China Will Vote For Rio

A newspaper today reports that China will vote for Rio tomorrow.

In fact recently there are many discussions on forums in China. Most Chinese people believe that a Rio Olympic will promote a turely globalization of the Olympic movement, and the IOC should give a chance to Brazil, just like the IOC gave a chance to China 8 years ago.

Tokyo ranked second on the supporting rate in China. Their major reason is "If Tokyo hosts tha Olympic then I don't need to wake up at night to watch the competitions".

This kind of thought will be present in all developing countries, since Brazil is the natural leader of this bloc...

Probably India, Mexico, Southeastern Asia, African members tend to follow China in this way of thinking...

First, China is never going to back a U.S. bid.

Second, the only reason L.A. hosted in '32 and '84 was that no other country would take the Games. The IOC gave them to Atlanta mainly because it was painfully obvious that no other city bidding was capable of hosting successfully at that time.

This kind of thought will be present in all developing countries, since Brazil is the natural leader of this bloc...

Probably India, Mexico, Southeastern Asia, African members tend to follow China in this way of thinking...

In fact at the beginning Tokyo won more support among the Chinese people. But later it seems that more and more ppl turned their support to Rio, after a lot of debates. One major argument is that Rio has hosted the 2007 Pan-Am Games and it proven to be a very successful one. It really cleaned up the biggest concern on the organizing ability of Rio.

And don't forget in China there is a always-big-fan of Rio, Macau, the only place in China where Portuguese is one of their official languages. So the interest of Barzil can be well-addressed by the Macanese in China.

First, China is never going to back a U.S. bid.

Second, the only reason L.A. hosted in '32 and '84 was that no other country would take the Games. The IOC gave them to Atlanta mainly because it was painfully obvious that no other city bidding was capable of hosting successfully at that time.

You are wrong. If you think "China is never going to back a US bid" then how can you explain a lot of ppl in China do support a Tokyo bid? Don't forget traditionally Japan is the biggest "emery" of China and until now Japan has not yet formally apologize for their war crime in China. Not to mention that the current mayor of Tokyo is a famous rightist.

US has hosted far too many Olympics. This is the reason.

You are wrong. If you think "China is never going to back a US bid" then how can you explain a lot of ppl in China do support a Tokyo bid? Don't forget traditionally Japan is the biggest "emery" of China and until now Japan has not yet formally apologize for their war crime in China. Not to mention that the current mayor of Tokyo is a famous rightist.

US has hosted far too many Olympics. This is the reason.

We all know that Tokyo is very unlikely to be chosen, so why not support it? I will not use the word "enemy" -- I think "rival" is more appropriate. There is no question that the Chinese consider the United States their biggest rivals -- certainly economically, but even athletically. That is why they band together with Russia to block the U.S. as often as possible. I am not talking about the Chinese people, mind you, I'm talking about the government. Say what you like, China will never back a U.S. Olympic bid.

I am not at all surprised that they are supporting Rio. I think it is very predictable.

We all know that Tokyo is very unlikely to be chosen, so why not support it? I will not use the word "enemy" -- I think "rival" is more appropriate. There is no question that the Chinese consider the United States their biggest rivals -- certainly economically, but even athletically. That is why they band together with Russia to block the U.S. as often as possible. I am not talking about the Chinese people, mind you, I'm talking about the government. Say what you like, China will never back a U.S. Olympic bid.

I am not at all surprised that they are supporting Rio. I think it is very predictable.

Oh yes thanks for your correction. "Rival".

In China generally speaking the people have very good impression on US, esp when they complain about our government they always cite US as an example (or model). The Chinese government may view US as the biggest rival, but certainly not the people. For many ppl if they have a choice they will be more then willing to be an US citizen rather than to stay in China...

The most common comment on the Chicago bid in China is like "Oh US again? I want something new...."

Oh yes thanks for your correction. "Rival".

In China generally speaking the people have very good impression on US, esp when they complain about our government they always cite US as an example (or model). The Chinese government may view US as the biggest rival, but certainly not the people. For many ppl if they have a choice they will be more then willing to be an US citizen rather than to stay in China...

The most common comment on the Chicago bid in China is like "Oh US again? I want something new...."

People around the world make this comment.

People around the world make this comment.

And of course, NONE of those people have a vote!

What the population of a country thinks about the next host, is pretty irrelevant. IOC members don't take that into consideration, and they don't really care either!

Incidentally, there is a reason the U.S. has hosted so much. You can't have an Olympic Games without the world. But you also can't have an Olympic Games without money and Americans have pumped more money into the Olympics than anyone else. People talk about money like it's a dirty word around here, but it's not. Without money, things collapse -- businesses, families, countries -- even sports festivals. The IOC needed the U.S. to host in '84 and '96. As many people have pointed out, the Olympics were on the verge of dying out after the financial troubles of Montreal and the politics of Moscow. LA stepped in and produced the most profitable Games to date -- creating a new model. It is because of LA '84 that the Olympics have grown instead of diminishing. Sponsorship, television rights -- all these things are necessary to keep the Olympics alive and vibrant.

I agree that there is definitely an argument to be made in Rio's behalf. I also agree that the economic landscape is continually changing and developing around the globe. But please accept that multiple U.S. hostings does not equal some kind of imperialistic tyranny. The U.S. has been a partner in the Olympic Movement -- helping the Games to succeed and grow. I am NOT saying that the IOC owes the U.S. the 2016 Games. I am saying that without the U.S. the Olympics might be radically different today. Before launching out on another tirade about self-centered, greedy Americans, you might want to at least factor these ideas into your rhetoric.

It is old news about China supporting Rio. Rio 2016 announced it a week or two ago when they said 20 IOC members have given their support.

I don't find it surprising, especially if they do not support Tokyo and the U.S. In one way though, with Bush showing up in Beijing, and the economic ties between us, it is not out of the question of Chinese supporting Chicago over Madrid.

Incidentally, there is a reason the U.S. has hosted so much. You can't have an Olympic Games without the world. But you also can't have an Olympic Games without money and Americans have pumped more money into the Olympics than anyone else. People talk about money like it's a dirty word around here, but it's not. Without money, things collapse -- businesses, families, countries -- even sports festivals. The IOC needed the U.S. to host in '84 and '96. As many people have pointed out, the Olympics were on the verge of dying out after the financial troubles of Montreal and the politics of Moscow. LA stepped in and produced the most profitable Games to date -- creating a new model. It is because of LA '84 that the Olympics have grown instead of diminishing. Sponsorship, television rights -- all these things are necessary to keep the Olympics alive and vibrant.

I agree that there is definitely an argument to be made in Rio's behalf. I also agree that the economic landscape is continually changing and developing around the globe. But please accept that multiple U.S. hostings does not equal some kind of imperialistic tyranny. The U.S. has been a partner in the Olympic Movement -- helping the Games to succeed and grow. I am NOT saying that the IOC owes the U.S. the 2016 Games. I am saying that without the U.S. the Olympics might be radically different today. Before launching out on another tirade about self-centered, greedy Americans, you might want to at least factor these ideas into your rhetoric.

One of the most interesting post I have read in all GB topics.

Yes, without money there are no games. Yes, US is a great - the greatest - IOC partner. No, IOC don't owe USA the Games, the same way the USA owe nothing to IOC.

By this time tomorrow these questions we have been discussing here will be senseless.

I hope, as a Rio supporter, the IOC will choose the new frontier argument. For the good of the games. Nothing against any bidding city. But for the perspective of the new frontier. I think each city has its strong and weak points. So, let the novelty come in.

And of course, NONE of those people have a vote!

What the population of a country thinks about the next host, is pretty irrelevant. IOC members don't take that into consideration, and they don't really care either!

I THINK probably, maybe, would, could, people around the world would say "USA really? again? Boring" if Chicago wins...

No doubt about this.

Indeed, regular people doesn't vote and IOC members are not commited with them... So... Let's wait and see...

Archived