So, Where Does It Leave 2018?

my predictions for 2018 - Winter Olympics are different to Summer Olympics, due fewer countries are capable:

NORTH-AMERICA: good chance

- I wonder if the USA will bid with Denver

SOUTH-AMERICA: no chance after the decision for Rio de Janeiro,

- but I hope for Winter Oympics in Santiago de Chile (we have to persuade the Chilenians that they are capable to host) one day

AFRICA: no chance at all, since lack of capable places

ASIA: good chance

- Pyeongchang and Harbin will play a mayor role in the decision

EUROPE: good chance

- Annecy and München will play a mayor role in the decision

OCEANIA: no chance,

- but I do hope for Kiwi Winter Olympics in Christchurch one day

my predictions for 2018 - Winter Olympics are different to Summer Olympics, due fewer countries are capable:

- but I hope for Winter Oympics in Santiago de Chile (we have to persuade the Chilenians that they are capable to host) one day

CAF, didn't they just close the nominations for 2018 a few weeks ago?

Aside from today's disappointment, 2018 is too soon for the US again.

With continental rotation IN PLAY, Pyong Chang should get it.

CAF, didn't they just close the nominations for 2018 a few weeks ago?

Aside from today's disappointment, 2018 is too soon for the US again.

With continental rotation IN PLAY, Pyong Chang should get it.

Barron, instead of posting a lot of stupidities, please learn your classics.... & return to your constructive posts !

NOCs have till the 15th October to send the letter to IOC !

I think it is totally open to all nations & all continents...

North America, with an US bid, if the USOC and the bidders manage to get something solid (not a this one)

Asia : Pyoenchang after 2 last bids would be the favorites (to soon for a china bid to be dangerous)

Europe : Match between Munchen (Germany) & Annecy (France) with in a part of the head the future race for the 2025 games (Berlin vs Paris !)

Well... there are unofficial gossips here in Zaragoza... The "TV of Aragon" and a local newspaper say that Zaragoza will present a bid.

From what I know, we still have to wait a bit to get an official confirmation.

This a great question as a Madrid bid would have made a WOG for Harbin or PC all but a certainty.

As of right now... I still say Munich is the leader with PC right behind. Harbin is the dark horse since we still know so little about a potential bid plan.

As to the rotation, it just depends on if the IOC views Sochi as a European or an Asian Olympics. It would seem to be obviously European, but you could argue another way I suppose.

Patience, all good things come in time. We're still not done with decisions from the current IOC Congress and then Vancouver in a few months. Then we'll talk 2018 more.

This a great question as a Madrid bid would have made a WOG for Harbin or PC all but a certainty.

As of right now... I still say Munich is the leader with PC right behind. Harbin is the dark horse since we still know so little about a potential bid plan.

As to the rotation, it just depends on if the IOC views Sochi as a European or an Asian Olympics. It would seem to be obviously European, but you could argue another way I suppose.

Patience, all good things come in time. We're still not done with decisions from the current IOC Congress and then Vancouver in a few months. Then we'll talk 2018 more.

I share your sentiments.

I fully support Munich. To me, it is proposing the greatest Olympic bid of all time (no new venues are need at all!).

However, some IOC members may think that 2 back to back European cities should not host (Sochi-Munich). What I would argue is that Sochi stands for Europe and Asia as Russia spans two continents. I would also argue that Munich is entirely different.

Also, factor in the fact that Nanjing is bidding for the 2014 youth Olympics and if awarded to China, that could influence things.

2010 - Vancouver/Singapore

2012-London/innsbruck

2014-Sochi/Nanjing?

2016-Rio/?

2018-Munich?/?

So, Europe will be hosting less than half the games. I think Munich has a shot!

Here is the Harbin 2010 applicant file - their 2018 plan wil be similar. Since 2010 work has bene completed on the indoor skating rinks and long track speed skating rink. Yabuli will still ghost all snow evenets.

Harbin 2010 - thebidlibrary.com

There will be no USOC bid - with multiple interested bidders (Denver, Tahoe) they need to do an internal applicant phase. That hasn't happened. The USOC wont just go "OK - Denver" and hope it all works out this time. No way. Maybe for 2022.

We'll see bids from Annecy, Munich and Pyeongchang.

Maybe we'll get a bid from Changchun/Harbin or Zaragoza.

I would love it if the JOC would put forward Aomori or Sapporo - but again they would do an internal applicant phase first - like Fukuoka and Tokyo has to bid to get their 2016 candidacy.

I'd like to think Munich is a lock however with Rome already saying they want 2020 and the possibility of other major European cities going after 2020 we may see Munich pushed aside to further their chances at a Summer Games. Whereas Munich 2018 should not negatively impact say Rome 2020, what happened to Chicago will make any future bidder paranoid.

Oooo - i'd forgotten Zaragoza. Do we think the IOC will "do an Albertville"?

I don't hope so... And I am Spanish and would love to see the Winter Games in my country but we are about to get another Summer Games and Zaragoza 2018, even though I would be happy if it won, would kill a Spanish summer bid for at least 10 years.

In addition, the Spanish winter sports should develop much more before hosting the WOG.

Archived