Ballot Results

And Oprah show airs on Brazil. One would figure that someone would have heard about her. Isn't the most powerful person in the entertainment world or something like that?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I'm really getting tired of reading that because Barack had left before the host city was announced that's what lost it for Chicago. F'n Putin left Guatemala City back in 2007 before the 2014 host city finally emerged, & yet Sochi won nonetheless. So if that's the case, that is complete & utter hypocrisy, to say the least. One leader is no better than the other.

You know, I'm really getting tired of reading that because Barack had left before the host city was announced that's what lost it for Chicago. F'n Putin left Guatemala City back in 2007 before the 2014 host city finally emerged, & yet Sochi won nonetheless. So if that's the case, that is complete & utter hypocrisy, to say the least. One leader is no better than the other.

Mh, that's interesting. Some Americans stated here that Obama would beat Lula, Hatayama and King Juan Carlos just because he was Obama and you know... he's the King of the World.

I didn't buy the Obama factor completely. I thought it was well thought to send him as a semi-surprise and announce it the very last week, but I read somewhere that either Mr. & Mrs. Obama were not very related to IOC and therefore some Chicago bid organizers were aware about the possibles faux-pas while in Copenhagen. I don't believe that the five-hours-issue has had any special weight in the decision, but it became quite embarrassing to see such a hulaballoo regarding to the President trip to Denmark.

Similarly,Tony Blair was already en route back to the UK for a G8 summit by the time of the 2005 Singapore election!

Mh, that's interesting. Some Americans stated here that Obama would beat Lula, Hatayama and King Juan Carlos just because he was Obama and you know... he's the King of the World.

I didn't buy the Obama factor completely. I thought it was well thought to send him as a semi-surprise and announce it the very last week, but I read somewhere that either Mr. & Mrs. Obama were not very related to IOC and therefore some Chicago bid organizers were aware about the possibles faux-pas while in Copenhagen. I don't believe that the five-hours-issue has had any special weight in the decision, but it became quite embarrassing to see such a hulaballoo regarding to the President trip to Denmark.

Well, it's just all part of the Selection Week Circus. Everybody becomes a spinmeister...and either Obama didn't wear the right tie, or King Carlos looks too old and fat now, or Hatayama wore the wrong underwear, etc., etc. And Obama is the new kid on the block who really broke a lot of barriers last November, so everybody's pinning all their hopes on him, or his enemies were of course waiting for him to stumble.

I mean how did we manage withOUT television news and the internet before???

I hope they turn the 2013 Meet in Durban like a Eurovision-type thingie!!

Well, it's just all part of the Selection Week Circus. Everybody becomes a spinmeister...and either Obama didn't wear the right tie, or King Carlos looks too old and fat now, or Hatayama wore the wrong underwear, etc., etc. And Obama is the new kid on the block who really broke a lot of barriers last November, so everybody's pinning all their hopes on him, or his enemies were of course waiting for him to stumble.

I mean how did we manage with television news and the internet before???

I hope they turn the 2013 Meet in Durban like a Eurovision-type thingie!!

I'd love it :D Who will be the host/hostess of the show??

I felt sorry for the Obamas.They spoke well and from the heart (better than anyone else on the Chicago bid team along with Bob Cvrtlik IMO).It must have felt like a real kick in the guts when Chicago then got booted out in the 1st round for their pains no matter what the truth behind the reasons for it! I can certainly sympathise with Anita Defrantz's angry reaction!!

I felt sorry for the Obamas.They spoke well and from the heart (better than anyone else on the Chicago bid team along with Bob Cvrtlik IMO).It must have felt like a real kick in the guts when Chicago then got booted out in the 1st round for their pains no matter what the truth behind the reasons for it! I can certainly sympathise with Anita Defrantz's angry reaction!!

Well... you're probably right but, as a viewer, I couldn't care less about Michelle Obama's father... nor the age of Mr. Samaranch. These are non-Olympic related issues, IMO, and therefore the emotional card played by the Obamas turned weak. The same for Samaranch.

If Madrid failed in having more votes was because the whole Latin vote travelled to Rio this time. Samaranch had no strength, thank God.

Well... you're probably right but, as a viewer, I couldn't care less about Michelle Obama's father... nor the age of Mr. Samaranch. These are non-Olympic related issues, IMO, and therefore the emotional card played by the Obamas turned weak. The same for Samaranch.

I think she was just trying to convey how much Chicago wanted the Games by personalizing her own feelings about it as a native Chicagoan herself.But you're right...the danger is it can come across as cheesy and irrelevent if overplayed.Certainly Samaranch's 'Give me one more Games before I die' pitch was shameless in the extreme!

If Madrid failed in having more votes was because the whole Latin vote travelled to Rio this time. Samaranch had no strength, thank God.

He still had enough influence to get Madrid through to the final round when most people on here were confidently predicting a first round exit.In doing so,he probably helped cause that embarrassing snub to the Obamas!

the danger is it can come across as cheesy and irrelevent if overplayed.Certainly Samaranch's 'Give me one more Games before I die' pitch was shameless in the extreme!

It was at least crazy... By comparision "give Samaranch last games" card vs. "South America never hosted" card, it's easy to predict what IOC would prefer.

Archived