The Winnnes Is... Riooo!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, well, what do we have here.

The IOC's vote to award Rio the right to stage the 2016 Olympic games should send a huge message to those bidding cities who rely on arrogance and greed to push themselves into the spotlight. Madrid was a pleasant surprise, Tokyo was an awful surprise, Rio (YAY!) conformed to expectations, and most certainly did Chicago.

Over and over and over again, since the bidding for these games began, the variables were clearly presented on the forums of Gamesbids as to why Chicago was not going to host the 2016 Olympic Games. For those who were not familiar with the stated factors, here they are:

The Fatigue Variable :- The IOC's International Representatives and the entire WORLD I might add, were exhausted to see the games return to the US over and over and over and over again. In the end, like it or not, monotony grows distasteful!

The Global Financial Crisis Variable:- The fact remains that The US is responsible, to a staggeringly significant degree, for the current global economic crisis. Additionally, the "greed" behind Chicago's bid to have the US host the games again most certainly did not set the correct tone to those who were intimately involved in the selection/voting process.

The US Doping Variable:- The undeniable fact remains that everyone is aware of the complete disregard for the ideals of clean participation in sport over the last decade by U.S athletes. Most notably, those in Track and Field. The IOC had to insist that a strong message be sent.

The Salt Lake City Scandal Variable:- which tarnished the Chicago bid and again, was a grotesque compromise of the ideals of the IOC formal bidding process.

The Arrogance Variable:- which was heightened by the over-reliance on the US President Barak Obama. Chicago made the fatal error of using Presedent Obama to gloss over the obvious fissures in their Bid proposal to the IOC, hoping that his universally respected charm and elegance would persuade the voting delegates to hand the games to the US. It was, in every regard, an insulting move against every IOC delegate, and the intelligence each possesses.

The GamesBids Variable:- Believe it or not, every member on Gamesbids in not JUST a fan. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, when it all comes down to the pith of the whole situation, some members of Gamesbids hold the power in their hands and minds.

I would like, most graciously at this time to thank Rio for an exceptionally stunning bid and to formally congratulate them on bringing the games to South America for the first time. I would also at this time want to suggest that this victory is perhaps the loudest, most unmistakable indirect message to the Canadian City of Toronto to commence working towards an Olympic future. Be assertive not arrogant, be meticulous not dismissive, be determined and your efforts shall not fail. This should most ceratinly apply to Toronto in its bid to stage the 2015 Pan American Games. Scutinize carefully who you choose, if you so choose, to lead your bid. See you in

Vancouver 2010

London 2012

and

Rio 2016!!!!!!!!!!

that pic is famous in all the world, especially in south america.

and the famous Nacholympic of youtube, what a surprise seeing you here.

Oh Michelle is looking so hot after she got some tanning and a Brazilian wax! :) that's y they left Copeh. So early, they went to celebrate in Rio quickly b4 returning the US. Guess it was too obvious, we can see the excitement on his face :lol:

Congratulations to Rio de Janeiro! Well-played bid. I was rooting for a Madrid upset in the final round, but I knew Rio had it in the bag after Chicago was eliminated first.

I have decided to scrap my London 2012 travel plans and make Rio 2016 the first Olympics I will attend. :)

If all goes well in the next seven years, the Games will be spectacular, I think. So if any of the Brazilian members here are planning to offer their houses as a cheaper (or free!) lodging option in 2016, put me on the reservation list! :P

PS: I apologise for the late response as I am still having trouble dealing with our busted internet connection due to the typhoon. I don't even have cable television yet. I had to call my friend and ask her to put the telephone receiver right in front of the TV for me to hear the live announcement of the winner -- at 12am-ish local time!

The Global Financial Crisis Variable:- The fact remains that The US is responsible, to a staggeringly significant degree, for the current global economic crisis.

You know, the USA can't be reponsible for everything tbad that happens in the world. Is the USA responsible for the tsunami that hit Samoa last week to? How about the Air France crash back in June? I understand that the USA is in a financial mess, no doubt about it, but why should other countries blame the USA for their financial woes because they decided to make themselves dependent on USA foreign products/services?

You know, the USA can't be reponsible for everything tbad that happens in the world. Is the USA responsible for the tsunami that hit Samoa last week to? How about the Air France crash back in June? I understand that the USA is in a financial mess, no doubt about it, but why should other countries blame the USA for their financial woes because they decided to make themselves dependent on USA foreign products/services?

I kinda thought that may come back to bite Chicago in the butt. And I think their (the IOC's) resentments might be legit. The financial tsunamie started with US financial institutions. Why didn't we have enough safeguards in place to head off the near-disastrous chain of events? (Of course, the unit in AIG responsible for their careless actions was the London office; nevertheless, it is a US company.)

Congratulations to Rio de Janeiro! Well-played bid. I was rooting for a Madrid upset in the final round, but I knew Rio had it in the bag after Chicago was eliminated first.

I have decided to scrap my London 2012 travel plans and make Rio 2016 the first Olympics I will attend. :)

If all goes well in the next seven years, the Games will be spectacular, I think. So if any of the Brazilian members here are planning to offer their houses as a cheaper (or free!) lodging option in 2016, put me on the reservation list! :P

PS: I apologise for the late response as I am still having trouble dealing with our busted internet connection due to the typhoon. I don't even have cable television yet. I had to call my friend and ask her to put the telephone receiver right in front of the TV for me to hear the live announcement of the winner -- at 12am-ish local time!

Welcome to Brazil! Hope to see you here!

Wait for 2016! Until there, the world will be not in crisis and it will easier to save money (my comment is based on nothing!!! LOL)

Is the USA responsible for the tsunami that hit Samoa last week to? No. That's Mother Earth.

How about the Air France crash back in June? No. That's Airbus.

I understand that the USA is in a financial mess, no doubt about it, but why should other countries blame the USA for their financial woes because they decided to make themselves dependent on USA foreign products/services? Yes. Mainly because no one became dependent on US products and services, but they became dependent of selling services to the US. It's totally off-topic, but if you want to get into it, it is not difficult to explain how direct US actions have led the world to the current situation.

By the way, I think there is another reason which has not been mentioned. The current financial crisis accelerated a process which was already in movement. The rise of the emerging economies to high positions in the GDP world rankings is going to be faster, so the IOC is also looking at the future when going to those countries.

True enough...

By now, Brazil become IOC 3rd biggest market on Television rights... And Brazil is still growing... Many people will enter middle class in the next 7 years... It's a huge market IOC probably wants to explore in the future.

Is the USA responsible for the tsunami that hit Samoa last week to? No. That's Mother Earth.

How about the Air France crash back in June? No. That's Airbus.

I understand that the USA is in a financial mess, no doubt about it, but why should other countries blame the USA for their financial woes because they decided to make themselves dependent on USA foreign products/services? Yes. Mainly because no one became dependent on US products and services, but they became dependent of selling services to the US. It's totally off-topic, but if you want to get into it, it is not difficult to explain how direct US actions have led the world to the current situation.

By the way, I think there is another reason which has not been mentioned. The current financial crisis accelerated a process which was already in movement. The rise of the emerging economies to high positions in the GDP world rankings is going to be faster, so the IOC is also looking at the future when going to those countries.

Well thank you for having enough common sense to not blame the USA for every single thing unlike some people on here. As for the financial woes, we can just agree to disagree because as you mentioned that is totally off topic and has nothing to do with Rio or Brazil.

Archived