2014- Brazil (South America)

2018- England (Europe)

2022- Australia (Asia, in football)

2026- Africa again? Egypt? Morocco?

2030- Uruguay (Centennial)

2034- Spain

2038- China

2042- USA

2042 before the WorldCup comme back to Concacaf :blink: ? That would make 52 years! We should host before Asia.

Anyway, on Canadian football, Japan had as much experiance on the world scene as Canada have now before hosting there world cup. And anyway, our yought team is geting along relly well, after all we did get to the quarter final from U-20 FIFA world championchip in 2003.

2014- China (Brazilian Government may decide not to bid, due to lack of infrastructure and transportation. Therefore, bids may come from Australia, China, Mexico, Canada and USA.)

2018- England, with group matches in Wales and Scotland (12 years after Germany, the tournament would have to return to Europe. Spain, Portugal, Belgium/Netherlands, England have all expressed interest in hosting the WC soon)

2022- Australia (The Australians could promote that the WC would be hosted in the S.E Asia/Pacific region for the first time by visiting Aus. Other prominent bids may come from Canada, Mexico, Egypt, Morocco and USA. FIFA surely wouldn't send the event back to US, especially as football is not a dominate sport there. FIFA would be more interested in sending the event to new countries rather then seeing Mexico host a third time. Morocco's close proximity to Euro may affect their bid due to 2018. Plus both Aus and Can have stronger economies, larger stadiums, better overall infrastructure and more adequate transportation systems. I think Aus would be a better host due to the sporting culture of the nation, larger venues, recent on-field success, new region and growing football popularity.)

2026- Morocco (bids from Canada, Mexico, Spain, Turkey. Canada would place well, though i doubt FIFA would send the event to a developing football nation again.)

2030- Spain (12 years since England. Portugal, Italy, Russia, Turkey, Belgium/Netherlands may post bids.)

2034- Canada or Mexico or USA or Brazil or Argentina or Columbia.

2014- China (Brazilian Government may decide not to bid, due to lack of infrastructure and transportation. Therefore, bids may come from Australia, China, Mexico, Canada and USA.)

2018- England, with group matches in Wales and Scotland (12 years after Germany, the tournament would have to return to Europe. Spain, Portugal, Belgium/Netherlands, England have all expressed interest in hosting the WC soon)

2022- Australia (The Australians could promote that the WC would be hosted in the S.E Asia/Pacific region for the first time by visiting Aus. Other prominent bids may come from Canada, Mexico, Egypt, Morocco and USA. FIFA surely wouldn't send the event back to US, especially as football is not a dominate sport there. FIFA would be more interested in sending the event to new countries rather then seeing Mexico host a third time. Morocco's close proximity to Euro may affect their bid due to 2018. Plus both Aus and Can have stronger economies, larger stadiums, better overall infrastructure and more adequate transportation systems. I think Aus would be a better host due to the sporting culture of the nation, larger venues, recent on-field success, new region and growing football popularity.)

2026- Morocco (bids from Canada, Mexico, Spain, Turkey. Canada would place well, though i doubt FIFA would send the event to a developing football nation again.)

2030- Spain (12 years since England. Portugal, Italy, Russia, Turkey, Belgium/Netherlands may post bids.)

2034- Canada or Mexico or USA or Brazil or Argentina or Columbia.

I sounds well, except in China hosting in 2014...

Paul Sheehan is still pushing the joint-Asia bid bandwagon. From today's SMH:

The potential rewards are enormous. The 2006 World Cup has been a brilliant watershed for host Germany. While Brazil has been nominated as host of the 2014 World Cup, its infrastructure and preparations are substandard and it may lose the bid. At the same time, Indonesia and Malaysia are upgrading 100,000-seat stadiums to host the 2007 Asian Cup.

The planets have aligned for a joint bid from Asia to co-host the 2014 World Cup, led by Australia, with Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore as co-host cities, a bid representing a combined 288 million people. If that fails, then bid for the 2018 World Cup. In the past month the planets have aligned in favour of bold diplomacy.

The trouble is, this columnist, for non Aussies and even non-Sydneysiders, is not a sports columnist _ he's a politiocal commentator. I doubt he has much knopwledge of the whole world sports events bidding process.

Emmm...

A Japan/China/India/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Iran would be better <_<

Or a complete Asia-Oceania bid. Opening match in Shanghai, group stages matches in Tehran, Baghdad, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Ulan-Bator, New Delhi, Mumbai, Karachi, Dacca... Semifinals in Yokohama and Seoul. Final in Beijing. <_<

Fifa denies SA may lose 2010 World Cup

Jermaine Craig

July 03 2006 at 07:15AM

Fifa has "absolutely, categorically" denied that it has a contingency plan to move the 2010 Soccer World Cup to Australia if South Africa is unable to host the event.

An Afrikaans Sunday newspaper reported that South Africa's chances of hosting the World Cup were getting slimmer by the day and that there were "whispers in the corridors of soccer power" that the event could be moved from the country.

"That's absolutely untrue, 100 percent. There's no contingency plan at all. Someone's made that up," the head of Fifa's South African office, Michael Palmer, told The Star on Sunday.

"The president of Fifa, Sepp Blatter, has spent years ensuring the event goes to Africa, Fifa has an office and employees in South Africa and there have been over 60 South Africans on Fifa observer programmes at Germany 2006. Only to then take the event somewhere else?

'It just genuinely is not true'

"We absolutely, categorically deny it, we won't even discuss it. It just genuinely is not true," said Palmer.

Citing a "third world" public transport system, a renewed wave of crime, HIV and a shortage of accommodation, the weekend report said Fifa officials were working on an "emergency" plan to take the event to Australia.

South Africa 2010 World Cup chief executive officer Danny Jordaan declined to comment on the report, but Palmer, an Australian, said Fifa is "more committed than ever to making a success of the World Cup in South Africa".

"There's no contingency plan at all. It's going to be in South Africa and that's the end of it," he said.

The report also said there would be a shortage of accommodation for 120 000 people in 2010.

'It's a mega event'

Adam Brown, a representative of Match Services, a company mandated by Fifa to do the operational running of the accommodation, ticketing and information technology solutions until the 2014 World Cup, said the figure of 120 000 beds short was not taking into account the nature of a World Cup event.

"It's a mega event. We're not saying its simple and that there aren't any complications, but saying you're 120 000 beds short is nonsense.

"It's not taking into account the nature of the event," said Brown, who has been based in South Africa for a year.

"You need to take into account the movement of people within the country and at different stages of the World Cup. That's a managerial excuse and the process is to take a historical point of view.

"You can look at what happened in Germany. There are dips between matches, with people coming in from the United Kingdom, Holland or France, staying for a day or two and returning home.

"That won't happen in South Africa - people won't travel from Europe and South America for one day."

Brown said that in terms of the South African situation, the US World Cup 1994 gave a much better insight, in terms of distance between cities and length of time people stayed in different places.

"The people involved with Fifa in 1994 are still with Fifa and have a very strong understanding of the various trends within accommodation for a World Cup country.

"We know the needs, the requirements and expectations.

"We know what the situation has been in Germany and will analyse that and say what is needed to raise the bar in South Africa.

"That's what the president of Fifa, Sepp Blatter, said in Germany - that every World Cup must raise the bar," said Brown.

No surprise that FIFA are absolutely committed to South Africa for 2010 _ after all the askullduggery and rings and hoops and arm-twisting and manoeuvring that Blatter had to pull to make sure it went there, it would been a major personal blow for him if it was moved.

Australia as the back-up, though? Hmmm. There's no doubt that it is one of the countries that could do it quickly. And Australia does have a good reputation for organising such events. As I said, it's not goping to happen, but it's acertainly a good sign that Australia is in the frame for a hosting within the next few rounds _ I still reckon 2022 is the most likely.

Baron, maybe it's Oz rather than Spain that is emerging as the USA's big rival for a WC hosting? (Well, one of us should host it soon _ it's probably the only way Oz or the USA are ever going to break through the established order and be allowed to progress fairly in a WC tournament).

Well, Blatter's come out in support of an Oz hosting _ but then again, just like Rogge with any potential Olympic bid, he would, wouldn't he?

The Daily Telegraph,

TUE 04 JUL 2006

Blatter: Australia could host 2018 finals

By DAVID BENIUK

FIFA president Sepp Blatter believes Australia's move into Asia could spur the region out of its World Cup slump.

The Socceroos qualified for the finals through Oceania but Australia has since joined the Asian Confederation.

And they were the only Asian side to get beyond the first round of the finals.

Iran, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and Australia's Group F rivals and Asian champions Japan were all eliminated.

Blatter said Asia's performance was a concern.

``The other four Asian teams all kicked out in the first round. It is a big, big difference,'' Blatter told SBS television.

``Four years ago one [south Korea]was a semi-finalist and the other one [Japan] went into the second round so I think there is something to look at.

``Perhaps the arrival of the Socceroos, of Australian football, will bring some new incentive to Asian football.''

Blatter said the Socceroos were unlucky to lose against Italy and backed them to qualify again for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

``They were up to go into extra time, mama mia, how can you lose this [in the] last minute because to play then 11 players against 10 for 30 minutes longer, I think this would have been a chance. I can tell you Australia will be back for the next World Cup.''

He said Australian hopes of hosting the World Cup finals would depend on whether he can win a battle for the event to be rotated through the confederations.

European nations argue the finals should return to that continent every three tournaments, with South Africa and the Americas to be hosts in 2010 and 2014.

``It would be a logical turn that the competition goes back to Asia and Oceania [after that],'' Blatter said.

``If we have to maintain the rotation system then I would say Australia, yes, because they have the ability to organise the World Cup. I'm sure that it would be a very good organiser of the FIFA World Cup.

``Where they could come in as a bidder together with the Asian Football Confederation would be for 2018, but then definitely for 2022.

``The next step will be made in 2008 depending on the presidency of FIFA.

``If I'm still in the chair ... then I will try to make sure that the rotation system goes on.''

Baron, maybe it's Oz rather than Spain that is emerging as the USA's big rival for a WC hosting?

Neither is the USA. Your big rival is England. They didn't host since 1966, they bidded for 2006 and as Africa had to host in 2010 and South America in 2014 they're waiting until 2018. B)

As I said, England will host in 2018, Australia in 2022, China in 2026 and Spain in 2030. :D

Or a complete Asia-Oceania bid. Opening match in Shanghai, group stages matches in Tehran, Baghdad, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Ulan-Bator, New Delhi, Mumbai, Karachi, Dacca... Semifinals in Yokohama and Seoul. Final in Beijing. <_<

You forgot Manila, Macao and Ho Chi Minh City, the 3 most European cities in Asia.

• 2 weeks later...

More plans, speculation:

BRISBANE, July 14 AAP - Queensland Premier Peter Beattie is planning for the state's regional centres to host games if Australia successfully bids for the 2018 World Cup soccer tournament.

State premiers will today lobby Prime Minister John Howard for Australia to bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup at the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting at Canberra.

Mr Beattie said areas outside Brisbane would be considered to host games as they did during the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

``All the states will share in it. Just like the Olympics in Sydney,'' he told ABC Radio.

``Clearly what we will need to use is three grounds - Suncorp (Stadium), the Gabba and the new ground that's being built on the Gold Coast (Robina).

``And we may obviously try and get it into the regions as well. I mean Townsville, Cairns, we'll see.

``From our point of view we are very supportive of it.''

On 2018 World Cup final's venue, Mr Beattie laughed: ``I would love to have the final here (Brisbane).

``Strangely enough there are six premiers and two chief ministers and they all wanted the final - I can't work that one out.''

AAP

It looks like the bid for 2018 is definitely on! The State Premiers and PM Howard all agreed to support it this morning at their COAG meeting. Now it's just up to the FFA to submit the bid to FIFA.

All the cities in Australia should host matches.... there should be at least 10 or 11 stadiums. Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide...

It's only a small news item, but interesting for two points it says.

Australia to make World Cup bid

July 18, 2006

AUSTRALIA will make a bid to hold the World Cup on our shores as soon as 2018, Frank Lowy has revealed.

In an interview to be aired on the ABC's Foreign Correspondent program tonight, the Chairman of Football Federation Australia claims Australia has a reasonable chance of winning the bid.

Speaking to veteran ABC sports reporter Peter Wilkins, Lowy said the head of FIFA, Sepp Blatter, told him that Australia should team up with Asia to bid.

But Lowy says that won't be happening. "I'd like Australia to go on its own," he said. "I think we have a reasonable chance."

Lowy also said he believes Australia has the capacity to be among the top 10 football nations in the world and that he'll definitely appoint an international coach to take over from Guus Hiddink.

Daily Telegraph

Firstly, it confirms a bid will happen _ all the various State, Febederal and territory politicians have backed it, it was only up to the FFA to officially make the bid.

Secondly, there's the mention that Blatter wants Australia to make a joint bid with Asia. Hmmm. I wonder what that means _ a joint bid with China to head off what is likely to be a bid war between the two (like happened with Korea-Japan for 2002)? Or the proposal floated before to co-host with Indonesia and Singapore?

I agree with Lowy. Australia is quite capable of doing it on its own.

It's only a small news item, but interesting for two points it says.

Firstly, it confirms a bid will happen _ all the various State, Febederal and territory politicians have backed it, it was only up to the FFA to officially make the bid.

Secondly, there's the mention that Blatter wants Australia to make a joint bid with Asia. Hmmm. I wonder what that means _ a joint bid with China to head off what is likely to be a bid war between the two (like happened with Korea-Japan for 2002)? Or the proposal floated before to co-host with Indonesia and Singapore?

I agree with Lowy. Australia is quite capable of doing it on its own.

Joint bid with China? Are they crazy? :huh:

Australia should wait until 2022

If Adelaide wants to get in on an Australian bid they will have to build a new stadium.

AMII Stadium, firstly isn’t attractable simply because of its large pitch dimensions and oval shape (though still otherwise a usable ground). Though, a major detriment to the venue is its poor pitch quality. Sure it is suitable for AFL players (likewise Subiaco), but there is a reason why Hindmarsh Stadium was built. The soil quality in the area around AMII Stadium is incredibly low and unsuitable for the needs of the great football players of the world. Having matches at AMII would make for very mundane quick burst running games (which I guess may favour Australia).

Hindmarsh has no redevelopment potential, the site is restricted and to small.

The Adelaide Oval is an option for major development, though it would be disappointing to see all the history thrown away and replaced by classy stands and a nice roof. Its FANTASTIC location however would make it an amazing football and rugby stadium (maybe with retractable seats to make it suitable for cricket).

A new greenfield stadium, similar to that of Telstra Stadium (50,000 seat capacity, with retractable seating) would be needed for Adelaide to take part in the bid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mikel, if another group was added, we would then have either 9 (1 from each group) or 18 (2 from each group) teams going into the final stages. That means the last 3-4 legs of the cup would have an odd number of teams. How does that work?

The Adelaide Oval is an option for major development, though it would be disappointing to see all the history thrown away and replaced by classy stands and a nice roof. Its FANTASTIC location however would make it an amazing football and rugby stadium (maybe with retractable seats to make it suitable for cricket).

A new greenfield stadium, similar to that of Telstra Stadium (50,000 seat capacity, with retractable seating) would be needed for Adelaide to take part in the bid.

Don't even think about redeveloping the Adelaide Oval, one of the most beautiful cricket grounds in the world.

Archived