Chicagoansforrio Is Not A Fraud

Anne Marie

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/09...ps-forward.html

As of Soaring's last post I am opening this thread since there is something to be said from the "spies"!

Mystery solved: Creator of pro-Rio Web site steps forward

September 28, 2009 12:09 PM | 19 Comments

A 43-year-old Chicago advertising copywriter told the Chicago Tribune today that he was the creative mind behind ChicagoansForRio.com, ending a weeklong mini-mystery surrounding the satirical Web page that sought to raise questions about Chicago support for the city's bid for the 2016 Olympic Games.

Kevin Lynch has a pointed wit and a mild demeanor. He works at a Chicago advertising firm on the Magnificent Mile, but is also the author of a blog on creative marketing. He bought the Web address for ChicagoansForRio last March, when his initial enthusiasm for Chicago's bid began waning.

"I walked from the idea where I thought this was the type of city where something like that would do really well, to questions -- it was just the process after that," Lynch said.

He anonymously took ChicagoansForRio live on Sept. 20, he said, leaking a link to the Web site Chicagoist and NoGamesChicago.com, an organized opponent to the Chicago bid. From there, it became a social media phenomenon on Chicago blogs, Facebook pages and on Twitter.

What was unexpected was the whodunit response to the site, Lynch said. The culmination was a Friday report on the Canadian Olympics watchdog blog GamesBids.com that reported possible -- and, Lynch says, erroneous -- connections between ChicagoansForRio and Brazilian backers of the bid by Rio de Janeiro. The other cities still in consideration for the 2016 Games are Tokyo and Madrid, though many Olympics watchers believe the tightest race is behind the North and South American sites.

On Saturday, a spokeswoman for Rio de Janeiro's bid officially denied any connection between Brazil's Olympic committee and the satirical site in Chicago.

"The intention was not to cause an international incident," Lynch said.

And with a final vote on the 2016 host city coming Friday, what if it swayed International Olympic Committee voters in Copenhagen this week?

"If we don't get the bid, and you can blame it on a one-page Web site? I would suggest the bid wasn't so strong after all. In this contest, you really do have four great cities, and a lot of sentimental logic in Rio for the vote to go that way."

-- James Janega

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, an erroneous article and an update at BidIndex today was the rason for my opinion...

The next steps of the GamesBids about this will determine it´s credibility. If we see the site publish the subject of this post in the first page we can trust. If don´t we will have doubts.... we will see :unsure:

I think , the same way GB team gave the headlines to the "Fraudulent Anti-Chicago 2016 website Traced to Rio", now they should, at least, if not apologize, put in the headlines the truth.

It is called credibility. One may spend the whole lifetime to get it and loose it in a moment. But can recover, just being honest.

I agree ;) But in all the cases the people in the world deserve the thuth by the press :rolleyes:

It indeed seems impossible to any other city but Chicago, once the US President will be there at the IOC meeting. No chances, at all. They will no go against Obama's will and US money.

This is the way thing goes.

First out: Rio

Second: Tokyo

Winner: Chicago

It indeed seems impossible to any other city but Chicago, once the US President will be there at the IOC meeting. No chances, at all. They will no go against Obama's will and US money.

Yeah. I think that in the same way: we´ll the political and economic power above olympic spirit! :angry:

Winner: Chicago (Showing all Obama's strenght in front of IOC members)

At least GamesBids should apologize!

we´ll see...

I didn’t know my own strength

And I crashed down, and I tumbled

But I did not crumble

I got through all the pain

Survived my darkest hour

My faith kept me alive

I picked myself back up

Hold my head up high

I was not built to break

Barack Obama will be there!!!

It will be unfair...

Rio made excellent presentations, show all strength during all campaigning.

And just because Obama last week remembered the Olympic bid of Chicago and then decided to go to Copenhagen, IOC members change their vote only to make Obama happy...

Very unfair, and I hope it won't happen.

Life is not fair, Daniel, unhappilly. Who told you the opposite? The dream is over, can't you see? You are not that naive to think IOC will vote against US President. There is something you should have known from the start: money rules the world. Money is power.

As Drummond says:

E agora, José?

A festa acabou,

a luz apagou,

o povo sumiu,

a noite esfriou,

e agora, José ?

e agora, você ?

você que é sem nome,

que zomba dos outros,

você que faz versos,

que ama protesta,

e agora, José ?

Está sem mulher,

está sem discurso,

está sem carinho,

já não pode beber,

já não pode fumar,

cuspir já não pode,

a noite esfriou,

o dia não veio,

o bonde não veio,

o riso não veio,

não veio a utopia

e tudo acabou

e tudo fugiu

e tudo mofou,

e agora, José ?

E agora, José ?

Sua doce palavra,

seu instante de febre,

sua gula e jejum,

sua biblioteca,

sua lavra de ouro,

seu terno de vidro,

sua incoerência,

seu ódio - e agora ?

Com a chave na mão

quer abrir a porta,

não existe porta;

quer morrer no mar,

mas o mar secou;

quer ir para Minas,

Minas não há mais.

José, e agora ?

Se você gritasse,

se você gemesse,

se você tocasse

a valsa vienense,

se você dormisse,

se você cansasse,

se você morresse…

Mas você não morre,

você é duro, José !

Sozinho no escuro

qual bicho-do-mato,

sem teogonia,

sem parede nua

para se encostar,

sem cavalo preto

que fuja a galope,

você marcha, José !

José, pra onde ?

And I crashed down, and I tumbled

But I did not crumble

I got through all the pain

Survived my darkest hour

My faith kept me alive

I picked myself back up

Hold my head up high

I was not built to break

Barack Obama will be there!!!

Anne Marie is now quoting Whitney Houston for words of wisdom.

Who next sweetheart, Miley Cyrus!

:lol:

Archived