US moves to #6 per

Per the latest FIFA rankings released today, the US National Men's team is #6 in the world.  

Latest FIFA men's team rankings

Within the last month and by this list, the US :unclesam: has shot past France, England, Spain, Portugal AND Germany.  Italy is #14.

Hmmm... who was saying 2018 should/will go to England because they are a stronger soccer power?  Huh? huh?

exactly, proves that the FIFA Rankings are crap.  The USA are definately not a top 10 team.  So what they have moved up to 6th by beating Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba and Jamaica.  Considering CONCACAF is one of the weakest confederations.  The Gold Cup is given as much points as the EURO Cup when that comeptition is 10x better.  Hell Canada has won the Gold Cup so thats proof enough.

And why must you start a new topic on anything and everything American, quite frankly im sick of reading about every little thing American, makes me sick actually.  Excuse me while i go to the washroom.

CONCACAF is stronger than Africa, Asia or Oceania

Top three

CONCACAF - Mexico - 5, USA - 6, Costa Rica - 23

Africa - Egypt - 26, Cameroon - 27, Nigeria - 29

Asia - Japan - 13, Iran - 15, Saudi Arabia - 28

we are not going to look at Oceania

And why must you start a new topic on anything and everything American, quite frankly im sick of reading about every little thing American, makes me sick actually.  Excuse me while i go to the washroom.

whooo-hooo!  Says a bitter expert!  I just start it because some other idiots here always start things about Spain and Greece AND Canada - so why not the US?  Yes, you should definitely go to the washroom and wash away those dirty, un-neighborly thoughts.

If you're sick of it, then stay away from the topic, but like all Canadians, you are irresistably drawn to all things U.S.  :suspect:  Look into my eyes, McPortu...you are getting sleepy, you are getting sleepier....

:unclesam:

FIFA Ranking's are always exagerated and doesn't seem to show how things are really.  And beyond I go further, I want to put in clear that this has nothing to do with the US - Mexico fights that explode in every topic in here.

One thing is for sure: Brazil is the most consistent team in the world and it is obvious they rule the game.  Argentine are becoming more respectable and their team is surely one of the greatest in the last years.  USA has improved a lot in the last 6 years, boosted by a good World Cup in 1994 and of course can be among the 15 top teams in the world... but 6th place is way too much, just like Mexico's 5th, Netherlands 3rd and Czech Republic 4th.  All well balanced teams, with creative play, interesting players... but not the winners of a great cup.

In the case of the Americans, as I stated before is wonderful how they can now play head to head with the Englishmen and get a fair tie.  They have grown, point.  The European teams on the other side seem to think they're still unsinkable and that's their major problem in major competitions.

Mexico's case... well they also have grown and had proven that they are capable of beating the giants... but when it comes to poor teams (Panama or Colombia for example) they get too confident and lose what they have gained in the last decades.

Of course, nothing is written and stone and the rankings show only the evolution from one month to the other, meaning that teams that had not played in a long time do not advance in the scale and some teams, even the mediocre ones advance 6, 9 or 12 places in one month.

Again, congrats to the US, even when they are not in number 6, 'cause they're now true rivals... and to the rest... don't think that top places are forever.

any team in the top 25 on any given day can beat any other team, the top 25 teams there is little between them, it just comes down to who can perform at the right moment in time. Look at Germany, high ranked team, but no close to the top, went all the way to the finals playing some teams that are high up too, and Greece too

Not surprised about the rankings whatsoever. Besides, once the World Cup 2006 roster is complete, I would like to know which top national teams DID NOT qualify for next year's tournament.

This six position is due mainly to the successes of US Team in this year Gold Cup....

Although Fifa rankings use a little weird  calculation method (there´s no bonus for winning tournments, for example), it´s nice to see USA doing well in soccer...

I just hope American sports fans pay attention to it...

The USA are looking stronger all the time and have consolidated their position as a top 16 side (i.e. knockout stages of a world cup), but I can't believe they're the sixth best team out there. How Mexico and the USA can be ahead of England, Spain, Portugal and even France is beyond me.

It could well because the European nations haven't played an international match for months and the USA have apparently done well in the "Gold Cup" (is this like our European Champs, I've never heard of it, sorry). But as has been mentioned, the CONCACAF isn't exactly UEFA.

mmm... who was saying 2018 should/will go to England because they are a stronger soccer power?  Huh? huh?

I think a comparsion between the Premiership and MLS will give you your answer.

BTW, can anyone give me a list of the fixtures this latest list was based upon (?) as I'd be very surprised if any of the top European teams had any matches during this period.

Hmmm... who was saying 2018 should/will go to England because they are a stronger soccer power?  Huh? huh?

Lets say that NYC wins 2016, and the USA decides to also bid for the 2018 FIFA world cup......this would be excellent news for an England 2018 bid, and would actually strengthen the England bid. Why is this?

At the moment, London is hosting 2012, so if an England 2018 bid is to go ahead, then there will be many people in international circles, who would be against England getting to host so many sporting events, and would probably not support the idea of England hosting the world cup only 6 years after the olympics. (even though the USA, Mexico and West Germany hosted both sporting events with only a 2 year gap in the past).

However, if the USA put forward a bid against England for 2018, after winning the 2016 olympic, this is an even more unacceptable idea- the USA once again getting to host the olympics and world cup within 2 years of each other (which is what they did in 1994/96).

All of a sudden, the idea of England hosting 2012 SOG and 2018 world cup seems far more acceptable, not to mention that Engalnd has not hosted the world cup since 1966 (52 years distance to 2018), compared to only 24 years between 1994 and 2018.

England's real threat to hosting 2018 is China, a country which has never hosted before (so this fits in perfectly with the new frontiers argument which saw SA being awarded 2010, and Brazil 2014), also it is the world's biggest market with a population of roughly 1.3 billion people. England would probably lose to China.

But if the England is to go up against the USA for 2018, a country which is hosting the 2016 olympics as well, then it England will easily defeat the USA bid, no problem. It will be a blessing, if the USA is the only bid that England has to compete with.

How Mexico and the USA can be ahead of England, Spain, Portugal and even France is beyond me.

Precisely...

It's ridiculous that the USA are ranked 6th, whilst Germany (runner up in 2002 world cup, winners of Euro 1996) are ranked 10th, not to mention France (winners of the 1998 world cup and Euro 2000), ranked 7th, one place behind the USA.

This list is simply hilarious......

In the case of the Americans, as I stated before is wonderful how they can now play head to head with the Englishmen and get a fair tie.  

A fair tie? I don't think so....

England beat the USA 2-1 in Chicago on may 28th 2005. This was despite Eriksson, having played, what was pretty much a B-grade, 2nd-choice England team.

England's main stars: Beckham, Owen, Ferdinand, Scholes, Rooney, Lampard did not play in this match.

You're all in denial.  The list is there.  It's an official FIFA list; I didn't make it up.  Believe it or disbelieve, I really don't care.  Sometimes countries are up; sometimes they're down.

Suit-U  (where did u get such a weird name?)  :rolleyes:   Hmmm your England 2012-2018 argument doesn't make much sense.  Let me do a little reverse on that:  the 1994 World Cup was awarded to the US, I believe sometime in mid-1987.  Yet 3 years later, in Tokyo, in September 1990, Atlanta won 1996 -- so your 2018 hypothesis (which was too muddled, I really didn't pay too much attention to it) doesn't really hold water.

England beat the USA 2-1 in Chicago on may 28th 2005. This was despite Eriksson, having played, what was pretty much a B-grade, 2nd-choice England team.

That was a friendly.   That doesn't count.

friendlies do count towards ranking

That was a friendly.   That doesn't count.

friendlies do count towards ranking

Well, it moved the US up and England down.  OK, I'll buy that.

You're all in denial.  The list is there.  It's an official FIFA list; I didn't make it up.  Believe it or disbelieve, I really don't care.  Sometimes countries are up; sometimes they're down.

America couldn't beat England reserves in their own back yard, so anyone who tries to claim that America are better than England doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

It is difficult to say which countries are the best in football? Were Turkey and South Korea the 3rd and 4rd best team in the world in 2002? Is US the 6th best team now? I think we all know the answers for that.

But there are the rules of the game. A team could be better than other, but if in the 92'+ the bad team scores, the good is out. End of the game, end of the discussion.

Now, of course US should have more points because CONCACAF is the only place in the world with national matches. Europe is in holidays and Southamerica only plays Copamérica and the Qualifying matches for 2006 WC. Anyway, congratz to US. Chile was 6th in 1998 and now we are 80th? 90th?  :laugh:

Per the latest FIFA rankings released today, the US National Men's team is #6 in the world.  

Latest FIFA men's team rankings

Within the last month and by this list, the US :unclesam: has shot past France, England, Spain, Portugal AND Germany.  Italy is #14.

well Fifa would do everything to make sure of its largest profit.. even to put a mediocre soccer nation in a position which can't annoy one of the most taxpayer of Fifa..

I don't know if you're talking seriously (only the gods know it) considering this ranking.. :glare:

any magazine, website or every surprised news could deny the reality:

the great champions, the great teams and the best winner nations of this tourney are in Europe :)

baron-pierreIV,

No one really pays attention to the FIFA rankings as they don't really mean much.  As others have pointed out, the rankings are as much a reflection of how many games a side has played as they are a reflection of how well the team actually played in those games.  It's possible for a team to to lose and have its rankings go up under the system FIFA uses.

The U.S is currently up because of its play in the Gold Cup.  It played Cuba, the Canadian development team and a banged up Costa Rica in its group at that tournament.  Hardly the group of death.  

That said, I do agree that the U.S is doing a lot of exciting things in international football.  I think its great for the sport on this side of the pond (I'm Canadian).  I hope the US does well in Germany.  I also hope Mexico and whoever else represents NA in Germany does well too.  

But the US isn't the 6th best football nation in the world.

Archived