Rio Files Complaint Against Chicago

Soaring

Rio filed a complaint with the IOC because last week Chicago's mayor made a comment saying that the World Cup puts their bid at a disadvantage. Today Rio made a formal complaint to the IOC.

Believe me, Rio 2016 has been making comments all along that Chicago and the other bids could have complained about.

Does Lula saying "U.S. has host too many times" and "Rio doesn't have terrorists" ring a bell?

Is this hardball, or desperation?

Chicago on back foot over Daley’s Rio remark

September 29, 2009

COPENHAGEN — Chicago’s opening press conference ahead of the vote as to who holds the 2016 Olympics was overshadowed on Tuesday by claims that closest rivals Rio de Janeiro had made an official complaint about a remark made by Mayor Richard Daley.

Rio were said to have filed an official complaint to the International Olympic Committee’s Ethics Commission after Daley was quoted last week to have said that hosting the World Cup, as Brazil are in 2014, was not like hosting the Olympics, which Rio took as implying they were not up to it.

Rival cities are not allowed under the IOC rules to directly criticise other bidders.

However, Daley, who has been in power since 1989 and should he remain so through 2010 surpass his father in being the ‘Windy City’s’ longest serving mayor, refused to directly answer when he was asked about the matter.

“No comment,” was his terse response.

However, the 67-year-old Democrat added: “All the other three cities are fiercely competitive and they are as passionate about their city as we are.”

Bid chairman Pat Ryan sprang to the defence of Daley, who had asked him to take on the challenge of delivering the Games three years ago.

“It’s the first I have heard of this,” said Ryan, who founded US global insurance broker Aon.

“However, I think Mayor Daley was misinterpreted and really every city has had grounds to file complaints during the campaign but we have decided not to file any and that’s the bottom line.

“The Mayor is a very good and fair competitor. Obviously things can be said in the heat of the moment and of the battle.”

While both Ryan and Daley welcomed the news that President Barack Obama – a former senator for Illinois and resident on the South Side of Chicago for nearly 25 years – would be present at the final presentation to the 100-plus IOC members on Friday, they added it was not about him or his wife Michelle.

The First Lady – born and bred in Chicago – is arriving on Wednesday to lobby members.

“I don’t want to get into a political game,” said Ryan, who is also a part-owner of the Chicago Bears.

“This race is about sports and competition.

“This should not be about a competition between heads of state (Brazilian President Lula, the King and Queen of Spain and the Japanese Prime Minister are also coming) it’s all about the athletes and the paralympians.

“President Obama is coming here out of respect for the athletes and for the bid.

“Let’s put it into perspective, this is about the athletes.”

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...MsKSoAbY2gG6BtA

-

I really want to believe they're playing hardball. I really do. :wacko:

I don't see the problem. It's a fact: Hosting a World Cup is not like hosting the Olympics. One is spread over a country and focuses on a single sport. The other is centralized in a city and features multiple sports. I don't see any insult in this. I certainly don't see any cause for filing a complaint. There's no comparison to a criticisms about"rich, imperialistic nations" and "blue-eyed bankers."

It's hardball. Well played, I might add...position yourself as the underdog trying to play within the rules, while the big bully on the block gets nasty.

I'm not saying it's legitimate though...this is going to be a very interesting vote.

I wonder if the IOC ever considered having a second vote as to whether any of the other bids this year could be granted the next Games provisionally?

you really want an answer?

It depends on POV.

A rio supporter would agree with the complaint and you, a chicago support, will see it as an act of desperation.

Simple as that.

If you want my educated answer, I would say it could be combination of both. They want to play hardball and deflect news from Obama and them dropping the swimming WC. It could be perceived as them grasping at straws though. I really don't see this as hurting Chicago, but continues to make Rio look like crying babies.

Rio has not done a stellar job with the press over the last couple of weeks. I would say Chicago has had momentum since the White House event on September 16th.

The news came during a news conference of Rio de Janeiro, Today in Copenhagen, when the president of Rio 2016 complained of Daley's comments. According to marketing director of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (BOC), Leonardo Gryner, there was no formal complaint from the Brazilian side.

- We just got in contact with the IOC to let them know what happened. It is not a formal complaint and we don't know what procedure will take the IOC after that. They even don't tell us if they have made contact with Chicago or not.

Oh, boy. Now we got the did it/didn't do it business! Thinks are getting quite nasty o.o

I don't know what to make of this race. Should the olympics be awarded to chicago just because Obama will be present? Or should the ideals of the games - offering the most stunnning and sophisticated location for the athletes to do their stuff - be maintained. The reality is that the Olympic movement and the realm of sport in general have taken a whacking over the head by the Americans over the past decade. The scandals of doping that have plagued the American track program, The scandal of salt lake 2002, The terrorist memories of Atlanta 1996, the current global economic decline have all be the result of some lapse in the American system. Yet, a most glaring reality is the promise that President Obama brings to the table. If he is able ( and he most definitely IS able ) to produce one of his staggeringly soaring "YES WE CAN" speeches, the world will undeniably gather in Chicago in 2016. Tokyo has promised by far the most technologically advance games the world will ever hope to see. Yet, maybe it will not be enough. I think they missed the boat by totally refusing to incorporate HSH The Emperor in their bid. Had he made an appearance in Copenhagen, things would not be as loop sided as they are now. Rio deserves to win the games and still is the "darling" of all the bids. It is evident from their reaction to Obama's appearance that they really need to reaffirm to the world that they do have what it takes abnd I believe that they do. I hope the voting delegates make arrive at their decisions based on the evidence that is presented moreso than the promises.

"I do not believe in punishment (for Chicago)" said the president of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (BOC) and the Rio's bid, Carlos Arthur Nuzman.

So glad they do not believe in "punishment" for the unwieldy (rich-greedy) monster. At this point it seems like USOC media/politics monster is eating them alive.

Oh come on guys, it's all part of the game.

Stop overreacting about every city moves:

- first of all, Rio did not file a former complaint,

- back in 2001, Toronto 2008 CEO openly stated during the presentation to the Session that "Every city claim to have involved the athletes in their bid, only one did, Toronto" which was a lie as TO was not the only one

- back in 2005 "London 2012 consultant therefore technically not part of London 2012 official delegation" blasted the Stade de France in Singapore...

EVERY bid city hires PR experts (Mike Lee is behind Rio 2016 BTW) to throw dirt at competing cities (either directly, through media...). If you don't want to play this Game then don't bid at all.

Don't be fooled, Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo are also playing this game (perhaps in a more subtle way than Rio).

And I am starting to wonder whether the whole "Will he? Won't he" Obama show was not carefully planned from the beginning (clever way to attract most of the media coverage during the last 2 weeks, well done Chicago PR team)

There is only going to be one winner Friday, better be prepared for it.

I don't know what to make of this race. Should the olympics be awarded to chicago just because Obama will be present? Or should the ideals of the games - offering the most stunnning and sophisticated location for the athletes to do their stuff - be maintained. The reality is that the Olympic movement and the realm of sport in general have taken a whacking over the head by the Americans over the past decade. The scandals of doping that have plagued the American track program, The scandal of salt lake 2002, The terrorist memories of Atlanta 1996, the current global economic decline have all be the result of some lapse in the American system. Yet, a most glaring reality is the promise that President Obama brings to the table. If he is able ( and he most definitely IS able ) to produce one of his staggeringly soaring "YES WE CAN" speeches, the world will undeniably gather in Chicago in 2016. Tokyo has promised by far the most technologically advance games the world will ever hope to see. Yet, maybe it will not be enough. I think they missed the boat by totally refusing to incorporate HSH The Emperor in their bid. Had he made an appearance in Copenhagen, things would not be as loop sided as they are now. Rio deserves to win the games and still is the "darling" of all the bids. It is evident from their reaction to Obama's appearance that they really need to reaffirm to the world that they do have what it takes abnd I believe that they do. I hope the voting delegates make arrive at their decisions based on the evidence that is presented moreso than the promises.

I complete saying will the members voting with their heads just in the Obama's blackglasses. A bid is more than a support in the last hours. Lula and other brazilian authotiries gave showing since the begging of the process support. Make everything to blow Rio's bid. If Chicago win coz Obama's in Copehangen it would be the most ridiculous thing I would see in my life.

Yet, a most glaring reality is the promise that President Obama brings to the table. If he is able ( and he most definitely IS able ) to produce one of his staggeringly soaring "YES WE CAN" speeches, the world will undeniably gather in Chicago in 2016. Tokyo has promised by far the most technologically advance games the world will ever hope to see.

I can't believe everyone thinks Obama is such a factor, isn't everyone sick of hearing him yak-yak-yak or read-read-read his speeches, he is such a zombie? I'm glad the world adores him, I guess it's good for us.

Tokyo sounds exciting though.

Archived