Is Rio Still The Favourite In Overall Analysis?

Aluz, and I was in Rio during the PanAm Games... Everything was just fine... My family also commented that Rio needed to be like that PanAm days (security).

I commented to my wife. The organization of the venues, signing, maps, stuff remembered me of USA-Orlando...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aluz, and I was in Rio during the PanAm Games... Everything was just fine... My family also commented that Rio needed to be like that PanAm days (security).

I commented to my wife. The organization of the venues, signing, maps, stuff remembered me of USA-Orlando...

I was there too - still lived there, moved out last year. I have attended volleyball, basketball and gymnasts. I was said not to find tickets for the swimming events. I was also in Engenhao once, not during the PanAm, to watch a match and it's perfect to go there by train. The station is very well maintained. Unfortunately I went by car and there was not enough parking spaces around the area.

Danny --

I think I owe you an apology. Something just struck me...

I was in Athens for the Olympics in 2004. It was one of the highlights of my life. I fell in love with the city and its people. I thought the Games were absolutely stunning. From my perspective, the organization was flawless. 2 complaints: the plants had no time to grow because they went in so late, and the food at the venues was terrible. Otherwise it was magnificent -- I just wish more people had gone to Athens to enjoy the Games. (Of course all the talk of unreadiness, terrorism, etc. put a damper on this and that was tragic.)

When people say negative things about Athens, I get very defensive because it was such a special experience for me. I'm sure there were things that could have been improved upon, but those Olympics were a delight to my soul. I don't appreciate it when people belittle the ceremonies or various aspects of the organization.

Perhaps your experience of the Pan Ams was similar to my experience of Athens. Perhaps it was a truly wonderful thing for you and me pointing out flaws just detracts from what you experience as a glowing memory. I do not mean to belittle your experience. I am sorry if I have done so. I just meant to highlight that there have been reports from people who had different experiences.

I know how frustrating it is when someone seems to tear apart something that you treasure. Please forgive me -- that was not my intention.

Lol @ Danny . Wasn't he leaving Games Bids ? hahahaha . Such an attention whore. He'll stay here until Friday, then he'll be forced to leave , he won't handle when REALITY destroy his wishful thinkings about Rio ;)

Today I'm gonna buy some fireworks in order to celebrate the results tomorrow. Dear Danny, do you live at Jabaquara ? If you hear explosions in the sky by 1.30 pm , be sure it's me celebrating the fall of Rio's aspirations :D

Its so unfair to say that Rio only has a chance because its in South America.

That's so wrong.

Rio has worked hard, and has a workable plan, with the obvious risks. It has magnificent setting that could be the next Barcelona in terms of memorable games. I believe by hosting it will contribute quite a lot to the ideals of Olympism and universality.

Lol @ Danny . Wasn't he leaving Games Bids ? hahahaha . Such an attention whore. He'll stay here until Friday, then he'll be forced to leave , he won't handle when REALITY destroy his wishful thinkings about Rio ;)

Today I'm gonna buy some fireworks in order to celebrate the results tomorrow. Dear Danny, do you live at Jabaquara ? If you hear explosions in the sky by 1.30 pm , be sure it's me celebrating the fall of Rio's aspirations :D

OMG, you're so much ENVIOUS about the Rio bid and also so much AFRAID that it may win... :blink::blink::blink:

Its so unfair to say that Rio only has a chance because its in South America.

That's so wrong.

Rio has worked hard, and has a workable plan, with the obvious risks. It has magnificent setting that could be the next Barcelona in terms of memorable games. I believe by hosting it will contribute quite a lot to the ideals of Olympism and universality.

Mo, I'm not saying that Rio doesn't have strengths and I am certainly not saying that they haven't worked hard. I'm just saying that if Rio weren't located in South America, it would not be one of the favorites. The other strengths of the bid are not enough to cause it to outshine the others. The "new frontier" card is the ace.

Mo, I'm not saying that Rio doesn't have strengths and I am certainly not saying that they haven't worked hard. I'm just saying that if Rio weren't located in South America, it would not be one of the favorites. The other strengths of the bid are not enough to cause it to outshine the others. The "new frontier" card is the ace.

I agree!

If you took Rio's bid and removed it from it's geographical location (South America), then the bid would be getting less support as people would focus on the intrinsic quality of the bid. On the basis of it's technical merit', Rio's bid is weaker than Madrid, Tokyo and Chicago's. So, Rio's biggest 'ace' is it's "no South American city has hosted". The fact that it has an adequate bid may be the justification that the IOC needs to award South America the games.

I agree!

If you took Rio's bid and removed it from it's geographical location (South America), then the bid would be getting less support as people would focus on the intrinsic quality of the bid. On the basis of it's technical merit', Rio's bid is weaker than Madrid, Tokyo and Chicago's. So, Rio's biggest 'ace' is it's "no South American city has hosted". The fact that it has an adequate bid may be the justification that the IOC needs to award South America the games.

the thing is... RIO is in South America!!! What u gonna do about it?

I'll be at my job, in Berrini zone, at this time...

I pass through Jabaquara every day since I, actually, live in Santos and work in Sao Paulo.

I told you were right I can't resist to discuss here, pau podre...

And about your fireworks, no surprise... Typical from paulistas...

But if Rio wins, you can spend your fireworks in some soccer winning (maximum glory of Sao Paulo city in sports)...

Athensfan, don't worry, food at PanAm Games in Rio was just terrible too.

It was a wonderful experience for many that attendend the games in Rio. It was magical for many athletes, maybe not for those high-level used to attend european events, but sure for those that never played in such kind of event (many from Caribbean, Central and South America).

I remebered the day I watched Brazil vs. Ecuador (Ecuador won) in Maracana with 80,000 attendance. Children, families, tourists with Brazilian flags... It was amazing.

This makes me wants some Olympic Games in Rio. I want to have a bigger revival of this in my city...

May I say something else??? I just loved Athens 2004. Everything was so magical for me too (I only watched by TV). Great scenery, great places... I really understand what you felt there. I wish I were there...

the thing is... RIO is in South America!!! What u gonna do about it?

Are you unable to understand the points myself and Athensfan were making?

Here it is again for you (please pay attention or you'll get a detention :P !):

Rio's bid is technically the weakest of the four bid cities. It still has a good bid however. Where it's strength lies is the fact that it is a South American city and this is it's ace card. Imagine if Madrid proposed Rio's bid hypothetically - they would not win as the bid would be scrutinized and seen to be flawed. But Rio's technical flaws are being played down because it is in South America.

Hence, if Rio wins it will not be because it has the best technical bid but because 'intangible' factors will weigh in their favour - namely, the "no South American city has hosted card".

We're just pointing this out!

Are you unable to understand the points myself and Athensfan were making?

Here it is again for you (please pay attention or you'll get a detention :P !):

Rio's bid is technically the weakest of the four bid cities. It still has a good bid however. Where it's strength lies is the fact that it is a South American city and this is it's ace card. Imagine if Madrid proposed Rio's bid hypothetically - they would not win as the bid would be scrutinized and seen to be flawed. But Rio's technical flaws are being played down because it is in South America.

Hence, if Rio wins it will not be because it has the best technical bid but because 'intangible' factors will weigh in their favour - namely, the "no South American city has hosted card".

We're just pointing this out!

it's cool, everyone has their own opinions, and I somewhat agree with you.

Now, if this "South America has never hosted" is getting annoying, in 2020 we'll be having Rio and Cape Town screaming for it. =[

Now, if this "South America has never hosted" is getting annoying, in 2020 we'll be having Rio and Cape Town screaming for it. =[

if rio loses of course. And if a rio victory I don't think CApe should bid, maybe just to Get exprience.

Cool!

In some regards I think it would be highly entertaining if Rio's supporters argue with Cape Town's. Imagine the bitching there! It would be like an episode of Jerry Springer:

Rio supporter: "We deserva tha games becausa we ina Southa America...."

Cape Town supporter: "Oh no, that is not true, we in Africa deserve games more than South America....."

Cool!

In some regards I think it would be highly entertaining if Rio's supporters argue with Cape Town's. Imagine the bitching there! It would be like an episode of Jerry Springer:

Rio supporter: "We deserva tha games becausa we ina Southa America...."

Cape Town supporter: "Oh no, that is not true, we in Africa deserve games more than South America....."

Don't forget Doha, they probably will try again...

Doha is never going to be able to get around the heat while staying in the IOC's calendar window.

I don't think Doha like Baku would ever get the games. It's not required but nowadays only internationally known cities would be getting them..

Archived