Will Ioc Go Against Obama And Us Money ?

Raphael

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol: Exactly. The US economy is in the dumps...so they need those Olympic jobs. We (Rio/Brazil) be putting a lot of our people to work for 2014; but we have to be generous...so we should share a little with Chicago. After all, it's not the WHOLE country, danny. It's just ONE city.

I thought you were from the Phillippines?

Sorry Danny, but he doesn't stop saying he's from Rio, so I can also play ;)

Vote Jerusalem the winner!!!!!!

oakyjerusalem2020logo.png

Hey,

Please vote for Jerusalem 2020 as the winner of the inappropriate Olympic competition.

I really need your votes!

This is different to the pledge you made earlier - you now have to go to the section linked below and vote for Jerusalem!

Here is the link:

vote Jerusalem2020 as the winner!

Come on - we can win this!

Shalom! :)

And remember, you will all receive our free official merchandise!

2020merchandise.png

I thought you were from the Phillippines?

Sorry Danny, but he doesn't stop saying he's from Rio, so I can also play ;)

He said he is from Rio spiritually... Whatever it means...

Baron is Carioca, by heart, and buttah...

Well let's think about Obama Factor.

First: Rio is still a stronger contender. Coz it's on rising since weeks ago. And this process is not over. ATR's final ranking...

Second: Chicago did rise in the last week. But It will be enough?

Third. I can't believe in a mass votation for Chicago just because Obama will land in Denmark with his black glasses and say: "HI europeans!!"

Oh please don't be stupid. There are a lot of things in the game.

The olympic moviment needs to spread the wings. Chooose Chicago is a very very very controversal choice. Coz USA's economy is not working well. The american government get great problems to solve. The Obama's popularity is falling down inside USA. What about Guantanamo? It is still there. What about americans troops in Iraq? The soldiers keep shooting there. The american health system is a mess ( the brazilian one is not perfect too must I say But a good model) Obama get a big trouble in his hand. One year after the election we just see the promises fading away and the reality knocking on the doors of the White House and in the door of every american citizen who voted for Obama/Biden last year. Better than Mccain/ McCain must i say.

So what Chicago can offer to the olympic moviment? Just money...or not we must not forget the crisis. No great legacy for the youth there. No new frontier. No social feedback. Rio is the new blood to the IOC's old veins.

Lula has work so hard for Rio since the city was just a Pam Am's city host. He gave his best in the race. Bush didn't make much for NYC in 2005. Obama has done almost the same for Chicago. And just because he is a president-celebrity a lot of members here think that his smile and his "cool black glasses" can make the games back to USA. Please, let's grow up.

The IOC's members have reading around the internet in the site who this race have come till today. They know what is the wisest choice for the credibility and vitality of the olympic moviment around the WORLD.

The USA is not the center of the world anymore. If you look around you will see some new superpower rising. China got the games in 2008. Russia get the games to Sochi in 2014. It's Brazil time. The IOC has much more to win gaving the games to Rio than give it to Obama's smile.

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

+

I always laugh at the complete hypocrisy people say on here. You people talk about "arrogant" Americans, but most of you sound like arrogant Brazilians, just like your president. Although, even Lula, despite the GLOBAL economic crisis, is harping that "the Olympic Games cannot be reserved for only the 'RICH' nations of the world" as he tries to make his appeal for the Olympics in Brazil & South America, so obviously he still sees the United States as an economic threat.

And while the IOC gave the Games to China, it still took the Chinese 2 attempts to get the Games. Their first attempt was pretty much like Brazil's first serious shot at this (considering all the other Rio bids were never short-listed). The "give us the Games, we 'need' them more, you can't deny us indefinitely" attitude. The Chinese's second attempt was more bid centered & played the "you must finally give the worlds most populous country the Games" card to a much lesser degree. It seems Rio's bid at this time is focused more on what the Olympic Movement can do for Rio & Brazil, when in fact it should be the other way around; what can Rio & Brazil do for the Olympic Movement. And right now, the latter doesn't seem to be resonating at all. Telling people (in every aspect of life) that they should know what it the "wisest" choice, isn't the wisest way to approach things. Those kind of faux-paus have always come back to bite bid cities in the a$s. You have to be very diplomatic about it.

A certain IOC member may be ``Obamanized`` but some others will just think `what the heck? what is bitch doing here? He said he wouldnt come, then he said maybe, then he sent us a video saying Michelle was going to represent him and now he is coming again? What are us, left-overs??``

Well, the same can be said with Brazil's attitude that the Olympics are only second fiddle compared to the World Cup. An IOC member can say to themselves the same thing; "I don't want the Olympics to be the 'left-overs' right after the World Cup. We want to be the Main Course!"

American capitalism...

Errr in world economy we must not to be based in nationality criteria. An exemple the beers that the american middle class man drink is a trade mark of a belgian-brazilian corporation. The orange juice almost american take in the breakfast make more richer some brazilians families in São Paulo state. Almost all meat in the american barbecue in the weekend make some brazilian corporation more stronger. Embraer sends avion to regional companies in USA. Do u need more examples?

Sure and the prices of all of those commodities you've described are decided in Chicago's mercantile/futures/boards of trade powerhouses!!

Well, the same can be said with Brazil's attitude that the Olympics are only second fiddle compared to the World Cup. An IOC member can say to themselves the same thing; "I don't want the Olympics to be the 'left-overs' right after the World Cup. We want to be the Main Course!"

World Cup will be a appertizer for the Olympic Games...

"I don't want the Olympics to be the 'left-overs' right after the World Cup. We want to be the Main Course!"

I know you guys probably talked about the proximity to the WC issue to DEATH back in the archives, but that's all I keep thinking, let alone if the host acts like the WC is the main event!...and they still insist they MUST have the games too.

I'm OK either way I guess, if I have to be honest.

Well let's think about Obama Factor.

First: Rio is still a stronger contender. Coz it's on rising since weeks ago. And this process is not over. ATR's final ranking...

Second: Chicago did rise in the last week. But It will be enough?

Third. I can't believe in a mass votation for Chicago just because Obama will land in Denmark with his black glasses and say: "HI europeans!!"

Oh please don't be stupid. There are a lot of things in the game.

The olympic moviment needs to spread the wings. Chooose Chicago is a very very very controversal choice. Coz USA's economy is not working well. The american government get great problems to solve. The Obama's popularity is falling down inside USA. What about Guantanamo? It is still there. What about americans troops in Iraq? The soldiers keep shooting there. The american health system is a mess ( the brazilian one is not perfect too must I say But a good model) Obama get a big trouble in his hand. One year after the election we just see the promises fading away and the reality knocking on the doors of the White House and in the door of every american citizen who voted for Obama/Biden last year. Better than Mccain/ McCain must i say.

So what Chicago can offer to the olympic moviment? Just money...or not we must not forget the crisis. No great legacy for the youth there. No new frontier. No social feedback. Rio is the new blood to the IOC's old veins.

Lula has work so hard for Rio since the city was just a Pam Am's city host. He gave his best in the race. Bush didn't make much for NYC in 2005. Obama has done almost the same for Chicago. And just because he is a president-celebrity a lot of members here think that his smile and his "cool black glasses" can make the games back to USA. Please, let's grow up.

The IOC's members have reading around the internet in the site who this race have come till today. They know what is the wisest choice for the credibility and vitality of the olympic moviment around the WORLD.

The USA is not the center of the world anymore. If you look around you will see some new superpower rising. China got the games in 2008. Russia get the games to Sochi in 2014. It's Brazil time. The IOC has much more to win gaving the games to Rio than give it to Obama's smile.

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

+

Ouch Rioman, you've got too many false assumptions. First, what's our healthcare and Guantanamo got to do with the Olympic movement? Last time I checked Beijing's human rights issues were still around before AND after their Olympics. So spare us the "IOC should be the arbiter of morality card!" Plus, if we were to play the same morality card as yours, then might as well take up the issue of instead of using the $14 billion dollars to pay for the Olympics you should invest it on something else that may truly spread your wealth from the Amazon to Rio to Sao Paulo to Porto Alegre. But hey, that's been discussed here before so let's not get into that. It's your money, it's your choice. What really troubles me though is that you're trying to discredit my president because he's going to Copenhagen and claim that "promises" are fading and that McCain could've done better. Really? Are you serious? It's about time that we have a president who's from urban America and finally understands urban America's problems! We're re-investing on ourselves that I see my tax dollars repaving my side of Michigan Avenue in the South Loop of Chicago. We've finally started dialogues with several countries that may not be friendly to us because of our renewed foreign policy. So for you to say that McCain could've been better, maybe it's you who needs to grow up!!! You whine about Lula throwing his heart out for the PanAm Games, for the World Cup, and now for the Olympics and paint a picture that it's not fair because of some celebrity with cool dark glasses could possibly change the race? Then why bother have a bidding competition in the first place if we're going to have whiners like you on the world stage? I hope many Brazilians are not like that (I know my friend from Porto Alegre isn't a whiner). Based on your reasoning, you've just demonstrated to the whole world that Brazil may not be up to the many challenges that other economic/political powers face everyday especially when the circumstances change on a daily if not hourly basis. I thought we've had a very good and healthy competition among the cities in this race. I never really expected the Brazilians to throw out their towels and call it a day. Jeez what a disappointment!!!!

Rio will win.

Not it won't.

The US will win.

Not because of Obama.

But because the US is where all the money is.

And the sponsors have made it very clear:

"If you don't vote for Chicago, we won't be renewing our sponsorship contracts with you."

And if there is one thing the ioc likes more than sport, it's $$$$.....

By the way... Obama just realized that Olympic Bid of Chicago exists "yesterday" and now all this buzz about his visit to Copenhagen.

I hope IOC members remember that...

this is complete bull. the president is well aware of chicago's bid and even during the election campaign took time to be with the bid team even before elections. don't fabircate facts.

Not it won't.

The US will win.

Not because of Obama.

"If you don't vote for Chicago, we won't be renewing our sponsorship contracts with you."

Based on that, USA should host all Olympic Games `til the end of world...

Chicago 2016

Boston 2020

San Francisco 2024

Miami 2028 and go...

Not it won't.

The US will win.

Not because of Obama.

Well, this is a big fat bluff. If the IOC call it, they will stay.

The moment those prime sponsors step out, their main competition will step in, even other American companies will be happy to take their position. Do you think Coca-Cola will cease to sponsor the IOC, to risk having Pepsi showing the brand next to the Olympic rings? Do you think NBC will not bid for the broadcasting rights, to deliver it on the hands of CBS or ABC? The American market will be a prime audience for the event wherever it is hosted, so sponsors will stay. They can only claim that revenues might be bigger if Chicago hosts.

first Rio 2016, Rio 2020, Rio 2024 and Rio 2028, then we shout Rio 2032 with you...

Better winning now than expend more money in bids...

Vc acha realmente q o safado do Nuzman vai ter apoio pra gastar 200 milhões a cada 4 anos pra fazer propaganda pros gringos?

Se perder 2016 só vai ter apoio nesse nível pra 2028.

Mas 2028 vai ser tokyo.

Então sobra 2032!

Catra, o Rio já tentou 3... pode tentar todas até conseguir...

Sinceramente, entendo sua preocupação com gastos públicos, que é minha preocupação também.

Mas cara, como profissional da área de TV, só o retorno em mídia é incalculável para o dinheiro investido.

Eu acho que não precisamos esperar até 2032.

Eu sinceramente gostaria de ver os jogos no Brasil, adoro olimpíadas e acho que devemos fiscalizar os gastos, mas não perder a oportunidade...

Respeito suas opiniões, menos aquela de que turistas não devam vir para o Brasil, isso é um absurdo.

Só que assim, vc é contra, beleza, mas po, a maioria é favor, Catra...

Archived