Hudson's Bay In Vancouver

Kenadian

^ well, not ALL year round. It gets pretty good mid-spring, and then we have incredible summers and we hardly get any rain until late-September.

For the past few years, our Februarys have been relatively decent in Vancouver standards - in that there has been much less rain and a lot more sunny days.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told that when the Olympic Store opens on October 1st VANOC will being taking control. It will become the Official Olympic Store. HBC will be relinquishing control, i.e. you will no longer be able to use your Bay Card. Also, opening within the Olympic Store will be the official pin trading centre for the Olympics. There will also be a Coke Cafe opening.

Absolutely correct: people and things not ready to deal with lots of rain shouldn't stay in Vancouver. I've not seen billboards melting here in the winter, so I assume there's no problem creating ones that are water durable ;)

Was in the Bay yesterday and peeked through some curtains....and saw nothing. *pout*

Rain is part of Vancouver all around the year. Without rain, this is not the same city !

And believe me, I am not from Vancouver and i lived their a few month a few years ago, I can guarantee you that this is the only place on hearth that Rain is supportable !

i.e. you will no longer be able to use your Bay Card.

Yup - make sure you bring your Visa card... or cash...

The October pin of the month will also go on sale - it's a beauty, for the torch relay, based on the picture in the store. It's a larger pin so it'll be $10.

I have been told that when the Olympic Store opens on October 1st VANOC will being taking control. It will become the Official Olympic Store. HBC will be relinquishing control, i.e. you will no longer be able to use your Bay Card. Also, opening within the Olympic Store will be the official pin trading centre for the Olympics. There will also be a Coke Cafe opening.

Yes, as an olympic store (no specially controled by VANOC but by the company managing all the licencees product, in that case HBC) you could only pay with cach or a visa card (IOC TOP Sponsor).

It will be the same inside all sports venues at games time (to buy souvenirs or food)

Bay promises timeless designs for Winter Olympics clothing line

By Bruce Constantineau, Vancouver Sun

September 30, 2009

Remember the over-the-top Chinese/Canadian hodgepodge of graphic designs that dominated Canadian Olympic wear for the Beijing Games last year?

Critics felt it was psychedelia run amok.

Hudson's Bay Company president Jeff Sherman knows his retail chain dropped the design ball on that one (the Beijing gear) and he expects 2010 Olympic wear will receive a far better reaction when it's unveiled in The Bay's new Olympic Superstore in Vancouver on Thursday.

"I don't think that what we did for Beijing was representative of what the company is capable of doing," he said Tuesday. "It didn't transcend the time frame of the Games and it wasn't something people would put into their everyday wardrobe."

With its latest Olympic clothing line, HBC -- a national 2010 Games sponsor and the official clothing supplier to the 2010 Canadian team -- chose to embrace heritage and tradition, Sherman said. Long-term fashion played a major role in the design of typically Canadian winter wear, including parkas, knitted sweaters, toques, scarves and mittens.

"We have designed product to make sure it is something people will be happy to have as part of their wardrobe long after the Games are over -- not just something they'll want to wear for two weeks during the Games," he said.

While Team Canada's official look won't be unveiled until the Opening Ceremonies on Feb. 12, these products should give people a sense of what Canadian athletes will wear next year.

The downtown Vancouver Bay store is gearing up for a major Olympic makeover as it prepares to open a 21,000-square-foot Olympic Superstore on the flagship store's main floor on Thursday.

About 10,000 people a day are expected to visit the location during the Olympics. It will be the first Olympic Superstore housed in an existing retail store. Previous Games Superstores, which sell a wide variety of official Olympic merchandise, were located in temporary structures.

The Georgia and Granville Bay store also will be fully wrapped with Olympic images depicted in a series of five-metre-by-16-metre banners, being funded by HBC and Visa. Some of the murals are already up in anticipation of Thursday, when the City of Vancouver will allow major Olympic building wraps to be fully displayed.

The Superstore won't be the only addition to the downtown Bay.

The sixth floor will serve as Canada Olympic House during the Games, becoming a hospitality venue for Canadian athletes and their friends, relatives and sponsors. The fifth floor will become an "international pavilion" that will sell official Olympic merchandise from 10 or 11 countries.

"So inside this building will be the place to come and the place to be for anything related to the Olympics in downtown Vancouver," Sherman said.

HBC hopes its strong Olympic connection will help to kickstart a retail brand that has lost its focus in recent years. Sherman expects much of the pride and enthusiasm created by the Olympics will be transferred to HBC as the company's history is tied to the history of Canada.

"Our headline theme is: 'We were made for this' and that covers three points of view -- Canadians were made to compete, Canadians were made to host the Olympics and the Hudson's Bay Company was made to be a part of this as a national sponsor."

Olympic merchandise sales have exceeded expectations so far, Sherman said, but he wouldn't reveal his company's final sales target, other than saying it's "big, significant, meaningful and important."

bconstantineau@vancouversun.com

See more stories on the 2010 Winter Games at vancouversun.com/olympics

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Hudson's Bay Company president Jeff Sherman knows his retail chain dropped the design ball on that one (the Beijing gear) and he expects 2010 Olympic wear will receive a far better reaction when it's unveiled in The Bay's new Olympic Superstore in Vancouver on Thursday.

So they're reveiling the gear tomorrow, and announcing the 2016 Olympics host? Interesting day for the GB board. B)

Absolutely....not bad at all. I agree a bit too black and not enough Maple Leaf red. But not bad at all. Certainly no Beijing, thank gawd.

The outfits earn a thumb's up from me. Sure they maybe on the plain side after what we saw from the past. But I like them, especially the parka. I actually liked the HBC's Beijing gear and the red Canada hoody from Torino. Never got a chance to buy them...

I think since the 90s, black was started to get used more as a "flavoring" color since it may have been as boring to have just red and white like on the flag. Black always had a popularity, so it makes things interesting like apparel. That and the Pacific Northwest connection, though I thought it was more pine green (forestry) and blue (the water).

Love it. Very Canadian:)

16675_m15.jpg

The guy on the right looks like he just walked off the set of The Great White North with Bob and Doug MacKenzie. Take-off eh!

I'm surprised that a member here that likes to go on and on about the BC Place roof ;) hasn't chimed in yet and asked "where's the matching unbrellas for when the BC Place roof rips?" :rolleyes::lol:

It's a ton better than what they came up with for Beijing...it's a small improvement from what they had for Torino, but nothing beats what Roots made.

With that said, some of it is high quality enough that I'll actually buy...this will be the first time since the Roots Athens 2004 gear that i will be buying some Canadian Olympic gear.

Well I'm off to the Bay tomorrow after the Copenhagen for a closer look. Not much available online except for kids. Hopefully some of the stuff I want will be there.

I do wish there was more red stuff: I want our athletes to see a sea of red when they compete on our behalf. I've got a few Hockey Canada jerseys, but for Cypress all I got is my goofy hat, scarf and gloves.