What Will Be The Biggest Impact: Rio, Chicago, Tokyo Or Madrid?

Cauê

Some people here use the argument "World Cup 2014 + Olympics 2016 in Brazil = No". But this argument is really fair?

What will be the greatest impact:

1- The Olympics in U.S.A for the 9th time (4 summer games + 4 winter games).

2- The Olympic Games in Madrid in 2016 after London 2012 and Barcelona 1992.

3- The Olympics in Tokyo again in 2016 after Beijing 2008 and Tokyo 1964.

4- The Olympics for the first time in South America. Opening the doors of a new territory for the Olympic movement.

?

For me, the answer is clear.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The argument mightn't be fair with regard to the world cup, but it's what a lot of people feel, including me. Would I want to see Brazil host so something massive again so soon? Not if I had the choice, I'd rather Rio waited and hosted 8 or 12 years later.

The concept of universality is great, but more important is the notion of a meritocracy. Gold medals aren't given to just anyone because their nation hasn't won one before. The same goes for the bidding process. Rio must prove it's better than the bids which happen to be from countries that have hosted before.

The argument mightn't be fair with regard to the world cup, but it's what a lot of people feel, including me. Would I want to see Brazil host so something massive again so soon? Not if I had the choice, I'd rather Rio waited and hosted 8 or 12 years later.

The concept of universality is great, but more important is the notion of a meritocracy. Gold medals aren't given to just anyone because they're nation hasn't won one before. The same goes for the bidding process. Rio must prove it's better than the bids which happen to be from countries that have hosted before.

I agree with u

The concept of universality is great, but more important is the notion of a meritocracy. Gold medals aren't given to just anyone because they're nation hasn't won one before. The same goes for the bidding process. Rio must prove it's better than the bids which happen to be from countries that have hosted before.

totally agree with you.

The concept of universality is great, but more important is the notion of a meritocracy. Gold medals aren't given to just anyone because their nation hasn't won one before. The same goes for the bidding process. Rio must prove it's better than the bids which happen to be from countries that have hosted before.

Great point, haven't heard that one. "Gold medals aren't given to just anyone because their nation hasn't won one before."

Perhaps if US soccer could be given a 4 point handicap into each game it would be more fair, and a greater scene of balance would elevate the sport.

Does anyone really count the St Louis games as Olympics bwhaaaaahaha!

SO over a hundred years ago, dinosaurs perhaps still roaming and scalping a regular occurrence.

What would the Olympic movement be without the support and promotion the United States has given?

I'm so glad we are receding in world Power (supposedly), I hope we can stop policing the world and maybe will be less a target for all the worlds problem and criticism, unless of course someone needs something, or runs into trouble or a natural disaster, them we will be called on to fund it. <_<

try to give up on these GB forums...

I'm really tired...

You won... Get a nuclear bomb, throw it in Brazil and get all the Brazilians problems over...

We don't deserve to live.. We are the worst in everything...

I GIVE UP!

BIGGEST IMPACT? What is this? a meteor? An impacted tooth?

But to answer the question -- probably Chicago. Madrid and Tokyo are OUT OF THE EQUATION. We shouldn't even waste our time on those 2 party-spoilters. Rio will have the BIGGEST IMPACT on the pockets of my poor fellow cariocas and Brazilians, including that Brazilian bitch, thorb. :lol:

It is important to open the door to a new territory for the Olympic Movement.

If Rio wins in October 2, the term "universality" will be renovated, a New Era for the Olympic Moviment begins with Rio 2016.

A new era is going a bit far in my opinion and the idea of universality, especially after Beijing 08, is most certainly not dead or in need of "renovation".

What a Rio victory will be is a continutation of a tradition of giving new nations a chance but only when they're ready and able. It'll be next in the queue after Tokyo 64, Mexico City 68, Moscow 80, Seoul 88, Barcelona 92, Beijing 2008. Every now and then the IOC will give an Olympics to a new nation. That may or may not be the case in 2016, and if it isn't it doesn't mean they've abandoned the idea of universality because there's absolutely no doubt future games will be held in South America and Africa.

Of course it's important to open the door to new territories from time to time. But it is not, and never will be, the be-all and end-all of the decision making process.

Hola everyone,

All in Madrid are waiting for you.

Madrid is the 12th city of the world in quality life.

Madrid has one of the best night life of Europe.

Madrid has some of the most important museums of the world.

Madrid has the best public transport of Europe.

Spain is the prefer country for European tourist and Madrid was last year the city most visited.

The people in Madrid is marvellous, more than 400000 of them was in a party in the Cibeles square last sunday for Madrid2016.

Say Madrid is say Real Madrid, the best Football club of the world and the best basketball club of Europe in the 20th Century.

We are falling in love for the Olympic games.

We love you.

Olympic games of 2016 for Madrid.

Would I want to see Brazil host so something massive again so soon? Not if I had the choice, I'd rather Rio waited and hosted 8 or 12 years later.

But you're aware of the ammount of international competitions we are hosting in the next decade, right?

Archived