Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soaring

Ballot Results

Following are results of the ballots for the 2016 Olympic bid as published by the International Olympic Committee.

Ballot 1: (95 eligible, 94 valid ballots)

Madrid - 28

Rio - 26

Tokyo - 22

Chicago -18

Ballot 2: (97 eligible, 1 abstention, 95 valid ballots)

Rio - 46

Madrid - 29

Tokyo - 20

Ballot 3: (99 eligible, 1 abstention, 98 valid ballots)

Rio - 66

Madrid - 32

Rio de Janeiro elected.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/...1216134739.html

I am shocked that NY 2012 received more votes in the first round over Chicago.

It just amazes me.

This really wasn't a close race once Chicago dropped. Rio could have taken this on the second ballot with two more votes.

Following are results of the ballots for the 2016 Olympic bid as published by the International Olympic Committee.

Ballot 1: (95 eligible, 94 valid ballots)

Madrid - 28

Rio - 26

Tokyo - 22

Chicago -18

Ballot 2: (97 eligible, 1 abstention, 95 valid ballots)

Rio - 46

Madrid - 29

Tokyo - 20

Ballot 3: (99 eligible, 1 abstention, 98 valid ballots)

Rio - 66

Madrid - 32

Rio de Janeiro elected.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/...1216134739.html

Most interesting. Means Rio picked up all the Chicago votes, plus two from Tokyo for ballot two, then took all the Tokyo votes for ballot three. Rio was very clearly choice #2 for a lot of IOC voters.

That abstentia in rounds 2 and 3 is also interesting. Wonder what was up there.

It's apparently obvious that the IOC is trying to send a message to the United States. "We feel we don't need you anymore" kinda attitude. This is a HUGE slap in the face for Obama, too.

We can all give it up to Carlos nuzman and his sympathy, he was the one who made sure peoples second choice was rio. Nd it worked perfectly.

Madrid made it to win the first round of voting, it's incredible!

Do you think it should bid for the next Games and fight against all the other major European capitals?

I would guess that the abstention came from a U.S. IOC member...

Yes, Madrid made history. The first European city to win the first round that did not win the final round.

I would guess that the abstention came from a U.S. IOC member...

Must have been one P.O.ed American to just say "forget you" for the rest of the voting. Interesting, given that one abstentia, plus one might have done it for Rio in round two.

Almost my prediction about Rio winning in second ballot was real...

And people called me here crazy

Almost my prediction about Rio winning in second ballot was real...

And people called me here crazy

Never would have said crazy, but the only way I saw a Rio bid winning in round two was if Madrid went out first. Then again, the minute Chicago was done, I thought Rio would take it in round two. I was wrong, but I did post to that effect in the Voting thread.

I think the abstention must have been a U.S. IOC member -- either Easton or DeFrantz. Also, did you notice that there was one member who did not vote at all until the third round -- no abstention, no nothing. Odd.

I am just floored that Chicago couldn't muster more than 18 votes. This doesn't make sense to me. I know there are various relational issues in play, but the bid was very solid. I didn't think Chicago would win, but I didn't think it would go first. It feels like a slap in the face and it stings.

Poor Obama. The implications for him will not be pleasant. I suspect you will never see another U.S. President attend an IOC vote.

People were calling a very tight race but way too loooose hahah. Wonder if Obama didn't attend Chicago would get more votes? Maybe all the expectation for the celebrity's arrival was way more than what Chicago could provide, and it became Obama Obama Obama and less chicagoooo

People were calling a very tight race but way too loooose hahah. Wonder if Obama didn't attend Chicago would get more votes? Maybe all the expectation for the celebrity's arrival was way more than what Chicago could provide, and it became Obama Obama Obama and less chicagoooo

Anyone agree?

Rio made an excellent job being the "second option" of many voters. It allowed us to show steady growth round after round. The city managed to attract pretty much every vote previously given to an eliminated city, while Madrid and Tokyo, and later, Madrid, seemed to just remain with the same.

Amazing that the city could have cut the story short on the second round! Anyway, Rio de Janeiro had a nice victory. There was some fear that the IOC members would be somewhat afraid of the possibility of the city hosting the games, but it seems that they have supported our bid extensively!

Excuse me. There's no need to mock others' disappointment. I have congratulated you cariocas. I do not doubt you will make Brazil proud. Had you lost, I would not be mocking you. Please show a little more grace in victory.

Madrid made it to win the first round of voting, it's incredible!

Do you think it should bid for the next Games and fight against all the other major European capitals?

IMHO better for Madrid to spend the energy and the money for 2024 race, from what I see 2020 will be the race between Africa and N.America... better for Madrid to prepare 2024, 2024 will be the race between the european... and I don't think Paris will absolutely win 2024 because the centennial thing... remember even Athen fail with the centennial thing... so better for Madrid to slow down a little on 2020 let the N.Americas (Monterrey, Toronto, US cities) and Africa (Capetown, any other city ?), and maybe Istanbul to fight on 2020 :)

But right now Obama IS Chicago. At least internationally. Chicago had nothing better to be recognized by.

I think the abstention must have been a U.S. IOC member -- either Easton or DeFrantz. Also, did you notice that there was one member who did not vote at all until the third round -- no abstention, no nothing. Odd.

I am just floored that Chicago couldn't muster more than 18 votes. This doesn't make sense to me. I know there are various relational issues in play, but the bid was very solid. I didn't think Chicago would win, but I didn't think it would go first. It feels like a slap in the face and it stings.

Poor Obama. The implications for him will not be pleasant. I suspect you will never see another U.S. President attend an IOC vote.

I can't help but think the IOC rejected Chicago so dramatically in order to reject the Obama show. There was a sense of entitlement from Chicago's presentation (my impression) and the IOC members were not swayed by the Obama show.

I'm glad for Madrid - I'm glad the most technically gifted bid got a chance to be honoured by getting to the final.

Maybe some IOC members found the uncertainty of Obama's presence in Copenhagen actually upsetting, and turned out to be bad to the president's image and the bid. You see, everyone's leaders were there right from the begging. Of course Barack is facing some nasty problems in the USA, but was there a doubt that one of the most popular presidents worldwide would just not show up?

But right now Obama IS Chicago. At least internationally. Chicago had nothing better to be recognized by.

their presentation sounded too ecentric, not the World Olympics like it's suposto be.

I think Obama was irrelevant to the process. He wasn't going to be organizing these Olympics. And I'm sure there are many conservatives happy not to have this Olympics bill.

I can't help but think the IOC rejected Chicago so dramatically in order to reject the Obama show. There was a sense of entitlement from Chicago's presentation (my impression) and the IOC members were not swayed by the Obama show.

I'm glad for Madrid - I'm glad the most technically gifted bid got a chance to be honoured by getting to the final.

I agree with you actually. I thought the "Obama's presence will mean IOC will vote for Chicago" buzz for the past weeks was more eye rolling than "South America has never hosted so IOC should vote Rio" mantra.