Madrid 2016 Official: Rio Has Worst Olympics Bid

Soaring

Interesting headlines coming from Madrid 2016. Do they want to lose, or any they trying to garner sympathy votes? These reports are contrary to what Samaranch Jr. has been touting.

Madrid 2016 official: Rio has worst Olympics bid

September 30, 2009

MADRID (AP) — A Madrid 2016 Olympics bid official has reportedly labeled rival Rio de Janeiro's bid the "worst" of the four cities competing for the right to host the games.

Spanish Olympic Committee vice president Jose Maria Odriozola called Rio "the worst bid" according to Spanish news agency Efe on Wednesday.

Odriozola said Rio's standing as one of the favorites for Friday's vote comes down to marketing and sentimentality and security remains an issue.

"At this point, the IOC is not going to risk it and take the Games to a site where it doesn't have total confidence that it can be done well," said Odriozola, who is also president of the Spanish athletics federation.

Madrid is also competing against Chicago and Tokyo for the right to host the 2016 Summer Games.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/20...216501805_x.htm

-

Madrid mayor ‘less confident’ about Olympic bid

September 30, 2009

MADRID’S mayor has said he felt more confident about the city’s Olympic bid before meeting the Committee in Copenhagen than afterwards.

Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón told reporters yesterday that he felt a little nervous when presenting his city to the judges in the Danish capital.

But the mayor stresses that Madrid has ‘very favourable circumstances’ that could swing the vote in its favour.

“We have the best product and we have generated a scenario where the evaluation of the product’s quality will be a determining factor,” states Ruiz-Gallardón.

He claims to have ‘many hunches’ about the Spanish capital’s chances, but did not want to go into detail for fear of tempting fate.

Madrid’s mayor is also anxious about what he calls the ‘Obama effect’, which could mean Chicago wins more votes.

But this remains to be seen, with Chicago and Río de Janeiro having locked horns over the latter’s mayor’s having heavily criticised the Brazilian city.

The final decision as to where the 2016 Olympics will be held takes place this Friday.

http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/17128...out-olympic-bid

-

It would be wiser and cheaper not to run instead of issuing such a clumsy comment.

What makes it even more stupid, is doing it one day after the Rio Committee complained about Daley's interview.

I can imagine the people that Samaranch has fought so hard to get on his side calling him and saying: "What the hell is that?".

Interesting headlines coming from Madrid 2016. Do they want to lose, or any they trying to garner sympathy votes? These reports are contrary to what Samaranch Jr. has been touting.

-

-

I'm sorry but... why the headline says "less confident" and the article "more confident". Am I losing something or is it a contradiction?

But this remains to be seen, with Chicago and Río de Janeiro having locked horns over the latter’s mayor’s having heavily criticised the Brazilian city.

The only thing that was reported in the complaint was "The Olympics Isn't Like the World Cup" - a rather self evident observation and shouldn't have been controversial to anyone who wasn't looking for controversy.

Also, aren't Madrid 2016 and Rio 2016 supposed to be in an alliance? If one drops, the other is supposed to support it?

CHItown '16

I'm sorry but... why the headline says "less confident" and the article "more confident". Am I losing something or is it a contradiction?

One article describes a direct attack on another bid, which violates the IOC ethics code. The other gives away that one of the heads of the bid is kind of giving up. So, both show signs of desperation and are losing attitudes.

The only thing that was reported in the complaint was "The Olympics Isn't Like the World Cup" - a rather self evident observation and shouldn't have been controversial to anyone who wasn't looking for controversy.

Also, aren't Madrid 2016 and Rio 2016 supposed to be in an alliance? If one drops, the other is supposed to support it?

CHItown '16

But it is not up to him to analyze other cities bids in public. The IOC names the EC for that job and it was done a month ago. There is a rule not to talk about other cities bids.

For instance, every time anyone from the press asked about the Obama presence to a Rio team member, he or she got a reply about Lula. That means, I am not going to comment on other bids businesses.

One article describes a direct attack on another bid, which violates the IOC ethics code. The other gives away that one of the heads of the bid is kind of giving up. So, both show signs of desperation and are losing attitudes.

I'm really sorry to say that the original article in Spanish says NOTHING AT ALL of the mayor being less confident. Actually, he is more confident.

Chicago's comments about the world cup being completely different weren't worth complaining over (if, indeed, a complaint was actually made)

Saying outright that one bid is the "worst" is absolutely cause for complaining to the ethics commission and I completely side with Rio this time.

Chicago's comments about the world cup being completely different weren't worth complaining over (if, indeed, a complaint was actually made)

Saying outright that one bid is the "worst" is absolutely cause for complaining to the ethics commission and I completely side with Rio this time.

Rio may complain but I do agree with the Madrid official and what he is saying!

That's completely beside the point. Madrid seems to have broken the rules which bidding cities agree to abide by.

Well, if that transpires then Rio is justified to complain. However, on a personal level, I do agree with what the Madrid official said about Rio regardless of if it broke the rules or not.

That's completely beside the point. Madrid seems to have broken the rules which bidding cities agree to abide by.

Rob

It seems quite hipocritical to disregard Madrid by this when all of you have ignored the mayor Daley comments about the World Cup in Brazil. Stop using your usual double standard with all related to the Spanish bid. And that's not completely beside the point: it is the point indeed.

Rob

It seems quite hipocritical to disregard Madrid by this when all of you have ignored the mayor Daley comments about the World Cup in Brazil. Stop using your usual double standard with all related to the Spanish bid. And that's not completely beside the point: it is the point indeed.

Rio’s Bid Breakes The Rules Of The IOC. See Below The Evidence.

Setembro 30, 2009

The text below is a reproduction of the e-mail sent from the Brazilian Ambassador in Switzerland to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Brasília D.F. It goes like this:

“ Re.: Visit Nuzman Switzerland Nuzman 22/09

I follow the instructions. I personally delivered today, September 22nd, to Mr. Jean-Franco Kasper, suisse member of the IOC, the letter that was addressed to him by His Excellency the President of the Republic, related to the Olympic Games 2016.

Kasper is president of the Sky International Federation (FIS), with its headquarters at Oberhofen am Thunersee, small city in Berna Canton. This week, however, he was dealing with events of his organization at Hilton Hotel at the airport of Zurich, to where I went to deliver the letter. Kasper receuved me with great simpathy at the support office of FIS and informed me that the president of the Brazilian Olympic Committe, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, will visit him tomorrow, at the same place, probably to discuss the Ri0 21016 candidacy.”

This in only one single example of how Rio broke the IOC rules. I have many of the internal messages like this one. Several Members refused to receive the letter personally since they say that the rules of the IOC do not allow this. Other Members received either the Ambassador, or people of the BID. It is clear that the bid members cannot visit the voters. Is Rio being to be punished?

Will then Rio be out of the run also?

Rob

Daley's point was a fact; the world cup is a different kettle of fish to an Olympic games - he might have worded it better but what he said really wasn't all that bad. The quote attributed to Madrid completely undermines the rules of the process, there's absolsutely no grey area in calling one of your rival's the "worst".

Besides which, Rio 2016 seem to agree. They didn't, as it turned out, lodge a complaint against Chicago. They seem to have done so in this case if this story is to be believed.

I don't have double standards towards Madrid and never have. I couldn't care enough about them or their bid to hold double standards if I'm honest! They're so far out of the picture as far as this race is concerned that I have no reason to kick them while they're down. :rolleyes:

Daley's point was a fact; the world cup is a different kettle of fish to an Olympic games - he might have worded it better but what he said really wasn't all that bad. The quote attributed to Madrid completely undermines the rules of the process, there's absolsutely no grey area in calling one of your rival's the "worst".

Besides which, Rio 2016 seem to agree. They didn't, as it turned out, lodge a complaint against Chicago. They seem to have done so in this case if this story is to be believed.

I don't have double standards towards Madrid and never have. I couldn't care enough about them or their bid to hold double standards if I'm honest! They're so far out of the picture as far as this race is concerned that I have no reason to kick them while they're down. :rolleyes:

Voilà... you couldn't care less about Madrid, and that's why you have not been objective regarding to its bid since moment zero :)

Voilà... you couldn't care less about Madrid, and that's why you have not been objective regarding to its bid since moment zero

Righty ho. I've hardly spoken about Madrid other than to say the geopolitics doesn't favour them - something which is widely accepted. And if you look in the other thread on this subject (the big 12 page one) you'll see I've been defending Madrid 2016 against Rio supporters who claim their bid is technically superior to it. How does that fit into your little theory about my views on Madrid eh?

I explained my stance on the comment aimed at Rio and why it differs from those made by Daley, as you asked me to. If you disagree, maybe you can explain why rather than questioning my objectivity.

Righty ho. I've hardly spoken about Madrid other than to say the geopolitics doesn't favour them - something which is widely accepted. And if you look in the other thread on this subject (the big 12 page one) you'll see I've been defending Madrid 2016 against Rio supporters who claim their bid is technically superior to it. How does that fit into your little theory about my views on Madrid eh?

I explained my stance on the comment aimed at Rio and why it differs from those made by Daley, as you asked me to. If you disagree, maybe you can explain why rather than questioning my objectivity.

You are objective indeed in focusing on the pros & cons of every bid. That's true, right, and never intended to say anything different to this. But it's also true that geopolitics have biased you enough to not considering Madrid in anycase. My simple question would be... how will you react in the unlikely scene of a Madrid winning on Friday? Will you need oxygen? :)

The IOC has appointed an Evaluation Committee to assess the technical plans of the bids and the EC made a report with their findings. They assessed the WC issue and made remarks about it. They also evaluated the venues, the infrastructure and the bid committees and gave their opinion. Neither Mayor Daley or Odriozola are part of the EC. On the contrary, both are linked to one of the competing parties. So,they should mind their own bids and bet on their strengths instead of bashing the others. If their bids are so good, they don't have to discredit the others.

You are objective indeed in focusing on the pros & cons of every bid. That's true, right, and never intended to say anything different to this. But it's also true that geopolitics have biased you enough to not considering Madrid in anycase. My simple question would be... how will you react in the unlikely scene of a Madrid winning on Friday? Will you need oxygen?

Yes, I'll be shocked. I think anyone who has been following this race will be!

The truth is, I'd be talking about Madrid more if other people were. Whilst I support Chicago (because it's better on these boards if you pick a favourite) I don't really mind who wins this if I'm honest. I've not been promoting any city here like I did with London when they were bidding. I've been merely contributing to other people's threads and putting my points of view across.

So, if I've been ignoring Madrid, it's only because almost everyone else has as well.

The IOC has appointed an Evaluation Committee to assess the technical plans of the bids and the EC made a report with their findings. They assessed the WC issue and made remarks about it. They also evaluated the venues, the infrastructure and the bid committees and gave their opinion. Neither Mayor Daley or Odriozola are part of the EC. On the contrary, both are linked to one of the competing parties. So,they should mind their own bids and bet on their strengths instead of bashing the others. If their bids are so good, they don't have to discredit the others.

As I understand it, Daley was asked a direct question. Now, maybe he shouldn't have answered it, but it's not the same as coming out and saying one of the other bids is the "worst".

Yes, I'll be shocked. I think anyone who has been following this race will be!

The truth is, I'd be talking about Madrid more if other people were. Whilst I support Chicago (because it's better on these boards if you pick a favourite) I don't really mind who wins this if I'm honest. I've not been promoting any city here like I did with London when they were bidding. I've been merely contributing to other people's threads and putting my points of view across.

So, if I've been ignoring Madrid, it's only because almost everyone else has as well.

I'll be shocked as well... It's so complicated to think that Madrid will manage to beat this American games that I simply won't put a coin in this bet. Nevertheless, as a Madrid supporter, it is quite upsetting to see the bid only discussed when Odriozola says that Rio is the worst project. Definitely it's not the best way to compete in the situation the city is, but he has said no crap. Really Madrid has a stronger bid, much better than Chicago and Rio, even including legacy (at least, legacy beyond avoiding white elephants). That has been said all along the race by everyone, even admitting that the city was very unlikely to win. Then the report was released one month ago and everyone focused on the "varied" quality of the presentations, and suddenly all the strengths underlined in the same report disappeared. It seems that Rio serious lack of infrastructure (also pointed out by the EC) was just irrelevant. This is also shocking to me.

Archived