Sean Goldman Case...how Can The Ioc

I don't know how many of you have heard of the Sean Goldman case...wherein the Brazilian mother of this kid (the father is Sean Goldman from New Jersey) simply took their boy to Brazil and the Brazilian side of the family has since REFUSED to return the kid even though the Brazilian Supreme Court has already ordered that the boy belongs to his father in the U.S.

http://themoderatevoice.com/34084/the-sean...nd-disgraceful/

How can the IOC award something like the Olympic Games to a country that pretends to honor "family" but in reality does not??

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a summary of how the case has gone so far:

Yesterday, we reported that a Brazilian federal judge had ordered that 9-year-old Sean Goldman, who was abducted by his Brazilian mother four years ago and taken to Brazil, be released today.

Sean Goldman was to be taken today by 2 p.m. to the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro to be reunited with his father, David Goldman, and returned to the United States.

It would have been the happy and honorable ending to a four year heart rending struggle by David Goldman to get his son back from those who have been keeping him against every legal, civilized, and moral rule and norm: the family of his former wife and her second husband, a lawyer from a prominent and powerful family in Brazil.

But it was not to be.

This morning, the New York Times reports:

One day after a federal judge here ordered that a 9-year-old boy who was abducted by his Brazilian mother be returned to his American father, a Supreme Court justice stayed the order, extending a custody case that has reached the highest levels of the Obama administration and caused tension between Brazil and the United States.

Judge Rafael Pereira Pinto had ruled Monday that the child, Sean Goldman, be turned over to United States Consulate officials here by Wednesday afternoon. The consulate was to turn the child over to his father, David Goldman, who lives in New Jersey.

The boy’s father who has been in Rio to be reunited with his son, called the Supreme Court stay “heartbreaking and disgraceful,” according to the Times.

And it is heartbreaking, disgraceful and disgusting.

The United States has condemned Brazil’s handling of the case as a violation of the Hague Abduction Convention.

source: http://themoderatevoice.com/34084/the-sean...nd-disgraceful/

I am ashamed for our country, Brazil.

Oh. So why has the new family of the boy REFUSED to do what is decent and right?

I didn't talk to her. Her store made an event where little girls would go on the cat walk with clothes bought at the store and my daughter and my little sister participated. So, since I know her partner, I was introduced to her.

The reason why they did not return the boy is because they are defended by very good lawyers who got to turn the case their way for a long time. However, now they are losing ground. After divorcing David Goldman, Bruna married the son of the top family attorney in Brazil. unfortunately for them, after her death, it became almost impossible to keep the decisions on their side.

Oh you guys have such narrow views. I knew someone would say "...it has nothing to do with the Olympics...."

Well, yes and no...Brazil has violated the statutes of the The Hague Abduction Convention; and it might be a signatory to another international contract...to stage the 2016 Olympics...SO THERE IS AN ABSOLUTE CONNECTION.

If you wish to bury your heads in the sand, i.e., rosh, then that is your shortsightedness. BUT IT IS an absolutely valid.

ANd hey, everything is fair game at this stage of the selection.

Oh you guys have such narrow views. I knew someone would say "...it has nothing to do with the Olympics...."

Well, yes and no...Brazil has violated the statutes of the The Hague Abduction Convention; and it might be a signatory to another international contract...to stage the 2016 Olympics...SO THERE IS AN ABSOLUTE CONNECTION.

If you wish to bury your heads in the sand, i.e., rosh, then that is your shortsightedness. BUT IT IS an absolutely valid.

ANd hey, everything is fair game at this stage of the selection.

Ok lets talk about Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, what do you think? For a country who "promotes" democracy and human rights i think i at least the prisioners should have a judgment and you? what about torture? How many international laws had USA ignored? Geneva Convention?

but im sure this has nothing to do with the Olympics, do you agree?

I don't know how many of you have heard of the Sean Goldman case...wherein the Brazilian mother of this kid (the father is Sean Goldman from New Jersey) simply took their boy to Brazil and the Brazilian side of the family has since REFUSED to return the kid even though the Brazilian Supreme Court has already ordered that the boy belongs to his father in the U.S.

http://themoderatevoice.com/34084/the-sean...nd-disgraceful/

How can the IOC award something like the Olympic Games to a country that pretends to honor "family" but in reality does not??

Sorry, you've asked for it:

How can the IOC award the games to a country that has already violated almost EVERY SINGLE international treaty it is part of?

Iraq War, Afeghanistan War, UN Climate Change treaties, UN enviroment treaties, UN Human Righ treaties, Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, Hiroshima, Nagasaki........ HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Rogue States shouldn't get the games!

OK, everyone. Please cool it...

No country is perfect, and keep in mind the state of Illinois and Chicago did not vote for Bush, instead a president who is at least attempting to be an "anti-Bush" came from here. That is one of the reasons why Obama is strongly behind Chicago's bid, which is to improve relations with the world.

I agree that this story really has nothing to do with the Olympics. However, it does underscore Brazil's desire for power and respect on the international stage. As near as I can tell, the primary focus of Rio's bid is getting Brazil more leverage on the global stage. The fact that the Brazilian government resisted returning the boy to his father for so long strikes me as a power-play. "We're not going to let the U.S. tell us what to do." "We are a force to be reckoned with."

Unfortunately, the speeches and articles that have come out in recent weeks suggest that is the same aggressive attitude underlying the bid: "You better give us what's ours."

Apart from this thematic connection, I think the Goldman case is totally irrelevant.

OK, everyone. Please cool it...

No country is perfect, and keep in mind the state of Illinois and Chicago did not vote for Bush, instead a president who is at least attempting to be an "anti-Bush" came from here. That is one of the reasons why Obama is strongly behind Chicago's bid, which is to improve relations with the world.

So, tell the Phil' boy also to cool down.... this Sean problem is a private problem... it concerns to private international law.... it's a controversial theme... Brazilian law is differente than yours... right or not, judges here tend to listen to the child, wich by the way, wants to be here.... and to prior the mother. As the Phil' boy said, the Supreme court voted, in first instance, for him to go to the US again.... it's a law process... it has nothing to do with Brazil wanting to fight with the US... IT HAS NOTHING TO DO! If we wanted always to fight with the US, Lula wouldn't get along so well with Obama, and our relations, throught history wouldn't be so close..... what you guys DON'T understand, since you see the world with the "lens" of one that lives in the developed world, is that in order to things change, we need to be assertive... we need to balance what's the best for us..... and this includes trying to change the world order to open space for couttries such as the BRICs ones.... if the US has relations with the entire world, shoudl'nt we? Only because we fight for our interests, should we be considered in a bad way? Why is that? It's so funny that you can't understand the world is changing.... it's not that US will have to decay..... on the contrary, if governants like Obama can recognize how the world is changing, it will be even better for you.... you will keep the lead for many and many years... the difference is that the world will have other powers..... in a multillateral and equilibrated way... it's simple.

Ok lets talk about Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, what do you think? For a country who "promotes" democracy and human rights i think i at least the prisioners should have a judgment and you? what about torture? How many international laws had USA ignored? Geneva Convention?

but im sure this has nothing to do with the Olympics, do you agree?

THEY DESERVE TO BE THERE!! DUh!! I actually support torture and whatever means necessary to get info! So there!!

Blow it out your ear!!

THEY DESERVE TO BE THERE!! DUh!! I actually support torture and whatever means necessary to get info! So there!!

Blow it out your ear!!

DUDE!!! STOP!!!!

I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU AND -

As has been proven in reviews of their records - a number were picked up because of personal rivalries and not for their association with Al Qaeda.

There are plenty of things that the U.S. has done that I'm not proud of. A very large number of those things happened between January 2001 and January 2009 - the era of the Republican President George W. Bush. And under the political party that way too many of the other bids' supporters consider such a great source for criticism of the current president and the Chicago 2016 bid.

Torture, the Iraq War, Geneva Conventions, Guantanamo - True, the U.S. government hasn't had a great international record - particularly regarding what it did during the era of Republican President George W. Bush - but the current leadership is working to change U.S. policy and reverse course where its possible and scale back where it can't. And to rebuild trust between the U.S. and our international partners.

Americans threw out the Republican leadership almost a year ago now - they no longer have the Presidency or much influence in the U.S. legislature. The majority of Americans have decided to distance our country from the Republicans and their policies.

IT IS REALLY DISAPPOINTING HOW MANY SUPPORTERS OF THE OTHER BIDS HAVE DECIDED TO ADOPT THE RIDICULOUS ATTACKS OF THIS RIDICULOUS POLITICAL PARTY

True - the U.S. owns the mistakes made under Pres. G. W. Bush.

But we should also get some credit for trying to correct the mistakes that were made.

CHItown '16

DUDE!!! STOP!!!!

I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU AND -

As has been proven in reviews of their records - a number were picked up because of personal rivalries and not for their association with Al Qaeda.

There are plenty of things that the U.S. has done that I'm not proud of. A very large number of those things happened between January 2001 and January 2009 - the era of the Republican President George W. Bush. And under the political party that way too many of the other bids' supporters consider such a great source for criticism of the current president and the Chicago 2016 bid.

Torture, the Iraq War, Geneva Conventions, Guantanamo - True, the U.S. government hasn't had a great international record - particularly regarding what it did during the era of Republican President George W. Bush - but the current leadership is working to change U.S. policy and reverse course where its possible and scale back where it can't. And to rebuild trust between the U.S. and our international partners.

Americans threw out the Republican leadership almost a year ago now - they no longer have the Presidency or much influence in the U.S. legislature. The majority of Americans have decided to distance our country from the Republicans and their policies.

IT IS REALLY DISAPPOINTING HOW MANY SUPPORTERS OF THE OTHER BIDS HAVE DECIDED TO ADOPT THE RIDICULOUS ATTACKS OF THIS RIDICULOUS POLITICAL PARTY

True - the U.S. owns the mistakes made under Pres. G. W. Bush.

But we should also get some credit for trying to correct the mistakes that were made.

CHItown '16

Then we AGREE to disagree.

now you're just being retarded, baron.

your ex president is a criminal war.

hes responsible for the death of thousands of people in Iraq in war that he started based on FALSE ALLEGATIONS and AGAINST ONU.

So yeh.

The country that allow the mother to stay with ther kid vs. The country that killed thousands of children.

Rio wins.

Oh wait.

Lets talk about nuclear bombs? The only country in the world that used nuclear bombs in populated areas...

Where are the moderator of this site? Delete this ****.

donald-rumsfeld.jpg

wait, who are these guys?

I didn't knew that American administration SUPPORTED AND ARMED SADDAM HUSSEIN. 2 decates later the Bush Junior started a war against a guy that his fater supported? Is that correct?

WOW.

Sorry. I don't know much about those things... can an american explain that to me?

hey guys... I was trying to know more about those war crimes and I discovered that this guy:

osama_bin_laden_1_.jpg

was also military trained and supported by American government to fight against Soviet troops...

2 decades he passed to some guys his knowledge about fighting against super power nations (terrorism) that was taught to him by CIA officials...

Those guys killed thousand of people on American soil... Is that correct?

So its a trend, AFAIK

USA trains and support dictatorship/terrorists and later they become enemy...

Should I talk about SA dictatorships "sponsored" by USA government that is one of the reasons SA NEVER hosted the Olympic games? USA stopped our development just because they were afraid of the DEVIL "communists" such as Salvador Allende... USA indirectly Caused thousand of deaths and 20 years of misery to most of South American population just because a guy with beard in an small island (Cuba) could start a revolution in the south...

Should I stop?

Hey guys... I love americans! They invented GOOGLE!

See what I found on google images:

kim-phuc.jpg

I heard people call that little kid naked in the photo as the "napalm girl"

So I had to search about "napalm"

Here is what I found:

On July 17, 1944, napalm incendiary bombs were dropped for the first time by American P-38 pilots on a fuel depot at Coutances, near St. Lô, France.[citation needed] Howard Zinn relates how he participated in a napalm bombing of German soldiers (and French civilians) who were awaiting the end of World War II in France about two weeks before the end of the war.[4] Napalm bombs were first used in the Pacific Theatre during the Battle of Tinian by Marine aviators; however, its use was complicated by problems with mixing, fuzing and aircraft release mechanisms.[5] In World War II, The USAAF bombed cities in Japan with napalm, killing 80,000 civilians and making 1,000,000 homeless. The substance was used in bombs and flamethrowers in Germany and the Japanese-held islands. It was used by the United States during the Vietnam War. During the Vietnam War, Dow became the sole supplier of napalm to the United States military who used the Napalm in their efforts during the war.

The most well-known method of delivering napalm is from air-dropped incendiary bombs. A lesser-known method is the flame throwers used by combat infantry. Flame throwers use a thinner version of the same jellied gasoline to destroy gun emplacements, bunkers and cave hideouts. U.S. Marines fighting on Guadalcanal found them very effective against Japanese positions. The Marines used fire as both a casualty weapon as well as a psychological weapon. They found that Japanese soldiers would abandon positions in which they fought to the death against other weapons. Prisoners of war confirmed that they feared napalm more than any other weapon utilised against them.

Pilots returning from the war zone often remarked they would rather have a couple of droppable gasoline tanks full of napalm than any other weapon, bombs, rockets or guns. The U.S. Air Force and Navy used napalm with great effect against all manner of targets to include troops, tanks, buildings and even railroad tunnels. The demoralizing effect napalm had on the enemy became apparent when scores of North Korean troops began to surrender to aircraft flying overhead. Pilots noted that they saw surviving enemy troops waving white flags on subsequent passes after dropping napalm. The pilots radioed to ground troops and the North Koreans were captured.[6]

Napalm can kill or wound by immolation and by asphyxiation. Immolation produces rapid loss of blood pressure, unconsciousness and death in a short time. Third-degree burns are typically not painful at the time, because only the skin nerves respond to heat and third-degree burns kill the nerves. Burn victims do not experience first-degree burns due to the adhesive properties of napalm that stick to the skin. Severe second-degree burns, likely to be suffered by someone hit with a small splash of napalm are severely painful and produce hideous scars called keloids, which can also bring about motor disturbances.[1]

"Napalm is the most terrible pain you can imagine," said Kim Phúc, a napalm bombing survivor known from a famous Vietnam War photograph. "Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius. Napalm generates temperatures of 800 to 1,200 degrees Celsius."[9]

Phúc sustained third-degree burns to half her body and was not expected to live after the attack by South Vietnamese aircraft. But thanks to assistance from South Vietnamese photographer Nick Ut and American doctors, and after surviving a 14-month hospital stay and 17 operations, she became an outspoken peace activist. During the Vietnam War, homemade napalm was used by peace activists to destroy draft records (see Catonsville Nine).

International law does not necessarily prohibit the use of napalm or other incendiaries against military targets,[9] but use against civilian populations was banned by the United Nations Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons, (often referred to as the CCW) in 1980. Protocol III of the CCW restricts the use of incendiary weapons (not only napalm), but a number of states have not acceded to all of the protocols of the CCW. According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), states are considered a party to the convention, which entered into force as international law in December 1983, if they ratify at least two of the five protocols. The United States, for example, is a party to the CCW but did not sign protocol III.[10]

Hey guys since I posted a big text on my last post I'll illustrate the thread now. Thats because I heard Americans have a short attention-span... Stay focused guys!

I heard that the soldiers were sent to Iraq to give FREEDOM to its population. (remember: Hussein was totally supported by USA so its kinda confusing that now they think hes a terrorist son a bitch!)

But what the soldiers think about Iraq Population?

3-thumb.jpg

Strange.

See how much Iraq people love the americans that are bringing Freedom:

children%20-%20iraq.jpg

iraq_men_hooded.jpg

nor2510a[1]-20081031-192006.jpg

3183539__41335840_bow_reuters416[1]-20081031-185345.jpg

sabra018_3[1]-20081031-182202.jpg

Hey, for those that are wondering where are the shocking pictures just go to google images.

I wont post it in respect to other members.

Archived