Why Is 2016 So Nasty?

I've followed several host city elections on GB over the years and I don't remember any of the forums feeling quite so vitriolic before. It seems there is an all out war going on. Is the battle genuinely nastier this time around? If so, why? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I've followed several host city elections on GB over the years and I don't remember any of the forums feeling quite so vitriolic before. It seems there is an all out war going on. Is the battle genuinely nastier this time around? If so, why? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Nasty???? It has been the plainest race I think! :) The 2012 was very, very bitter.

Really? I guess I just don't remember it that way. I know 2012 was a tight, hard-fought race, I just don't remember quite so much hostility in the forums.

Uh-huh... Arrogant Frenchies vs. arrogant Brits... That was hard ;) Madrilenos shouting everywhere... americans just simply couldn't stand that NY had a weak bid... It was bitter, believe me :D

Nasty???? It has been the plainest race I think! :) The 2012 was very, very bitter.

Where have you been. This race has brought out a lot of nutters on Gamesbids. I don't think it was as bad on here as last time.

Uh-huh... Arrogant Frenchies vs. arrogant Brits... That was hard ;) Madrilenos shouting everywhere... americans just simply couldn't stand that NY had a weak bid... It was bitter, believe me :D

Well now, we have trolling Brazilians, not all though and the rest. While I would love to see Rio win it, I just can't help but hope that those brazillians don't get their way. I mean, can any imagine having them around for another seven years ... ? :mellow:

Immature overexcited Rio fanatics. Full stop.

Mo,

We have immature overexcited fanatics for all cities. I dislike them all.

Some of our reactions here as Rio supporters is to educate you about a city that you probably don't know anything or very little about. If you have ever been there, you have probably seen just a small side of it, as with most of the other tourist destinations in the world.

Besides some of the same feelings other have about the Brazilians here work the other way around on our side. MrCatra, for instance, came here to bash Rio's bid, but became so freaked out by some American arrogant comments here, that he spent more time fighting them. So, pay attention.

It's nasty because some people are overreacting about their chances. Every supporter here is nervous with tomorrow decision. Next week the tone should go down.

Mo,

We have immature overexcited fanatics for all cities. I dislike them all.

Some of our reactions here as Rio supporters is to educate you about a city that you probably don't know anything or very little about. If you have ever been there, you have probably seen just a small side of it, as with most of the other tourist destinations in the world.

Besides some of the same feelings other have about the Brazilians here work the other way around on our side. MrCatra, for instance, came here to bash Rio's bid, but became so freaked out by some American arrogant comments here, that he spent more time fighting them. So, pay attention.

It's nasty because some people are overreacting about their chances. Every supporter here is nervous with tomorrow decision. Next week the tone should go down.

Congrats Aluz! You've found a balanced reason... and the one I believe in.

The thing is that some here think "what these *****ng poor Brazilians and Latin Spanish are doing in this forum??? can't they see the Olympic moviment should always go to the same places??? to the English-speaking countries??? To where the money is (in reality, where it used to be)??????" That's the real problem.

Thorbr, you've been one of the worst on these forums for nasty, needless posts. You're proof that it's not just English speaking people on these forums causing problems.

Aluz, on the other hand, is one of the Rio supporters whose posts I enjoy reading. I hope he sticks around after the vote no matter who wins.

Why Is 2016 So Nasty?

There are numerous reasons why these forums are so nasty during the 2016 bid race.

Reason #1 - General passions of people debating/arguing about their bid city or who they support. This inevitable leads to nastiness.

Reason #2 - Rio's bid, and it being a contender, has brought lots of new Brazilian members out of the wood-work. Whilst not all Brazilian members are annoying, suffice to say that the most annoying members on these boards do seem to be Brazilian!

Just some thoughts!

I think it also has to do with demographics, last time for 2012, you had 3 european cities and one form the US

Now we have one from europe, one form asia, one from US, and one form south america

So there are different views/opinions and posters from these parts

Well now, we have trolling Brazilians, not all though and the rest. While I would love to see Rio win it, I just can't help but hope that those brazillians don't get their way. I mean, can any imagine having them around for another seven years ... ? :mellow:

If Rio loses, we will be here campaigning for Rio 2020 Then will be 11 years posting here...

And this is very true... Our Rio 2020 logo was already drawed as also ready our victory Rio 2016 banner...

Thorbr, you've been one of the worst on these forums for nasty, needless posts. You're proof that it's not just English speaking people on these forums causing problems.

Aluz, on the other hand, is one of the Rio supporters whose posts I enjoy reading. I hope he sticks around after the vote no matter who wins.

Thanks Rob, I'll probably stay, but that will depend on my workload situation. I enjoy participating here.

Is Rio bidding for 2020 if it loses?

Depend on many things...

A close defeat for Tokyo for example, Rio will come in 2020 stronger than ever...

If Chicago wins, Rio should wait for 2024, at least, since 2020 will be likely an European turn...

Depend on many things...

Depend on many things...

A close defeat for Tokyo for example, Rio will come in 2020 stronger than ever...

If Chicago wins, Rio should wait for 2024, at least, since 2020 will be likely an European turn...

Depend on many things...

2020 will probably be better for Rio. In 2024 there are rumours Paris will be bidding to commemorate 100 years since they last hosted.

In 2020 however, Rome is considering a bid.

Depend on many things...

Depend on many things...

Well You're stating that. It's unofficial.

One thing that will be a positive aspect if Rio is elected is the fact that at least they will stop bidding :) Because, as far as I know the BOC loves this stuff of bidding for SOG, and for a number of reasons. In this case, we will be the new Istambul.

Also, the fact that we have here some countrymates a little, ahem, 'enthusiastic' about Rio´s bid is the fact that they rely a lot on what part of the local media and the politicians are saying about Rio´s chances and the sentimental arguments "we are a beautiful city, we will solve all the problems with the Olympics, we deserve the Games" (and the list goes on and on...) without thinking about some of the well known problems that are so common here and, for me that is the most important point, didn´t change in the last 2 years, after the PanAm Games. And those problems start with the people involved on the bid, who doesn´t inspire me any trust.

Apparently, some people forget the reasonable arguments that the city need to be somewhat prepared for starting the process to bid on the SOG. I went to Madrid a couple of weeks ago and went to Chicago some years ago (well, a lot of years actually ;) ), and I think they are more prepared than Rio.

But, as everyone knows, there is always the 'radical supporters'.

Rominger,

How many cities Olympic Games transformed??? Barcelona, Seoul, Athens, Beijing...

How many cities PanAm Games transformed??? NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because PanAm were a small event 'til 2007.... Don't you remeber Santo Domingo 2nd division Olympic Stadium????

Cesar Maia (former mayor of Rio) filho da puta!!!

He made a lot of promises, stating PanAm would transform the city, now we have a lot of complain on it because of him and the bullshits he said during PanAms preparation!

Archived