Future World Athletics Championships

I have read that Osaka (Japan) will host the event in 2007 and Berlin (Germany) in 2009, I have also read that Daegu (South Korea), New Delhi (India), Valencia (Spain), Brisbane (Australia) and other three cities are bidding to host 2011. What do you think? :)
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think those 2011 bids are unofficial ones at this time. Besides, Berlin was chosen for 2009 when Primo was still alive. I still can't believe that the USA isn't thinking about bidding for one again. Of course, the Stanford area of California was trying time and time again to get the event without success.
If these 2011 bids are unofficial, why not a London bid?

It would be great to have a London bid for 2011 here. If the Olympic Stadium is ready and the city does win the bid, it will erase the debacle that came out, when London was supposed to host this year's World Championship. Never mind about using the event as a test one for the venue.

What I have heard is that the IAAF will make the selection in November 2006 and that the offical process hasn't started yet. So there's plenty of time to make speculations.

The only city that has made serious steps toward bidding is Daegu (4th largest South Korean City). There are also rumors about other cities including those Mikel named and Stanford.

It would be great to have a London bid for 2011 here. If the Olympic Stadium is ready and the city does win the bid, it will erase the debacle that came out, when London was supposed to host this year's World Championship. Never mind about using the event as a test one for the venue.

The Olympic stadium will be finished late 2011 from what I've heard so it won't quite be finished by the time the World Champs are due. Anyway, we don't want to spoil the Olympics by hosting another big event a year earlier! The Olympic Park's first event (apart from the obligatory small test events) should be the opening ceremony imho.

The Olympic stadium will be finished late 2011 from what I've heard so it won't quite be finished by the time the World Champs are due. Anyway, we don't want to spoil the Olympics by hosting another big event a year earlier! The Olympic Park's first event (apart from the obligatory small test events) should be the opening ceremony imho.

Exactly: Go Valencia 2011!!! :;):

Were the stadium to be ready, I think 2011 would be a very nice little taster for the British sporting public of what's to come.

Still, 2013 is an option.

Probably the only thing holding up an Australian bid is Australia's dismal recent results in track and field. We need to improve a LOT in the sport before we can realoly seriously think of bidding (though brisbane has been expressing interest in it lately).

As to London _ well, why not? The IOC does like to see the host cities host a range of test events in the years leading up to a games and what could be a better test event that the World Champs (though the IAAF probably wouldn't take too kindly to seeing their premier event being considered just a practice run).

^ Canada hosted and won agaisnt Stanford and Paris, compared to those sites Canada has won the least amount of medals, so Australia has a good chance if they bid.

As for Valencia, I think there chances are much slimmer then other potential bids because Seville hosted in 1999 and that would only be a 12 year difference.

Probably the only thing holding up an Australian bid is Australia's dismal recent results in track and field. We need to improve a LOT in the sport before we can realoly seriously think of bidding (though brisbane has been expressing interest in it lately).

London would be the obvious choice.

Brisbane would need to redovelope ANZ first. Is an athletics track being incorporated in Melbournes new Olympic Park Stadium plan? Perth will have a new 40,000seat athletics stadium by 2009-2010 also to replace the ageing Perry Lakes, so a bid from Australia is liable. I dont think Sydney would be a contender, seeing as they've already had the Olympic, Rugby World Cup and the World Youth Day. Telstra Stadium may be a little to large also.

Los Angelese is another option. So to San Francisco. ISnt Germany on the hunt too? Frankfurt?

What cities have been hosting since 1983?

1983 Helsinki

1987 Rome

1991 Tokyo

1993 Stuttgart

1995 Gothenburg

1997 Athens

1999 Seville

2001 Edmonton

2003 Paris

2005 Helsinki

2007 Osaka

2009 Berlin

I would like to see a bid from Brussels, Budapest or Moscow for 2011 or later.

Dubai, Cape Town, Istanbul?

I don't think that London is a good choice. They could go for something smaller in athletics (like the world cup), because they already have to organize the biggest event.

Smaller countries that can't host the Olympics could bid (Turkey, South Africa, India, Portugal, Brazil, etc).

New Delhi, Rio de Janeiro or somewhere in Africa could be good hosts.

The event has been held always in Europe except in Tokyo'91, Edmonton'01 and Osaka'07.

Archived