I Never Going To Rio!

Guest TOKYO!

What's your problem with Rio, Salvador boy?

Every brazilian metropole suffers from HUGE SECURITY PROBLEMS. h u g e.

Only a dumb person would choose any big city in brazil to spend his vacation instead of, for example, Caribbeans locations...

Same fun but with less risk.

The number of violent deaths in Brazil are only comparable to countries that are in WAR.

I have to agree that the numbers of murderes in major Brazilian cities are high, but as you know, there are area with high security levels and other dark areas.

My mother, unfortunatelly passed last years, lived 54 years in Rio de Janeiro without being mugged. You may say "lucky girl".

Her mother, my grandmother, 86 years, is also never mugger in Rio.

Me too and I know many others as I know people who have been mugged in Rio.

I confess I lived almost all my life in South Zone of Rio (Copacabana area).

There are two "Rio de Janeiros", one beautifull, amazing, a perfect destination for tourist. There are other Rio, mainly North Zone where there are real dark places.

The same for Sao Paulo.

I can't say nothing about your Salvador, a city that I really want to know one day.

PS: but if you ask me if I would change my country to any other country in the world my answer would be HELL NO. But as a tourist you have a bigger risk because you don't know places where you should avoid going, things that you shouldn't to use in public in certain locations, the time where it gets more riskier, etc.

I lived in rio for 12 years and was never even assaulted. But two months after a arrived in Lisboa to finish my studies someone stole my notebook. Can we conclude that rio is safer than lisboa? Obviously not. I was just acting like a fucking dumb tourist and payed the price.

The problem is that at our cities you can get killed for nothing if you react against a thief...

I have to agree that the numbers of murderes in major Brazilian cities are high, but as you know, there are area with high security levels and other dark areas.

My mother, unfortunatelly passed last years, lived 54 years in Rio de Janeiro without being mugged. You may say "lucky girl".

Her mother, my grandmother, 86 years, is also never mugger in Rio.

Me too and I know many others as I know people who have been mugged in Rio.

I confess I lived almost all my life in South Zone of Rio (Copacabana area).

There are two "Rio de Janeiros", one beautifull, amazing, a perfect destination for tourist. There are other Rio, mainly North Zone where there are real dark places.

The same for Sao Paulo.

I can't say nothing about your Salvador, a city that I really want to know one day.

read my above post. We posted at the same time.

Tourists are dumb by nature. When you're at a vacation you just only want to get fun/drunk/sex/drugs/etc. It could be become very dangerous if you're at one of our metropolis

Fully agreed except for recommend tourist for not coming to Brazil, Catra.

There is a entire tourism industry that generating millions of jobs in Brazil.

We need to fix security as quickly as posible, but saying people to not come to Brazil is make a lot of people a future unemployed.

For a while the big recommendation for those who come to Brazil is:

DON'T ACT LIKE TOURIST GOING TO A SAFARI OR HAWAII OR SWITZERLAND.

By saying this, all tourist will be safe.

Two of my colleagues here in France visited Rio in the last 12 months. One of them, during Christmas, when I was there with my family, and another in March. Both loved it and roamed around the streets careless. The one who went around Christmas got terrible weather and was amazed by the city anyway. She even met a couple in a bar who began talking to her and ended up inviting her to their apartment. She had a great time and was astonished by the fact that she was invited to dinner, something a Finish woman, like her, would consider unthinkable.

I met other foreigners who went to Rio and most of them loved it. My best impression was when I went to American Airlines ticket office to change a flight to the US and was held by a line of 5 Americans extending their stay in the city to enjoy it further.

So, I encourage people to visit Rio. I explain them about the safety issues and where they should or not go. They usually enjoy it and are thankful to me. But I don't mind. After all, I know tourism brings a lot of money and jobs to my home city, which helps to solve the social issues that we have been fighting there.

It's very common to see, mainly, americans extending their stay in Rio...

Last time I went to Rio, a black man looked at me and stopped me in the Av. N. Sra. Copacabana, and talked to me: You seems you speak English.

I told him I'm not that good...

He asked me some directions and in the end: Man, I'm here for 12 hours and I fall in love for Rio at first time!

Well, maybe he saw some pretty woman, maybe he like the weather (it was a beautiful day), this guy was from England and joke with me about Hamilton and Massa, we talked for 10 minutes and I told him to be carefull because he was dressed like an English. He told me he wants to go to the mall to buy carioca clothing after see Copacaba sea...

If he bought some more Brazilian clothing, I can say, he probably had a great time in Rio.

Last polls shows about 90% of the tourists that visit Rio say they would like to get back.

It's very common to see, mainly, americans extending their stay in Rio...

Last time I went to Rio, a black man looked at me and stopped me in the Av. N. Sra. Copacabana, and talked to me: You seems you speak English.

I told him I'm not that good...

He asked me some directions and in the end: Man, I'm here for 12 hours and I fall in love for Rio at first time!

Well, maybe he saw some pretty woman, maybe he like the weather (it was a beautiful day), this guy was from England and joke with me about Hamilton and Massa, we talked for 10 minutes and I told him to be carefull because he was dressed like an English. He told me he wants to go to the mall to buy carioca clothing after see Copacaba sea...

If he bought some more Brazilian clothing, I can say, he probably had a great time in Rio.

Last polls shows about 90% of the tourists that visit Rio say they would like to get back.

90% very good number! But I guess 10% not willing to get back, that's doesn't sounds good, I don't really now what's good and bad statistics here but according to me 1 out of 10 tourist having a bad experience Hmmmm...not a good number.. =\

90% very good number! But I guess 10% not willing to get back, that's doesn't sounds good, I don't really now what's good and bad statistics here but according to me 1 out of 10 tourist having a bad experience Hmmmm...not a good number.. =\

In these 10% there are people that probably thought Rio is just OK, it won't deserve a new visit...

I would love to visit Rio, I can't believe it is that much more dangerous than other big cities. I was only in Tokyo once, but would also love to return.

If you're planning to make reservations in a favela room then you can consider yourself in danger, but if YOu willing to pay for a nice hotel, it shud be all set eh?

My other grandmother never mugged in Brazil was robbed in Paris. The robber pointed her a gun in the head.

Never act like a tourist nowhere except Orlando.

She was lucky she didn't go to London.

She would have been shot by the police!

:lol:

Never act like a plumber when in London.....

If you're planning to make reservations in a favela room then you can consider yourself in danger, but if YOu willing to pay for a nice hotel, it shud be all set eh?

Not really. Most of young tourists visiting Rio chose to stay in one of the many hostels around the city. They make a cheap and fun accommodation option.

Not really. Most of young tourists visiting Rio chose to stay in one of the many hostels around the city. They make a cheap and fun accommodation option.

Isn't that what I've said?! Tourists must stay in a hotel or a house for their safety not In a favela.

I wanted to visit Rio/Brazil this summer but then I changed my idea (the cause was NOT the criminality) and went to South Africa that is also known for the very high crime rates.

We simply used the normal precautions like at any city/country in the world and everything went just fine.

Soon I'm coming to discover all the beauties of Brazil, Amazon included, that's for sure! ;)

I wanted to visit Rio/Brazil this summer but then I changed my idea (the cause was NOT the criminality) and went to South Africa that is also known for the very high crime rates.

We simply used the normal precautions like at any city/country in the world and everything went just fine.

Soon I'm coming to discover all the beauties of Brazil, Amazon included, that's for sure! ;)

FYI, Brazilian reporters recently covering the Confederations Cup felt that security was a bigger issue in South Africa than in Brazil. Cape Town seems to be a little bit better though. They were not always negative about the country. The stadia, for instance, was considered above the Brazilian standard.

FYI, Brazilian reporters recently covering the Confederations Cup felt that security was a bigger issue in South Africa than in Brazil. Cape Town seems to be a little bit better though. They were not always negative about the country. The stadia, for instance, was considered above the Brazilian standard.

I know, Johannesburg is the real problem of SA, in fact we avoided the city.

Instead Cape Town is a very charming seaside city with magnificent views&surrounds and a (tourist)friendly Waterfront with a big number of restaurants and hotels. Absolutely safe also in the evenings (there are the security guards all over).

So, my question is; if South Africa and Brazil are ready to host the Soccer World Cup, then why not the Olympics?

Not for sure for the security reasons because they remain the same as for the WC.

Archived