Around The Rings

thorbr

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
London is s the stabbing capital of Europe and home to all the islamic nutters in Europe (hence the nickname "Londonistan"!) yet it still won in 2005.

Well,we can all dig up headlines of this kind.Seems Paris really should have won! :lol:

/Paris officials are taking aim at city's crime rate

Dishonestly.But it won.....

Are you calling the IOC dishonest??? :blink:

oh please. have you ever been to Chicago's South Side?

Unfortunatelly never been to Chicago, that I believe it's a great city...

But I've heard about South Side here...

I have no data to discuss anything about the Windy City.

You show me a city that doesn't have a "dicey" neighbourhood.

London is the stabbing capital of Europe and home to all the islamic nutters in Europe (hence the nickname "Londonistan"!) yet it still won in 2005.

Dishonestly.

But it won.....

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...E303B40BB6235FC

London was and is also the world's foremost alpha city so that definitely aided it in winning!

oh please. have you ever been to Chicago's South Side?

'

I haven't. I was told not to. A Chicagoan friend of mine told me not to go where the street names were numbers.

But I did take the L-Train at night to go from the O'Hare vicinity to the Loop and very scared guys (gangster-type) came in, created a big mess, harassed a girl and talked about how bad they were to scare us. So I took a cab back to the hotel.

Frenchy has a good point in many ways. London is the worst place in Europe for stabbings and has had problems with terrorism. I don't think there's much point denying those facts.

It's about balancing things up though. These two factors are, and the IOC agreed, not significant enough in London's case to deny them the Games.

The same questions must be asked of Rio (and the other candidates). Are the problems with crime which have been talked about (and I believe were rather glossed over in the evaluation report in Rio's case) significant enough that any advantages in picking a particular city are overshadowed? Which side do the scales come down on when you balance everything up? Do the advantages outweight the problems? etc.

Crime is everywhere but in different proportions in every place. Yes, Rios rate is huge but it's always been like that, Chicago have some numbers too, way less but for the 1st world power country should it be less? Watching CNN now and a Chicago kid was beaten down to death walking home from school. U see these things happen everywhere, not much here where I am but in other US regions it's big. =\

Jeez!

An article from 2003!!

Now THAT'S what I call being up to date!!

:lol:

Well an article from 2003 was more up to date in 2005 than the one YOU quoted! At least the IOC had knowledge of the 2003 article but they couldn't fast forward into the future to read one from 2008!!

:lol:

Frenchy has a good point in many ways. London is the worst place in Europe for stabbings and has had problems with terrorism. I don't think there's much point denying those facts.

No one's denying any facts.All cities have their problems.The article Frenchy quoted was one from 2008 so it could hardly have had much bearing on the IOC 's decision 4 years ago but the article I quoted about Paris's crime problems from 2003 might conceivably have done...or not as the case may be! I think the IOC takes the whole package into consideration and I doubt reports about Paris's crime problems from 2003 would have had much bearing on their decision anymore than knowledge of London's current problems would have done!

So no..I don't think Frenchy has much of a point at all! B)

A lot of articles about security in the SOG show that the IOC is more worried of a big terrorist attack, like in Munich 72, than on public safety in general. Probably, they recognise that public safety risks in major events can be mitigated by short term additional security schemes.

This one is really heartbreaking:

patinhos-perdidos.jpeg

Up here in the U.S. we make a point of trying to save the little ducks when they fall in:

Although I wish these mother ducks would pay more attention to where they're leading their kids.

CHItown '16

Archived