Madrid 2016 Official: Rio Has Worst Olympics Bid

Madrid have great advantages in some things that undeniable...

As the other bids have their advantages too.

But "Safer choice", "best bid" stuff seems arrogance... And it will seem arrogance forever...

Madrid does have a safer bid Danny. That's a fact!

Madrid also has the best 'technical bid' too.

Danny, that is not arrogant. It is arrogant of some Brazilian members to suggest that Rio is as technically accomplished as Madrid.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't say Madrid is the safer bid at all.

How is the economy in Spain now-a-days?

How much time will they need to recover their economy???

Madrid NOW is economically the riskiest bid.

This is the part I don't understand coming from Rio backers.

Relatively speaking, the Spanish, US, and Japanese economies aren't doing as well as they have historically on a relative basis when you compare them to Brazil.

The key here being "on a relative basis". They still are economically safer bets than Brazil. If they weren't then the cost of borrowing in Brazil for things like construction, capital improvements, etc would be a lot lower than any of the other three places, and it is not.

No it isn't.

-Madrid' venues are nearly built - they could host the 2012 games(that's how ready they are).

-Madrid and Spain has less social woes than Rio which has an appalling crime rate. Madrid is safer in this sense too.

-Madrid's financial status is guaranteed by the government and over 60% sponsorship money is secured too.

Danny, Madrid has the safest bid out of all of them.

- So does Rio. Few new venues need to be built. Most of them are in place to host the games next week.

- What social woes have to do with the discussion? Will poor make the broadcasting uglier? Crime rate in Rio is high, have been addressed but it's still a concern for Rio bid. Nobody denied it.

- Brazil approved a fund of USD 240 bn for the Olympic Games. The check was already signed - Rio is economically the safer choice.

Madrid can be the safest bid... Rio is not too behind as you said. And Madrid is in Europe.

This is the part I don't understand coming from Rio backers.

Relatively speaking, the Spanish, US, and Japanese economies aren't doing as well as they have historically on a relative basis when you compare them to Brazil.

The key here being "on a relative basis". They still are economically safer bets than Brazil. If they weren't then the cost of borrowing in Brazil for things like construction, capital improvements, etc would be a lot lower than any of the other three places, and it is not.

At this stage of the game, all reality and logic is thrown out the window. It's PURE adrenaline from hereon.

From the best technically bid in the IOC repport:

"Madrid 2016’s plans for the construction of the rowing,

canoe/kayak flat-water and open water swimming venue

would involve the demolition and rebuilding of a 6-lane

bridge over the course which the Commission feels would

result in significant operational and financial challenges."

"The proposal to adapt the 65,000 capacity Olympic Stadium

from football to athletics would present design and construction

issues which the Commission feels had not been

considered."

"While the UCI has approved the site of the BMX venue, the

Commission feels there would need to be further consultation

in regard to the specific venue plans, given the size

of the site."

RobH, what starts us is the fact that a lot of supporters place Rio as worst bid and Madri as best, and on that, we will try to prove that we are superior. That's how we are. Passionals 'till the end.

I agree with you that Rio is not the best. And all considered, Madri might honestly be safest than Rio, if considered only technical aspects. But this is a static picture of the present of the two bids, and not an indication of the future capacity. Madri has serious flags about the ability of getting along with the plans, while Rio is inserted on Brazil's economy, wich is walking to be the 5th greatest in 2020 (just around the corner!).

I am not defending Rio as safest, but as better/worse than Madri. I am not also saying Rio's is the best. i do believe Rio deserve it, that it's Rio's time, and I know I am being passional also about it. And i will love to discuss aspects of all this with you.

From the best technically bid in the IOC repport:

"Madrid 2016’s plans for the construction of the rowing,

canoe/kayak flat-water and open water swimming venue

would involve the demolition and rebuilding of a 6-lane

bridge over the course which the Commission feels would

result in significant operational and financial challenges."

"The proposal to adapt the 65,000 capacity Olympic Stadium

from football to athletics would present design and construction

issues which the Commission feels had not been

considered."

"While the UCI has approved the site of the BMX venue, the

Commission feels there would need to be further consultation

in regard to the specific venue plans, given the size

of the site."

Bezzi,

No-one is saying Madrid is perfect but compared to Rio, Madrid has a technically superior bid.Go and post the stuff about Rio too then to be fair.

Bezzi, compare Madrids roads, railways, mass transit systems, venues, hotels, layout etc and Madrid comprehensively beats Rio.

Rio's strengths lie elsewhere.

RobH, what starts us is the fact that a lot of supporters place Rio as worst bid and Madri as best, and on that, we will try to prove that we are superior. That's how we are. Passionals 'till the end.

I agree with you that Rio is not the best. And all considered, Madri might honestly be safest than Rio, if considered only technical aspects. But this is a static picture of the present of the two bids, and not an indication of the future capacity. Madri has serious flags about the ability of getting along with the plans, while Rio is inserted on Brazil's economy, wich is walking to be the 5th greatest in 2020 (just around the corner!).

I am not defending Rio as safest, but as better/worse than Madri. I am not also saying Rio's is the best. i do believe Rio deserve it, that it's Rio's time, and I know I am being passional also about it. And i will love to discuss aspects of all this with you.

So, why are you nit-picking my posts when I have said the same thing about Madrid/Rio?

Just because someone is not in love with Rio's bid does not mean that you should dismiss their valid points.

The only point I have made in this thread is that Madrid has the safest bid -FACT, and it also has the most technically advanced. That was all. I wasn't attacking Rio and if you bothered to read my posts you would see how I explicitly sated that Rio is more than capable of hosting the games too.

Overall Madrid has a really strong bid, technically saying.

But even so, everyone knows that tech is not the only thing the IOC looks on a bid, right?

Madrid: Strong technical bid, strong public support, but I see little legacy though...

Tokyo: Strong technical bid, tiny public support (IMO that's what liquidates Tokyo2016)

Chicago: Good bid, good public support.

Rio: Good bid, Strong public support, strong legacy plan (social, environment...)

People, you got to see that sometimes the masterplan for Madrid would not be the best one if implemented in Chicago, for example, each city got it own particularities.

I think that the bids fit well for the city they are representing.

The great thing about this "competition" is that the four cities represent 4 totally different views for the IOC, IMO this voting will be a clear message to the world on how the IOC stands for today.

They still are economically safer bets than Brazil. If they weren't then the cost of borrowing in Brazil for things like construction, capital improvements, etc would be a lot lower than any of the other three places, and it is not.

tell me, unemployment rates in USA, Japan and Spain and then compare to Brazil's

tell me, how much money did these governments spent with the crisis to rescue the ECONOMY... USA for example spent USD 2 trillion... Brazil??? None (Brazil borrowed money that have been payed back)

tell me, GDP for 2009? Brazil left recession in may... USA, Japan and Spain should fight recession for a year, AT LEAST...

tell me, how is the financial for new housing in USA, Japan and Spain... Brazil is living a housing booming again.

tell me, which currency gained more against dollar in the world? Brazilian Real. Which stock exchange had the biggest valuation in the last 2 years? Brazil Bovespa...

tell me, who is the only country to get Investment grade in the middle of crisis? Brazil!!! And now rating agencies are studying to put Brazil in Risk Zero grade...

Really? Economics in Brazil, now-a-days are pretty much healthier than the other bids...

Madrid: Strong technical bid, strong public support, but I see little legacy though...

Tokyo: Strong technical bid, tiny public support (IMO that's what liquidates Tokyo2016)

Chicago: Good bid, good public support.

Rio: Good bid, Strong public support, strong legacy plan (social, environment...)

great analysis...

In this complete overall Rio is not too behind of Madrid... Maybe tied...

tell me, unemployment rates in USA, Japan and Spain and then compare to Brazil's

tell me, how much money did these governments spent with the crisis to rescue the ECONOMY... USA for example spent USD 2 trillion... Brazil??? None (Brazil borrowed money that have been payed back)

tell me, GDP for 2009? Brazil left recession in may... USA, Japan and Spain should fight recession for a year, AT LEAST...

tell me, how is the financial for new housing in USA, Japan and Spain... Brazil is living a housing booming again.

tell me, which currency gained more against dollar in the world? Brazilian Real. Which stock exchange had the biggest valuation in the last 2 years? Brazil Bovespa...

tell me, who is the only country to get Investment grade in the middle of crisis? Brazil!!! And now rating agencies are studying to put Brazil in Risk Zero grade...

Really? Economics in Brazil, now-a-days are pretty much healthier than the other bids...

Brazil's economy is growing as it is a developing country now reaching it's potential.

Spain, Japan and the USA are developed countries hence why growth in their economies is smaller relatively speaking.

Danny, you are ranting as if Brazil is the world's economic superpower! Do you seriously think Brazil's economy is superior to the other countries at present?

Tell me Danny, how does Brazil's poverty rate compare to the other countries? Since you want comparisons!

great analysis...

In this complete overall Rio is not too behind of Madrid... Maybe tied...

Overall, taking everything into account, Rio is ahead of Madrid by some margin. On technical factors alone it's behind Madrid though. This proves how important other non-technical factors are and Rio has these in abundance :)

It stands a much, much better chance of winning than Madrid, which is why I suspect the "worst bid" comment was made in the first place. Madrid wants to focus on the technical, where it is ahead, but it's done so in the worst possible way.

So, why are you nit-picking my posts when I have said the same thing about Madrid/Rio?

Just because someone is not in love with Rio's bid does not mean that you should dismiss their valid points.

The only point I have made in this thread is that Madrid has the safest bid -FACT, and it also has the most technically advanced. That was all. I wasn't attacking Rio and if you bothered to read my posts you would see how I explicitly sated that Rio is more than capable of hosting the games too.

Safest sometimes means that is full-safe... and it's far from be the full-safe bid... Madrid have huge challenges, included technically...

maybe this is the point of discussion...

For us, Brazilians, the word "seguro" - safe or safer "a mais segura" in both cases will means completely safe...

What do you guys Brazilian thinks??? Maybe it's a semantic problem...

Well, our GINI's is very near of USA's one... And getting lower while USA's grows...

Meanwhile our HDI never decreased, we have already reach high developed numbers 0,810s and tends to grew faster...

But, Oaky, I will not discuss poverty numbers with you again, because in this discussion, you know more about Brazil than me, so I have nothing to discuss with you.

Madrid isn't getting desperate!

It's stating the truth - Rio's bid is the worst but due to sentimentality it is getting strong support!

THIS is why i am nit-picking your posts, Oaki.

You are not being technical, rational or fair. You clearly said that Rio has the worst bid, so review your comments before tyring to defend yourself.

RobH was direct, fair and clear, without the need to bash Rio's bid.

Point taken?

THIS is why i am nit-picking your posts, Oaki.

You are not being technical, rational or fair. You clearly said that Rio has the worst bid, so review your comments before tyring to defend yourself.

RobH was direct, fair and clear, without the need to bash Rio's bid.

Point taken?

Patsy, stop quoting me and misconstruing my words!

I said Madrid has the worst bid TECHNICALLY. I was agreeing with the point that Jose Maria Odriozola made when he criticized Rio's bid.

I have also pointed out explicitly that when I talk about best bid etc I am referring to technical reasoning.

So sweetheart, get your facts straight. Since joining this forum you seem obsessed with quoting me.

Her are my views for your perusal once and for all.

I believe Madrid has the safest bid, technically most accomplished bid and I agree with the views of Jose Maria Odriozola.

Patsy, is it OK for me to disagree with you?

I can't say Madrid is the safer bid at all.

How is the economy in Spain now-a-days?

How much time will they need to recover their economy???

Madrid NOW is economically the riskiest bid.

Ok, c'mon... Are you serious? You have even an APPROXIMATE idea of how much will Rio's budget overrun if awarded? At least Madrid has very fewer risks that your city regarding to unexpected issues. You don't know exactly what you're talking about.

Archived