So, Where Does That Leave 2020?

ROMA 2020

ROMA 2020 bid almost certain according with italian CONI:

Il Presidente del CONI, Giovanni Petrucci, ha rilasciato la seguente dichiarazione dopo l'assegnazione a Rio de Janeiro dei Giochi Olimpici Estivi 2016:

"Sono maturi i tempi per una candidatura olimpica italiana per i Giochi del 2020. La vittoria di Rio de Janeiro dà sicuramente all’Italia la possibilità di valutare con attenzione di presentare una città per l’edizione estiva successiva al 2016. Ne ho parlato con i membri del CIO italiani che sono sempre determinanti per numero e prestigio. Ovviamente dovremo valutare eventuali proposte che dovessero arrivare dalle città italiane unitamente ai membri della Giunta e del Consiglio Nazionale del CONI. Perché sia chiaro sempre un principio: la città si propone ma è il CONI che decide e presenta la candidatura al CIO. Avete visto cosa è accaduto oggi con questa sfida appassionante e avvincente. Si sono mossi i Capi di Stato per caldeggiare le loro città, i loro Paesi. Il CONI non potrà portare avanti un progetto senza l’appoggio unitario del Governo, dell’opposizione e delle nostre massime autorità istituzionali. Ricordo a tutti, qualora ce ne fosse bisogno, che le Olimpiadi consentono aumenti considerevoli del Pil. Un Paese come l’Italia, che ha voglia di ritrovare entusiasmo e soprattutto di guardare al futuro con serenità, deve prendere l’eventualità di una candidatura come un’opportunità di assoluto prestigio e di grande fascino".

Roma, 2 ottobre 2009

http://www.coni.it/?dettaglio_news_&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=6928&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=5b17a36346

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point? North America should be getting the 2020 games.

Shudda cudda. Unless Cape Town falls into the sea. The IOC (and FIFA) will want to fast-track their commitments to the un-hosted continents first. THey know that Europe and North America will always be there; and that the 'New Frontiers' should be encouraged on their first tries now.

Environmentally friendly? How? I mean Pittsburgh got the G20 summit because of its "Environmental reputation"? Where was Boston? :blink:

Pittsburgh got the G-20 more because of its economic transformation after the fall of the steel industry here in the '80s, and because we have the world's largest "green" convention center. We have become more know for our environment and energy efficiency, but any city would look green after how smoky Pittsburgh was in the first half of the 20th century.

I agree with those who have basically said that it will be very difficult for the IOC to go around the United States for 2020-there simply aren't that many non awkward alternatives, if one assumes that Paris is on a glide path to 2024-and that would be eminently logical given that Paris has already bid thrice and gotten beaten by geopolitics in 2001 and by something resembling a perfect storm in '05 (London and Berlin were probably the only two cities that could have knocked off Paris, and London bid). The IOC tends to reward repeat bids-see Rio, Beijing, and Athens. So, given Paris in 2024.....the IOC's only options for going around it are: Istanbul (by calling it the Middle East) and somewhere in South Africa.

If you assume that the European delegations will want to grease the wheels for Paris, picking a non-North America candidate imperils that; it would look very bad for Europe to be having its 3rd summer games in 20 years while North America had been locked out for close to 30 years. So, with that considered, it almost has to be a North American games, and I doubt Mexico or Canada will throw in for that one, so the IOC and the US learn to live with one another. As for who the US will put up...

I still think Chicago should be the pick-the technical bid was great, though I might go with a permanent stadium designed to replace the White Sox's place at US Cellular similar to what Atlanta did; this might also be a face saving way out for the IOC members to cite the temporary stadium as the reason for today's decision. New York was a disaster, and I have my doubts about San Francisco's plans. The parklands in Chicago aren't going anywhere, though you're going to need to find somewhere else for an athletes village.

2018-Asia or Oceana: My guess is that it will be either a Pyeongchang (most likely) or Christchurch/New Zealand bid.

If New Zealand got selected, then Asia would have a very outside shot-Tokyo being the most likely, but still, with the gap between Atlanta and 2020....

2022-Interesting decision set up, if you take Paris as the 2024 city and North America/United States as 2020. If New Zealand didn't get the 2018 games they would be a logical fit, but another thought is that the Germans/Austrians are due for a games of some sort-Munich?

2024-Paris

2026-That German/Austrian bid?????

2028-Africa, then after that, who knows

My thoughts on potential 2020 Summer Olympics Hosts:

North America

In my mind, assuming that the IOC is waiting on a 2024 Paris bid, then the race for the host of the 2020 Olympics is between the US, Mexico, and Canada. Looking at North America, I truly don't believe that the IOC would go for two Latin Olympics in a row, virtually eliminating Mexico from contention. There's been a lot of talk on this board about a Canadian bid, but 2020 falls too close to the 2010 date. In addition, Canadian bids have a horrible history-- Montreal and Calgary are still paying for their games. Besides, while Canada does have a storied tradition in the Winter Games, it has not performed as well in the Summer Olympics.

That leaves the US. I cannot attest for IOC-USOC relations, but I have a hard time imagining that the US would not host the Summer Games in a span of 32 years which, if I'm right about my Paris hypothesis, is what we're looking at should they not win the 2020 Olympics. I have no idea what city would host the games-- certainly, Tulsa, Birmingham, and Detroit aren't that exciting-- but if a beautiful, well-developed, and modern US city wants to host, I could see them winning. I'd be on the lookout for Seattle, New York, Chicago, or Boston, though if they could work out the kinks from their failed 2012 USOC bid, a San Francisco bid could work.

Ummm, it's news to me that Calgary is still paying off their games when from I remember hearing is that they had a profit. And didn't Montreal finish paying off their games earlier in this decade?

You are 100% correct: Calgary turned a small profit and left a huge legacy for sport in Alberta and Canada.

Montréal finished paying off the stadium a couple of years ago. But even that was more indicative of the impact of a regional government managing its affairs poorly.

Ummm, it's news to me that Calgary is still paying off their games when from I remember hearing is that they had a profit. And didn't Montreal finish paying off their games earlier in this decade?

Shudda cudda. Unless Cape Town falls into the sea. The IOC (and FIFA) will want to fast-track their commitments to the un-hosted continents first. THey know that Europe and North America will always be there; and that the 'New Frontiers' should be encouraged on their first tries now.

That's not true. Rio was smacked down twice in the past 12 years and Cape Town and Buenos Aires were also told no.

Anyway...maybe the USOC should try a tear jerker with New Orleans.

The COC have made it known publicly that they would be putting forth a Toronto bid for 2020 or 2024 depending on the outcome of the 2016 decision. I think its pretty obvious that they will eventually launch a bid. They will not publicly announce this now for obvious reasons. (2015 Pan American Bid) I'm pretty sure those individuals who have been working on Toronto's Olympic bid behind closed doors, which I know for a fact has been going on through city hall connections, are all jumping up and down at the result of today's election.

First things first, who's ruled out? Basically South America, and dare I say, Mexico?

Outside that, It's up for grabs.

I would love the idea of Capetown 2020, but I really do think that with Sochi and Rio, the new frontiers have been dealt with for the time-being, and we're gonna see a couple of safety hosts coming up. But if they do bid, I think they'd get a strong encouragement and sentimental base vote and who know's ... we've just sen Rio translate that into success. I hope the long-awaited bid happens and I'll be pleasantly impressed if I see them getting traction.

2018 opens up a lot of permutations. It hamstrings, or at least places a dilemma for, two of the potentially strongest contenders - Paris and Berlin - for the next two years. And if PC gets it, that does no favours for another Tokyo tilt. Though not fatally. Similarly, I don't think a Munich or Annecy win would help, but it wouldn't kill a European 2020 bid chances.

It'll be intersting to watch what Madrid or Tokyo might do. Is there any word yet?

Rome is gonna be strong. At this, ridiculously early, stage, it's my tip as the bid to watch.

I've never been hot on the idea of a Dubai/Doha's chances, but, hmmm, I agree, they could be a dark horse in this one.

Toronto? I'd like to see it make a bid, it'll do a lot to keep GamesBids buzzing. But my gut feeling is that when it coms down to chances, just be a bit patient - I think the right time to strike may be in the later 2020s.

The USA? Sigh! It's hard to sugar coat what happened last night. There's gonna be a LOT of discussions about it in coming years on GamesBids and elsewhere. Personally I think it is a combination of the prickly relationship between the IOC and the USOC, AND the Obama-mania, and its implications (why WAS Chicago so desperate for him unless they didn't think the bid could stand on its own), which meant the IOC had him set up as a perfect demonstration of their resistance to being swayed by charismatic national leaders. I think the USOC should sit out 2020 and think things through. Of course, the US WILL host again in the future, but it may need to be patient.

Who else could come out of the woodwork? An Eastern Europeaner could be a possibility. I always have hopes Budapest would give it a try. If Istanbul can come up with a FRESH bid they might finally gain some ground. I suppose some central Asian Stan will get bright ideas again.

I'm just thinking it out. Toronto does stand a good chance at the 2020 Olympics even with Vancouver 2010. 10 years seems like a decent time frame even though some may think its too soon. But lets take a look at the other viable candidates.

I don't think the USA are going to bid for them. They just got spit in the face by the IOC. Chicago's bid was solid. How the hell did they get knocked out first??? Makes no sense but put two and two together and we all know why they got the boot first.

When we look at rotation of the games. It looks like North America should be due in 2020. Europe is also a possibility. I think it's highly unlikely that the IOC reward Cape Town with the win of Rio today and it doesn't help when the organization of the FIFA World Cup hasn't been the best and the amount of violence in that region. I doubt the IOC will take another chance like they just did with Rio. They will go the safe route for 2020.

2000-Sydney, Australia (Oceania)

2004-Athens, Greece (Europe)

2008-Beijing, China (Asia)

2012-London, England (Europe)

2016-Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (South America)

2020- You would assume North America

It's pretty much set in stone now that Toronto will win the 2015 Pan American Games which will be decided next month. Toronto will gain the experience needed on their resume of hosting International sporting events and gain some new venues that can be apart of the 2020 Olympic bid. The lands where most of the proposed venues for the 2008 bid still remain vacant. The city is saving it for something. Duh!!!

Do you guys think the IOC would prefer to have Paris host the 2024 games to celebrate the 100th Anniversary since the 1924 Paris Olympics? That would make a great story and theme for that year. I read on here that Paris said they'll sit out the 2020 bid race and wait for 2024? Is that true? I don't remember reading that but I guess that press release came out over a year ago or something. You'd think Paris would be awarded the games on their next bid since the city is highly capable of hosting the Olympics and have been shafted many times already. It should be their time soon.

Anyways, the competition should be much easier for Toronto this time. Beijing was definitely too much for them to handle.

These are the cities that I can think off the top of my head that I know would have a vested interest in bidding for the 2020 Olympics either by past bids or public announcements letting it be known of their interest. And Toronto would definitely be one of the strongest competitors in the group.

DEFINITE BIDDERS

Toronto

Rome

Madrid

Cape Town

Istanbul

Doha

Dubai

Delhi

Monterrey or Guadalajara

ON THE FENCE BIDDERS

American city (Chicago, NYC, LA, Houston,etc) - Will they waste all that time, money and effort on another loss and shun from the IOC again?

Tokyo - Will Pyeongchang win the Winter Olympics? If they do, bye bye Tokyo bid.

Busan - Read above.

Berlin - If Munich wins the Winter Olympics, Berlin would clearly be out of the picture.

Shortlist

Toronto

Rome

Madrid

Istanbul

Cape Town

I must say its exciting to have Toronto back in the mix of things. I've patiently been waiting for another chance since 2001 when we lost our bid to Beijing. I definitely look forward to the 2020 Summer Olympic race to begin and unfold.

Also on the Toronto bid,

The vote for 2020 will be 2013, one year after London. Europe games will be fresh on their mind which can boost North America's chance again European cities. Kind of like everyone expect Tokyo to lose because Beijing was last year.

I do think the biggest opponent for Toronto 2020 will be an US bid, if USOC put forward another solid bid like Chicago then I dont see IOC snubbing them again.

Also on the Toronto bid,

The vote for 2020 will be 2013, one year after London. Europe games will be fresh on their mind which can boost North America's chance again European cities. Kind of like everyone expect Tokyo to lose because Beijing was last year.

I do think the biggest opponent for Toronto 2020 will be an US bid, if USOC put forward another solid bid like Chicago then I dont see IOC snubbing them again.

Good points you brought up there walei!!

Chicago doesn't look like they'll bid again for 2020. The U.S. will likely sit the race out.

I had to sign up just to post this.

1: As an American I give a hearty CONGRATULATIONS to Rio and the beautiful people of Brasil for your winning bid! Out of all the cities I've ever visited, Rio is my favorite. I'm sorry the Obamas had to a take a hit on this, but I believe that the best city won. Does anyone know where I can get a hotel in Rio for less than $1000 a night :-)

2: I am in total agreement with Athensfan....the US should not submit another bid until the static between IOC and USOC is settled once and for all. Why waste the time and money? If IOC perceives that as a "shun", all the better. Better to put the money into program development.

3: As they say, "Absense makes the heart grow fonder". We (the U.S.) have hosted so many games that we no longer view them aspirationally...like a dream event to put us on the map. We think we invented the map and we don't need to spend no stinkin' billions to prove it. Hell, 50% of Chicagoans didn't want them! So I say let's cool it...maybe 32, 36 or even 48 years of separation may be just what the doctor ordered. Maybe by then the Olympics will be fashionable again in American eyes or the funeral home will have cleared up all the bad blood between IOC and USOC!

I had to sign up just to post this.

So I say let's cool it...maybe 32, 36 or even 48 years of separation may be just what the doctor ordered.

Ummm yeah, while I do plan to live to at least 100, I did want to attend a Summer Olympic Games in the U.S. while I am still relatively young...or ALIVE even.

I too agree that the US should sit out (and try to get some of the corporations to do the same). I think that a lot can change in 4 years however and if Europe is gearing up for a Paris 2024 bid and Rio appears to not be on schedule than consider a bid.

As for Boston. I lived there for a number of years and at first thought I would say the city is not built for the Olympics but the more I think about it, the better it is sounding.

1.There are over 40 colleges in Boston and a lot of them could be used to house events during the summer. They could also use the Olympic village as housing in the future (In the Georgia Tech model).

2. The city has great public transportation

3. The only minus I see is the main stadium. They could probably find the room to build one near logan (and an aquatic center) but what would happen to it after. The Patriots just got a new stadium in '02 so maybe by 2025 they would be ready for a new one. The Red Sox will never move out of Fenway. The stadium would be too big for any of the universities.

4. Anybody who has been to Boston in the summer knows how wonderful of a city it is. It feels like a small town and would hold as a "green" games

5. Boston loves their sports and I don't think there would be the same level of discord in the city over a bid as there was in Chicago this time

(http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/10/disband-ioc.html) <- An interesting article by 538 which examines polling. Take away the title and an interesting article.

I'm just thinking it out. Toronto does stand a good chance at the 2020 Olympics even with Vancouver 2010. 10 years seems like a decent time frame even though some may think its too soon. But lets take a look at the other viable candidates.

I don't think the USA are going to bid for them. They just got spit in the face by the IOC. Chicago's bid was solid. How the hell did they get knocked out first??? Makes no sense but put two and two together and we all know why they got the boot first.

When we look at rotation of the games. It looks like North America should be due in 2020. Europe is also a possibility. I think it's highly unlikely that the IOC reward Cape Town with the win of Rio today and it doesn't help when the organization of the FIFA World Cup hasn't been the best and the amount of violence in that region. I doubt the IOC will take another chance like they just did with Rio. They will go the safe route for 2020.

2000-Sydney, Australia (Oceania)

2004-Athens, Greece (Europe)

2008-Beijing, China (Asia)

2012-London, England (Europe)

2016-Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (South America)

2020- You would assume North America

It's pretty much set in stone now that Toronto will win the 2015 Pan American Games which will be decided next month. Toronto will gain the experience needed on their resume of hosting International sporting events and gain some new venues that can be apart of the 2020 Olympic bid. The lands where most of the proposed venues for the 2008 bid still remain vacant. The city is saving it for something. Duh!!!

Do you guys think the IOC would prefer to have Paris host the 2024 games to celebrate the 100th Anniversary since the 1924 Paris Olympics? That would make a great story and theme for that year. I read on here that Paris said they'll sit out the 2020 bid race and wait for 2024? Is that true? I don't remember reading that but I guess that press release came out over a year ago or something. You'd think Paris would be awarded the games on their next bid since the city is highly capable of hosting the Olympics and have been shafted many times already. It should be their time soon.

Anyways, the competition should be much easier for Toronto this time. Beijing was definitely too much for them to handle.

These are the cities that I can think off the top of my head that I know would have a vested interest in bidding for the 2020 Olympics either by past bids or public announcements letting it be known of their interest. And Toronto would definitely be one of the strongest competitors in the group.

DEFINITE BIDDERS

Toronto

Rome

Madrid

Cape Town

Istanbul

Doha

Dubai

Delhi

Monterrey or Guadalajara

ON THE FENCE BIDDERS

American city (Chicago, NYC, LA, Houston,etc) - Will they waste all that time, money and effort on another loss and shun from the IOC again?

Tokyo - Will Pyeongchang win the Winter Olympics? If they do, bye bye Tokyo bid.

Busan - Read above.

Berlin - If Munich wins the Winter Olympics, Berlin would clearly be out of the picture.

Shortlist

Toronto

Rome

Madrid

Istanbul

Cape Town

I must say its exciting to have Toronto back in the mix of things. I've patiently been waiting for another chance since 2001 when we lost our bid to Beijing. I definitely look forward to the 2020 Summer Olympic race to begin and unfold.

Vancouver 2010 to toronto 2020 = 10 yrs differece, but the decision for the 2020 olympics is only 3 yrs after Vancouver 2010, too recent still very fresh, nd Toronto can't count on 2015 PAG if it wins cuz it wouldn't have happened. But yea, Toronto give it a try. Ohh Canada wants the 2022 WOG too! :lol:

Archived