Ballot Results

I think Obama was irrelevant to the process. He wasn't going to be organizing these Olympics. And I'm sure there are many conservatives happy not to have this Olympics bill.

What really killed Chicago was it's citizens rejection.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excuse me. There's no need to mock others' disappointment. I have congratulated you cariocas. I do not doubt you will make Brazil proud. Had you lost, I would not be mocking you. Please show a little more grace in victory.

If I sounded arrogant at any moment, I am deeply sorry. This is absolutely not what I'm here for!

There was a sense of entitlement from Chicago's presentation (my impression) and the IOC members were not swayed by the Obama show.

You are kidding right? As compared to the entitlement presented by Rio? South America has never hosted...we are owed...can't get much more 'entitlement speak' than that.

IMHO better for Madrid to spend the energy and the money for 2024 race, from what I see 2020 will be the race between Africa and N.America... better for Madrid to prepare 2024, 2024 will be the race between the european... and I don't think Paris will absolutely win 2024 because the centennial thing... remember even Athen fail with the centennial thing... so better for Madrid to slow down a little on 2020 let the N.Americas (Monterrey, Toronto, US cities) and Africa (Capetown, any other city ?), and maybe Istanbul to fight on 2020 :)

The only north American country I can see winning the 2020 race is the US. However, the IOC has proved today that continental rotation is not a rule so... who knows? The same I think for Africa.

Anyway, I feel Madrid will be hosting the Olympics soon. I hope I'm not wrong.

What really killed Chicago was it's citizens rejection.

Nah. The IOC just wanted to overcome the criticism that they've only awarded their bigger Games to the same continents (that ALSO get the Winter Games)...so this seemed as good an opportunity as any to break that mold and to make its reputation name the INTERNATIONAL Olympic COmmitee, true and honest. They have a new thinking cap in the IOC.

You are kidding right? As compared to the entitlement presented by Rio? South America has never hosted...we are owed...can't get much more 'entitlement speak' than that.

But the tone for the presentation was really IMHO

You should vote for Chicago because we have OBAMA vs. You should vote for Rio because no Olympics ever in South America

The only north American country I can see winning the 2020 race is the US. However, the IOC has proved today that continental rotation is not a rule so... who knows? The same I think for Africa.

Hey ur Madrid logo Makes me sad! x( specially on the "tengo una corazonada" video at the end it plays a sad chyme and it waves good byeee ..

Sorry, Athan. No, the IOC showed that continental rotation is the rule. 2016 was always perceived for the New World. The question was which one? Now we know the answer.

I agree with you actually. I thought the "Obama's presence will mean IOC will vote for Chicago" buzz for the past weeks was more eye rolling than "South America has never hosted so IOC should vote Rio" mantra.

IOC members didn't like the "5-hour-trip-in-the-last-moment" thing...

Nah. The IOC just wanted to overcome the criticism that they've only awarded their bigger Games to the same continents (that ALSO get the Winter Games)...so this seemed as good an opportunity as any to break that mold and to make its reputation name the INTERNATIONAL Olympic COmmitee, true and honest. They have a new thinking cap in the IOC.

makes sense.. =]

BTW.. Was rio2016 the highest number victory? 66 is alot..

... so better for Madrid to slow down a little on 2020 let the N.Americas (Monterrey, Toronto, US cities) and Africa (Capetown, any other city ?), and maybe Istanbul to fight on 2020 :)

I don't think Toronto has a chance for 2020 after Vancouver hosting in 2012. There's no way the IOC would give Canada it's 4th Olympic Games, and even more so, so close to the Vancouver Games. If the Games do come back to North America it would be the US's Games, after having had 2 consecutive failures. And I suspect that in fact even the IOC is shocked at how poorly Chicago did in the 2016 race and will want to pay back the US, which despite the policies, still holds a lot of financial clout within the IOC. And this is one organization that understands "money talks".

I tend to think that a lot of IOC members felt they could go for any other city except Chicago since they assumed everyone else would vote in favour of Chicago in round 1. Ooops.

Finally, I don't think there would be much tolerance for another Toronto bid (its third) after having seen a solid bid from a similar city (Chicago) go down so quickly in a major crash-and-burn. Toronto is often cited as a smaller version of Chicago.

I don't think Toronto has a chance for 2020 after Vancouver hosting in 2012. There's no way the IOC would give Canada it's 4th Olympic Games, and even more so, so close to the Vancouver Games. If the Games do come back to North America it would be the US's Games, after having had 2 consecutive failures. And I suspect that in fact even the IOC is shocked at how poorly Chicago did in the 2016 race and will want to pay back the US, which despite the politices, still holds a lout of financial clout within the IOC.

I tend to think that a lot of IOC members felt they could go for any other city except Chicago since they assumed everyone else would vote in favour of Chicago. Ooopsss.

Finally, I don't think there would be much tolerance for another Toronto bid (its third) after having seen a solid bid from a similar city (Chicago) go down so quickly in a major crash-and-burn.

ohhh it's Vancouver 2010!! But gotcha ur point

Yup... and the only city on the Europe that I want to host the SOG soon is Madrid... I even support Madrid since 2012 :)... try to submit logo for 2016... but I think Madrid need to take a little slow down on 2020... I don't want to see 3x times try and 3x failed.. not for Madrid.. so take a rest on 2020 race.. and then make the best fight for 2024 and I hope the games will go to Madrid :)

Anyone agree?

I respect Chicago`s bid very much. And they were great. But one mistake, IMO, was Obama SHOWING UP. If he stayed there for the three days as the other presidents did it would mean something. But he arrived ON TIME of the presentation and left BEFORE the announcement was made. IMO that may lead the IOC members to think Obama was thinking `ok I`ll show up, just because all of the other presidents will be there too`. If everything going on in the US was more important to him that the voting, he should have stayed there and did not give this impression of `second choice`...

I didnt hvae this impression, I understand that Obama was doing his best to fit everything to his scheadule, but don`t you think many IOC members think that way?

Sorry, Athan. No, the IOC showed that continental rotation is the rule. 2016 was always perceived for the New World. The question was which one? Now we know the answer.

Yes, the new world has won, but Madrid made it to the final and eventually won the first round. So I'd like to think that continental rotation is not as important as we all thought.

Excuse me. There's no need to mock others' disappointment. I have congratulated you cariocas. I do not doubt you will make Brazil proud. Had you lost, I would not be mocking you. Please show a little more grace in victory.

Please forgive us for some of the adrenalin driven ones. Youve been one of the greatest members here, and I congratulate you after reading lots of your posts. You , being an US american, were one of the very few HERE that didnt look at Rio with prejudiced eyes and I applaud you for that. But remember that many of us Brazilians heard a lot of crap from a lot of members until the last minute, so we tend to get a little defensive and that`s why things like the one you are complaining happen. I am sure we`ll get to get along better since this battle is over and well try to show our point in a more balanced way. Chicago and well as Madrid were GREAT IMO, and if Rio didn`t win, I`d be happy to be here with you the same way I am here now, because everybody deserved it in this race. (well not Tokyo, IMO)

Yup... and the only city on the Europe that I want to host the SOG soon is Madrid... I even support Madrid since 2012 :)... try to submit logo for 2016... but I think Madrid need to take a little slow down on 2020... I don't want to see 3x times try and 3x failed.. not for Madrid.. so take a rest on 2020 race.. and then make the best fight for 2024 and I hope the games will go to Madrid :)

Do you really think 2020 won't be in Europe? If I were responsible for a new Madrid bid, I wouldn't know exactly when to bid (2020 or 2024)...

Do you really think 2020 won't be in Europe? If I were responsible for a new Madrid bid, I wouldn't know exactly when to bid (2020 or 2024)...

I don't know... but yup... IMHO.. 2020 is not in Europe... but who I am ? can say something like that :)... 2020 for me will be one of the best race ever...N.America cities (Monterrey, any US city...), a lot great Europe cities (Paris, Rome/Milan, Berlin/Munich, Madrid?, Prague?), Asians (Busan?, any Japan city, New Delhi, Kuala Lumpur), Australian (Melbourne), and even Africa (Capetown ?), but IMHO.. the race will be N.America, Africa, and Australia... but tonight we learned everything can happen :)

Yes, the new world has won, but Madrid made it to the final and eventually won the first round. So I'd like to think that continental rotation is not as important as we all thought.

Well, only one European city bidding with half of the IOC voting from Europe shows that it had optimal conditions for continental support. Surely Samaranch helped along with a great presentation and safer plan.

I respect Chicago`s bid very much. And they were great. But one mistake, IMO, was Obama SHOWING UP. If he stayed there for the three days as the other presidents did it would mean something. But he arrived ON TIME of the presentation and left BEFORE the announcement was made. IMO that may lead the IOC members to think Obama was thinking `ok I`ll show up, just because all of the other presidents will be there too`. If everything going on in the US was more important to him that the voting, he should have stayed there and did not give this impression of `second choice`...

I didnt hvae this impression, I understand that Obama was doing his best to fit everything to his scheadule, but don`t you think many IOC members think that way?

The USOC's frosty relationship with the IOC is what played a bigger factor than the President not showing. The Aruban IOC representative understood if Obama doesn't show up. He has his plates full as well. His duty first and formost is to the American people. Having affordable healthcare is very important. That's his priority. Chicago was fortunate to have been able to have him there in the first place.

Archived