So, Where Does That Leave 2020?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 2020 will be an European Games, we will see the major European cities with the exception of London fighting for those Games. However, having Paris or Berlin bidding depends on the host of the 2018 Winter Olympics.

I'd say Rome and Cape Town will be bidding for sure, but Cape Town has it really difficult with Rio hosting the previous Games.

I'd say Rome and Cape Town will be bidding for sure, but Cape Town has it really difficult with Rio hosting the previous Games.

Athan, do you think Madrid will go for a 3rd round?

I think Rio 2016 does NOT hurt Cape Town 2020. If anything, Cape Town will have the WOrld Cup next year, Durban 2011 for the IOC...and they can now use the same "Africa's NEVER HAD IT" card. If WC 2010 is a mess, then maybe some other city has a chance.

I still think it will be pretty open, but Cape Town will be the Madrid of this process. Will be nay-sayed because of the geopolitical "no two of a kind (in this case new frontiers) back to back" argument, but it could score well.

But realistically, Europe, the USA, and Asia are in the best position at the early start...although I'm starting to doubt the USA's relationship with the IOC. I don't see Canada in the running for a while.

But realistically, Europe, the USA, and Asia are in the best position at the early start...although I'm starting to doubt the USA's relationship with the IOC. I don't see Canada in the running for a while.

I don't think a SOG will come to the US soon. But I think if you put in a good bid, that builds a reserve pool of goodwill that the IOC'ers do not forget. I think they might throw Winter 2022 to the US.

I still think it will be pretty open, but Cape Town will be the Madrid of this process. Will be nay-sayed because of the geopolitical "no two of a kind (in this case new frontiers) back to back" argument, but it could score well.

Rome has to be the favorite from Europe. Too early to say much about Istanbul. I predict Boston is the US bid.

The last time North American held the SOG was in 1996. In 2020, it will have been 24 long years. I think that, if Toronto or an American city come up with a good bid, why not?

I also believe that Madrid and Rome may bring some flavour to the dispute. Cape Town and Istanbul can show up as well.

Or Paris.

I just don't see Toronto in there. Vancouver is only months away and that means that Toronto would start bidding at a time when the IOC will have been Canada-ed out and Canada would be IOC-ed out. And Toronto is busy with a Pan-Ams bid for 2015. And Toronto 2020 would mean Canada's fourth Olympics in less than 50 years?

Athan, do you think Madrid will go for a 3rd round?

After what has just happened, I wouldn't say Madrid is out of the 2020 race. I think Madrid is like the Pyeongchang of the SOG, always good but never the winner.

I support Pyeongchang 2018 and Madrid 2020! If Cape Town hosts in 2024, the 2020 OG would be the new frontier-intercalated Games :lol:

I would not mind Toronto. But I really would like to see the games in New York City.

I don't believe Toronto would have a chance so early after Vancouver. Canada will have hosted the Games three times. That's a lot fo a country of Canada's size. I also think Toronto does not want to go through what Chicago is going through now. A good bid going down in flames so quickly does nothing toe encourage other similar cities to spend $millions on a bid.

The IOC and USOC clearly need to sort out some issues! But sponsorship and TV rights from the US will become increasingly less important as the world economy moves away from the US. I'd like to see a winter games in 22 and a summer games as soon as possible - but realistically I'm thinking the 30s or late 20s? Having said that they'll probably now go and walk the 2020 race!

I think NY would be more like Chicago. I think we had enough of the American skyscraper cityscape, the US needs a green bid nd a greener place. :)
how big is a space left near Logan that could be home to a new stadium?

I hope no U.S. city bids for 2020.

Maybe Toronto, but it depends on success from Vancouver

Probably Paris especially if Annecy fails

Probably Madrid, with high public support, why not?

Possibly Berlin, but at this early stage in the race Munich is the favorite for 2018

Probably not Tokyo, unless they can get their public on board

Probably not Cape Town or Durban, unless they are delusional.

who knows.

how big is a space left near Logan that could be home to a new stadium?

hm it would required some planning but the city has space, boston itslef is small But it's made up Of sattelite towns, but the stadium could be built in the core.

Boston took the advantage of chicagos fall to speak:

http://boston.about.com/b/2009/10/02/would...k-in-boston.htm

http://thephoenix.com/BLOGS/phlog/archive/...gets-blown.aspx

Is there one. You aren't thinking of Tulsa are you...?!

definately not Tulsa not Birmingham not Minneapolis(ughh blaah).

My avatar tells my opinion!

<<<<<

if you ever take a walk here in the city, ud feel the freshness nd cleaness, nothing like NY

Archived