Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Faster

Expo 2015

italian central gov. didn't choose yet which will be the italian candidate.

at first it was Trieste, then that was thrown away by Torino, which maybe thinks about a co-hosting with Milan and Genova (this idea sucks in my opinion); Milan, which would like the expo itself; now even Venice, Naples and Palermo declared hosting the expo would be great.

now, there are maaaaany rumors...but i think the only ones that could really host it would be Torino or Milan. Just wait and see what our strange government decide.

I think Moscow could be the perfect European host. Torino has hosted the Olympics recently and you will surely have the Euro 2012.

Anyway, I think it's America's (and I'm not referring to the USA) turn.

I don't know. When one nation, especially one city, that has hosted the World's Fair more than once in such quick succession, I begin to wonder what the BIE has been given, in order for that to occur in the past. I'm more for the idea of having the World's Fair hosted in nations that hasn't got to host one before, like that Turkish bid as an example. It is kind of ridiculous for me to see that the event is called a "WORLD's Fair", but it seems that it goes to the way of the Summer Olympics in the past. Still is, but I see a possible change away from that.

I'm waiting for new on Toronto's bid. The Federal Government is still reviewing it and the bid officials are awaiting the government's approval and backing of the bid. To be honest, I don't think the government likes it that much.

I doubt the US could host an Expo if they even make part of the BIE club. :rolleyes:

They probably can but I'm sure Knoxville is still on their minds and may stay away.

Some news on Toronto:

Most favour T.O.'s bid for a World's Fair

Sep. 9, 2006. 01:00 AM

DONOVAN VINCENT

CITY HALL BUREAU

Residents of the GTA strongly support Toronto's bid for Expo 2015, according to a Toronto Star/Decima poll.

When asked, "Do you support or oppose Toronto's bid (for) the world's fair?'' 83 per cent of respondents said yes.

As to their reasons, the most common response — given by 39 per cent of supporters — was that if Toronto hosted the event, it would help promote the city and the country. One in three believed it would stimulate economic growth.

Of those opposing the bid, the majority believed it would be too expensive and wouldn't turn a profit, while 29 per cent said the money required to put on a world's fair in Toronto could be put to better use.

The overall survey questioned 685 Greater Toronto residents, about evenly divided between the city and suburban regions, between July 31 and Aug. 10, using Decima's GTA MetroVox, a bi-monthly online survey.

A random sample of this size has an associated sample margin of error plus or minus 3.7 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

Toronto City Council voted in May to vie for Expo 2015. To get into the running officially, the city must file its bid by Nov. 3 to the Bureau of International des Expositions, a Paris-based body that decides who hosts A-class fairs.

The city has yet to hear whether it will get support from Ottawa, without which the bid can't go forward. The federal government is currently going over the city's business plan for the event. Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty has been cautious in his support to date.

But the numbers from the Decima survey bode well for the bid, at least with regard to public support, says Bob Murphy, senior vice president for Decima in Toronto.

"I think that (83 per cent) is a very significant number,'' Murphy said.

"I think people are principally looking at what it can do to build the city's brand."

No background information, such as projected costs or deficits, was provided to respondents before they answered the question, Murphy said.

The bid is expected to cost about $2.8 billion in public money, generate an estimated $13.5 billion in new GDP, create 215,000 jobs and $8.4 billion in wages and salaries, and generate about $5.1 billion in tax revenue, among other benefits. However, the event itself is also expected to generate a $700 million deficit.

The timing of the survey results "couldn't be better,'' according to Michel Frappier, chief operating officer for the Toronto 2015 World Expo Corporation, a city agency. The corporation was to sit down with a public relations firm this week to discuss putting together a "communications strategy'' for the bid. It would include one-on-one meetings with members of the public informing them about the bid, he said.

Frappier acknowledged that nothing can go far until the federal government decides whether to support the bid.

Councillor Brian Ashton (Ward 36, Scarborough Southwest), who is spearheading the bid, said he was "stunned'' and pleased by the 83 per cent support.

"This sends a strong message to Ottawa and the province that the public supports a World's Fair,'' Ashton said in an interview.

But Councillor Michael Walker (Ward 22, St. Paul's), who voted against the bid, said government can't be run by opinion polls. The money the fair would cost would be better spent on priorities such as transit, housing or education, he said.

Ashton said that now that the city has given Ottawa financial projections for hosting Expo 2015, Heritage Canada will begin crafting a report to go to the federal cabinet sometime near the end of this month.

add TOrino to the 2015 list.

Torino EXPO 2015

Il Chiampa in trasferta a Parigi per l'investitura ufficiale di Torino Capitale del Libro 2006, annuncia e conferma la candidatura all'Expo 2015 di Torino, della quale già si vociferava su questo Forum...

un evento che potrebbe essere sensazionale, questa volta piu che un impatto mediatico (assolutamente irragiungibile il risultato delle Olimpiadi) porterebbe FISICAMENTE una marea di visitatori.

l'ultima Expo di Aichi-Nagoja, in Giappone, ovvero uno dei pesi piu difiicili da raggiungere, ha attirato QUINDICI MILIONI di visitatori. Pensate l'effetto che potrebbe eserci in una città europea semicentrale...

L'Expo si tiene ogni 5 anni, l'ultima edizione è stata ad Aichi (JAP), la prossima sarà à Shangai (CHI) nel 2010.

Per il 2015, purtroppo, torino parte indietrissimo in quanto sono già molto avanti le preparazioni per le candidature di S. Francisco (USA) e Toronto (CAN) sono gia molto avanti. Sono loro, ad oggi, le favorite.

Certo non sarà come partire all'ultimo momento per le Olimpiadi e battere una piccola anche se politamente influente Sion... ma provarci è già una ficata di per sè.

Le altre candidate sono ad oggi Izmir (TUR), Las Vegas (USA) e Mosca (RUS).

Torino, se molti di voi non lo sapessero, ha già ospitato l'Expo del 1911 che trasformò il parco del Valentino in un parco con costruzioni allucinanti ed estremamente originali richiamanti i diversi stili di architettura di tutto il mondo. Purtroppo (ahimè!!!!) vennero concepite tutte come strutture provvisirie e andarono tutte perdute, tranne l'unica testimonianza del bellissimo Borgo Medioevale. Sono sempre stato curioso ma sono poche le testimonianze fotografiche (ce n'è una fichissima oggi sulla prima pagina de La Stampa Torino...)

cerchero qualcosa su internet...

i do have to say that accrding to the BIE web site, there are only 3 official candidates:

_Poland: city of Wroclaw

_Korea: city of Yeosu

_Morocco: city of Tangier

i do have to say that accrding to the BIE web site, there are only 3 official candidates:

Those cities are not bidding for the Bigger 2015 Expo.

These are for the 2012 International Expo. This Expo will be like the Zaragoza 2008 one.

The bid deadline is November 3. The only official city bidding is Izmir.

I'm seriously doubting the Canadian government's support for Toronto's bid now. We have heard no news or indication about the Federal governments stance towards Toronto's bid. I just get this hesitant feeling with it all. I wonder if the city has a 2016 SOG bid in the backburner.

add also Milan to that list..

a week ago the new mayor of the city, Letizia Moratti, has gone to Shangay to promote Milan as possible host of the 2015 expo.. Shangay, in exchange for technical help from Milan to prepare the 2010 expo (Milan hosts the most important european fixed Fair) has assured its help to boost the milanese bid for 2015.

add also Milan to that list..

a week ago the new mayor of the city, Letizia Moratti, has gone to Shangay to promote Milan as possible host of the 2015 expo.. Shangay, in exchange for technical help from Milan to prepare the 2010 expo (Milan hosts the most important european fixed Fair) has assured its help to boost the milanese bid for 2015.

But it's not official yet. They haven't submitted their bid to the BIE yet.

But it's not official yet. They haven't submitted their bid to the BIE yet.

right, just wait what the governement will choose between Torino and Milano.. some rumors talked about a jointbid though. we will see

right, just wait what the governement will choose between Torino and Milano.. some rumors talked about a jointbid though. we will see

Has there ever been a winning joint bid for Expo?

dont' know but in the case of I presume they will opt for a single bid which could count on the neighbour's delivery and tourrist services.. this would be a good guarantee for the success of the event in terms of hotels capacity..

after all Torino and Milan are less than 150 km (about 93 miles) from each other and within a year the 2 cities will be linked by the new high-speed trains system TAV.

I doubt that a joint bid will work.

as I said I doubt it will be an "official" joint bid, also cause the 2 cities are submitting 2 distinguished bids.. but, whoever wins, there would be a single city's name while the other could collaborate with the neighbour in terms of turist services.. after all, why don't exploit the closeness between two big metropolis for such a big event? what would be wrong with that?

To think of that, I think a "joint" bid has won the World's Fair sweepstakes before. Ironically, it was for last year's Expo. You see, from my POV, when my city (Calgary) went against a "Nagoya" bid back in the late 1990s for it, the Japanese were already about TEN YEARS ahead of the Canadian city to wanting it badly. Of course, the Japanese got the honor, but when I found out about it afterwards WHERE it was going to be held, Nagoya was basically out of the picture and the Expo host name became "AICHI 2005" instead. Never mind that a "whole new city" was built just for the occasion, then becoming a "new city" with the Aichi prefecture itself now. Where environmentalists come in, I guess there isn't much "true forest" left in all of Japan because, from what I knew and read then, the old Expo site itself was built on former pristine forest. Of course, that depends on one's POV. In any case, there is lots of doubts in my city on the basis of having this event ever existing now. As for Toronto's possible THIRD chance for trying to get one, well, we will have to see the outcome, won't we?

after all Torino and Milan are less than 150 km (about 93 miles) from each other and within a year the 2 cities will be linked by the new high-speed trains system TAV.

Just 45' from Torino to Milano with TAV in 2009!

Noe there's only highspeed train service from Torino to Novara.

World's Fair bid close to collapse

Province refuses to offer 'blank cheque' for deficits

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969483202845

'Intense' political discussions as deadline nears

Oct. 24, 2006. 05:51 AM

JIM BYERS AND KERRY GILLESPIE

STAFF REPORTERS

Toronto's bid for the 2015 world's fair was hanging by a thread last night after a provincial official said Queen's Park can't afford to be the financial backstop.

"The province will not be the guarantor of an uncapped deficit," a spokesman for Tourism Minister Jim Bradley said late yesterday. "We're supportive of the bid and initiatives to attract tourists to Ontario and Toronto, but at a time when we're focusing on investment in hospitals and schools, we cannot afford to write a blank cheque.

"The federal government, on the other hand, has a large surplus available," spokesman David Oved said. "The province is prepared to continue to be a partner with the city, the federal government and private sector on the bid."

The city is ready to talk about limiting any deficit, but if the province opts out, the deal is dead, said the city's chief cheerleader for the 2015 World Expo, Councillor Brian Ashton.

"If they're talking about a cap (on the amount of deficit they could pick up), the city I think is quite prepared to negotiate something as part of a sound business plan," said Ashton (Ward 36, Scarborough Southwest). "But if they can't play any kind of role (in helping with a deficit) ... it simply kills the bid."

Ashton, however, said "intense discussions" were underway between the city and Queen's Park last night.

"We're trying to find a cost-sharing partnership on the financial guarantee," he said, adding he didn't know what form a partnership might take.

The Paris-based Bureau International des Expositions, which grants the world's fair to cities across the globe, requires bid countries to pick up any deficits that might occur. The city's bid is due at the bureau's offices on Nov. 3, but Ashton said the agency would likely be happy with a letter stating the issue will be taken care of and that details will be worked out later.

"All the BIE cares about is that there's a guarantor," he said.

The Conservative government in Ottawa yesterday said it likes Toronto's bid. But the Tories say federal law doesn't allow Ottawa to pick up a potential deficit.

The city has repeatedly said it doesn't have the financial wherewithal to pick up a deficit, which studies have suggested could reach $700 million.

It's possible the province is trying to squeeze Ottawa for a stronger, upfront cash commitment for such things as security, soil cleanup or transportation, or is hoping the city will open its wallet and provide more than just the needed land.

But "the clock is ticking," Ashton said.

A provincial source told the Toronto Star the city shouldn't be surprised that Queen's Park is wary of acting as the bid's financial safety net. But Mayor David Miller yesterday said his understanding was the province was ready to pick up a deficit.

Speaking with reporters about the Expo bid after addressing the Star's editorial board, Miller was asked, "Any financial deficit is supposed to be borne by the province, correct?"

"That's right, yes," the mayor replied.

"That's still the case?"

"Yes, that's my understanding. Those are the federal rules for these kinds of bids."

Ashton said he was under the same assumption as Miller on the province's willingness to pick up a deficit. He said the city isn't asking for millions of dollars in cash on an upfront basis.

"If there was a deficit of, say, $500 million, it would play out over 10 or 12 years and there would be revenues from taxes" that would more than outweigh the spending, he said.

Federal Treasury Board President John Baird said yesterday he likes the idea of a World Expo in Toronto. "I've had good discussions with the mayor (Miller) about it," he told the Star's Les Whittington in Ottawa. "It's important."

Speaking before Oved made his comments to the Star, Baird said Ottawa was waiting for Premier Dalton McGuinty's government to provide a guarantee that it will cover unexpected costs, as is required since 1995 by federal law.

Baird said Ottawa is aware of the impending deadline for Toronto's bid and will make a decision as quickly as possible after it hears from McGuinty on the cost guarantee.

The city's plan calls for Ottawa, Queen's Park and Toronto to share $2.8 billion in upfront costs to clean up contaminated soil, build pavilions and make other improvements in the city's derelict port lands.

Ashton said studies have shown Expo could generate $5.3 billion in taxes, mostly for the federal and provincial governments.

The federal government doesn't have to pick up any deficit but would be expected to pay for security costs and for a pavilion at the fair, he said. Most of the city's contribution would come in the form of land.

Expo backers last week unveiled a new theme for the fair: Sharing Our Planet.

Izmir, Turkey also has talked about bidding for the 2015 fair. There's been talk of bids from Milan and Moscow, but nothing formal has been announced.

Toronto lost bids for world's fairs in both 1998 and 2000.

I've had a feeling for the past few months that the Expo bid would be killed, and walla, here's evidence.

Nope. It was tried for the US Bicentennial in 1976. Philadelphia was to have the BIE-sanctioned expo; and Miami was to host the Fair of the Americas. Nothing came of it.