New Zealand Civil Defence Issues Tsunami Warning After Samoa Quake

A tsunami is radiating across the South Pacific following a massive 8.3 magnitude earthquake near Samoa and will hit New Zealand later today.

TSUNAMI HEADING FOR NZ

The Hawaii center's updated timings for the arrival of a tsunami in New Zealand are:

East Cape at 9.44am

Gisborne 10am

North Cape 10.12 am

Napier 10.40 am

Wellington 10.50 am

Auckland (east coast) 11.12 am

Auckland (west) 11.39 am

Lyttelton 11.55am

New Plymouth 12.17pm

Nelson 12.23 pm

Dunedin 12.31 pm

I will keep you updated throughout the morning if it hits and what the damage is.

People are being urged to move to higher ground.

Over 100 people are dead in Samoa with the death toll expected to rise. It is a sad day for samoa

Il second that, the proud Samoans have suffered a huge tragedy. I and the people here in Scotland are thinking about them all during this time

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key will be traveling to Samoa on Saturday to oversea the damage and meet with the Samoan Government to find out what New Zealand Can do. The death toll is over 150.

Also New Zealand announced an immediate $1 million aid and have sent the military to help with the clean up and reconstruction.

What's up with the pacific lately. Two more quakes off Tonga and Samoa, another mega-typhoon blowing in on the Philippines. And I thought I'd heard about a quake in Peru as well.

Yea there was a quake in Peru 5.5.

It is certainly living up to the ring of fire. Tragic

New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key has arrived in Samoa today to survey the damage.

He will be there for the day to meet with the Samoan Prime Minister to discuss aid etc. The Prime Minister is also visiting a family friend who had lost family in the Tsunami.

Archived