So, Where Does It Leave 2018?

How?

Also Harbin is too soon after Beijing.

I am not so sure anymore after the decision for Rio de Janeiro

The IOC wants to expand the Olympic Games to new frontier - they want to make them more universal - and they want to earn money - the Chinese Market is the largest unmetted one - the IOC sees in every Chinese a potential buyer of skis, ski boots, bobs, sleighs...

Argentina and Chile, by nature issues, are able to host the games.

The problem is economic (for Argentina) and the tradition of these countries on hosting winter sports events.

I'm not really up to date on winter games data. May be people here can help us.

I still say Harbin has a shot. I know a lot of people say "it's too soon after Beijing" but SLC '02 was just 6 years after Atlanta '96. At least there'd be a whole decade (well, like 5 or 6 months short) between Beijing and Harbin.

I think the best bet would be Chile, but what are the dates windows for WOG on IOC? As tight as SOG?

Rio won 2016 probably based on continental rotation.

If this is true, Rio is the biggest problem for any Chilean intention.

And more, WOG are usually held in the winter of Northern Hemisphere (dec-feb), and if Chile wants the WOG, this probably would be held in Southern Hemisphere winter (jun-aug).

The Chilean dream needs to wait a little bit more.

Rio won 2016 probably based on continental rotation.

If this is true, Rio is the biggest problem for any Chilean intention.

And more, WOG are usually held in the winter of Northern Hemisphere (dec-feb), and if Chile wants the WOG, this probably would be held in Southern Hemisphere winter (jun-aug).

The Chilean dream needs to wait a little bit more.

Ihave read on a another thread that WOGs are hosted usually in february, and the schedule runs around it. If thats the case. no way there will be a WOF hosted in SA, since in february there's absolutely no snow either in Chile or Argentina. SOF hosted on sprin is one thing, but WOG hosted on summer... no way.

Ihave read on a another thread that WOGs are hosted usually in february, and the schedule runs around it. If thats the case. no way there will be a WOF hosted in SA, since in february there's absolutely no snow either in Chile or Argentina. SOF hosted on sprin is one thing, but WOG hosted on summer... no way.

I disagree. I think it is eventually going to happen. But I think either Chile or Argentina ought to host a World Championship first.

Not for 2018. Both countries have to work more on some winter sports to make it happen. For instance, does anyone know about any cross-country ski tracks in Chile?

Agreed.

Well, I don't know much about Ski tracks in Chile.

I disagree. I think it is eventually going to happen. But I think either Chile or Argentina ought to host a World Championship first.

In Chile:

* Portillo hosted in 1966 the Alpine Ski World Championship

* Valle Nevado hosted in 2007 the Snowboard Cross World Cup

* La Parva will host next year the Youth Alpine Ski World Championship

Not for 2018. Both countries have to work more on some winter sports to make it happen. For instance, does anyone know about any cross-country ski tracks in Chile?

I'm not an expert, but I've heard Valle Nevado and Portillo have cross-country; also Termas de Chillán but they're too far away...

And I agree with you, Santiago is not feasible for 2018... maybe for a bid in 2022 or more realistic in 2026...

In Chile:

* Portillo hosted in 1966 the Alpine Ski World Championship

* Valle Nevado hosted in 2007 the Snowboard Cross World Cup

* La Parva will host next year the Youth Alpine Ski World Championship

I'm not an expert, but I've heard Valle Nevado and Portillo have cross-country; also Termas de Chillán but they're too far away...

And I agree with you, Santiago is not feasible for 2018... maybe for a bid in 2022 or more realistic in 2026...

I think the 1966 World Championship is too long ago. It would be nice to get another one. Youth Championship can be a path to the Youth Winter Olympics which might be helpful.

Regarding the Valle Nevado cross-country track, I haven't seen it when I was there, but it was more than 10 years ago. What puzzles me is the topography of the ski resorts in Chile which tend to be very steep, making it difficult to set up long cross-country tracks. By the way the kind of altitude you get in Valle Nevado can be also a problem for cross-counrty. That thing is almost 4.000 meters high.

I think the 1966 World Championship is too long ago. It would be nice to get another one. Youth Championship can be a path to the Youth Winter Olympics which might be helpful.

Regarding the Valle Nevado cross-country track, I haven't seen it when I was there, but it was more than 10 years ago. What puzzles me is the topography of the ski resorts in Chile which tend to be very steep, making it difficult to set up long cross-country tracks. By the way the kind of altitude you get in Valle Nevado can be also a problem for cross-counrty. That thing is almost 4.000 meters high.

I know 1966 was too old... but I just asked the question :P

I think a Youth WOG would be more feasible in the short term...

About the cross-country, I'm not an expert but I agree with you that it seems weird that Valle Nevado has a cross-country track... I read that Portillo has one but it's not used because of the warning of avalanches, maybe over a frozen Laguna del Ica. But I remember that when you're going to Portillo, there's a place of the Chilean Army and I've heard there is where the Chilean athletes train for cross-country...

I suspect that the US will want to bid for the 2022 or 2026 Winter Olympics.

As for the 2018 Winter Olympics, having only 3 cities/areas wanting it is the smallest amount in a long while. I think the evaluation process will be streamlined so that these 3 locales will become candidate cities and be evaluated as such.

I suspect that the US will want to bid for the 2022 or 2026 Winter Olympics.

Yeah, I believe Reno-Tahoe has set its sights and peaks for 2022.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympi...1216134788.html

Here, they're starting to host some major sports events http://usavolleyball.org/news/article/28218 (OK, it's a summer event...but the arena events will be in Reno proper.)

Archived