A1 Grand Prix

A1 Grand Prix

A1 Grand Prix is the first opportunity in any area of motorsport for nations to compete on a level playing field. It is a series where technology and innovation are deliberately equalised and performance is determined by human bravery, skill and excellence. Team and driver combine to create their advantage and the winning nation raises its flag in celebration.

A1 Grand Prix is more than just another motorsport phenomenon; it's an entirely new sport - The World Cup of Motorsport. Pitting driver against driver and country against country for the first time in history, A1 Grand Prix will bring together 25 nations representing 80 per cent of the world's population to actively compete on a level playing field.

Looks good doesn't it?!

Never mind the USA, with NASCAR, Indy, and other kinds of races of this kind. Of course, with that F1 race in the USA mired in controversy, I wouldn't be surprised about the ascension of A1 by them.
  • 1 month later...

AUSTRIA, ITALY AND JAPAN JOIN A1 GRAND PRIX TO COMPLETE THE SEASON’S LINE-UP

The addition of the three new teams means that 25 A1 race cars representing Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, Switzerland and the USA will be seen on track for the first time.

dmk0501se01Large.jpg

The first season of the A1 Grand Prix single seater racing series, which is being marketed as the World Cup of Motorsport, gets underway at the UK’s Brands Hatch circuit this weekend.

The series founded by Sheik Maktoum Hasher Maktoum, features national teams and allows different drivers to race on behalf of a country during the championship. A1GP is significant for the UK motorsport industry in that the fixed specication cars taking part are designed and built by the Huntindgon based company Lola Cars International and are powered by engines designed and built by the Derby based company Zytek Engineering.

Asked by the UK’s BBC Radio 4 whether the A1GP series could rival Formula One Maktoum said, "I don't think so. They are two completely different concepts. F1's driven by technology, innovation, manufacturers. A1 is effectively the World Cup of motorsport.

"In a World Cup or for example the Olympics, you can't have one javelin heavier than the other. To find out which driver and which country are the best drivers on the planet you have to have the same platform, and that's what we have provided.

"We have ordered 50 A1 racing cars. They are very, very powerful and they don't have sophisticated electronics, but they're all equal."

A crowd of more than 80,000 spectators is anticipated for this weekend’s opening event of the new 12 round series that will be contested between now and April 2006.

Am really looking forward to this. I ditched F1 many years back when it started to get too unfair for me. This looks more competitive and exciting for the spectator. Bernie Ecclestone must be crapping himself.
Am really looking forward to this. I ditched F1 many years back when it started to get too unfair for me. This looks more competitive and exciting for the spectator. Bernie Ecclestone must be crapping himself.

He's really mute on the subject so far that I know. However, I bet he's trying to do anything to make F1 crush this "upstart."

He's really mute on the subject so far that I know. However, I bet he's trying to do anything to make F1 crush this "upstart."

:( Oh yeah and it's getting petty, he's trying to have the term - Grand Prix - copywrited for the F1.

Considering the absolute farce that happened at the US F1 Grand Prix this year, The A1 HAS EVERYTHING to gain!!

:( Oh yeah and it's getting petty, he's trying to have the term - Grand Prix - copywrited for the F1.

Considering the absolute farce that happened at the US F1 Grand Prix this year, The A1 HAS EVERYTHING to gain!!

A bigger farce to some is that the US Grand Prix WILL be in next's year racing calendar.

:) Up against the Indy Car Series, NASCAR, but not so much the F1 - A1 will have to work really hard so to achieve prime racing coverage on the US' massive cable sports networks.

I'm sure that the A1 will do well through out the world but it needs to crack the American market as quickly as possible.

:) Up against the Indy Car Series, NASCAR, but not so much the F1 - A1 will have to work really hard so to achieve prime racing coverage on the US' massive cable sports networks.

I'm sure that the A1 will do well through out the world but it needs to crack the American market as quickly as possible.

I guess it will be a wait-and-see game here.

• 2 weeks later...

:) The feature race of the Berlin leg of the A1 GP

1st France

2nd Great Britain

3rd Canada

Originally a 36 lap race, reduced to 35 after New Zealand and Italy stalled at the start of the run thruogh lap.

A smallish croud for Germany as the F1 was racing at the same time, still early positive days for this new motoring adventure.

I too used to watch F1 with my Dad as it was reall the only sport he really cared about...  (he does take a small interest in cricket but not that much - he thinks I'm nuts by the way about my passions for sport).  Perhaps people like my dad would pay more attention if F1 was a) more competitive and B) more fair...

oh an c) nothing to do with Ecclestone.,

I am adopted and whilst that is not a problem for me, when I was still following F1, I found a letter to my parents from the society that organised my adoption that gave me a lot o information about my mother (inciuding the name and everything), but only a little information about my father.  I was so annoyed at Ecclestone at the time I started having terrible nightmares about him being my father.  I still have the sweats at night!  By the way, I now he can't be now, but I still nwant to pun ch his lights out and am ashamed that he is a Brit...

:) BethnalGreen...

All you have to do is Support the A1 Grand Prix and the rest will take care of its'self.

Don't feel ashamed that your a Brit!

:) The A1 organisers must include Canada sometime soon!!!

For that very reaso that Canuck mentioned - coverage!

Remember it's still early days yet....

Archived