History of the PanAms

This is primarily for Sampa and Mikel.  Here's the history of the Games.  Except for a few exceptions (as there always are -- and that's because a prospective South American host backs out primarily due to financial problems), the PanAms try to alternate between North and South America:

1951 - Buenos Aires

1955 - Mexico City

1959 - Chicago

1963 - Sao Paulo

1967 - Winnipeg

1971 - Cali, Columbia

1975 - Mexico City (again)

1979 - San Juan

1983 - Caracas

1987 - Indianapolis

1991 - Havana

1995 - Mar del Plata, Argentina

1999 - Winnipeg (again)

2003 - Sto. Domingo

2007 - Rio de Janeiro

2011 - so this should either be San Antonio or Guadalajara.

I'm surprised you'd miss Cuban wood.   :laughlong:

Anyway, I think San Antonio should get these games in 2011.  Maybe they could use their quick response to Katrina's victims as evidence of their ability to host big events.

That is IF San Antonio decides to bid for it.

I prefer Guadalajara- this Mexican city deserves it! :)  :laugh:

Like I said before, it seems that it is the only "declared" candidate for 2011 here so far.

Like I said before, it seems that it is the only "declared" candidate for 2011 here so far.

So- GO GUADALAJARA 2011!!!

It seems, also, to me that Canada doesn't like to host it. At least, Winnipeg is the only Canadian city even remotely interested in this kind of venture.

I'm surprised Santiago de Chile has never hosted.

Has there ever been a bid from Havana?

Santiago was awarded three times the PanAm:

*1975: Financial difficulties and political turmoil forced the organizers to withdraw. Sao Paulo, Brazil then was awarded the games, but was force to withdraw on 1974 due to financial problems and a meningitis outbreak, so Mexico City was named host city.

*1987: Santiago resigned after was named host of the Xth Pan American Games, due to the political and financial problems. Quito, Ecuador, was named to replace Santiago, but they withdrew too. PASO held a new election and Indianapolis beated Havana.

*1993: Santiago was named host of the II Winter PanAm, but the USOC said that they wouldn't participate. PASO postponed the Games but they have never been re-scheduled.

*1993: Santiago was named host of the II Winter PanAm, but the USOC said that they wouldn't participate. PASO postponed the Games but they have never been re-scheduled.

Ah yes, I remember reading that when I was researching Southern hemisphere Winter games bids. Big pity, it would have been a great demonstration of the ability for winter games to go down south. The first PanAm Winter games were in Las Lenas, Argentina, weren't they?

Ah yes, I remember reading that when I was researching Southern hemisphere Winter games bids. Big pity, it would have been a great demonstration of the ability for winter games to go down south. The first PanAm Winter games were in Las Lenas, Argentina, weren't they?

Yes... the only, in fact... but Las Leñas is a tiny place 500km south of Mendoza without important infraestructure... it is like the Games were hosted only by Portillo... I don't see Las Leñas hosting any kind of international games again... San Carlos de Bariloche seems like the only place where Argentina could host the Games, but Bariloche is too small (beatiful, but small)

Unfortunately, the Pan AM Games are a second rate competition to top American ahtlethes.

No one really cares; television coverage is non existant here in the USA :(

Unfortunately, the Pan AM Games are a second rate competition to top American ahtlethes.

No kidding. The USA sends to the Pan American Games "less known" athletes and still creams the competition at Games time with little effort so to speak.

:oops: Then they're like the Mediterranean Games... Where only "second-class" athletes go... :down:

Not necessarily true.  The USOC considers it quite important especially because it happens the year before the Summer Olympics -- so it can be a gauge of who the big names will be at the next Olympics.  Altho Cuba and Brazil are there, what's lacking though is stronger competition from the other sports powers: Russia, Germany, Australia, CHina, etc.  

But that's why they are the PanAms.

*1975: Financial difficulties and political turmoil forced the organizers to withdraw. Sao Paulo, Brazil then was awarded the games, but was force to withdraw on 1974 due to financial problems and a meningitis outbreak, so Mexico City was named host city.

*1987: Santiago resigned after was named host of the Xth Pan American Games, due to the political and financial problems. Quito, Ecuador, was named to replace Santiago, but they withdrew too. PASO held a new election and Indianapolis beated Havana.

Kratk .. it's interesting to note that Chile hasn't shown much real appetite to host the games in more recent years, despite the political and economic stability that it now enjoys. Any idea why that seems to be the case?

I can't believe that Chile believes itself to be less capable of hosting a great games that some of the countries that have already hosted, the infrastructure isn't in too bad a shape, and it could be a great stepping stone to a bigger prize (ie the first Latam SOG!!)

Kratk .. it's interesting to note that Chile hasn't shown much real appetite to host the games in more recent years, despite the political and economic stability that it now enjoys. Any idea why that seems to be the case?

I can't believe that Chile believes itself to be less capable of hosting a great games that some of the countries that have already hosted, the infrastructure isn't in too bad a shape, and it could be a great stepping stone to a bigger prize (ie the first Latam SOG!!)

Yes, I know... but I think it is a problem of mind... I think we still think we are a poor country in the south...

Santiago was awarded with the ODESUR 2006 after La Paz withdrew... but what did the government say? No, we don't want that the bolivians be angry with us... WHO CARES BOLIVIA!!!!!  :P

Anyway, I hope some day, our "leaders" will wake up and notice that Santiago, the city they want to make a "world-class city" hasn't hosted any international games since 1962.

Yes, I know... but I think it is a problem of mind... I think we still think we are a poor country in the south...

Santiago was awarded with the ODESUR 2006 after La Paz withdrew... but what did the government say? No, we don't want that the bolivians be angry with us... WHO CARES BOLIVIA!!!!!  :P

Anyway, I hope some day, our "leaders" will wake up and notice that Santiago, the city they want to make a "world-class city" hasn't hosted any international games since 1962.

:D La Paz more capable of hosting than Santiago? I think Santiago is the most modern city of Latinamerica (not counting Miami) and the more capable after Rio and Sao Paulo. Santiago has to host these Games! GO SANTIAGO 2015! :;):

Archived