World Cup 2022-Australia?

My sources tell me otherwise.  Our boys came home in 1916.  

Perhaps you should ask your sources on early 20th century history why 'Your' boys came home from Europe two years early (?) - the war didn't end until 1918.

:wink:

Then that just proves that the Hispanic Panic Influenza came from your shores!   :P

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a good idea to me. There is a time for USA, but 2018 is not it.

Remains to be seen.  2018 would be the Centennial of the Spanish flu that devastated Europe in 2018.  I think the bug strikes its old hunting grounds every 100 years.

Actually the 1918 Spanish Flu is said to have originated in the US.  The only reason it was called 'Spanish' was because the pandemic received greater press attention in Spain than in the rest of the world, because it was not involved in the war and there was no wartime censorship there.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. The American Flu appeared in the devastated American soldiers of 1916  :suspect:

Spain wasn't in the war and we hadn't any death caused by the 'Spanish Flu'... :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good idea to me. There is a time for USA, but 2018 is not it.

Remains to be seen.  2018 would be the Centennial of the Spanish flu that devastated Europe in 2018.  I think the bug strikes its old hunting grounds every 100 years.

Actually the 1918 Spanish Flu is said to have originated in the US.  The only reason it was called 'Spanish' was because the pandemic received greater press attention in Spain than in the rest of the world, because it was not involved in the war and there was no wartime censorship there.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. The American Flu appeared in the devastated American soldiers of 1916  :suspect:

Spain wasn't in the war and we hadn't any death caused by the 'Spanish Flu'... :rolleyes:

Sorry Mikel, Spain did see tens of thousands of deaths from the 1918 flu pandemic as did most other European countries.... and in North America too.  But at least it wasn't a Spanish disease!

Again in the topic. :glare:

Do u really think Australia will get the 2022 WC? Is Australia prepared? If they build some new amazing stadiums in 4 more cities they can get it, but if China is in the race...

I second that _ physically hosting would be no problem at all. Geopolitics is the only factor in determining when it will happen.

2018- Europe

2022- Other continent. So Australia (if not China) can get this WC.

Again in the topic. :glare:

Do u really think Australia will get the 2022 WC? Is Australia prepared? If they build some new amazing stadiums in 4 more cities they can get it, but if China is in the race...

What do you mean ready? Of course Australia is ready, the question is, does it deserve the Cup?

We more then enough infrastructure in all host cities and by 2022 we will have 4-5 premier rectangular venues that will fit the capacity requirements. Along with at least 3 stadiums with retractable seating (that are currently ovals, though could become soccer stadiums). Along with modern larger stadiums. In terms of readiness, we are there. Spectacular? Well it would require little work and would have its own Australian/Pacific feel. Something from, say, China, would have a completely different feel.

The question is, has Australia reached the point where we are important enough in the soccer/football world that we can be trusted with its biggest event?

Rectangular (2022)

-Aussie Stadium, Sydney

-Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

-Members Equity, Perth

-Energy Australia, Newcastle

-Olympic Park, Melbourne (25,000-30,000 capacity)

-Canberra Stadium, Canberra (likewise)

Retractable Seating (2022)

-Telstra Stadium, Sydney

-Telstra Dome, Melbourne

-Stadium WA, Perth

Oval Seating

-Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne

-GABBA, Brisbane

-AMII Stadium, Adelaide

-Skilled Stadium, Geelong (almost fully developed by 2022)

Townsville? Wollingong? Central Coast? Gold Coast? Hobart? New Zealand?

• 1 month later...

It looks like the plan is now to try for 2018.

Could this endf up being the battle of the English-speaking would be hosts (England V USA V Australia)

SYDNEY, May 18 AAP - Australian soccer is hatching ambitious plans to host the 2011 Asian Cup finals as well as the 2018 or 2022 World Cup finals.

Football Federation Australia chief executive John O'Neill today outlined a strategy of firstly proving to Asia that Australia is capable of staging the region's championships, then using that to show the world what it can do.

The new FFA administration headed by billionaire football lover Frank Lowy has already got the ball rolling by achieving three key targets in short order - getting the Socceroos to the World Cup finals, tying Australia's future into Asia and getting the domestic A-League up and running.

There is no reason to believe it can't come good with its wider goals in a country that has already hosted major events such as Olympic and Commonwealth Games and rugby's world cup.

``We are very ambitious to host major events,'' said O'Neill.

He said the Asian championships rotated in a four-year hosting pattern between central, western and eastern Asia and Australia's ASEAN zone.

The FFA, along with State and Federal governments, could put forward a ``compelling'' case to host the Asian Cup in 2011, he said.

``What we've got to do is establish our credentials so that we can put our hand up to host the World Cup,'' he said.

The earliest that could happen is 2018, he believes.

After this year's tournament in Germany, the 2010 World Cup has been awarded to South Africa, Brazil is a hot favourite for 2014 and there is speculation that London has been promised the next one.

``We would be very keen to give it a crack in 2018, and if that doesn't work to put a stake in the ground for 2022,'' O'Neill said.

``The World Cup has been to America and Asia, and now it's going to Africa.

``The only area of the world that has missed out is the Pacific.''

AAP

Could this endf up being the battle of the English-speaking would be hosts (England V USA V Australia)

I think Oz would be handicapped in 2018 by 2 consecutive southern hemisphere WCs: RSA - 2010; possibly Brazil - 2014.  But if 2014 goes to the US, then Oz would have a fighting chance for 2018.  So, Oz has to back the US to get 2014.

I think Oz would be handicapped in 2018 by 2 consecutive southern hemisphere WCs: RSA - 2010; possibly Brazil - 2014.  But if 2014 goes to the US, then Oz would have a fighting chance for 2018.  So, Oz has to back the US to get 2014.

Okay, it's a deal.

:) All I can say is GO FOR IT AUSTRALIA!!!!!!

2018 maybe a false start but 2022 definitly!!!

Then again knowing Aussie luck '18 isn't unrealistic.  Australia has the very best facilities to offer and can host alone.

John O'Neill seemed VERY bullish about 2018 saying everywher else has hosted and now it's the Pacific's turn.

As a New Zealander I give my support to Australia as John O'Neill removing us from co-hosting RWC03 forced NZ into successfully bidding for RWC2011 as a SOLE host...

GO FOR IT AUSSIES!!!

Up to now, when an Oz WC is mentioned, most of the speculation is that the final would be held in Melbourne. But I wonder if that would be the case now that Sydney has signed up with the Football Federation of Australia to be the major match host for the next four years.

SYDNEY, May 18 AAP - NSW Premier Morris Iemma fired a mischievous broadside at Melbourne today, accusing ``bleak city'' of failing to get the Socceroos through to the World Cup finals as he stitched up a four-year deal bringing eight big Australian matches to Sydney.

``They (Victorians) shouldn't take it too hard,'' Mr Iemma taunted as he announced an agreement to stage two Socceroo matches in NSW each year - starting with Australia's first home Asian Cup qualifier against Kuwait in August and ending with the last World Cup qualifier in 2009.

``Bleak city hasn't been able to get the Socceroos to the World Cup, but when we had the qualifier in Sydney we got there,'' he bragged, recalling the euphoric night last November when the Socceroos beat Uruguay in a penalty shoot-out.

``We want to recapture that many times, and make it not just a one-off,'' he said.

Mr Iemma labelled his state capital a ``lucky'' charm, digging into the history books to note that the only other time Australia reached the World Cup, in 1974, the final home qualifier against South Korea was also staged in Sydney.

He did not need to mention that Melbourne was the scene of the Socceroos' greatest heartbreak in 1997, when they relinquished a two-goal lead and crashed out to Iran at the MCG.

Socceroo fans still feel the pain of it.

But Melburnians will try to make up for that next week by giving the Socceroos a rousing World Cup send-off against Greece at a sold-out MCG.

Mr Iemma stirred the pot by declaring NSW the ``home of the Socceroos'', at least until the 2010 World Cup.

He got support from Football Federation Australia chief executive John O'Neill, who said NSW was the first government to back the game's new administration three years ago.

Mr O'Neill described Sydney and NSW as an ``enormous heartland'' for football with over 300,000 registered players.

``To have two big games a year in NSW is very appropriate,'' he said.

``It's the home of football.''

Other cities including Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide will have the chance to host Socceroo matches, but today's deal gives NSW:

- Asian Cup qualifiers this year against Kuwait in August and Bahrain in October;

- a Powerade Cup match in 2007, hopefully involving a world top-20 team, as well as one other international;

- a preliminary World Cup qualifier in 2008 and a further Powerade Cup match;

- and a Powerade Cup match in 2009 plus the final World Cup qualifier if Australia gets that far in the Asian playoffs.

AAP

:wwww: Do u really think FIFA will go again to the USA after 20 years? Iluso...

England created football and they didn't host since 1966, you have a country with one of the strongest football leagues, or a country that doesn't like football... :rolleyes: It's very easey, isn't it baYoneta? :oops:

What a dumb thought, as usual, from you, mikel.  

1960 - Squaw Valley Games

1980 - Lake Placid Games II

1984 - Los Angeles Games II

1996 - Atlanta Centennial Games

2002 - Salt Lake Games

2016 - maybe Chicago, Philly or SF

Duh?  Need I say more?

2002 - Salt Lake Games

Duh?  Need I say more?

FIFA sin't the IOC... You in the Olympics are very important, you win many medals and you're a superpower in them. But the things change in football... European countries are superpowers here. The best players are playing in European teams, and we also have money, or do you think the only ones with money are the USA?  :sleepy:

PS. DumbO tu abuela campuzana.

2002 - Salt Lake Games

Duh?  Need I say more?

FIFA sin't the IOC... You in the Olympics are very important, you win many medals and you're a superpower in them. But the things change in football... European countries are superpowers here. The best players are playing in European teams, and we also have money, or do you think the only ones with money are the USA?  :sleepy:

Hey Stupido, don't confuse me with RAP.  Ella es otra persona - una puertoriquena.

Yeah, again, u miss the point about WC.  It is WORLD - not regional.  So it has to be distributed.  Didn't you just miss what Blatter said -- if Brazil can't be ready, they may go to North America -- and which would be the only country ready with 9 or 10 stadia in a moment's notice?  The U.S.   So that means, FIFA is certainly considering coming back to the US again -- not Europe since Europe just hosted in '98, and is doing so this year again.

2002 - Salt Lake Games

Duh?  Need I say more?

Hey Stupido, don't confuse me with RAP.  Ella es otra persona - una puertoriquena.

Yeah, again, u miss the point about WC.  It is WORLD - not regional.  So it has to be distributed.  Didn't you just miss what Blatter said -- if Brazil can't be ready, they may go to North America -- and which would be the only country ready with 9 or 10 stadia in a moment's notice?  The U.S.   So that means, FIFA is certainly considering coming back to the US again -- not Europe since Europe just hosted in '98, and is doing so this year again.

Both of you speak Spanish very dadly, both of you say the same wrong insults... so... HELLO RAP! Have you created this account to not be banned? Have you created this account to insult the people, eh, baron/RAP? :rolleyes:

PS. 2014 will be in Brazil or in Brazil, who do you prefer? :oops:

2002 - Salt Lake Games

Duh?  Need I say more?

FIFA sin't the IOC... You in the Olympics are very important, you win many medals and you're a superpower in them. But the things change in football... European countries are superpowers here. The best players are playing in European teams, and we also have money, or do you think the only ones with money are the USA?  

Both of you speak Spanish very dadly, both of you say the same wrong insults... so... HELLO RAP! Have you created this account to not be banned? Have you created this account to insult the people, eh, baron/RAP?

Ola Mikel, mi putita amiga; el Baron y yo, no hablamos el espanol tan "dadly" :laugh:

Somos diferentes personas; yo soy Puertoriquena, y vivo en el Bronx, Nueva York, y mi amigo el Baron creo que vive in el Bay Area.

Los dos nos gusta hoder a un maricon como tu. :angry:

2002 - Salt Lake Games

Duh?  Need I say more?

FIFA sin't the IOC... You in the Olympics are very important, you win many medals and you're a superpower in them. But the things change in football... European countries are superpowers here. The best players are playing in European teams, and we also have money, or do you think the only ones with money are the USA?  

Both of you speak Spanish very dadly, both of you say the same wrong insults... so... HELLO RAP! Have you created this account to not be banned? Have you created this account to insult the people, eh, baron/RAP?

Ola Mikel, mi putita amiga; el Baron y yo, no hablamos el espanol tan "dadly" :laugh:

Somos diferentes personas; yo soy Puertoriquena, y vivo en el Bronx, Nueva York, y mi amigo el Baron creo que vive in el Bay Area.

Los dos nos gusta hoder a un maricon como tu. :angry:

Baron, have you entered to your other account?  :laugh: Are you so coward? Can't you insult from you 'baron account'?  :glare:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, John Howards come out in support of the idea of an Oz hosting now (which is more than he did with any of the previous Oz proposals _ indeed, it was his lack of support that killed one of the first musings)

CANBERRA, June 16 AAP - Prime Minister John Howard has backed a proposal to host the soccer World Cup in Australia in 2014.

Mr Howard said the proposal, from South Australian Premier Mike Rann, had merit as Australia had proven it could handle any major sporting event on the globe.

``There is no world event that is beyond the capacity of Australia to organise superbly,'' he told ABC radio.

``We are very good at it, we proved that in Melbourne in 1956, we proved it in Sydney in 2000, Melbourne again with the Commonwealth Games, and the very successful Rugby World Cup.

``And I'm sure, anywhere in Australia virtually, where there's a large population and the necessary infrastructure, we could do it.''

Mr Howard said he would be happy to discuss the idea with Mr Rann at the next Council of Australian Governments meeting.

He said the proposal would have to be a national endeavour.

``As a matter of principle I'm certainly in favour of us looking at it, as a nation, it should be done on a national basis,'' he said.

AAP

Well, it looks like the bid is on, and it's for 2018!

SYDNEY, June 23 AAP - NSW and South Australia will put a joint submission to the next Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting that Australia bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

NSW Premier Morris Iemma and South Australian Premier Mike Rann have held a joint press conference in Sydney following Australia's excitement-packed 2-2 World Cup draw with Croatia.

``We have all been inspired by the Socceroos' sensational performance in Germany this morning against Croatia,'' Mr Iemma said.

``The FIFA World Cup remains the biggest major international sporting event (that) Australia has never hosted, so a well planned bid is the natural next step.''

Mr Iemma and Mr Rann said 2018 was the first realistic option for Australia to become a host nation, with Africa named 2010 host and South America the leading candidate for 2014.

Mr Rann said he would like to see a national bid planning team formed this year to develop Australia's submission to FIFA.

He also wants to see infrastructure, facilities and security planning take place to secure the World Cup.

Both premiers said they were looking forward to getting the Prime Minister John Howard's support for the bid when COAG meets on July 14.

Australia would need to have all the major aspects of its World Cup host bid together by 2010 to be considered.

``It is my belief that it's time for Australia as a nation to step up to host the world's biggest sporting event,'' Mr Rann said.

``For Australia to be successful, the Australian government and all state governments would have to be involved in preparing a bid in conjunction with Football Federation Australia and major Australian business interests.''

Mr Iemma said Australia already had most of the major infrastructure in place to host the World Cup, with eight of the 10 required major stadiums already in place.

Australia has a good reputation for hosting major events after successfully hosting the 2000 Sydney Olympics and the 2003 Rugby World Cup, he said.

Both premiers agreed the game of soccer has now found its place in the heart of Australians and they are looking forward to Australia's next match against Italy.

Archived