What Do You Expect To See On Oct 2nd ?! :)

What do I expect to see?

From Tokyo : Amazing videos and High tech stuff, thats about it.

Rio: Music, energy, and crying speeches .. ?

Chicago: celebrities and "Yes we can".. dont expect much more ..

Madrid: "Secure games" and rounds after "we support Rio!"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I be honest?

Tokyo - Not big excitment

Rio - Smiles, overconfidence, sentimental statements and Pele

Chicago - Don't know what to expect

Madrid - People trying to prove that they understand IOC requirements... rounds after "we support Rio"

I expect each bid will emphasize it's strengths and deflect it's weaknesses.

-Madrid will emphasize how 80% of venues and infrastructure are complete and that the Spanish people support their bid more than any of the others.

-Chicago will emphasize diversity and have Oprah, Obama etc to push that message. Also, Chicago will push their 'games in a park' concept.

-Tokyo will emphasize it's compact bid, financial guarantees and how Tokyo last hosted in 1964

-Rio will emphasize it's new frontier angle and push a highly emotive bid based on that more than anything.

Just some thoughts!

Madrid -- huge public support, enthusiasm and energy.

Tokyo -- pristine, finely-tuned, elegant.

Rio -- color, intensity, intelligent organization, a very hard-hitting emotional appeal.

Chicago -- will wring every bit of emotion out of it they possibly can. Addressing not only diversity, but the inner-city and the desire to initiate a new era of warmth and openness in the relationship between the United States and the world. So far I would say that Chicago has shown less artistic finesse than the other three bids. I hope this will change in the final presentation. Their over the top security team suggests they're planning something significant.

Madrid -- huge public support, enthusiasm and energy.

Tokyo -- pristine, finely-tuned, elegant.

Rio -- color, intensity, intelligent organization, a very hard-hitting emotional appeal.

Chicago -- will wring every bit of emotion out of it they possibly can. Addressing not only diversity, but the inner-city and the desire to initiate a new era of warmth and openness in the relationship between the United States and the world. So far I would say that Chicago has shown less artistic finesse than the other three bids. I hope this will change in the final presentation. Their over the top security team suggests they're planning something significant.

Good analysis for Chicago

I hope for great presentations of the four cities

I have absolutely nothing to loose since I know that all four cities could host fantastic Olympic Games

I'll just see what happens - of course my excitement will increase when Rogge starts the sentence "and the 2016 Olympics goes to..."

Good analysis for Chicago

I agree, it was a good analysis for Chicago. Looking at that though it makes me wonder one thing..with all the security planning and everything I do have to wonder if the media saying Michael Jordan isn't going to be in Copenhagen and MJ himself saying no is just a front and he will end up being there after all? It would have to be either MJ or another huge name in order for there to be this much security planning in advance of Friday.

As far as Tokyo goes, yeah will probably be a flashy, high-tech presentation.

Madrid will certainly focus on the high public support for their bid.

Rio...I can't shake this feeling their presentation is more or less going to be "South America has never hosted an Olympics before" over and over. Not in those exact words but they'll basically spend 45 minutes saying that exact thing several different ways.

Just my few cents worth :)

I also expect that :While the US is bringing Michelle, Oprah or in general Celebrities, Brazil should take children and teens with them, Like they've brought a few kids a few months ago to hand in the envelopes.. This also something I think Madrid would do; biggg public support and their little kiddy hand Logo :) lol idk if it would have an impact but would definately help.

"South America has never hosted an Olympics before" over and over. Not in those exact words but they'll basically spend 45 minutes saying that exact thing several different ways.

Don't believe on it.

Did you watched the SportAccord's presentation of Rio bid???

They talked about new frontiers twice... Quickly in the beggining with the famous map and at the end offering a new continent plenty of young people.

In the rest of time they talked a lot about the master plan, technical details and money...

Then, called a beach volleyball player to talk about Rio's passion about sport...

Not much "South America has never host", indeed, Rio presentations got very high quality standards in IOC EC Evaluation Report...

This isn't so much what I expect, but what I think they should be going for in their final presentations:

Tokyo

1. Amazing panormas of their island concept, fly-throughs emphasising the size and awesomeness of the project they're offering the IOC. Play up the Japanese stereotypes; have everything looking shiny and hi-tech. Do what London did and use computer graphics to their advantage.

2. Emphasise the lighter side of the bid and the Japanese people. There's a danger these games could be seen as Beijing MkII; very hi-tech, awe inspiriing, but lacking a little in humour and the human touch. They need to distinguish themselves from Beijing and the best way of doing so is to emphasise those areas where Beijing was lacking - there weren't many but there were some.

Madrid

1. Emphasise the low risk approach to hosting an Olympic games. Show off the amazing existing venues as much as possible like the magic box.

2. Add a bit of pazzaz to the presentation. Though this bid is all about a low-risk approach, that's not what'll give it an improabable victory. Get Nadal up to speak or someone of his ilk. London did it with Beckham and, if I remember correctly, Denise Lewis.

3. Don't do what they did in 2012 and make what looked like a very slick tourist video!

Rio

1. Place the emphasis of South America not hosting on the opportunities it offers the IOC, not on the injustices of the past (I doubt they'll get this wrong to be honest).

2. Brilliant renders showing off not only the venues but the landscape are an absolute must. The pictures I've seen posted on this forum suggest Rio will do this very well.

3. Do not sweep over the technical stuff. That's undoubedly Rio's weakness compared to other bids, but it'll be noticable by its absense if not tackled head on in the presentations. If necessary, turn these weaknesses to your advantage by putting them under the legacy umbrella; it doesn't matter, just don't leave them hanging in the air and IOC members wondering.

Chicago:

1. Get Obama there. Honestly, I'm not sure I like the emphasis that has been placed on his presence but people who know better than I suggest it could be a "game changer"

2. Emphasise how everything is close to the city centre and the dualistic nature of the city - its bustling downtown and its beautiful lakefront. Match Rio's fanciful renders with shiny ones of their own. It's a beautiful concept but so far the emphasis has been on the lack of white elephants to reassure residents. That's all very good, but Chicago must realise they're talking to a different audience in Copenhagen. Emphasise the "Games in the City" and the brilliance of the new venues being offereed. Sell the concept for its positives, not for its mitigation of future negatives.

This isn't so much what I expect, but what I think they should be going for in their final presentations:

Tokyo

1. Amazing panormas of their island concept, fly-throughs emphasising the size and awesomeness of the project they're offering the IOC. Play up the Japanese stereotypes; have everything looking shiny and hi-tech. Do what London did and use computer graphics to their advantage.

2. Emphasise the lighter side of the bid and the Japanese people. There's a danger these games could be seen as Beijing MkII; very hi-tech, awe inspiriing, but lacking a little in humour and the human touch. They need to distinguish themselves from Beijing and the best way of doing so is to emphasise those areas where Beijing was lacking - there weren't many but there were some.

Madrid

1. Emphasise the low risk approach to hosting an Olympic games. Show off the amazing existing venues as much as possible like the magic box.

2. Add a bit of pazzaz to the presentation. Though this bid is all about a low-risk approach, that's not what'll give it an improabable victory. Get Nadal up to speak or someone of his ilk. London did it with Beckham and, if I remember correctly, Denise Lewis.

3. Don't do what they did in 2012 and make what looked like a very slick tourist video!

Rio

1. Place the emphasis of South America not hosting on the opportunities it offers the IOC, not on the injustices of the past (I doubt they'll get this wrong to be honest).

2. Brilliant renders showing off not only the venues but the landscape are an absolute must. The pictures I've seen posted on this forum suggest Rio will do this very well.

3. Do not sweep over the technical stuff. That's undoubedly Rio's weakness compared to other bids, but it'll be noticable by its absense if not tackled head on in the presentations. If necessary, turn these weaknesses to your advantage by putting them under the legacy umbrella; it doesn't matter, just don't leave them hanging in the air and IOC members wondering.

Chicago:

1. Get Obama there. Honestly, I'm not sure I like the emphasis that has been placed on his presence but people who know better than I suggest it could be a "game changer"

2. Emphasise how everything is close to the city centre and the dualistic nature of the city - its bustling downtown and its beautiful lakefront. Match Rio's fanciful renders with shiny ones of their own. It's a beautiful concept but so far the emphasis has been on the lack of white elephants to reassure residents. That's all very good, but Chicago must realise they're talking to a different audience in Copenhagen. Emphasise the "Games in the City" and the brilliance of the new venues being offereed. Sell the concept for its positives, not for its mitigation of future negatives.

Brilliant.

Being a Rio supporter, thus knowing more about this bid, I have two comments that they should emphasize to the most techy voters:

1. The legacy card will be played. The dispersion of the venue plan might be mitigated by showing that the SOG will go to all areas of the city with different socio-economic profiles, since a regular complaint about events in Rio is that they try to hide the city poor side. And the transformations on urban development (especially transport) as a lever for a city social and economical transformation. Yesterday a study has been released to the press that shows that the SOG effects on the economy will last until 2027 and would be felt country-wide, due to the supply chains that will be affected.

2. The legacy of the PanAm Games as a successful event and as a proof that the city can cope with the management of an Olympic Games edition might also be there. This week, it was confirmed that the management of the SOG, if Rio wins, will be the same as the PanAm Games, one of the strengths of the bid exposed in the evaluation report.

I think our Rio should add that it's UNSURE it can handle two world mega-events in 2 years...not counting two Carnavales in between!!

I mean we Cariocas will be exhausted and dissipated by the time 2016 rolls around!!

The plural for carnaval is carnavais, not carnavales. We speak Portuguese, not Spanish. And carnaval is celebrated every year for years and years in almost all cities of Brazil, and Rio, a show on their own, could always do it without any problems, every year better than the previous one. Not to mention mega events like New Years eve and Rock In Rio 1, 2 and 3.

Rio de Janeiro will be only one of twelve hosts of the World Cup, something WAY less demanding than hosting the olympics, something we will be preparing on full throttle, before, during and after the world cup.

Guessing about the content is, well, guessing. So I'll go for tone instead. :)

Madrid: very Castillian cool (as in calm). Logical, but building through its presentation that emphasizes public support at the end.

Tokyo: a reasoned argument supported with state-of-the-art digital image, audio and video.

Rio: a narrative that weaves in their messaging. Lots of Brazilian colour and passion, but lots of messaging about planning and preparation.

Chicago: eloquent everything-but-the-kitchen sink. Very polished, very much linking Chicago the world city to Chicago the Olympic Games

I think Chicago will be having a disavantage, Rios presentation will be right after Chicagos, and if they deliver a great and emotional presentation, Obama(if he attends) could be fading in the background, and let the energy and excitement takes over. It mightn't happen but it makes somewhat sense.. Tokyo being the first will be forgotten... ? And Madrid for last will get boring? I believe last impressions is what's matter, so Madrid being last needs to be the most enthusiastic presentation for a chance for some votes..

please and please!!! dont create songs for your bid!!!!

e.g. we are ready for the games...or that stupid paris 2012 song.

use an existing song e.g. Proud or summin else

Make your venue flyovers EXCITING..take IOC members inside venues...

The principle remains the same...if you don't get the IOC as excited about your bid as you are then forget about it.

Get your VISION across...show them Day 1 of the Games e.g. Sochi.

Ask questions....and answer them....e.g. what do athletes want? how do we place athletes at the CENTRE of the games.

Mention your distances if you are chicago, madrid, tokyo...dont mention distances if you are rio

I think Chicago will be having a disavantage, Rios presentation will be right after Chicagos, and if they deliver a great and emotional presentation, Obama(if he attends) could be fading in the background, and let the energy and excitement takes over.

Hmmmm....what do they say? FIRST impressions are everything.

And if Chicago delivers a knock-out presentation which I think they will; that makes Rio's job that much harder to MATCH or top the previous presentation because the first one is ALREADY embedded in the voter's mind.

Hmmmm....what do they say? FIRST impressions are everything.

And if Chicago delivers a knock-out presentation which I think they will; that makes Rio's job that much harder to MATCH or top the previous presentation because the first one is ALREADY embedded in the voter's mind.

Well we can all agree Rio knows how to put on a exciting show. I don't think it'll be hard to top the others. And there's so much expectation on the Obama speech and it's making it sounds like a Chicago victory, if he does not attend many of you will be deceptioned, and that doesn't mean Chicago will loose, the bid does not rely on it's president..

The plural for carnaval is carnavais, not carnavales. We speak Portuguese, not Spanish. And carnaval is celebrated every year for years and years in almost all cities of Brazil, and Rio, a show on their own, could always do it without any problems, every year better than the previous one. Not to mention mega events like New Years eve and Rock In Rio 1, 2 and 3.

Rio de Janeiro will be only one of twelve hosts of the World Cup, something WAY less demanding than hosting the olympics, something we will be preparing on full throttle, before, during and after the world cup.

Details..details, Denis. We have to think INTERNATIONALLY now. We have to forget the Portuguese this and that. These are NOT the Lusophony Games!! These are The REAL THING...the OLYMPIC GAMES.

Besides, if my fair city has to charter cruise ships for MUCH-NEEDED rooms -- you know we do NOT HAVE ENOUGH quality hotel rooms for 2014 and 2016, so we will probably have to get Carnival Lines! So all my beloved Cariocans will have to get used to the name Carnival Cruise ships!!!

BTW, a friend from California took an 8-day cruise ship to South America. It started in Valparaiso, Chile; then went down around the Cape, and THEN ended up in Montevideo- Buenos Aires. But somehow our fair city of Rio WAS NOT INCLUDED; I wonder why??? Maybe the crime???

Archived