Congratulations Rio--madrid You Had The Best Bid

¡Lástima! Y ánimo a los madrileños y todos los españoles que respaldaron la candidatura, sin duda la mejor como proyecto real y fiable, con tanto empeño y cariño--también lo hicimos los hispanohablantes del continente americano--.

Felicidades a Rio...pero la deuda del COI para con Madrid va creciendo...

What a shame! And best wishes to the Madrileños and all Spaniards who backed the bid, without doubt the best as a real and dependable project, with such effort and love--Spanish-speakers in the Americas shared your enthusiasm.

Congratulations to Rio...but the IOC debt toward Madrid continues to grow...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but spanyards continues to be arrogant about their loss... This will not help Madrid for a future bid, and indeed this kind of comments made by Spanish Olympic members nulls the IOC debt toward Madrid...

If madrileños insist on this kind of commentary (Rio was the worst, the election was robbed), probably Madrid will be a new Istambul.

The IOC has no debt towards Madrid. Samaranch and Spain got their games in 1992. Many would prefer to see France, Italy, Germany etc. before Spain wins another Summer Games.

I wish people would get over this idea that the IOC owes them.

True, Rob...

Only madrileños didn't realized that...

Madrid 2016 was fully out-of-time... Even Samaranch said this in 2007... (Proposing withdraw Madrid bid)

BTW, Peru now wants to bid for 2020 or 2024... Man, It will take other 40+ years to Latin America get another games... Mexico 1968 - Rio 2016 - Buenos Aires 2060... (my bet is the next latin american olympics will be held in Argentina... or not :rolleyes:)

Go Santiago!!! Better Chile than Argentina!!!

True, Rob...

Madrid 2016 was fully out-of-time... Even Samaranch said this in 2007... (Proposing withdraw Madrid bid)

BTW, Peru now wants to bid for 2020 or 2024... Man, It will take other 40+ years to Latin America get another games... Mexico 1968 - Rio 2016 - Buenos Aires 2060... (my bet is the next latin american olympics will be held in Argentina... or not :rolleyes:)

Dannyel,

That might not be true. The gap between developing and developed nations is decreasing fast and constantly. So, we should expect more South American, Asian and African countries with better bids in the near future.

True, Rob...

man, i would bet with you that chile will get the Olympiad first.. Argentina is going in the wrong direction... in 10-15 years they'll pay for it...

True, Rob...

Differently of many people here in Brazil, I like Argentina, but the way Argentina is, Buenos Aires will never host.

Chile is most likely to. Santiago to be precise. But this for 2040.

We all like Argentina right now because they're down, and we Brazilians love an underdog. Once Argentina becomes prosperous again, I'm sure we're going to have our Pre-Mercosur Anti-argentinism back.

I have nothing with Argentine people.

Never had.

Except in sports since I saw on TV argentine supporters putting fire in a Brazilian flag during Copa America 97 match.

I will always cheer against Argentina in any competition!

True, Rob...

With a good project South America can host the Summer Olympics in 24 or 28 years after Rio.

With a good project South America can host the Summer Olympics in 24 or 28 years after Rio.

Buenos Aries in Argentina would be a contender for a future bid I would think.

I actually think it will be some time before South America hosts again but now the IOC can't be accused of denying that Continent the games. The only place left to stage is Africa and I think Cape town will host at some stage. I actually think once Africa hosts it will be a generally good thing for the 'democracy' of the bidding process and perhaps an emphasis will return to the 'best' bids if the continental issues have been dealt with.

As for Madrid, well they will always produce a great bid. Their infrastructure is brilliant and their venues are top notch. It's really about timing for their bid.

I fear Madrid may not host for a long time as either in 2020/2024 another European city will host. Madrid could be up against formidable opposition if it bids with the likes of Rome and Paris.

Buenos Aries in Argentina would be a contender for a future bid I would think.

I actually think it will be some time before South America hosts again but now the IOC can't be accused of denying that Continent the games. The only place left to stage is Africa and I think Cape town will host at some stage. I actually think once Africa hosts it will be a generally good thing for the 'democracy' of the bidding process and perhaps an emphasis will return to the 'best' bids if the continental issues have been dealt with.

As for Madrid, well they will always produce a great bid. Their infrastructure is brilliant and their venues are top notch. It's really about timing for their bid.

I fear Madrid may not host for a long time as either in 2020/2024 another European city will host. Madrid could be up against formidable opposition if it bids with the likes of Rome and Paris.

So this expert opinion of Buenos Aires is it based on actually visiting the country or it is that they are perhaps more Like you being European ?

I have been to Buenos Aires live and in Person and it will be a long time before Argentina is trusted with a games simply on the fact that their economic meltdown of 2001 left investors with a bad taste in their mouths. One investor who was on ship when we ported was the former President of Sony BMG South America and he is a native of Argentina. He lost everything in regards to life savings and investments thanks to the Argentine Government in 2001.

I could see Chile and the city of Santiago before Buenos Aires actually. I have been there as well and it is actually a much better city for infrastructure. I was in BA for two days and Santiago for one . The differences were stark . Frankly I can't see either forwarding a bid for a long time.

"best bids" have to be timed to be best bids. There is going to probably be a certain amount of sentiment going forward that Europe is not as visited as much as in the past. A Return to China will be in the cards and depending on How Rio 2016 does you will probably see other frontiers come easier. Japan or Even South Korea are very possible . Then you will have some wildcards . Not saying that will run back to back to back.

Then it will be returning to North America at different points. It is not like the early part of the 20th century where Europe hosted back to back to back practically because it was more practical to bring Australian's by Passenger Ship then a dozen or so countries from Europe going the other way.

You are going to see periods like we have now with Athens in 2004 and London in 2012 but 2020 maybe skip Europe for a few places . Rome is in the top five of places having bid and lost the most while also hosting . Paris is approaching that water mark as well. Considering what happened to an odds on favorite with Chicago 2016 I think there will be many cities taking a good hard look at how they spend 50 million on a losing effort. if it takes 50 million and up a try and perhaps two tries or more the local taxpayers i can see being tolerant of that. Especially if the city has hosted before. I can't see Tokyo for a while .

Capetown coming up even for 2020 I think would have to worry any one . They came close for 2004 and Africa is one of those last frontiers . South Africa have more going for them with hosting the 2010 World Cup then many Olympic Host Nations that have not hosted a world cup nor hosted a world cup prior to the SOGs.

Russia , China , Japan , South Korea , England , France , Canada, Australia , Greece all have hosted SOG's either before the staging the world cup or have never staged the world cup period. South Africa has that very much in their resume where as many offering themselves such as Berlin or Paris are just piling on with SOGs Bids that get rejected.

You can write the best piece of science fiction in the world which many bids are but ultimately you may not be rewarded.

Jim jones

So this expert opinion of Buenos Aires is it based on actually visiting the country or it is that they are perhaps more Like you being European ?

I have been to Buenos Aires live and in Person and it will be a long time before Argentina is trusted with a games simply on the fact that their economic meltdown of 2001 left investors with a bad taste in their mouths. One investor who was on ship when we ported was the former President of Sony BMG South America and he is a native of Argentina. He lost everything in regards to life savings and investments thanks to the Argentine Government in 2001.

I could see Chile and the city of Santiago before Buenos Aires actually. I have been there as well and it is actually a much better city for infrastructure. I was in BA for two days and Santiago for one . The differences were stark . Frankly I can't see either forwarding a bid for a long time.

"best bids" have to be timed to be best bids. There is going to probably be a certain amount of sentiment going forward that Europe is not as visited as much as in the past. A Return to China will be in the cards and depending on How Rio 2016 does you will probably see other frontiers come easier. Japan or Even South Korea are very possible . Then you will have some wildcards . Not saying that will run back to back to back.

Then it will be returning to North America at different points. It is not like the early part of the 20th century where Europe hosted back to back to back practically because it was more practical to bring Australian's by Passenger Ship then a dozen or so countries from Europe going the other way.

You are going to see periods like we have now with Athens in 2004 and London in 2012 but 2020 maybe skip Europe for a few places . Rome is in the top five of places having bid and lost the most while also hosting . Paris is approaching that water mark as well. Considering what happened to an odds on favorite with Chicago 2016 I think there will be many cities taking a good hard look at how they spend 50 million on a losing effort. if it takes 50 million and up a try and perhaps two tries or more the local taxpayers i can see being tolerant of that. Especially if the city has hosted before. I can't see Tokyo for a while .

Capetown coming up even for 2020 I think would have to worry any one . They came close for 2004 and Africa is one of those last frontiers . South Africa have more going for them with hosting the 2010 World Cup then many Olympic Host Nations that have not hosted a world cup nor hosted a world cup prior to the SOGs.

Russia , China , Japan , South Korea , England , France , Canada, Australia , Greece all have hosted SOG's either before the staging the world cup or have never staged the world cup period. South Africa has that very much in their resume where as many offering themselves such as Berlin or Paris are just piling on with SOGs Bids that get rejected.

You can write the best piece of science fiction in the world which many bids are but ultimately you may not be rewarded.

Jim jones

Why has everything got to be about race with you. I NEVER mentioned anything about race in regards to Argentina but merely gave a speculative opinion. You can't just talk in a civilised manner. You are trying to start an argument.

On things for sure - Buenos Aries will host before Abuja which as we know has a few 'civil' problems. lol.

Oh, and South Korea has hosted before - Seoul 1988 was in South Korea.

Anyway, this thread is about Madrid.

Archived