World Cup 2022-Australia?

I know Australia isn't exactly reknowned for it's soccer skills, but Sepp Blatter said a couple of years ago that he wanted every continent to experience the world cup, and was considering a rotational thingie. Now, Australia isn't in Oceania anymore for FIFA purposes, but I'm reasonably certain it would get that spot; I'm not sure Fiji or New Zealand could host.

So:

2002-Asia-Japan/Korea

2006-Europe-Germany

2010-Africa-South Africa

2014-South America-Brazil

Then, as I see it, there are three possibilities-a middle Possibly an eastern European bid. A Greece/Turkey co-bid, maybe, getting support from the ME and Europe.

The problem with the North American bid is that South America will just have hosted it; the problem with Australia is that that would be 3 southern hemishpere WCs in a row, and the problems with Europe, and less significantly, Asia, is that they will have hosted recently-although the Middle East has never hosted.

I think 2018 in Turkey, possibly alongside Greece, would be a strong possibility. Might even stop Istanbul bidding for the olympics for a little while, and give them a stronger chance when they start bidding again.

2022 would therefore pretty much be between an Australian bid and a North American bid, and I would consider Australia a favourite, with 2026 being enough time since 1986 for Mexico to host again.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that 2018 will be in Europe (personally I would like England to get it, but as long as it's in a near enough timezone, I'll be happy), and so yes, I guess Australia could be in for a good chance of hosting 2022.

yeah..uh-huh.  The US will try to get 2018 -- after all, that would be 24 years since our last turn.

*GASP*  :shocked:  - 24 years wow!

Well, England are set to bid for the 2018 World Cup and return it to the birth place of football 62 years after our last turn - what an attractive prospect for FIFA!!!

:P

This topic was discussed before... Blatter said that the rotation thing is over, but we must remember that a traditional rotation Europe/America was used from 1958 to 1994, so I think now the rotation will be America/Europe/Others.

Anyway, I think 2018 will probably return to Europe (England seems the best choice, but Benelux or Spain could be good options). And 2022 probably for the "Others": Australia? China? Morocco?. I don't know. And for 2026, the US have a good opportunity.

Australia will have to wait and see how it goes in the WC first. I reckon it would need to make it to at least two consecutive finals, and maybe at least make it to the second round of one of them, before it could reasonably be in a position to ask that they host a finals of their own.

I agree that it's dependent on us qualifying for 2010 and 2014, but if I had to stake my life on the 2022 host I think i'd have the best chance with Australia.

That said, it's a long time away and a lot could and will change, but it sort of seems like it's a 'Cape Town' window, a good opportunity that everything is now starting to get in line for-move to the Asian confederation, qualification for 2006, fledgling but successful domestic league, etc..

Yes go for 2022 but why not 2018???

Would England host again only 6 years after Olympics - if costs of the 2012 Games start going up and the debts start mounting - it may not be financially viable to host again...

Incidently when will it become official about Brazil... and when does the decision for 2018 get announced. Is it a seven year lead up  like the olympics?

Financially viable? I'd have thought so! To get ready for a world cup would cost comparitively little especially now we (nearly) have our centrepiece stadium in place. A few upgrades here and there would be needed but nothing on the scale of South Korea/Japan.

I think a world cup world turn over a tidy profit if it were held in England.

Possible stadiums:

LONDON

Wembley 90,000

Ashburton Grove 60,000

Stamford Bridge 43,000

MANCHESTER

Old Trafford 76,000

City of Manchester Stadium 48,000

MERSEYSIDE

Stanley Park (Liverpool's new ground) 60,000

Goodison Park 40,000

NORTH EAST

St James' Park 52,000

Stadium of Light 49,000

MIDLANDS AND YORKSHIRE

Elland Road 40,000

Villa Park 44,000

Hillsborough 40,000

Financially viable? I'd have thought so! To get ready for a world cup would cost comparitively little especially now we (nearly) have our centrepiece stadium in place. A few upgrades here and there would be needed but nothing on the scale of South Korea/Japan.

I think a world cup world turn over a tidy profit if it were held in England.

Possible stadiums:

LONDON

Wembley 90,000

Ashburton Grove 60,000

Stamford Bridge 43,000

MANCHESTER

Old Trafford 76,000

City of Manchester Stadium 48,000

MERSEYSIDE

Stanley Park (Liverpool's new ground) 60,000

Goodison Park 40,000

NORTH EAST

St James' Park 52,000

Stadium of Light 49,000

MIDLANDS AND YORKSHIRE

Elland Road 40,000

Villa Park 44,000

Hillsborough 40,000

Only two stadiums over 65k is a bit...hmmn-ish. I like the idea of Turkey/Greece, but it's only got Spyros Louis at 70k or so and Ataturk Olympic at 80k-although it could be pushed up to at least 95k for the event, I think.

England would be good, but it might damage our chances a little bit.

Is Russia a possibility at all? It's got that big athletics one in St. petersburg and, of course, Luzniki, but I don't think they have anything else of note.

Australia of course has the MCG (100k), Telstra Stadium (Stdaium Australia, can be boost a la olympics to around 100k), but not much else over 50k.

yeah..uh-huh.  The US will try to get 2018 -- after all, that would be 24 years since our last turn.

*GASP*  :shocked:  - 24 years wow!

Well, England are set to bid for the 2018 World Cup and return it to the birth place of football 62 years after our last turn - what an attractive prospect for FIFA!!

who cares about this 'birthplace' bullsh*t?  The Olympic Games returned to Athens 108 years later -- so the UK can wait much longer.

Now as far as US2018, the US will have New York (2 stadia), Los Angeles (3 there: the Rose Bowl, LA Memorial Carson City), Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston (the new Gilette stadium in Foxboro), DC, San Francisco (at least 2: the new Giants stadium and a refurbished Stanford stadium); throw in Dallas, San Diego and Orlando/Tampa and Miami -- and you'd have at least 10 major metropolitan areas with 75,000+ stadia ready to host again.

who cares about this 'birthplace' bullsh*t?  

People who actually care about football care about its heritage - rather than those being deliberately belligerent when infact their own nation has shown little interest in bidding anyway.

:kungfu:

I think the danger here is that just because the IOC awards the summer olympics to the USA every ~20 years, a lot of people in the US may expect that FIFA will do the same and give the world cup to America every ~20 years. FIFA works differently to the IOC.

I can understand why the USA will bid again so soon after 1994, given that Mexico hosted twice in 16 years (1970/86) so why not the USA?

However, it's not that simple. The US will find it difficult to win the 2018, it will be a very different race to 1994.

The 1994 race didn't really have stong competition for US in the form of Morocco (FIFA wasn't ready back then to go to Africa, it took them another 16 years to finally go to South Africa, and that was only after the heavy criticism they recieved for awarding 2006 to Germany).

England, China, Spain etc will be more difficult to defeat than Morocco in 1994. Not to mention there is danger (for the US bid) that the Europeans will gang up, and England will pick up all of Spain's votes, or vice versa one one bid has dropped out. The USA doesn't have the advantage of being the new frontier bid this time round. That was a major weapon in 1994, but this time China will be playing that card.

Also- I know that European football stadiums such as Wembley, Nou Camp (Barcelona), Old Trafford (Manchester), Bernabeu (Real Madrid), aren't that well-known in the US, but in the football world, these stadiums are icons, the prospect of semi-finals and finals being played in these stadiums will be more attractive to FIFA than the majority of stadiums in the US, the majority of FIFA voting members being non-American.

If the USA wins the 2016 summer games, then there will be people around the world adamant that the USA does not get to host the world cup also, after 2 years (this having already happened in 1994/6). This is the same problem being faced by the people who want to bring the 2014 commonwealth games to Glasgow- 2 years after London 2012? Unlikely...

who cares about this 'birthplace' bullsh*t?  

People who actually care about football care about its heritage - rather than those being deliberately belligerent when infact their own nation has shown little interest in bidding anyway.

No, the US is just biding its time in bidding for the WC again.  I know for a fact that the USSoccer braintrust wanted to get 2014 until they respected FIFA's wishes that perhaps that should be Brazil's time.  Unlike other countries who have no idea how to bid or to respect the unspoken continental rotation (which to me, still exists to a certain degree -- and which should be observed to keep things on an even global keel), the US will move in the right time.  No wasted efforts.  :P

If Sepp Blatter says rotation doesn't exist after 2014, why should you think it still does?

Who knows if he will still be around?  These sports heads just spout a lot of things diplomatically.  So, precisely, if 'continental rotiation' does not exist, then what's to keep other countries (including the US) from going for it, too?   :suspect:

Baron... the worst thing for a potential WC in US is the rotation, because Europe will set 2018 at its time...

And USSoccer hasn't the power to push a bid by itself. With the complete support of FIFA and Joao Havelange, US got 10 votes for 1994... Morocco, 7 and Brazil, 2 (they quit before the voting). Only one vote over the 50%. And no European team bidded then because Italy won for 1990.

South Africa, with all the support of FIFA, CAF and CONMEBOL, was defeated by Germany only because it was European.

South Africa, with all the support of FIFA, CAF and CONMEBOL, was defeated by Germany only because it was European.

No, South Africa lost because there was that cowardly New Zealander who abstained.  If he had voted for SA, there would've been a tie, and Blatter was going to cast the deciding vote for RSA.

So OK, no rotation.  A wide-open vote then, and any country can bid -- Indonesia, Russia, the USA, Australia.  I mean maybe the multitude of candidates will overwhelm the FIFA board -- and remind that Europe isn't the only qualified continent to host the WC.

No, South Africa lost because there was that cowardly New Zealander who abstained.  If he had voted for SA, there would've been a tie, and Blatter was going to cast the deciding vote for RSA.

So OK, no rotation.  A wide-open vote then, and any country can bid -- Indonesia, Russia, the USA, Australia.  I mean maybe the multitude of candidates will overwhelm the FIFA board -- and remind that Europe isn't the only qualified continent to host the WC.

Nobody is saying Europe is the only continent qualified to host a world cup! And I think everyone does want an open vote. So we agree on how it should be done, Baron.

But I think it should come back home to England, whilst you think it should return once more to the US. And despite their undoubted capability, I've yet to hear one argument for another US World Cup that convinces me.

After two new frontiers in 2010 and 2014, I can't help but think that Australia's chances are limited as far as 2018 goes. I have a feeling that if a new frontier nation were to win, it'd be China rather than Australia.

As far as 2022 goes, that depends largely on what happens in 2018. If 2018 goes to China or the US, 2022 will certainly be a European World Cup. If 2018 goes to Europe, Australia may be in with a chance for 2022.

So, to summarise my thoughts. Australia 2018 seems unlikely, and Australia 2022 is only likely if a European country wins 2018.

About China...

China to Wait Until 2026 to Host World Cup

China will host the Olympic Games in less than two years time. But it may have to wait 20 years to stage soccer's World Cup, according to FIFA vice president Issa Hayatou.

Hayatou said here on Wednesday that under FIFA's continental rotation policy on the host of the World Cup, Asia could next stage the World Cup in 2026 after South Korea and Japan co-hosted the quadrennial event in 2002.

He said China will have a fairly good chance of winning the right to host the 2026 World Cup if it lodges a bid.

"You have very good facilities, and your economy enjoys a high growth, so you are capable of staging the World Cup," Hayatou told a press conference.

A 10-man FIFA delegation headed by Hayatou wrapped up a two-day tour of Beijing on Wednesday to inspect the Chinese capital's preparations for the soccer tournament of the 2008 Olympic Games.

But Hayatou added that China's chance also depends on how many Asian countries intend to stage the World Cup.

Nicolas Maingot, an official at FIFA's media department, said FIFA has yet to decide on the sites, or even the continents, for the World Cups beyond 2014.

"For the moment, the only dates which are confirmed are 2010 for South Africa, and 2014 for South America," Maingot told Xinhua.

(Xinhua News Agency March 23, 2006)

Source: China.org.cn

About China...

China to Wait Until 2026 to Host World Cup

China will host the Olympic Games in less than two years time. But it may have to wait 20 years to stage soccer's World Cup, according to FIFA vice president Issa Hayatou.

Hayatou said here on Wednesday that under FIFA's continental rotation policy on the host of the World Cup, Asia could next stage the World Cup in 2026 after South Korea and Japan co-hosted the quadrennial event in 2002.

He said China will have a fairly good chance of winning the right to host the 2026 World Cup if it lodges a bid.

"You have very good facilities, and your economy enjoys a high growth, so you are capable of staging the World Cup," Hayatou told a press conference.

A 10-man FIFA delegation headed by Hayatou wrapped up a two-day tour of Beijing on Wednesday to inspect the Chinese capital's preparations for the soccer tournament of the 2008 Olympic Games.

But Hayatou added that China's chance also depends on how many Asian countries intend to stage the World Cup.

Nicolas Maingot, an official at FIFA's media department, said FIFA has yet to decide on the sites, or even the continents, for the World Cups beyond 2014.

"For the moment, the only dates which are confirmed are 2010 for South Africa, and 2014 for South America," Maingot told Xinhua.

(Xinhua News Agency March 23, 2006)

Source: China.org.cn

The trouble is, Blatter himself last year said the rotation policy was dead, so that article is basing it's premise on an outdated notion.

Back to the Oz question _ 2018 is far too early (though of course I know Melbourne in particular is in a post-games, hankering for the next biggest event frame of mind right now).

2022 is a possible, but then again as I said earlier, only if Australia can show some conistent results in the world game like make the 2010 and 2014 finals and make it through to the second round of at least one of them). And yes, China will be the big competition the next time Asia has a chance to host _ not sure if we'd have the clout to beat them.

If we did host, how would we hold it? A Perth group, an Adelaide group, a Brisbane Group, a Sydney group, a Melbourne Group and then what?

Maybe have Auckland host a group and Melbourne and Sydney host second groups?

So you'd have a Subiaco Group (43,000, could be upgraded, or you could re-build the WACA or Fremantle Oval), Football Park Group (55,000), Stadium Australia Group (83,000), SCG Group (44,000, could be upgraded), MCG Group (99,000), Docklands Group (56,000), SunCorp Stadium Group (53,000, although QE2 could be significantly upgraded) and Eden Park Group (50,000).

Hmmn, ideas.

Maybe have the second Sydney group have 2 games in Canberra (Bruce/Canerra Stadium-24,000, could be upgraded), 2 in Newcastle (Newcastle Stadium-27,000, could be upgraded) and 2 in Woolongong (WIN Stadium-18,000, could be upgraded a bit); and have the second Melbourne group have 2 in Geelong (Kardinia Park-28,000, could be upgraded), 2 in Launceston (Aurora-20,000, could be upgraded significantly) and 2 in Hobart (Belleriev, 19,000 could be upgraded). Also, have one game of the Auckland group played in Wellington, 1 in Dunedin and 1 in Christchurch, and 1 game of the Brisbane group played at the Gold Coast and 1 in Townsville.

Archived