Gamesbids Is Not An Honest Broker

"Madrid's Mayor, Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon told reporters Tuesday he felt more confident about Madrid's bid before meeting the IOC in Copenhagen than afterwards."

What?! I have read every interview, every article in the major Spanish newspapers, and Mayor Gallardon has NOT claimed to feel less confident after arriving in Copenhagen than before...in fact, he's made a point of expressing his growing confidence concerning Madrid (read El País, ABC, El Mundo for reports on the Madrid 2016 team).

This statement from the GB story is an assertion, not a quote. And it seems contradictory of everything I've read about and from Gallardon. Is this just a case of BAD translators? Or is it a case of favoritism? GamesBids has carried a story several days old about an expected turnout in Madrid of a massive public display of support for the bid ("la corazonada"). But it has not carried an updated story of the actual event that drew over 400,000 to the Plaza de Cibeles in the rain on Sunday, nor has it carried the aerial photos of the crowd forming the Madrid logo with colored placards.

In the meantime, while it notes the presence in Copenhagen of the opposition group NoGamesChicago, it has carried no investigative reports of the conflict of interests represented by Obama's top aide Valerie Jarrett, a renowned slumlord in charge of the Habitat real estate group in Chicago, and the properties controlled by her company which will be designated for demolition as part of the Olympic venue development in the marginal neighborhoods Chicago has designated for the Olympics. Ms. Jarrett will reap a windfall when the properties are cleared. In the meantime, she heads the White House office for Chicago 2016 liaison, previously was a top official of Chicago 2016 and is now smiling for the cameras in Copenhagen.

Like the song says: Nice work...if you can get it!

Gamesbids destroyed in two weeks its reputation of independent source...

That Ann-Marie thing and the unexpected BidIndex update one week after last update (before that BidIndex was not update for more than 6 months) shows the site choosed to support "Chicagão".

Sad, before that, this site was my main source and reference for my posts, it is not anymore.

Gamesbids destroyed in two weeks its reputation of independent source...

That Ann-Marie thing and the unexpected BidIndex update one week after last update (before that BidIndex was not update for more than 6 months) shows the site choosed to support "Chicagão".

Sad, before that, this site was my main source and reference for my posts, it is not anymore.

Yes, but part of its favortism is its promotion of Rio, don't you think? It's all Rio and Chicago here...

How many stories about Michelle Obama, Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey?...but like I said...not a single photo of the Corazonada. Or any independent reporting on the actual bids and the status of construction and financing in the bid cities. It's all second-hand and cherry-picked to push a storyline...Rio and Chicago, Rio and Chicago...

In the meantime, while it notes the presence in Copenhagen of the opposition group NoGamesChicago, it has carried no investigative reports of the conflict of interests represented by Obama's top aide Valerie Jarrett, a renowned slumlord in charge of the Habitat real estate group in Chicago, and the properties controlled by her company which will be designated for demolition as part of the Olympic venue development in the marginal neighborhoods Chicago has designated for the Olympics. Ms. Jarrett will reap a windfall when the properties are cleared. In the meantime, she heads the White House office for Chicago 2016 liaison, previously was a top official of Chicago 2016 and is now smiling for the cameras in Copenhagen.

Like the song says: Nice work...if you can get it!

Repeating the same points over and over and over again on every thread making you feel any more confident in your points, Madrith?

New Poll from Zogby (2 dings against them is that it's Zogby and it's commissioned by Chicago 2016 but the sample size is twice the Tribune poll and within the last few days):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-oly...0,5169299.story

The Chicago 2016 committee released a public opinion poll Tuesday showing strong support for its Olympic bid.

The poll, taken last week, indicated that 72 percent of Chicago area residents supported the bid. That contrasts with a Tribune/WGN poll taken in late August, which measured city residents only and showed that 47 percent of Chicagoans favored the bid and 45 percent opposed it.

The poll, conducted by Zogby International, surveyed 701 Chicago area residents.

About The Habitat Company (www.habitat.com)?

These are some of their "slum" projects:

lpt_2.jpg

museum1.jpg

ode.jpg

12071893.jpg

You're just being ridiculous.

A basic lesson the Republicans over here still haven't learned is - REPEATING A LIE DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE!!!

CHItown '16

Repeating the same points over and over and over again on every thread making you feel any more confident in your points, Madrith?

New Poll from Zogby (2 dings against them is that it's Zogby and it's commissioned by Chicago 2016 but the sample size is twice the Tribune poll and within the last few days):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-oly...0,5169299.story

About The Habitat Company (www.habitat.com)?

These are some of their "slum" projects:

lpt_2.jpg

museum1.jpg

ode.jpg

12071893.jpg

You're just being ridiculous.

A basic lesson the Republicans over here still haven't learned is - REPEATING A LIE DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE!!!

CHItown '16

You need to get YOUR facts straight: there may be a Habitat company that manages Lake Point Tower and the other buildings you paste, perhaps it's even the same one, but Valerie Jarrett was an executive of Habitat management, which has control of many properties that were deemed uninhabitable slums (q.v., The Boston Globe, not a conservative paper).

The support for the Chicago bid is weak in Chicago, and bid-team commissioned reports or polls won't change that. Opposition was bound to be strong because of the strong park/lakefront protection constituency in Chicago and maybe...because the city can't pay its employees and keep city owned facilities open...

You say repeating facts doesn't make them true...mmm...interesting logic, if the 'facts' are indeed facts. Now, drinking the Kool-Aid...that never made a fantasy real...

Quick study here...got the drift pretty easily after visiting the site a few times.

... and where had you been were we discussed the different bids over the last years?

The last few days before a decision our boards are full of newbies, who believe to know it all...

Stupid thread. The bid index update was because of Obama's announcement, which obviously boosts Chicago. The article was a mistake, but one that the site was lead to make by dishonest people. Stick around here for more than a week before you judge please.

I heart Madrith,

You're SO right that I just would like to happily cry right now :D GB and the anglophone posters would never have any idea of what you're exactly talking about because, as Rob recognised yesterday, none of them care at all about the bids that they not support... I've been following this forums since 2004 so I'm not a newbie and, YES, GB has always been biased and last weeks of the race this gets much clearer.

Boys, nevermind: very few of Madrid supporters have stated passionately that Madrid will win, because we are generally very aware of what will be happening tomorrow. But let me add that the ones that complained about this race for being too plain are also partially guilty about it: when someone starts to disregard a bid since moment zero, there's very little space for the discussion.

None of the fourth cities bidding but Madrid has had a 400,000 people event in order to support the candidacy... and we haven't found even a single word in GB. This is to be misled by the prejudices.

Cinderella,

where had you been over the last 5 years - why didn't you support Madrid's bid here?

I've been here, sorry! Not posted everyday for sure, but I've been supporting Madrid since moment zero. In the 2012 I was just an spectator. Look for my posts and you'll find it out.

... and where had you been were we discussed the different bids over the last years?

The last few days before a decision our boards are full of newbies, who believe to know it all...

Yea don't condemn something if you have been around for five minutes. Also the newbies have saturated the boards over the past week.

Yea don't condemn something if you have been around for five minutes. Also the newbies have saturated the boards over the past week.

That's definitely true. Too many know-it-all newbies.

And, a lot of oldies who think they know wverything!

That's definitely true. Too many know-it-all newbies.

And, a lot of oldies who think they know everything!

I wouldn't go so far as to call it deliberately biased, but it does not provide the same level of coverage for all bid cities. It is a North American site after all, so they probably get more ready access to American news and, if they get news from other countries they probably cannot translate them properly. so they are not run.

For instance, the day Obama said that he would come, there were three posts about it in their news bulletin. Yesterday, they issued a small note about the Madrid vs. Rio issue, when the story was much more complex, including an official apology by their committee, but with the actual person who said it confirming his view. The day before two news were posted for the smaller issue between Chicago and Rio.

There were posts about Oprah and Michele's dinner, but none on other bids. Since, I follow Brazilian websites as well, it's clear that they miss important statements and comments from other bids, not only Rio 2016, but also Tokyo and Madrid. I don't see at as a big deal, GB probably does not have a team big enough to be feeding them with news from all bid cities and countries.

Anyway, I also admit that they give much more coverage to anti-games people and groups in the US, than outside it.

Finally, in the ChicagoansForRio issue, they did not admit the mistake. They said that the guy did not come clean and that "there should be more to it". That could indicate some kind of preference.

Archived