Interesting Facts From Past Votes

Soaring

I thought it would be interesting if be post fun facts from past IOC votes for the Summer Olympics.

Please post facts that pertain to SOG voting or voting patterns only (which may be in the context of WOG). Otherwise it may become too convoluted.

I will start off...

1.) Only 3 out of the 15 past votes picked a city that did not win in the first round. (Montreal, Atlanta and Sydney came from behind to win).

2.) No European city won the final round that did not win the first round.

3.) 1966 - the last time only four candidate cities were in a SOG election. (Munich won in the 2nd round over Madrid, Montreal and Detroit)

4.) The U.S. has only won one SOG in voting (Atlanta 1996). Los Angeles 1932 & 1984 were because no other cities placed a bid, and Chicago was originally chosen for 1904, but it was transferred to St. Louis to coincide with the World’s Fair.

5.) No continent has received two straight victories since London 1948 and Helsinki 1952.

6.) Asia has never been selected less than 20 years apart.

7.) Every host has been selected for an even numbered year. :blink::P

I thought it would be interesting if be post fun facts from past IOC votes for the Summer Olympics.

Please post facts that pertain to SOG voting or voting patterns only (which may be in the context of WOG). Otherwise it may become too convoluted.

I will start off...

1.) Only 3 out of the 15 past votes picked a city that did not win in the first round. (Montreal, Atlanta and Sydney came from behind to win).

2.) No European city won the final round that did not win the first round.

3.) 1966 - the last time only four candidate cities were in a SOG election. (Munich won in the 2nd round over Madrid, Montreal and Detroit)

4.) The U.S. has only won one SOG in voting (Atlanta 1996). Los Angeles 1932 & 1984 were because no other cities placed a bid, and Chicago was originally chosen for 1904, but it was transferred to St. Louis to coincide with the World’s Fair.

5.) No continent has received two straight victories since London 1948 and Helsinki 1952.

6.) Asia has never been selected less than 20 years apart.

7.) Every host has been selected for an even numbered year. :blink::P

London won the first round???? I don't think so.

London won the 1st, but lost the 2nd. The rest is history. =]

Oh My God...

This is the argument for the choice of an American city for the Olympic Games for the 9th time and the Summer Games for the 5th time in 2016?

Hmmmm...

Oh My God...

This is the argument for the choice of an American city for the Olympic Games for the 9th time and the Summer Games for the 5th time in 2016?

Hmmmm...

I think you didn't understand the thread.

It is only a list of general interesting facts...

I think the first round will be fascinating. I will be very curious to see whether the trend holds true and the winner of the first round is announced as host city.

I also think it's significant to point out that multiple U.S. hostings have occurred because nobody else wanted the Games. It's not like we were stealing them from the rest of the world.

Fact: the 2016 race is the most geographically diverse vote ever...four cities from four continents are in the running: North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.

Fact: No host city voting session of the IOC has ever been held in South America, Australia, or Africa and the first and only voting session ever held in North America was in Guatemala in 2007 to decide the host of the 2014 Winter Olympics. The only IOC sessions held outside of Europe and Asia were during the Olympic Games at the host city.

Fact: Paris and Berlin are the only cities to have been named Olympic hosting rights in their own city. Paris was awarded the 1900 Games in Paris in 1894. Berlin was awarded the 1936 Games in Berlin in 1931.

Fact: The two closest decisions ever sent the Olympic to Australia. Melbourne defeated Buenos Aires by one vote for the 1956 Olympics. Sydney defeated Beijing by two votes for the 2000 Games.

Fact: All of the four finalists for the 2016 Games have bid before, but only one (Rio de Janeiro) has never properly faced a voting session of the IOC. Rio did bid for the 1936 Games, but the only records available show a vote between Berlin and Barcelona.

Fact: Chicago last faced the IOC in 1949 when it got one single vote for the 1956 Olympics.

Fact: Madrid last faced the IOC in 1966 when it lost the 1972 Olympics to Munich.

Fact: If Tokyo wins this race, it will be the third time the city was named Olympic host. They hosted in 1964 and were originally slated to host the 1940 Olympics, those games first moved to Helsinki following Japan's war with China and then ultimately canceled when the war in Europe blew up.

Fact: London has been named Olympic host a record four times, but was only elected twice. Most recently, of course was in a final round win over Paris for the 2012 Games. Prior to that, the city won the right to host the 1944 Olympics. Those Games were canceled by WW2 and London was simply named host of the 1948 Games when the war ended. London's first announcement as Olympic host came in 1906 as a replacement for Rome, following Italy's resignation after a major volcanic eruption in Naples.

Fact: Los Angeles hosted two Olympics and for both, ran unopposed.

Oh my God, stirthesoul is patetic...

...and desesperate.

Realy.

I don't want to play like him posting some "beautiful" pic from Chicago's south side.

Chicago's south side seem too dangerous like Complexo do Alemão or Morro do Borel.

There's a war of gangs there too.

If you want to see google it lol

Oh my God, stirthesoul is patetic...

...and desesperate.

I'm sorry but I love Chicago and you guys are just relentlessly bitchy about everything.

I'm really not desperate......

If I could choose this minute, I would say go ahead and take 2016 to Rio.

Just a reminder: the topic is "INTERESTING FACTS FROM PAST VOTES." If you are going to insist on having these nasty arguments, at least have them in a thread where they make sense.
Well, there's an interesting fact for you! Certain bids cause incredibly exasperating discussions anytime, anywhere! I can't believe people are at it again. I'm a newbie and all, but how is this forum like in the time gaps between host selection years? :blink:

Oh, yeah, a trivia.

FACT: Even with the games not being held, every Olympiad has recieved at least one bid for either Summer and/or Winter (the only exception: no one bid for the 1940 winter olympics) .

Fact: Madrid last faced the IOC in 1966 when it lost the 1972 Olympics to Munich.

Um, wasn't Madrid a candidate for 2012? I guess finishing 3rd doesn't count? :)

Just a reminder: the topic is "INTERESTING FACTS FROM PAST VOTES." If you are going to insist on having these nasty arguments, at least have them in a thread where they make sense.

Who always lead it off topic in any way possible to critisize the rich, big, huge, greedy, Americans?

Every thread leads there, guess people are threatened. So be it.

Seriously, give it to RIO, why not, I'm feeling less attached by the minute.

agree with u dude, many members can't keep the focus and concistency. Many of them miss their own point.

Who always lead it off topic in any way possible to critisize the rich, big, huge, greedy, Americans?

Every thread leads there, guess people are threatened. So be it.

Seriously, give it to RIO, why not, I'm feeling less attached by the minute.

Ridiculous statement, stirthesoul.

Snarky comments between partisans on both sides (including those initiated by yourself) are no reason to change sides. Really, GB members usually have very little to do with what is actually happening or likely to happen in Copenhagen.

CHItown '16

Ridiculous statement, stirthesoul.

Snarky comments between partisans on both sides (including those initiated by yourself) are no reason to change sides. Really, GB members usually have very little to do with what is actually happening or likely to happen in Copenhagen.

CHItown '16

I certainly don't think an unrestricted blog will be influential to anyone.

I live in Chicago about 1/4 of the time, and I'd like to see the Olympics there, it would be great for the city, the kids, the south side, BUT........

I'm now questioning whether it is worth the harassment, and future resentment.

Give it to RIO, it'll be fun to watch.

Archived