Ballot Results

Congrats to Rio. I was hoping it would go that way. Guess that puts a nail in the coffin for any Buenos Aires bids for the next 20 years.

The whole Obama thing is odd. As an American I'm happy to see he was there, but he should have been there for a longer time and the speeches were odd, especially Michelle Obama's telling us about her Dad and how he raised her.

I hope we will be able to hear the final vote breakdown, by delegate, sometime. Would be interesting to see who went which way.

As for 2020? I'll expect Cape Town and Rabat. What would be interesting is Rabat's proximity to sourthern Europe, and how many votes that could sway should they have a halfway decent proposal. I'd bet on seeing Dubai and Istanbul back in the ring. Though they don't fall into the "African Olympics plan" they fall into the new territory plan easily, especially Dubai which is constantly building new stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they built a chain of islands in the shape of the olympic rings in their proposal :-)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hope we will be able to hear the final vote breakdown, by delegate, sometime. Would be interesting to see who went which way.

Nope, we'll never see that, it's a secret ballot.

But welcome to the forums. We've got too many Robs here now! :)

Thanks for the welcome, but to be truthful, I was a member as far back as 98! I was active, but became less so after San Francisco's bid went down in flames. Somewhere along the way I wasn't so my membership was deleted. :-)

Someone suggested Casablanca or Rabat. I'm just going by what I've read on Wikipedia, which is sometimes not accurate.

It's a bummer we won't know the breakdown. Guess that's a response to accusations of vote trading in the past.

Nope, we'll never see that, it's a secret ballot.

But welcome to the forums. We've got too many Robs here now! :)

Having affordable healthcare is very important. That's his priority. Chicago was fortunate to have been able to have him there in the first place.

I think he got his priorities right. Healthcare reforms will have a much greater impact on US than an OG.

If I was the president, I wouldn't even show up...

Wow -- what an election! I would never have expected each of the results.

Rio as new Olympic host city seemed utopian to me after that mostly botched presentation.

Madrid as second, despite the geopolitical malus was also not on my list.

Then Tokyo ranking only third after that apparently surprisingly good presentation and despite the geopolitical bonus in comparison to Madrid.

And finally: Chicago ranking last is the absolute surprise -- and it will probably haunt the Obamas for quite a time, after their personal efforts at this host city election.

No playwright could have conceived a better drama!

All in all, I'm happy that now we won't ever hear again the lamentation that South America never hosted the Olympic Games. ;)

I think that the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Rio de Janeiro will be a great festival for sports, with a passionate audience (passionate in a positive sense -- hopefully not in the negative sense as in 2007, when the audience at the Pan American Games booed for athletes from other nations) and at stunning, unforgettable locations. I'm certain that -- if the organisers avoid severe mistakes and deliver a good job -- the Rio 2016 Games will be one of the best Olympic Games ever.

So: Muitos parabéns, cidade maravilhosa! Congratulations Rio for that historic success!

He had to show up. It would have been perceived as an insult to the IOC if he had not. Showing up was one way of demonstrating that the U.S. really does want to partner with the world -- we do not consider ourselves superior.

True...

He did exactly what he could and should do...

makes sense.. =]

BTW.. Was rio2016 the highest number victory? 66 is alot..

Checking wikipedia...

2014 Sochi 51-34

2012 London 54-50

2010 Vancouver 56 - 53

2008 Beijing 56 - 44 - 22 - 18 - 9

2006 Torino 53 - 36

2004 Athens 66 - 41

Athens did something similar, but with not too big difference...

The thing that is so devastating about this vote is that it screams loud and clear: "We don't want another American Olympics. Go away." It would be one thing if the vote had been closer or if Chicago had made it a little farther. Yes, it would have been disappointing, but it wouldn't have been such an emphatic, blunt rejection. At least we know where we stand. There is no point in bidding again for quite some time.

Chicago Tribune article:

IOC members: Don't blame it on Chicago

October 2, 2009 3:32 PM | No Comments

Don't blame it on Chicago.

That's the take from several members of the International Olympic Committee interviewed after the IOC booted Chicago after the first round of voting.

Several said the quality of Rio de Janeiro's winning bid was better. And at least one IOC member blamed the Olympic movement in the United States.

"I think Chicago had a good bid and good people," said Switzerland's Denis Oswald, a frequent critic of the United States Olympic Committee and a key figure in revenue-sharing battles with the group.

"The kind of instability shown by USOC in recent months has not helped. We had been dealing with some people, and suddenly we heard one has disappeared and one was nearly fired, and you had to start with totally new people. It's also a human relationship. It's always easier to deal with people you know and have full confidence (in)."

He said 10 to 15 IOC members had discussed the revenue-sharing friction with him, as well as plans for an Olympic TV network in the United States that angered the IOC.

"The colleagues who asked me, I said I would like you to forget about this," Oswald said. "We will try to find a solution, and we should judge Chicago based on the quality of its bid. But everyone has a different approach, and I cannot say this has not played a role for a number of people."

So it was a defeat for the USOC?

"That's my impression, yes," Oswald said.

Another IOC member, Canada's Richard Pound, disagreed.

"I don't know that it says anything to them (the United States and the USOC)," Pound said. "When you look at the margin, it was clear there was an effort to make sure Rio got this, and the only meaningful threat to Rio would have been Chicago. So all the friends of Rio were urged to try and make sure Chicago didn't get into that position.

"I think there were a lot of people saying, 'If we don't get it, we'll support you but we've got to stop Chicago.' And that's sport politics, not anything else. It's election management. The Europeans and the Asians are much better at this (in the IOC) than we are. They are better at managing elections and thinking strategically. We kind of think if you've got the best bid, the world will recognize that, and these decisions are made solely on the merits of the bid. Well, not solely."

Still, several IOC members expressed surprise at Chicago's first-round exit.

Said Norway's Gerhard Heiberg: "This was, I can't say a wrong decision, but it was not a right decision."

"Going out in first round, that was just an accident," said Switzerland's Rene Fasel. "I expected to have a different vote in the end. If Chicago is against Rio, it will be much closer."

None were more shocked than IOC member Anita DeFrantz from the United States. "Shock would be a pleasant word," she said.

But just as many people had praise for Rio de Janeiro's bid and the fact that it came from South America, which had never hosted an Olympics.

Here's how Oswald described it: "There was such a strong aspiration to go to new horizons."

"It's an important message to the rest of the world that it's possible to host the Olympic games," added Namibia's Frankie Fredericks.

"They (Rio) had a message," Pound said. "They stayed on it. They managed to divert attention from all the risk areas they had, as did everybody else. You have got to admire the delivery of that result. I'm sure that a lot of the political maneuvering was based on the fact that (President Barack) Obama was probably going to come and was coming, so they said we've got to keep Chicago out of play, or we're all dead.

"Can you imagine if he hadn't come and this result had occurred? I think he did the right thing, and I think he made a lot of friends here, got a lot of respect. It was the time for Rio. It's like when political change comes along. People want change. It was South America's time."

"This was not a vote against any city, this was a vote in favor of Rio de Janeiro," said Thomas Bach of Germany.

But Chicago losing in the first round?

"I also was surprised," he said. "This vote was not against anybody, it was in favor of Rio and universality."

"Good for Rio, very disappointing for Chicago," said Kevin Gosper of Australia. "They deserved better."

-- Philip Hersh

Chicago Tribune article:

IOC members: Don't blame it on Chicago

October 2, 2009 3:32 PM | No Comments

Don't blame it on Chicago.

That's the take from several members of the International Olympic Committee interviewed after the IOC booted Chicago after the first round of voting.

Several said the quality of Rio de Janeiro's winning bid was better. And at least one IOC member blamed the Olympic movement in the United States.

"I think Chicago had a good bid and good people," said Switzerland's Denis Oswald, a frequent critic of the United States Olympic Committee and a key figure in revenue-sharing battles with the group.

"The kind of instability shown by USOC in recent months has not helped. We had been dealing with some people, and suddenly we heard one has disappeared and one was nearly fired, and you had to start with totally new people. It's also a human relationship. It's always easier to deal with people you know and have full confidence (in)."

He said 10 to 15 IOC members had discussed the revenue-sharing friction with him, as well as plans for an Olympic TV network in the United States that angered the IOC.

"The colleagues who asked me, I said I would like you to forget about this," Oswald said. "We will try to find a solution, and we should judge Chicago based on the quality of its bid. But everyone has a different approach, and I cannot say this has not played a role for a number of people."

So it was a defeat for the USOC?

"That's my impression, yes," Oswald said.

Another IOC member, Canada's Richard Pound, disagreed.

"I don't know that it says anything to them (the United States and the USOC)," Pound said. "When you look at the margin, it was clear there was an effort to make sure Rio got this, and the only meaningful threat to Rio would have been Chicago. So all the friends of Rio were urged to try and make sure Chicago didn't get into that position.

"I think there were a lot of people saying, 'If we don't get it, we'll support you but we've got to stop Chicago.' And that's sport politics, not anything else. It's election management. The Europeans and the Asians are much better at this (in the IOC) than we are. They are better at managing elections and thinking strategically. We kind of think if you've got the best bid, the world will recognize that, and these decisions are made solely on the merits of the bid. Well, not solely."

Still, several IOC members expressed surprise at Chicago's first-round exit.

Said Norway's Gerhard Heiberg: "This was, I can't say a wrong decision, but it was not a right decision."

"Going out in first round, that was just an accident," said Switzerland's Rene Fasel. "I expected to have a different vote in the end. If Chicago is against Rio, it will be much closer."

None were more shocked than IOC member Anita DeFrantz from the United States. "Shock would be a pleasant word," she said.

But just as many people had praise for Rio de Janeiro's bid and the fact that it came from South America, which had never hosted an Olympics.

Here's how Oswald described it: "There was such a strong aspiration to go to new horizons."

"It's an important message to the rest of the world that it's possible to host the Olympic games," added Namibia's Frankie Fredericks.

"They (Rio) had a message," Pound said. "They stayed on it. They managed to divert attention from all the risk areas they had, as did everybody else. You have got to admire the delivery of that result. I'm sure that a lot of the political maneuvering was based on the fact that (President Barack) Obama was probably going to come and was coming, so they said we've got to keep Chicago out of play, or we're all dead.

"Can you imagine if he hadn't come and this result had occurred? I think he did the right thing, and I think he made a lot of friends here, got a lot of respect. It was the time for Rio. It's like when political change comes along. People want change. It was South America's time."

"This was not a vote against any city, this was a vote in favor of Rio de Janeiro," said Thomas Bach of Germany.

But Chicago losing in the first round?

"I also was surprised," he said. "This vote was not against anybody, it was in favor of Rio and universality."

"Good for Rio, very disappointing for Chicago," said Kevin Gosper of Australia. "They deserved better."

-- Philip Hersh

That's about accurate. I agree with most of that. It was really time for the new kid on the block. And to be candid, yeah, the US would be having one too many Games too soon. But you'll see...World Cup 2022 and Winter 2022 will probably converge in the U.S.

As a Brazilian, I'd like to thank you all!

Your passion for the games made me look this event in another dimension, and today I truly believe in olympism.

Now, we got lots of work, we know that the Olympic Movement is a World heritage, and we will not let you down, This games are not only ours, brazilians, but from every single person in this planet.

To the Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid supporters, thank you for giving this olympic race your heart and soul.

I guess I can say that the trully brazilian feeling right now is pride and, from now, we'd like to INVITE you all to be in Brazil in 2016 to live your passion at the XXXI Olympic Games Rio de Janeiro 2016.

Thank You

Your passion for the games made me look this event in another dimension, and today I truly believe in olympism.

Now, we got lots of work, we know that the Olympic Movement is a World heritage, and we will not let you down, This games are not only ours, brazilians, but from every single person in this planet.

To the Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid supporters, thank you for giving this olympic race your heart and soul.

I guess I can say that the trully brazilian feeling right now is pride and, from now, we'd like to INVITE you all to be in Brazil in 2016 to live your passion at the XXXI Olympic Games Rio de Janeiro 2016.

Thank You

To rikesb: my heartiest congratulations to you and Rio. Wish the other Brazilian posters here were as civilized as you.

Thank You

Yes, thanks everybody! It was great to take part in this forum... altought many many many here said nasty and awful things about my city.... and, despite all the desbelief people here had on our bid, here we are! It's time to unite and celebrate!

Just one less thing...

CHUPA BARON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHUAAUHUAHUHAUHAAUHUAHAUHUHAHAUAUHAUHAUHA

Excuse me. There's no need to mock others' disappointment. I have congratulated you cariocas. I do not doubt you will make Brazil proud. Had you lost, I would not be mocking you. Please show a little more grace in victory.

Yes, you would be mocking us... but that's ok! Lets unite!

Thank You

Congratulations to Rio

and congratulations to your post, rikebsb - very sportsmanlike!

I was kind of surprised that all of Chicago's votes went to Rio. I thought they would have boosted Madrid or Tokyo after they dropped out in the first round. Rio just have too much support even on that second preference vote of the IOC members.

I was kind of surprised that all of Chicago's votes went to Rio. I thought they would have boosted Madrid or Tokyo after they dropped out in the first round. Rio just have too much support even on that second preference vote of the IOC members.

Continent rotation might explain most of them. By the way, almost all Tokyo votes went to Rio as well.

Archived