Would San Francisco Have Done Better?

It was RIOs time. I think if SF had an awesome plan and sexy stadium with a giant sign with flashing tavoli lights across the top that said "Oh my god IOC you are so HUGE" we may have had a chance. But really you can't deny the draw of Rio. I just hope to GOD those venues are put together better before the games. I was looking at some of the construction materials in some of the shots and that stuff is GARBAGE.

Chicago failed in its lobbying strategy. I don't think they took it seriously enough that it was about getting IOC members committed to vote on them. Their plan was also very vulnerable to Rio's strengths. The main selling points in Rio bid (novelty and legacy) had no parallel in the Rio bid. On the other hand, Rio's big weakness the spread out layout was offset by the legacy it will bring.

So, since the Frisco bid did not develop, is impossible to know the outcome.

Who knows? Maybe, but I'm in agreement the USOC really messed up the Chicago bid by ticking off the IOC.

I think had SF managed to get their stadium issue resolved, I believe they may have pulled enogh votes from Chicago to give the nomination to Los Angeles.

I have to agree with Stryker - Chicago is very capable of hosting the Olympics and is certainly one of the top 5 cities able to do so here in the USA but I thought about this after the announcement and with the IOC having chose Rio today I think they are wanting more sex appeal to put it nicely - while I do love me some Chicago it doesn't have the same sex appeal as NYC, San Francisco or L.A. has

I have to agree with Stryker - Chicago is very capable of hosting the Olympics and is certainly one of the top 5 cities able to do so here in the USA but I thought about this after the announcement and with the IOC having chose Rio today I think they are wanting more sex appeal to put it nicely - while I do love me some Chicago it doesn't have the same sex appeal as NYC, San Francisco or L.A. has

Exactly. I was about to say. As I said in another post, Chicago makes too much of the steel and glass. It's NOT sexy. It's also very linear. NYC has to be the next US bid. There's land in Flushing Meadows for an Olympic Complex but they have to find another 50 acres or so for an Olympic Village.

That's the problem with the big US cities...the downtowns are so much alike...the very dense grids!! If only San Francisco could get a brand-new stadium regardless of those stupid 49ers. Problem is Candlestick Park is so cold that without a major tenant, no $800 million stadium is ever going to go up there.

Exactly. I was about to say. As I said in another post, Chicago makes too much of the steel and glass. It's NOT sexy. It's also very linear. NYC has to be the next US bid. There's land in Flushing Meadows for an Olympic Complex but they have to find another 50 acres or so for an Olympic Village.

That's the problem with the big US cities...the downtowns are so much alike...the very dense grids!! If only San Francisco could get a brand-new stadium regardless of those stupid 49ers. Problem is Candlestick Park is so cold that without a major tenant, no $800 million stadium is ever going to go up there.

Exactly - it would be great to see another bid from NYC but I honestly don't know if they will do it again - personally, I think San Francisco is hte better choice, it's more scenic, more liberal, more well liked....all they need is a good solid technical plan!

That is sort of what Chicago was hoping to get from the Olympics - more sex appeal. More recognition around the globe as a beautiful city. I don't really agree with you though. I think it has much more to do with a lack of enthusiasm behind the bid and the difficulty of overcoming Rios new frontier message.

That is sort of what Chicago was hoping to get from the Olympics - more sex appeal. More recognition around the globe as a beautiful city. I don't really agree with you though. I think it has much more to do with a lack of enthusiasm behind the bid and the difficulty of overcoming Rios new frontier message.

I never said that Chicago's reason for losing was because it didn't have as much sex appeal as Rio - I think we are all drawing conclusions that Rio was unstoppable this time, similar to Beijing for 2008. However, for the future, sexiness will be a factor. Sydney, Beijing, London, and Rio all have a major aura of sexiness to them that is hard to deny. Within North America Chicago is certainly one of the most well loved, respected cities, and does carry a sexiness favor but in my honest opinion the "very sexy" U.S. cities(similar to a Sydney or Rio) would be: NYC, Miami, and San Francisco. Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, San Diego, Boston, and Washington DC would probably round the next tier of sexiness but that's just my opinion.

I never said that Chicago's reason for losing was because it didn't have as much sex appeal as Rio

Are you sure? Did you not ever see this Rio 2016 promotional video?

http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/...100209/1163144/

Wait till after the short advertisement. This video may not be viewable outside the U.S.

I never said that Chicago's reason for losing was because it didn't have as much sex appeal as Rio - I think we are all drawing conclusions that Rio was unstoppable this time, similar to Beijing for 2008. However, for the future, sexiness will be a factor. Sydney, Beijing, London, and Rio all have a major aura of sexiness to them that is hard to deny. Within North America Chicago is certainly one of the most well loved, respected cities, and does carry a sexiness favor but in my honest opinion the "very sexy" U.S. cities(similar to a Sydney or Rio) would be: NYC, Miami, and San Francisco. Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, San Diego, Boston, and Washington DC would probably round the next tier of sexiness but that's just my opinion.

Hey Houston, come on, shouldn't LA be in the top sexy US cities column??? An even Houston might be in the 2nd tier ,those chrome streetlights and signs by the Galleria are the sexiest I've ever seen!

Hey Houston, come on, shouldn't LA be in the top sexy US cities column??? An even Houston might be in the 2nd tier ,those chrome streetlights and signs by the Galleria are the sexiest I've ever seen!

Probably, I was on the fence about that - now that i've thought about it more it probably should be. I like L.A. and all but I guess sometimes I can't get past of how fake and materialistic it can be. I personally have always preferred San Diego or San Francisco when it comes to California's cities.

As for Houston being in the 2nd tier sexiness - maybe, LOL. The city has vastly improved a lot over the past few years and has really cleaned up. I just recently moved back here so still learning more and more but it's a lot better than back in the 1980s, 1990s, and early 200s. Yes, those chrome streetlights by the Galleria are pretty nice, too bad traffic in that area is a pain. Houston is certainly the most International city out of all the Texas cities! :)

However, for the future, sexiness will be a factor. Sydney, Beijing, London, and Rio all have a major aura of sexiness to them that is hard to deny.

Beijing doesn't look sexy to me.

Beijing_Smog_August_5.jpg

Hong Kong or Shanghai seem more more "sexy", but I don't find China in general to be very appealing. But I understand your points, even though I feel that they didn't have much weight in the decision.

Even if San Fran did bid, it probably would have lost just as bad.

I agree. Beijing isn't sexy. It is mysterious, but not sexy. London isn't sexy either. It is dynamic and energetic, but not sexy. Rio, Barcelona, Sydney, Miami...those towns are sexy. I think to be sexy, you need to have a beach, have a great natural setting, and a unique cosmopolitan flair.

I agree. Beijing isn't sexy. It is mysterious, but not sexy. London isn't sexy either. It is dynamic and energetic, but not sexy. Rio, Barcelona, Sydney, Miami...those towns are sexy. I think to be sexy, you need to have a beach, have a great natural setting, and a unique cosmopolitan flair.

What about those Cities of Love, Paris or Rome?

I posted this in another thread, but maybe it should have been posted here:

San Francisco - IF (and it's a big IF), they could get their political act together, and that's asking a lot, unfortunately. Sailing on San Francisco Bay, Cycling and Marathon across the Golden Gate Bridge! Keep in mind as well, that a San Francisco bid would entail events not only in SF (a small 7x7, 49 Square mile city) but also events across the bay in Oakland, and Berkeley, as well. One of the last bids I saw had things like Boxing and Archery in the city (among others), Aquatics at either Berkeley or in a new Aquatic center built next to the new Olympic Stadium (depending on which plan for which bid you looked at) and Rowing at Briones Resevoir in the East Bay Hills. The worst of the plan was Gymnastics all the way down in San Jose in the South Bay (too far, IMO).

I'm surprised this site is still up, but it is:

http://www.sanfrancisco2016.org/

Link to download San Francisco 2016 USOC Bid Book:

http://www.sanfrancisco2016.org/see-our-pl...resentation.pdf

Archived