, energy and money.

But they rejected New York last time, LA twice in the 1970s, and rewarded Atlanta in the 1990s. A big chunk of a successful Olympic bid is in the timing. Last time it was Europe's turn. This time, it was just Rio's turn.

I think Chicago's bid was as good a bid as any major US city could produce. New York and San Francisco have that eternal stadium problem. LA has been done twice before.

Kendegra and Athensfan I think you are both talking a lot of sense. Yes Athensfan I am with you on the fact that USOC and the IOC clearly need to mend something. But Kendegra is also correct. It was a good bid, and it was just Rio's time in the way it was Europe's time in 2012. I think it's not yet clear who's "time" it is in 2020. The only certainty is that it's not going to South America.

Let me just say that if they're not keen to use the new football stadium in NJ as an Olympic Stadium, then I really don't want the city to build a white elephant. In that sense, yes there certainly is a stadium problem.

I'm pretty sure that the New Meadowlands would not be able to host Athletics. I suppose New York could go temporary, but where exactly? I more or less believe that in the foreseeable future, New York’s layout will not lend itself to producing the best technical venue plan the US can offer. In this regard, Chicago has and will edge out New York.

This is what New York's mayor Michael Bloomberg said about what happened today: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypoli...l#ixzz0SoqELaN0

Anyway, I think the US should really sit out for a few races. Although I'm really looking forward to Rio 2016, I was shocked by what happened to Chicago today. Really disappointed about how it ended for them. It now seems pretty obvious to me that things between the USOC and the IOC need to be looked at again before spending more money, time and energy on yet another bid.

I too, think the USOC should sit out the next couple of races. We need to work on our relationship, and not always act so "eager"

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if the USOC chose to bid for 2020 since Canadian and African support could be tougher, but personally my enthusiasm has been sucked dry at the moment.

I mean Istanbul received 17 votes in the first round for 2008, just one less than Chicago received in this race. I still can't believe it.

I'm pretty sure that the New Meadowlands would not be able to host Athletics. I suppose New York could go temporary, but where exactly? I more or less believe that in the foreseeable future, New York’s layout will not lend itself to producing the best technical venue plan the US can offer. In this regard, Chicago has and will edge out New York.

This is what New York's mayor Michael Bloomberg said about what happened today: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypoli...l#ixzz0SoqELaN0

Anyway, I think the US should really sit out for a few races. Although I'm really looking forward to Rio 2016, I was shocked by what happened to Chicago today. Really disappointed about how it ended for them. It now seems pretty obvious to me that things between the USOC and the IOC need to be looked at again before spending more money, time and energy on yet another bid.

I agree that the USOC shouldn't bid as long as there is still blood between them and the IOC.

As for NY's venue plan, that's a whole other issue, I'm afraid, LOL. We won't hear a peep until after the election anyways.

LA has been done twice before.

london 2012??

i think the US needs to find a city that really wants the olympics. 47% isn't cutting it, nor should it.

i have no idea what city would actually want the olympics. maybe it's miami or LA or who knows, didn't dallas have something in the works for 2012?

i don't know what the support is in london, but the point is, the US needs find an enthusiastic host and play off that in their bid.

london 2012??

i think the US needs to find a city that really wants the olympics. 47% isn't cutting it, nor should it.

I have no idea why everyone quotes this one poll as an appropriate gauge for Olympic support. Sure Chicago did not have support numbers like Madrid or Rio, but in talking with people I found most (about in the 60% range) supported the bid. Also, other polls suggest numbers to be in that range. Sure, everyone had their concerns, but really I wouldn't expect NY, San Fran or Boston to have better support numbers. In LA would have been challenged considering the state of California's economy, but I guess that they would have had the best public support.

Anyway, public support is not what killed Chicago's bid, and really it was one main thing - Rio.

Well, the USOC is going to have to pick up the pieces at some point. After the debacle with New York in the 2012 race, Chicago's elimination in the first round was probably worse. At this point, who knows what the USOC will do. I definitely agree they have to mend fences with the IOC. I'd say ultimately that's what killed the Chicago bid. IMO, it was dead after the whole Olympic network fiasco. I predict there will be a 2020 U.S. bid but it's a wide open field. The interest is certainly there. I think you'll see interest from the Twin Cities, Boston, L.A. maybe New York. I think Chicago is one and done. I doubt they sit out 2020 for a couple of reasons. First of all, the Rio win I think officially dooms any bid from Africa until 2024. 2020 is probably too soon after London so the only real threat right now would be a strong Asian bid, most likely from Japan. Again, it's a long way off and a lot can change.

Right now, I'll go out on a limb and say the USOC goes back to the well next go around with Los Angeles.

Right now, I'll go out on a limb and say the USOC goes back to the well next go around with Los Angeles.

LA's facilities are going to be very old by the time 2028 rolls around. The Coliseum would be about 100 years old at that time.

And I sure hope the USOC does not give an inch to the IOC re the TV revenues after this episode. I mean the IOC's been unreasonable...so 2 can play the game.

After today's vote, one can't rule out any continent anymore. 2020 in Europe would not be ''too soon'' after London, one would have thought that Europe would've been too soon after Athens. Nor can we rule out Africa. I ruled it out before prior to today's vote, but not anymore (The IOC members are a fickle bunch).

If the FIFA World Cup next year in South Africa goes off for the most part smoothly, I can see Cape Town or Durbin playing the "okay, it's our turn now" card BIG! Hey, it worked for Rio, even before they could prove themselves with their World Cup in 2014. Tokyo would be a strong contender, too, & I can see them nabbing 2020 as well. Rome would DEFINITELY be a strong favorite tool. So with all those prospects, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the USOC sat the next round out.

And Flushing Meadows for New York wouldn't work, it's in New Jersey & goes AGAINST the Olympic Charter. The Olympic Stadium has to be in the ACTUAL host city, which wouldn't be New York. I think when the USOC is ready next time, they'll go with Los Angeles & probably for 2032, they can play the Los Angeles 'Centennial' card with a totally rebuilt Memorial Colisium.

After today's vote, one can't rule out any continent anymore. 2020 in Europe would not be ''too soon'' after London, one would have thought that Europe would've been too soon after Athens. Nor can we rule out Africa. I ruled it out before prior to today's vote, but not anymore (The IOC members are a fickle bunch).

If the FIFA World Cup next year in South Africa goes off for the most part smoothly, I can see Cape Town or Durbin playing the "okay, it's our turn now" card BIG! Hey, it worked for Rio, even before they could prove themselves with their World Cup in 2014. Tokyo would be a strong contender, too, & I can see them nabbing 2020 as well. Rome would DEFINITELY be a strong favorite tool. So with all those prospects, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the USOC sat the next round out.

And Flushing Meadows for New York wouldn't work, it's in New Jersey & goes AGAINST the Olympic Charter. The Olympic Stadium has to be in the ACTUAL host city, which wouldn't be New York. I think when the USOC is ready next time, they'll go with Los Angeles & probably for 2032, they can play the Los Angeles 'Centennial' card with a totally rebuilt Memorial Colisium.

FYI, FLushing Meadows is in Queens. The Meadowlands is in Niew Joisey!!

Re the LA COliseum though, the whole strucutre (or at least the peristyle part) is a National Historic Landmark...so that can't be touched barring an overhaul of that law. And redoing the rest of the bowl, I dunno how much more one can renovate the bowl and still make it blend with the peristyle end of things?

Sorry, my bad. All those "M" complexes over there in NY just threw me off. And too bad about M.C. & also the new "Los Angeles" stadium, which is actually gonna be located in the City of Industry. Well, who knows. Any other options for L.A. in the stadium front?

Sorry, my bad. All those "M" complexes over there in NY just threw me off. And too bad about M.C. & also the new "Los Angeles" stadium, which is actually gonna be located in the City of Industry. Well, who knows. Any other options for L.A. in the stadium front?

Well, not unless New York and New Jersey draft some legislation to make Secaucus part of New York City for the duration of a Games, and then cede it back to New Jersey afterwards. I mean a little creative legislation can make things go a long way. And as part of the deal, since there is still a lot of land there in NJ, put the OV also there...and New Jersey would have a brand new mini-city.

Daley has said there will probably be NO 2020. The USOC already announced that a few months ago, 2016 win or lose.

The Winter Cycle seems to come around every 20 years. So I think there will be a Reno-Tahoe 2022 bid.

I actually agree with a combination of FYI and Baron. The US will go for the 2022 or 2026 WOG and then go with LA after Europe, Asia and Africa have their bids and you wouldn't be able to deny North America any long

I too, think the USOC should sit out the next couple of races. We need to work on our relationship, and not always act so "eager"

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if the USOC chose to bid for 2020 since Canadian and African support could be tougher, but personally my enthusiasm has been sucked dry at the moment.

I mean Istanbul received 17 votes in the first round for 2008, just one less than Chicago received in this race. I still can't believe it.

I honestly dont think the US should bid for 10 years. The next time the US should throw its hat in the ring is for the 2026 Winter Olympics(election in 2019--ten years from now).

The US needs to show its generosity and allow other nations a chance to host. ALSO absnece makes the heart grow fonder.

The US needs 10 years of financial cleanup before we should even THINK about bidding. Chicago cant afford to bury its dead(homeless and unclaimed bodies), but they want a multi-billion dollar Olympics? Thats why the bid failed, the IOC doesnt want to award a games to a city whose gonna pay for the games with a credit card.

Im not sure of the reason but the US and the IOC need to take a break from eachother. In 2019 they can have makeup sex and get the 2026 winter games for Big Sky, Montana in the process.

THOUGHTS??

Chicago cant afford to bury its dead(homeless and unclaimed bodies), but they want a multi-billion dollar Olympics?

THOUGHTS??

I dunno about that. The Lausanne nuts still gave it to Rio despite the well-known presence of the favelas and the crime! The USOC did NOT foresee a strong Rio bid. It only thought that it was North America's time.

Archived