Future World Athletics Championships

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New York or San Francisco could be good hosts :)

Well, I'm sure there would be other American cities that could have an interest on hosting this event. LA would be able to do it because of that Coliseum to me.

New Delhi, Rio de Janeiro or somewhere in Africa could be good hosts.

The event has been held always in Europe except in Tokyo'91, Edmonton'01 and Osaka'07.

That Edmonton bid was a shocker then to me. Considering that Canada is not much of an athletics world power, some could say that it was a risk for the IAAF to go this way. Of course, the 2011 race could end up like that, once we know which cities around the world are actually going to bid for it.

^ Canada hosted and won agaisnt Stanford and Paris, compared to those sites Canada has won the least amount of medals, so Australia has a good chance if they bid.

As for Valencia, I think there chances are much slimmer then other potential bids because Seville hosted in 1999 and that would only be a 12 year difference.

I don't recall a bid from Paris here. I thought that it was New Delhi for 2001, along with Stanford and Edmonton.

I'm suprised Kuala Lumpar hasn't shown any interest. Their national stadium would be perfect for IAAF World Athletics.

Yeah. That stadium that hosted the athletics events for the 1998 Commonwealth Games is a good choice here.

Well, if we go by the championships earlier this month in Helsinki, then 40,000 would seem to be the minimum spectator requirements.  Of course, Helsinki was a last-minute replacement for a certain city that could not live up to its commitment.

However, it's more than just stadium requirements.  It's like any World Championships.  It has to include suitable housing for what? nearly 800 athletes, press and the Sports Federation officials.

The 2011 championships will probably go back to Europe. The IAAF has shown that it rarely likes venturing out of their comfort zone. Maybe Istanbul would be a good choice. It makes it look like they are awarding the championships to another continent but they dont have to get their feet too wet. Maybe if they are feeling really adventurous they will go to Cape Town - same time zone.

Kuala Lumpur may be a good stadium but are 100,000 Malaysians going to turn up everyday to watch other countries win medals... and considering Darth Mahatir isn't at the helm anymore, he can't command them to go.

Sydney would be Australia's ideal choice - Telstra Stadium is currently 83,500 but could be expanded back up to 95,000 and they could put a roof over the top.

I doubt the MCG Trust would want to rip up the grandstand and turf again after the '06 CG's.

I wouldn't want the Championships to come to Brisbane if they are going to be held in the '82 Commonwealth Games Stadium, how embarrasing, unless we build a new stadium by then which isn't likely.

You really must be brainless if you believe that.

What are you suggesting - the scum that detonated those bombs had similar devices in all the other bidding cities and were just waiting on Rogge's announcement?

Why don't you leave this forum to those with brains?

What are you suggesting - the scum that detonated those bombs had similar devices in all the other bidding cities and were just waiting on Rogge's announcement?

Fool!  As you said, it won't happen, jack*ss.

Of course, Helsinki was a last-minute replacement for a certain city that could not live up to its commitment.

Didn't stop us winning 2012, though, did it?

No, it didn't but it got at least 56 people killed for starters, duh??

Does anyone else agree with this ridiculous opinion?

Fool!  As you said, it won't happen, jack*ss.

I don't recall saying anything. There's only one person here talking rubbish.

Sydney would be Australia's ideal choice - Telstra Stadium is currently 83,500 but could be expanded back up to 95,000 and they could put a roof over the top.

I doubt the MCG Trust would want to rip up the grandstand and turf again after the '06 CG's.

I wouldn't want the Championships to come to Brisbane if they are going to be held in the '82 Commonwealth Games Stadium, how embarrasing, unless we build a new stadium by then which isn't likely.

What about Perth? aren’t they redeveloping Perry Lakes Stadium?

typical

I might as well change my signature to

The price of building tall buildings in the middle of America's financial capital? Already 3000 dead and counting...

Doesn't bother me one bit.  It's a free world, isn't it?  But if you want to escalate it - fine.

I know it wouldn't bother you. Nothing does.

Archived