Chicago Olympics Protest Ends In Arrests

A protest Tuesday night in Daley Plaza against Chicago's bid to host the 2016 Olympics resulted in at least six arrests after some tried to mess with city workers trying to hang an Olympic banner on the Picasso statue, according to news reports.

You've got to wonder if this will have any impact at all on the bid, and if so, what. Also, with the news going on in the other host communities it's hard to handicap which city has the worst chances. CBS rolled tape tonight but has yet to post it on their site.

We've put together a photo gallery of the fracas, which may cost the six arrested a good bit of time in jail, both for possible battery of a cop and property damage. The "vandals" pulled down an expensive banner and damaged it with a veteran's memorial in the plaza, according to the reports. No word yet on the No Games site.

A protest Tuesday night in Daley Plaza against Chicago's bid to host the 2016 Olympics resulted in at least six arrests after some tried to mess with city workers trying to hang an Olympic banner on the Picasso statue, according to news reports.

You've got to wonder if this will have any impact at all on the bid, and if so, what. Also, with the news going on in the other host communities it's hard to handicap which city has the worst chances. CBS rolled tape tonight but has yet to post it on their site.

We've put together a photo gallery of the fracas, which may cost the six arrested a good bit of time in jail, both for possible battery of a cop and property damage. The "vandals" pulled down an expensive banner and damaged it with a veteran's memorial in the plaza, according to the reports. No word yet on the No Games site.

Video here.... http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/...r-62760427.html

Hope they enjoy jail time!

Yeah.

We have six obnoxious people in the city.

The other 2 million of us are alright.

CHItown '16

I was there - happened to be - and believe me it was around 100 people, you can see my low quality pics in the below link. Most of them seemed to be there because they had nothing else to do, my feeling may be wrong though.

http://img15.yfrog.com/slideshow/webplayer...d=img0387gz.jpg

You can see how causually people were walking by, and from the last pic, that there weren't that many protesters.

It's a sign of a strong, working democracy Danny ;)

I think this race, actually, has been remarakably quiet in terms of protests. None of the cities, therefore, should have the tiny amount of local dissent (of which there is some in all of the cities, some Brazilians on here aren't convinced about Rio 2016 I've noticed) held against them.

It's a sign of a strong, working democracy Danny ;)

I think this race, actually, has been remarakably quiet in terms of protests. None of the cities, therefore, should have the tiny amount of local dissent (of which there is some in all of the cities, some Brazilians on here aren't convinced about Rio 2016 I've noticed) held against them.

It was a sign of a strong and working police...

As we say in Brazil, "o pau comeu"... (hard to be translated, but something like "they've fought" in a informal way)

No, that's not clear at all. This protest was tiny. There were 6 arrests. The latest polls have well over 70% supporting the Olympics in Chicago.

You complain to high heaven when people twist stories about Rio to fit their own agenda but you're doing the same here to Chicago Cauê. <_<

Exactly. Half a dozen idiots in a protest which, from the pictures I've seen, only consisted of about 100 people anyway. What a joke!

This will have no impact whatsoever on the IOC's decision. It's barely even news.

Thats exactly right. Every bidding city has some who dont agree with hosting the games.

No, that's not clear at all. This protest was tiny. There were 6 arrests. The latest polls have well over 70% supporting the Olympics in Chicago.

You complain to high heaven when people twist stories about Rio to fit their own agenda but you're doing the same here to Chicago Cauê. <_<

RobH, only Forty Seven Per Cent Support The Bid While 45 Per Cent Oppose:

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/...1216134682.html

Numbers of Chicago Tribune.

:rolleyes:

Whatever, those poll results are the only ones with numbers that low. Interesting that you choose that poll rather than the dozens of other polls which have support for Chicago at over 70%. The truth is, your post at the top of this page twisted this story to fit your agenda - you said that people of Chicago clearly don't want the games. That's not true.

You can't complain when other people twist stories about Rio now. They'll only be doing what you've done here.

Archived