Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattperiolat

Rio's Punch List

OK, congratulations to Rio. Now, you guys got some work to do and not a ton of time to do it.

So, here's what for me needs to be done to sell me on a Rio Olympics:

- Transportation between the clusters. This has been a big sticking point over the bid from word go for me. All four clusters need to be connected by both roads and alternative transportation and it needs to be proven to work and work well before 2016.

- The Olympic Stadium. Sorry, I hate that the stadium being used for the ceremonies is only going to host one other event - the gold medal soccer match. I'm hoping that the athletics stadium would be considered as an alternative site for the ceremonies.

- Improving the city's status. Much was made of potential crime and poverty issues in Rio. Now that the Olympics are coming to town, this is a golden opportunity to try and fix these issues and truly make Rio as a world class status city.

That's all I can think of. Consider this all constructive criticism and I wish Rio the very best.

It seems Rio also must come up with some cash. They just had to cancel their bid to host an international swimming event for lack of money...but yet they still think they can host the two largest sporting events on the globe in a span of two years...I am incredibly worried for the 2016 games at this moment...and it isn't sour grapes speaking here...it is cold hard reality time for Rio

It seems Rio also must come up with some cash. They just had to cancel their bid to host an international swimming event for lack of money...but yet they still think they can host the two largest sporting events on the globe in a span of two years...I am incredibly worried for the 2016 games at this moment...and it isn't sour grapes speaking here...it is cold hard reality time for Rio

The IOC's second favourite for hosting the 2016 Games will be always ready to host them if Rio couldn't :P

OK, it was a joke. I think Rio will have no economical problems with the Games. Accomodation and especially security in the city is what makes me feel worried.

Yep - the bid presentation said they would "start tomorrow". What are you waiting for - start today!

Yep - the bid presentation said they would "start tomorrow". What are you waiting for - start today!

OMG GUYS! Rome wasn`t build in a day! London, neither! Even God rested on the 7th day! Let the guys rest for a day! It`s been such a long path to this, and if they/we start tomorrow, it`s good enough!

I want to volunteer and I`ll look at ways to my job as one!

OK, congratulations to Rio. Now, you guys got some work to do and not a ton of time to do it.

So, here's what for me needs to be done to sell me on a Rio Olympics:

- Transportation between the clusters. This has been a big sticking point over the bid from word go for me. All four clusters need to be connected by both roads and alternative transportation and it needs to be proven to work and work well before 2016.

40% of all of the money - and the govt is putting a LOT of money in this - will go straight to transportation. I do think, also, that this is a major point but I believe they will fix it neatly.

- The Olympic Stadium. Sorry, I hate that the stadium being used for the ceremonies is only going to host one other event - the gold medal soccer match. I'm hoping that the athletics stadium would be considered as an alternative site for the ceremonies.

This is something that can be improved.

- Improving the city's status. Much was made of potential crime and poverty issues in Rio. Now that the Olympics are coming to town, this is a golden opportunity to try and fix these issues and truly make Rio as a world class status city.

I hope that, as Rio gains its momentum in the international media, people will see what we really are. Rio has a terrible, stereotypical image, and most of it are things we are not. Much advance will be reached, but I think that the SOG will also open the eyes of some people.

My first impression is that this is going to be an unmitigated disaster. All the flaws from the 2007 Pan Am Games were neatly covered up and the evaluation report grossly understated the issue of crime in the city. This is the biggest risk the IOC has taken in a long time and they may well come to regret this decision down the road. I wish Rio well and hope things turn out nicely for them and that they prove me wrong. I'll be here on the 22nd of August 2016 to apologize if they do.

40% of all of the money - and the govt is putting a LOT of money in this - will go straight to transportation. I do think, also, that this is a major point but I believe they will fix it neatly.

This is something that can be improved.

I hope that, as Rio gains its momentum in the international media, people will see what we really are. Rio has a terrible, stereotypical image, and most of it are things we are not. Much advance will be reached, but I think that the SOG will also open the eyes of some people.

Thank you for the class and dignity of the reply. I do think the stadium issue will be addressed to satisfaction in time as it is a rather small issue. I'm also glad that Brazil and Rio are taking the transportation issue seriously as it was something that Atlanta glossed over, to the city's detriment when the SOG were here.

As to stereotypes, this is a prime opportunity to remove them by putting Rio forward as something world class and perhaps a page can be taken from Barcelona's book. They took the opportunity of the SOG coming to town to basically give the city a face lift and perhaps Rio could do much the same in some areas.

Regardless, I do firmly believe that all issues can be addressed if there is respect and good advice shares and who knows, come August 5, 2016, we'll all be invited to an excellent coming out party for Brazil.

Good luck.

Hello, everyone. As carioca, there are some things I can say.

First. Yes, we have tons of things to do. But it is not impossible.. who knows a developing country knows that political inertia is the biggest cause of problems. We know, for decades, how to solve our traffic problems, poverty and even violence. Why do not we? For the same reason that India, Argentina, South Africa . The commitment to the Olympics but can change things, like a child who just does the right thing because he knows he is being watched. We fear that corruption affects the price of the works, as well as Chicago had. But we will have the courage to face. The type of economic news that the games will bring to Rio will create "democratic" jobs in areas that traditionally distribute income, such as tourism. In the long term, this can prevent violence. or us, Olympics are a social investment.

Second. We are a strong economy and (now) stable. We have a growing importance in the political world game. We will not throw it away. Several large private companies (some international) will bet their names on this project, and businessmen are the same anywhere in the world, Rio, Tókio ... even in Antarctica, if they existed.

Third. Much of what you see or say about our people are stereotypical. We are workers, businessmen, teachers, students, artists, merchants, priests, technicians, scientists, drifters and bandits ... We are plural, just like the world. We don´t dance samba all day ... perhaps in the Olympics, we can dance it all the time, and, believe me, you danced with us.

Our application was only one of four. Neither better nor worse, just the chosen one. Of course, geopolitics helped, but also responsibility. And it was not only the bid of Rio, it was the bid of Brazil. A people in need of self-affirmation in a world that is opened to us.

I going to give Rio the benefit of the doubt. The government commitment and funds allocated should give it a headstart.

No, the Swimming Federation cancelled one of the events (not a bid) of the Swimming World Cup because it could not get enough budget to do it. They spent all their money in Rome, which was great, and they could not get more funding to stage this event.

None of the entities which will fund the Rio2016 were committed to guarantee this event, so your statement is completely off. It was like saying that because the Chicago Bears have cancelled their participation in the NFL for ffunding, Chicago could not pay for the SOG.

The IOC's second favourite for hosting the 2016 Games will be always ready to host them if Rio couldn't :P

OK, it was a joke. I think Rio will have no economical problems with the Games. Accomodation and especially security in the city is what makes me feel worried.

Accomodation is already not a problem. There are already contract to Rio reach 47,000 hotel rooms... I'm not worried about it since Rio is the major destination in South America and now with the olympic exposure, will be a attractive place for tourism...

Crime is a concern, but it's concern for Rio's population, and it isn't the hell some media say on TV. There are huge issues to be solved, but the history shows that no mega event held in Rio had problems with security.

A real concern for Rio 2016: bureaucracy... Believe me... This can be a real problem.

give up looser.

I'd be much worried in your subways...

Baron, add Anne Marie to your "blocked" list, and ignore him/her, please. He/she is childish......

It's annoying for the rest of us to have to put up with his/her large fonts and demeaning comments.

Baron, add Anne Marie to your "blocked" list, and ignore him/her, please. He/she is childish......

It's annoying for the rest of us to have to put up with his/her large fonts and demeaning comments.

It's OK, Diana, she doesn't bother me at all. She makes 1 or 2 digs; they don't get unanswered...and then we just move along. Part of the rhythm of life.

Rio will do just fine. The flaws it has are just different from other cities' flaws. What's important is that they have the humility to recognize the need to work on them instead of rush things along, use double talk, and stuff like that.

Rio will do just fine. The flaws it has are just different from other cities' flaws. What's important is that they have the humility to recognize the need to work on them instead of rush things along, use double talk, and stuff like that.

Rio's final presentation showed it so...

Well, with all due respect, the IOC has heard promises before and has gotten burned by it, the best example being Athens nearly losing the SOG when they couldn't stop dragging their feet. And just to be fair, Atlanta promised an well-run SOG and got caught with transportation issues where on the flip side of the coin, Beijing promised to be fairer to its people, then went of out it's way to ban people who didn't agree with their government from even entering the country for 2008.

Now, to be clear, I am NOT saying that's going to happen with Rio. All I'm saying is that some work needs to be done. I'm glad that the people of Brazil and the Rio Olympic Organizing Comittee are taking it seriously, but make sure the words become deeds and actions. Other cities have, to their benefit in the long run, so hopefully it all works out.

You got seven years, really only four since a lot of these changes really should be implemented and tested before the 2014 WC, so don't waste time.

Well, with all due respect, the IOC has heard promises before and has gotten burned by it, the best example being Athens nearly losing the SOG when they couldn't stop dragging their feet. And just to be fair, Atlanta promised an well-run SOG and got caught with transportation issues where on the flip side of the coin, Beijing promised to be fairer to its people, then went of out it's way to ban people who didn't agree with their government from even entering the country for 2008.

Now, to be clear, I am NOT saying that's going to happen with Rio. All I'm saying is that some work needs to be done. I'm glad that the people of Brazil and the Rio Olympic Organizing Comittee are taking it seriously, but make sure the words become deeds and actions. Other cities have, to their benefit in the long run, so hopefully it all works out.

You got seven years, really only four since a lot of these changes really should be implemented and tested before the 2014 WC, so don't waste time.

I hope it too...

Indeed, Rio bid have yesterday stated that RIO 2016 HAVE NOT PROMISED SUBWAY NEW STATIONS IN BARRA!

This is very important. This will be said in the future since Line 1 extension to Barra is in project yet and can be or can not be ready at the time of the games.

Why don't they put a bullet train between the OV and Barra or whichever is that farther cluster? That would solve the problem of long travel for the athletes.

Well, the UFRJ (The Federal University of Rio de Janeiro) has recently developed a new bullet-train system, which is cheap enough to be put into use in urban transit networks. Everything is still really new and blurred, but the government seems to have liked the idea.

Bear in mind that, despite Brazil is a rising economy and Rio a rising city, we won't have Beijing-like games, with all the razzle-dazzle and magnificent venues and structures. I am pretty sure that the govt'd better do a better job in transportation than what they did back in 2007 for the Pan Am Games. I am pretty sure they will, Rio is experiencing a new political situation, when, for the first time in many years, the mayor, the state governor and the president are actual allies, differently from what happened 2 years ago.

Regarding the subway system, the expansion to Barra has not been promised, but the state government is thinking about that anyways. With or without the Olympics, a heavy-capacity system is utmostly needed here.