Why Is 2016 So Nasty?

Rominger,

How many cities Olympic Games transformed??? Barcelona, Seoul, Athens, Beijing...

How many cities PanAm Games transformed??? NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because PanAm were a small event 'til 2007.... Don't you remeber Santo Domingo 2nd division Olympic Stadium????

Cesar Maia (former mayor of Rio) filho da puta!!!

He made a lot of promises, stating PanAm would transform the city, now we have a lot of complain on it because of him and the bullshits he said during PanAms preparation!

But the point is that they PROMISED that the PanAms would be an Olympic-sized event. And the only thing "Olympic" was the final budget.

And the policitians I mention are almost the same that were involved at the PanAm (Lula, Nuzman, Orlando Silva...) only the mayor and the governor are different (which I think was HUGE improvement).

I think it is not fair to blame only brazilians for the recent "nastyness" of this forum. I saw this nastyness coming from all sides.

Some people do it in a direct way and others do it in a more sarcastic way...

It's been hard to read most of the posts recently, but as aluz said, people will calm down some weeks after the announcement. I'm sure there will be some nasty stuff with "in your face!" and "Unfair!" bits for a couple of weeks, though...

Meanwhile, I guess I'll keep being quieter waiting for calmer days...

But the point is that they PROMISED that the PanAms would be an Olympic-sized event. And the only thing "Olympic" was the final budget.

And the policitians I mention are almost the same that were involved at the PanAm (Lula, Nuzman, Orlando Silva...) only the mayor and the governor are different (which I think was HUGE improvement).

Rominger,

Comparing to the previous hosts, Rio 2007 was the nearest a PanAm get from an Olympic...

C'mon, velodrome, HSBC Arena, JH Stadium got olympic standards approved for all International Federations as very high quality, even the swimming pool of Maria Lenk has the same technology used in Beijing.

Please answer, do you remember the venues of the previous PanAms???

I remember, I watched Winnipeg 99 and Santo Domingo 2003 day by day... Winnipeg Olympic Stadium have only one side of public, Santo Domingo used a olympic stadium comparable to those used for second division soccer in Brazil.

Rio improved a lot the venues for a PanAm.

About overruns costs, it needs to be improve since the plan was completely changed after Rio winning (HSBC Arena, for example was not planned in the bid plans).

Rominger,

How many cities Olympic Games transformed??? Barcelona, Seoul, Athens, Beijing...

How many cities PanAm Games transformed??? NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because PanAm were a small event 'til 2007.... Don't you remeber Santo Domingo 2nd division Olympic Stadium????

Cesar Maia (former mayor of Rio) filho da puta!!!

He made a lot of promises, stating PanAm would transform the city, now we have a lot of complain on it because of him and the bullshits he said during PanAms preparation!

The biggest stain on the Rio Pan Am Games was the shameful complicity of the Lula government in hunting down and returning two defecting Cuban athletes, like escaping slaves handed back to their master, Castro, Lula's friend...

Given that the defecting Cuban athletes were black and that Lula and the Castros are white, the symbolism could not have been more disgusting.

One can only hope that by 2016, if Rio is the winner, Cuban athletes of whatever race and political tendency, can choose to live whereever they can earn a living, and not have to defect and be treated like state property...especially by such "champions" of the poor as Lula and the Castros.

I'm not defeding Lula, but the defecting Cubans when "escaped" the PanAm Village and their visas expired, they become illegals since Brazil recognizes Cuban government and did not gave political exile to them.

The problem here was that how Brazil govt founded them?

Why is this race nastier than more recent ones? Because in this case, even though it appears to be a Chicago vs. Rio battle, there is still a chance that any of the cities can win...although I still believe that Madrid won't fare well.

For 2012, it was pretty much expected to be a Paris victory with London gaining incremental momentum. New York was an early sentimental favourite, but without a good stadium plan, their bid crumbled to one of only hope.

And of course this time, battle lines aren't about top class cities. They are the establishment vs. the emerging. The dynamics are very different.

Rominger,

Comparing to the previous hosts, Rio 2007 was the nearest a PanAm get from an Olympic...

C'mon, velodrome, HSBC Arena, JH Stadium got olympic standards approved for all International Federations as very high quality, even the swimming pool of Maria Lenk has the same technology used in Beijing.

Please answer, do you remember the venues of the previous PanAms???

I remember, I watched Winnipeg 99 and Santo Domingo 2003 day by day... Winnipeg Olympic Stadium have only one side of public, Santo Domingo used a olympic stadium comparable to those used for second division soccer in Brazil.

Rio improved a lot the venues for a PanAm.

About overruns costs, it needs to be improve since the plan was completely changed after Rio winning (HSBC Arena, for example was not planned in the bid plans).

I am not saying that were high quality venues. Only that they promised much more: remember the Metro lines to the airport and Barra? What about the famous T-5 express way, that is now added to the Olympic plan?

Still, the Maria Lenk Aquatic venue is not ready for the Olympics. It has to be expanded. Same thing for the velodrome, although on this it will be less complicated.

I don´t remember any venue from 1999 or 2003, but I doubt many people outside Brazil remember any venue from Rio. Also, explain what is the point of making venues Olympic-sized if, after the Games, they stayed empty? For me Winnipeg and Santo Domingo were smart because they didn´t need to create such high tech venues, which reduced the budget of their Games.

The point is that they didn´t need to do "Olympic" venues for PanAm. They did it to prove a point...a very expensive point in my point of view, considering the actual use of them.

Rominger, I will not talk about cost overruns, because they existed and shows how Brazil had lots to learn before try something bigger.

My only complain on those who point the overruns is that nobody discount the inflation rates in the critics (about 25% in 5-6 years). It still big, but 25% is a considerable difference.

About Maria Lenk. At the time they planned Maria Lenk was planned into FINA requirements (it was already discussed here), but those requirements for some Olympic Games changed. Now Maria Lenk needs to be covered, since no open-air venus will be approved by FINA for the Olympic Games. Maria Lenk will not be expanded. FINA also changed minimum attendance for Olympics and Maria Lenk can not be expanded.

That's the reason Maria Lenk will be used as venue for Water Polo (that, anyway, would require a separated venue).

(Please, last time I post this here).

Velodrome have been used for training. Yes it has been USED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But cycling is not a popular sport in Brazil. They did a small stadium for PanAms, and again, needs to be expanded for the minimum attendance requirement for Olympics. The same on JH Stadium (that was already built to be expanded if Rio wins some Olympic Games - you know that).

Velodrome will be a problem after Rio de Janeiro 2016 games. Cycling (velodrome kind) will not be popular in Brazil. We will have problems with this venue.

As I seen here, Joao Havelange and now HSBC is remembered by many inside and outside Brazil as PanAms venues, even for those didn't watched the games.

Santo Domingo didn't have Olympic project like Rio. It always been said that PanAm Games was used as test-event for Rio de Janeiro bids for Olympic Games - A well done bet that now shows a result.

Subway lines for PanAms and other factoids...

A great imprudence made by some Brazilian politicians.

Subway is a construction that take time to be build, specially in Rio de Janeiro because of the soil - Indeed I never believed on that, neither on the underground avenue they planned do build in Sao Conrado.

Cesar Maia is know for his crazy projects. The ingenous believed on him. I didn't, since the PanAm never been a boost for transformations in the host city. Rio won't be the first and never a PanAm will do this.

But Rio got the refurbshment for Santos Dumont Airport and lots of new asphalt for main avenues... This was good for a PanAm level.

For 2016 there weren't no promises for subway lines in Barra!!! - This is very important to say, since Sergio Cabral, governor of Rio, said probably he will deliver the stations before 2014 (THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN! - IMPOSSIBLE!!!).

It's important to analysis some politicians promises and don't believe on some.

Rio can do magnificent games, Rio did very good games in 2007 (with minor problems) and I believe Brazil can show a great olympics. Well, wait and see.

Archived