World Cup 2022-Australia?

Victoria has joined in support now too _ though they are demanding to host the final (typical Melburnians)!

MELBOURNE, June 23 AAP - Victoria has joined the campaign for Australia to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup with one qualification - the finals should be played in Melbourne.

NSW and South Australia have capitalised on Australia's rising enthusiasm for the game and will put a joint submission to the next Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting that Australia bid to host the 2018 event.

NSW Premier Morris Iemma and South Australian Premier Mike Rann held a joint press conference in Sydney today following Australia's excitement-packed 2-2 draw with Croatia that has put the Socceroos into the second round.

In Melbourne, Premier Steve Bracks quickly jumped on the bandwagon, saying he supported the submission and any bid for the event should be a national effort.

But the Victorian premier made it clear the finals should be hosted by his state.

``If there was a World Cup to be held here we would play a significant part because of our major events capacity,'' he told reporters in Melbourne.

``Of course you'd want the major final to be played in Victoria.

``Where else would you play it but on the biggest stadium, in the biggest venue with the most number of people coming to the most number of events?''

Mr Iemma and Mr Rann said 2018 was the first realistic option for Australia to become a host nation, with Africa named 2010 host and South America the leading candidate for 2014.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MCG-(100,000)

Stadium Australia-(90,000) renovated.

New Perth Stadium-(62,000) New venue.

Football Park-(60,000) renovated.

New Sydney Stadium-(58,000) New venue built as replacement to SFS, which will be 34 years old at time of 2022 WC.

Telstra Dome-(52,000)

Suncorp Stadium-(52,000)

New Canberra Stadium-(42,000) New venue.

EnergyAusralia Stadium-(42,000) renovated.

New Townsville Stadium-(40,000) New venue, post WC relagated to 35,000.

York Park-(40,000) renovated, post WC relagated to 32,000.

Robina Stadium-(40,000) renovated.

There's 12 stadiums, the same number used in Germany 2006, spread into 10 cities of Australia.

Yeah, but I believe there must be corresponding 20-25,000 hotel rooms required for the smaller cities. Outside of Sydney, Melb, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth & Brisbane -- are there enough?

Well, Townsville and the Gold Coast are major tourist areas, so no probs there. Newcastle should manage _ industrial itself but also surrounded by a few resort villages.

Oh well, it's only Tasmania. They're used to being forgotten. Plenty of other regional centres (Geelong, Ballarat, Wollongong, NSW Central Coast, Fremantle) that could step in.

after this world cup! Im sure Australia can handle anything especially football!!

Australia shold host a WC before China. The two low point of Australia were lack of football quality and lack of stadiums. Now they've the quality and the stadiums can be planned, so Australia should host in 2022 or 2026 ;)

Interesting proposal in the Sydney Morning Herald today by columnist Paul Sheehan (not someone who I've ever considered had an interest in sports bidding or soccer).

Basically, it was that Australia should go with a joint-bid for 2014 or 2018 to co-host with Singapore and Indonesia!

Hmmm. Not something I've ever considered before, and I can't see that it would help the cause at all. I can't see why Australia would wahnt to _ we're more than capable of hosting the entire tournament ourselves.

yea true!

Ops!

But I think the FIFA won't let the tournament to be hold between 3 countries!

Interesting proposal in the Sydney Morning Herald today by columnist Paul Sheehan (not someone who I've ever considered had an interest in sports bidding or soccer).

Basically, it was that Australia should go with a joint-bid for 2014 or 2018 to co-host with Singapore and Indonesia!

Hmmm. Not something I've ever considered before, and I can't see that it would help the cause at all. I can't see why Australia would wahnt to _ we're more than capable of hosting the entire tournament ourselves.

I agree with him... Australia should bid with Singapore and Indonesia... and Germany should hosted with Liechtenstein and Latvia, South Africa with Namibia and Swaziland... what the hell is thinking???

Singapore? They didn't hosted anything yet and they won't host anything in the next 1,000 years.

Indonesia? Com'on! It isn't even a secure place... if you want some islamic fundamentalist, well, go ahead.

Australia has everything to bid alone... they don't even need NZ...

PD: The best thing is to finish OFC and join all the countries to AFC...

The best thing is to finish OFC and join all the countries to AFC...

They should built a new Asian-Pacific Football Confederation (APFC) with 1 spot more than the ones the AFC has now ;) So we'll be able to see Australia, Saudi Arabia, Japan, South Korea, Iran and probably China or New Zealand.

I agree that now with Australia in the Asian fold, why don't the AFC and the Oceania Football Confederation merge (unless FIFA decides to grant an automatic WC spot for Oceania spot, which will be too late for Australia over the objections from UEFA and CONMEBOL member nations)?

They should built a new Asian-Pacific Football Confederation (APFC) with 1 spot more than the ones the AFC has now ;) So we'll be able to see Australia, Saudi Arabia, Japan, South Korea, Iran and probably China or New Zealand.

i think that is a great idea! It would give new zealand more game time and exposure to international football

I don't think FIFA would ever give a tournament to an Australian-Indonesian-Singaporese joint bid. First of all, 3 countries is just too much. Second at all, Holland and Belgium were told that the FIFA don't want any joint bids anymore. Most importantly, the level of play in Indonesia and Singapore is very low. These countries would never be able to qualify on their own. FIFA prefers a host country that has potential to go far or at least reach the last 16. That's never going to happen with Indonesia or Singapore.

And 32 countries is more than enough. We already see way to many mediocre games in the World Cup already. More teams means less good football.

I tink Australia's chance at hosting the World Cup would had been bether if they would have stayed in the Oceanic zone, becose of the promise of having all conference hosting the World Cup. And after all, China hase 14 (yes, 14) 50 000+ all seaters stadiums that are either Soccer-specific or that are Olympic-style stadiums. And Socers popularity in China is evergrowing, so I belive China will host the WorldCup before Australia.

Anyway, why have nobody mentione Canada?

Stadium whise, we curently have 4 all-seaters with over 40 000 seats (Montreal's Stade Olympique (the biguest all-seater in Canada with 65 000) and Vancouver's B.C. Place (60 000) are inside stadiums, and that may (sadly) be a disadvantage, but both city are tinking of building new stadiums anyway. Toronto's Roger Center (53 000) and Edmonton's Comontwealt Stadium (60 000) are the other 40 000+ all seaters in Canada.

Its only four and FIFA require 10, but both Calgary's McMahon Place (39 000) and Hamilton's Ivor Whynne Stadium (29 000) have alredy been expanded to 40 000+ with temporary seatings.

Also Ottawa, Winniped and Regina could use new stadiums. All those city's could be host to 35 000- 40 000 places stadiums, and if they are under 40 000 places, they could be build to be expandable for specials events. So that makes 9 stadiums. For the mising one, both Quebec City and Halifax could need new stadiums in the near futur. Neither city could hold a 40 000+ all seater stadiums, but temporary seatings could get the stadium there.

Anyway, why have nobody mentione Canada?

Canada has to improve in football...

Australia has improved a lot since 1974! They really deserve to host it, so I'll support them for 2022 or 2026. The problem is they are now in the Asian confederation... and the Asian turn isn't until 2026 I think.

Well, anyway if Canada improves its football it can be the CONCACAF candidate for 2022 (remember, 2018 is European).

(remember, 2018 is European).

:rolleyes: Uhmmm...not quite. If Brazil defaults in 2014, then it would be:

2010 - South Africa (southern hemisphere)

2014 - the USA - (northern hemisphere); then

2018 - Brazil can have it back (southern)

2022 - northern - so that may be Europe's turn again.

2026 - then possibly Australia, so that there is north-south rotation...

2014- Brazil (South America)

2018- England (Europe)

2022- Australia (Asia, in football)

2026- Africa again? Egypt? Morocco?

2030- Uruguay (Centennial)

2034- Spain

2038- China

2042- USA

Archived