Rio Files Complaint Against Chicago

Soaring

I complete saying will the members voting with their heads just in the Obama's blackglasses. A bid is more than a support in the last hours. Lula and other brazilian authotiries gave showing since the begging of the process support. Make everything to blow Rio's bid. If Chicago win coz Obama's in Copehangen it would be the most ridiculous thing I would see in my life.

What do you mean by "support"?

Obama has supported Chicago from the beginning. He made it clear he supported LA over Chicago to the USOC back in 2007. He also attended the logo unveiling and rally in the midst of his busy presidential campaign. He has taped over three videos to IOC members. He created an Olympic Office in the White House. He has his top adviser working on the bid. He hosted a rally on the White House lawn. He is sending members of his cabinet to Copenhagen to boost the transportation and legacy concerns. He asked his secretary of state to be in a video for the IOC. He is sending his "better half" to lead Chicago's delegation, and he is personally going to Copenhagen himself.

No other U.S. president has been as actively engaged like Obama has, and just because he has not been like Lula, does not mean he supports the bid any less. I mean my God, he leads one of the most powerful nations in the world. He has two wars going on, he is trying to revamp health care for 310 million people, and is has been working on improving an economic crisis. He has also traveled to every continent (except Oceania) as president, and the guy has only been in office eight months.

What do you mean by "support"?

Obama has supported Chicago from the beginning. He made it clear he supported LA over Chicago to the USOC back in 2007. He also attended the logo unveiling and rally in the midst of his busy presidential campaign. He has taped over three videos to IOC members. He created an Olympic Office in the White House. He has his top adviser working on the bid. He hosted a rally on the White House lawn. He is sending members of his cabinet to Copenhagen to boost the transportation and legacy concerns. He asked his secretary of state to be in a video for the IOC. He is sending his "better half" to lead Chicago's delegation, and he is personally going to Copenhagen himself.

No other U.S. president has been as actively engaged like Obama has, and just because he has not been like Lula, does not mean he supports the bid any less. I mean my God, he leads one of the most powerful nations in the world. He has two wars going on, he is trying to revamp health care for 310 million people, and is has been working on improving an economic crisis. He has also traveled to every continent (except Oceania) as president, and the guy has only been in office eight months.

SuperObama.jpg

They forget, Chicago unlike Rio has actually HOSTED a world cup

Mo,

You'd better read a little bit about Maracana history. You will find out that it was built for a WC. Rio hosted the WC and still holds the record for the largest attendance on WC match and the largest average attendance for any city hosting the WC.

In my opinion is a mix of both, desperation and hardball...

Actually, The Rio2016 team knows their position in the game, they know they got chances, as well Chicago2016 bid team.

These days before the voting are so thrilling and earth-shattering! Every comment about the other can become a snowball!

I think the things are quite decided (inside the great majority of the voters), the final presentations will work as a catalist for some bids for assuring the votes and maybe get the undecided ones.

Everybody knows the bids on the Leading role and the ones on the supporting role. :lol:

If you want my educated answer, I would say it could be combination of both. They want to play hardball and deflect news from Obama and them dropping the swimming WC. It could be perceived as them grasping at straws though. I really don't see this as hurting Chicago, but continues to make Rio look like crying babies.

Rio has not done a stellar job with the press over the last couple of weeks. I would say Chicago has had momentum since the White House event on September 16th.

I quite agree Soaring, nothing at all against Brazil or it's people but this is just an observation of Rio's bid team and their PR team the last few weeks and that is what Soaring said. They have not done a great job with the press at all these last 2 weeks. In my opinion, they're fumbling and tripping very badly right now. For them, the only hope they've got now is their final presentation on Friday. If they give a knock out presentation that will probably save them. If it ends up being terrible or under-whelming then Rio can pretty much forget it at that point I would say.

Chicago does have the momentum and that is who I'm rooting for since I live in the Chicago area. However, I wish all 4 cities good luck :) They're all impressive bids but I feel like Rio's fumbled badly and they may not be able to recover from it now.

By the way Soaring, I looked at your blog the other night and I wanted to say it's very very nice! Very well done, easy on the eyes and easy to read :)

If you want my educated answer, I would say it could be combination of both. They want to play hardball and deflect news from Obama and them dropping the swimming WC. It could be perceived as them grasping at straws though. I really don't see this as hurting Chicago, but continues to make Rio look like crying babies.

Rio has not done a stellar job with the press over the last couple of weeks. I would say Chicago has had momentum since the White House event on September 16th.

Public relations is a particular American preoccupation. This is clear to anyone who's closely followed an American presidential election cycle. The basic facts are that Rio had the most compelling bid two weeks ago, they have the most compelling bid today, and they'll have the most compelling bid on Friday.

Rio filed a complaint with the IOC because last week Chicago's mayor made a comment saying that the World Cup puts their bid at a disadvantage. Today Rio made a formal complaint to the IOC.

Believe me, Rio 2016 has been making comments all along that Chicago and the other bids could have complained about.

Does Lula saying "U.S. has host too many times" and "Rio doesn't have terrorists" ring a bell?

Is this hardball, or desperation?

-

I think Chicago is desperate about Rio chances. Chicago mayor only talk about Rio. The US press is putting news about the security problems of Rio and now they say that Rio is complaining. So read this:

No Official Complaint By Rio 2016 To IOC

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:29pm EDT GB Staff

The Chicago Tribune reports Catherine St. Laurent, a spokesperson for Rio 2016, said in a text message that "there was no official complaint filed by the Rio 2016 bid committee to the (IOC) Ethics Commission" regarding Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's remarks that hosting the World Cup, as Brazil will do in 2014, was not the same as hosting the Olympics.

IOC spokesman Mark Adams also said no formal complaint has been filed with the commission, although the IOC was aware of Daley's comments "because they have been in the media".

Adams said, "we won't be taking any further action. With two days to go before the 2016 vote, we would simply remind all cities to refrain from any comment that could be construed as critical".

This subject is over. If someone is desperated, so it' Chicago. Why Chicago need Obama so much?

Mo,

You'd better read a little bit about Maracana history. You will find out that it was built for a WC. Rio hosted the WC and still holds the record for the largest attendance on WC match and the largest average attendance for any city hosting the WC.

You honestly going to compare the WC back then to the 1994 WC?

Archived